Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SLC Baseball Tournament
Bookmark and Share
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
SLC Baseball Tournament
After a fantastic start and the best OOC record ever, TXST fell apart in SLC play; ending the season in 3rd place

In their final SLC season, the Bobcats get to host the SLC tournament for the second straight year. While the hitting has not held up their part of the deal, pitching ranks 11th in DI.

What the Cats do have on their side is that, although ending @ only 31-22 (worst record in recent memory), they were 20-6 at home. Home losses were to Baylor, Santa Clara (opening day) and 4 conference games (diff teams) where they otherwise took the series.
Home wins included sweeping Oregon, Notre Dame and wins over Rice, TCU, Wichita St and Louisiana-Lafayette.

What started out as very promising and a no-brainer for an at-large, at worst.....now makes it imperitive for TXST to take the tournament for an NCAA spot.

Tourney starts tomorrow with TXST game @ 4PM
05-22-2012 10:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
RE: SLC Baseball Tournament
(05-22-2012 10:18 PM)CatMom Wrote:  After a fantastic start and the best OOC record ever, TXST fell apart in SLC play; ending the season in 3rd place

In their final SLC season, the Bobcats get to host the SLC tournament for the second straight year. While the hitting has not held up their part of the deal, pitching ranks 11th in DI.

What the Cats do have on their side is that, although ending @ only 31-22 (worst record in recent memory), they were 20-6 at home. Home losses were to Baylor, Santa Clara (opening day) and 4 conference games (diff teams) where they otherwise took the series.
Home wins included sweeping Oregon, Notre Dame and wins over Rice, TCU, Wichita St and Louisiana-Lafayette.

What started out as very promising and a no-brainer for an at-large, at worst.....now makes it imperitive for TXST to take the tournament for an NCAA spot.

It's now a FINAL: Texas State Bobcats 11 SFA 1, NEXT! COGS02-13-banana
05-23-2012 06:45 PM
tux Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
(05-23-2012 06:45 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(05-22-2012 10:18 PM)CatMom Wrote:  After a fantastic start and the best OOC record ever, TXST fell apart in SLC play; ending the season in 3rd place

What surprises me is that first seeded Sam Houston got blown out by last seeded Corpus Cristi. They were horrible today and their ace pitcher was pulled out in the second inning.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2012 07:05 PM by tux.)
05-23-2012 07:05 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(05-23-2012 07:05 PM)tux Wrote:  

What surprises me is that first seeded Sam Houston got blown out by last seeded Corpus Cristi. They were horrible today and their ace pitcher was pulled out in the second inning.

SHSU being taken out is awesome! Bobcats have SE La. tonight at 7pm . . we did not do well against them during the regular season (understatement, I know). Which means we certainly owe 'em a little something . . .
05-24-2012 09:00 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(05-24-2012 09:00 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

SHSU being taken out is awesome! Bobcats have SE La. tonight at 7pm . . we did not do well against them during the regular season (understatement, I know). Which means we certainly owe 'em a little something . . .

SE La 7, TX ST 1 . . . . Now it's Win OR Go Home . . .
05-25-2012 07:42 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(05-25-2012 07:42 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(05-24-2012 09:00 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

SE La 7, TX ST 1 . . . . Now it's Win OR Go Home . . .

SFA 9 - TX ST 7, You can now stick a fork in us.
05-25-2012 02:27 PM
Advertisement

TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
(05-25-2012 02:27 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  SFA 9 - TX ST 7, You can now stick a fork in us.

Welp, I guess we will see you next year!

Now yall are ready for SBC play.
05-25-2012 04:32 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(05-25-2012 04:32 PM)TrojanNation Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 02:27 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  SFA 9 - TX ST 7, You can now stick a fork in us.

Welp, I guess we will see you next year!

Now yall are ready for SBC play.

Looking forward to it, 1 year to play in the WAC, and then SBC here we come . .. . have heard nothing but great things about SBC Baseball, so we're looking forward to the challenge . ..
05-25-2012 04:36 PM
TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
(05-25-2012 04:36 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Looking forward to it, 1 year to play in the WAC, and then SBC here we come . .. . have heard nothing but great things about SBC Baseball, so we're looking forward to the challenge . ..

Oh yeah, I forgot about that year in WAC...
05-25-2012 04:47 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
On a side note, UT-Arlington is doing very well in the SLC Tournament. They have 33-23 record with a #64 RPI... They have beaten McNeese State and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi so far in the tournament. They are beating a Sam Houston State (37-19) as we speak 4-2 in the 5th inning.

Looks like baseball will still be solid after expansion, even with the loss of FIU.
05-25-2012 05:20 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

It was really emotional after that second loss. We have seniors who wanted nothing more than to make a regional again in their senior year (they have been twice) but we had a lot of young guys and non-tournament hardened players.
Our RF/LHP went out with a 3/4 day. 2 HR (1 a grand slam) and a double, accounting for 6 of the 7 runs (5 RBI and another RS)

The bottom part of our line-up just wasn't hitting and that doesn't help you win games. After McVaney hit the GS in the 8th inning...there were no out and the next 3 guys couldn't get anything more going. The other team was teeing off on all our pitchers. Just wasn't happening.

We do have a sophomore heavy team and our infield, next year, will be mainly (then) sophomores so, hopefully by the time we hit the SBC, they'll be more cohesive and prepared for adversity.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 08:10 PM by CatMom.)
05-25-2012 08:10 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

#4 UTA took out #1 seed SHSU. Eliminated
#6 SFA just beat #2 SELA.
Elimination game tomorrow morning, same 2 teams
SELA and SFA
UTA has no losses.
Looks like UTA will likely take this thing. I can totally live with that.
05-25-2012 09:47 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(05-25-2012 09:47 PM)CatMom Wrote:  #4 UTA took out #1 seed SHSU. Eliminated
SELA and SFA
UTA has no losses.

I know as a mid-major,our best shot at a regional was to win the tournament; however, we did have a heavy OOC Schedule this year & we did post some quality wins. How do you feel about our chances for an At-Large?
05-25-2012 10:23 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
That sucks but one good thing about moving to the SBC is that 40 wins usually gets you an at large invite.
05-25-2012 11:06 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(05-25-2012 10:23 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
SELA and SFA
UTA has no losses.

I know as a mid-major,our best shot at a regional was to win the tournament; however, we did have a heavy OOC Schedule this year & we did post some quality wins. How do you feel about our chances for an At-Large?
We have no chance at an at-large. Our record just kills it and our ending RPI seals the deal. SAM thinks they're a lock for one but I'd be surprised if the SLC gets a second invite. Only teams from the B12, SEC, or ACC with a record like ours would be considered by the committee and I just don't think we should get one, regardless. Too much inexperience and lack of hitting in the bottom of the line-up.

Kalenkosky was not that sharp this year and Sib, Big Mo and Mac can not carry a team into a Regional by themselves.
05-25-2012 11:40 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Here's some perspective
Mid-Major Conference
SoCon - end of regular season (Conference RPI 7)
Appalachian State 39-16 (21-9) vs top 50 7-7, RPI 40
College of Charleston 37-20 (21-9) vs top 50 7-12, RPI 46
BOTH eliminated form SoCon tournament
winner will be 3, 4, 6, or 7th seed
App, COC or both will get in
their 3rd and 4th seeds RPI are higher than SAM.

SLC Conference RPI 14

SAM
38-20 (24-9) vs top 50 4-5, RPI 51

There are 31 conferences plus Independents. That's 32 right there. Then the next 32 best teams and you know the power conferences will get 2-3 in. Then the other "FBS" conferences, Mid-major conferences with higher RPI teams (ala SocCon) get a second. The SLC even getting that second bid is going to be very hard.
05-25-2012 11:52 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(05-25-2012 11:40 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
SELA and SFA
UTA has no losses.

We have no chance at an at-large. Our record just kills it and our ending RPI seals the deal. SAM thinks they're a lock for one but I'd be surprised if the SLC gets a second invite. Only teams from the B12, SEC, or ACC with a record like ours would be considered by the committee and I just don't think we should get one, regardless. Too much inexperience and lack of hitting in the bottom of the line-up.

Kalenkosky was not that sharp this year and Sib, Big Mo and Mac can not carry a team into a Regional by themselves.

Texas State has some very nice wins, especially that widweek sweep of #1/#9 Oregon. Too bad the RPI is in the 60's. If it was in the 50's or 40's then Texas State would have a chance.

Solid season though, there were a lot of nice wins. Can't wait to have them in the SBC for baseball.
05-26-2012 09:04 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
SELA and SFA
UTA has no losses.

I think the SLC is going to get two. Sam needs to root for SELA today. If SELA wins, I think Sam gets in. If UTA wins, it's going to be a tough choice between Sam and SELA.
05-26-2012 10:43 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(05-26-2012 10:43 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  
SELA and SFA
UTA has no losses.

I think the SLC is going to get two. Sam needs to root for SELA today. If SELA wins, I think Sam gets in. If UTA wins, it's going to be a tough choice between Sam and SELA.

The SLC rarely gets 2 in. Last time was 2009 when we got in but we had over 40 wins and an RPI of 37. We got at large despite losing the SLC tournament.

SAM needs a lot of help to get an at large with an RPI of 52 and "big boy" conference champions losing their tourneys
And please don't use the vs. top 50 argument because ours was 3-7 in 2009.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 03:32 PM by CatMom.)
05-26-2012 03:28 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

UTA pummels SELA 13-4 to win the SLC tournament

SELA RPI way too low
SAM on the bubble (per Kendall Rogers). Just have to wait until Monday but, as I said, so far several of the top 25 teams have been booted from their tourneys and I don't see them not getting in, and the biased committee will put a crap UT in over a SAM.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 09:05 PM by CatMom.)
05-26-2012 08:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.