Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DNJ: MT emails made case for cusa
Bookmark and Share
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
DNJ: MT emails made case for cusa
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 01:01 PM by SpaceRaider.)
05-20-2012 04:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
RE: DNJ: MT emails made case for cusa
Good read, great effort. Sorry it didn't work out.
05-20-2012 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Very interesting behind-the scenes actions by MTSU leaders in this situation of trying hard to make a case to C-USA executives. Very seldom do we read (well, are told by a writer what he read) and see this much information from its origin.

I wonder if any other university other than MTSU (FAU maybe?) made any overtures as well. It would be interesting to read from FIU's position as well.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 09:02 AM by FIUFanatic.)
05-20-2012 09:00 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
EDIT: Decided not to hijack this thread. Also, here is a link that works. The DNJ has a habit of deleting their articles, unless I'm always clicking on invalid links, right...

http://www.lohud.com/article/D4/20120520...nav%7Chead
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 09:44 AM by TroyFootball05.)
05-20-2012 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-20-2012 09:00 AM)FIUFanatic Wrote:  I wonder if any other university other than MTSU (FAU maybe?) made any overtures as well. It would be interesting to read from FIU's position as well.

Probably all.
05-20-2012 09:44 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
If MTSU had Troy's success in football over the past 7 years, then I think they would have received an invite. MTSU has a good market so it is a little puzzling why they fell so far down the list. My guess is that there are concerns whether MTSU could become a very good football program given that they have not been extremely successful in the SB, and Tennessee does not produce a lot of football talent which makes recruiting difficult. Although FIU has not been good until recently, they are located in a recruiting hot bed which gives them high marks in the "potential" category. Same for ODU. It seems MTSU is a case where performance on the field and "potential" to elevate the football program may be factoring in. Just a thought. I may be completely wrong.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 09:51 AM by GSU Eagles.)
05-20-2012 09:50 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(05-20-2012 09:50 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  My guess is that there are concerns whether MTSU could become a very good football program given that they have not been extremely successful in the SB.

I may be completely wrong.

Not completely, but I guess by those standards, only Troy and UNT have been extremely successful in the sunbelt. MTSU, is second in the sunbelt over the last 5 years with the most conference wins. It's Troy, then MTSU.
05-20-2012 09:56 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(05-20-2012 09:56 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(05-20-2012 09:50 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  My guess is that there are concerns whether MTSU could become a very good football program given that they have not been extremely successful in the SB.

Not completely, but I guess by those standards, only Troy and UNT have been extremely successful in the sunbelt. MTSU, is second in the sunbelt over the last 5 years with the most conference wins. It's Troy, then MTSU.

They have done relatively well, so maybe I am wrong. Something seems to be holding them back though. I know UT Vols have struggled the last 10 years and a big part of that is the difficulty of recruiting out of state which is mandatory for programs in Tennessee to be successful. When Fulmer was winning, it was with players from GA, NC, AL and all over the nation. Once Richt came on board at UGA, UT's recruiting started to suffer. With Saban on board it has become tougher. When Fulmer was at his peak, UT could pull in top players all over the country and would consistenly finish in the top 5 in recruiting every year.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 10:11 AM by GSU Eagles.)
05-20-2012 10:07 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(05-20-2012 10:07 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

They have done relatively well, so maybe I am wrong. Something seems to be holding them back though. I know UT Vols have struggled the last 10 years and a big part of that is the difficulty of recruiting out of state which is mandatory for programs in Tennessee to be successful. When Fulmer was winning, it was with players from GA, NC, AL and all over the nation. Once Richt came on board at UGA, UT's recruiting started to suffer. With Saban on board it has become tougher. When Fulmer was at his peak, UT could pull in top players all over the country and would consistenly finish in the top 5 in recruiting every year.

There were many years where MTSU was on the brink of something special. 2009 sas a special year for them, but even then, they were one step short of the conference title. I'm not sure any one thing is holding them back, it just hasn't all come together yet. One or two pieces missing every year, but different ones each time.

In recent years MTSU hasn't lacked in speed, but have lacked in size, and that size in the trenches especially has always been whats kept them from beating Troy, and probably other sunbelt teams as well.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2012 10:24 AM by TroyFootball05.)
05-20-2012 10:24 AM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
I'd love to know the conversations in the CUSA board room with the decision re: MT vs some of the others.

ODU - Nice market, brings a new state to CUSA, great basketball, attendance, close to ECU. Nice budget. I could see it.
FIU/NT - market driven. Not bad programs either. I could buy that.
UTSA - lost some Texas schools, they have to replace one. I could buy that one too.

UNCC - They don't have a football program, will take them a while to get off the ground. Dubious athletic support for football. facilities? They already have a foothold in North Carolina. I would have thought MT the better choice from an expansion of the market, an overall athletic program, etc.

LaTech - completely baffling.
05-20-2012 11:08 AM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

(05-20-2012 10:24 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(05-20-2012 10:07 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

There were many years where MTSU was on the brink of something special. 2009 sas a special year for them, but even then, they were one step short of the conference title. I'm not sure any one thing is holding them back, it just hasn't all come together yet. One or two pieces missing every year, but different ones each time.

In recent years MTSU hasn't lacked in speed, but have lacked in size, and that size in the trenches especially has always been whats kept them from beating Troy, and probably other sunbelt teams as well.

Since the SBC football formed, I would think only Troy and NT had a more successful football program overall (and while NT had a nice run, they've been in the dumps for the past few years and MT has been relatively consistent).

Yeah, we had a rough year last year. But who in this conference hasn't had one of those?

And considering the number of Bubba Cups we've won, I don't think anyone else in the SBC has a more successful all around athletic program.

If that doesn't meet your definition of successful, I don't know what does.
05-20-2012 11:12 AM
Advertisement

BlueRaiderFan. Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Conf USA is going to wait until there is no reason for MT, or any other team, to leave the Sun Belt.
05-20-2012 11:47 AM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(05-20-2012 08:58 AM)MG61 Wrote:  Good read, great effort. Sorry it didn't work out.

The timeline of some of these emails and actions is interesting considering what was going on with cusa expansion speculation at the time.
05-20-2012 01:05 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(05-20-2012 11:08 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  I'd love to know the conversations in the CUSA board room with the decision re: MT vs some of the others.

ODU - Nice market, brings a new state to CUSA, great basketball, attendance, close to ECU. Nice budget. I could see it.
UTSA - lost some Texas schools, they have to replace one. I could buy that one too.

UNCC - They don't have a football program, will take them a while to get off the ground. Dubious athletic support for football. facilities? They already have a foothold in North Carolina. I would have thought MT the better choice from an expansion of the market, an overall athletic program, etc.

MTSU probably should have gotten in over UNCC, but old relationships made that happen. All the others make plenty of sense for what CUSA is.
05-20-2012 02:29 PM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

(05-20-2012 02:29 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  MTSU probably should have gotten in over UNCC, but old relationships made that happen. All the others make plenty of sense for what CUSA is.

With you being a CUSA fan, i'd love to hear your rationale re: LaTech vs MT.

Market: MT by a longshot. MT actually brings a new state to the table

Budget: MT by about 10 million

Recent football success: About the same, but MT has a higher win % over the past 6 years.

Attendance: Virtually the same
I could keep going.....
05-20-2012 07:53 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Im sorry MTSU fans had to remain in a conference as terrible as the Sun Belt.

End Sarcasm.
05-20-2012 07:57 PM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(05-20-2012 07:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Im sorry MTSU fans had to remain in a conference as terrible as the Sun Belt.

End Sarcasm.

I would like to see the teams stay...some of the fans could make a new home in CUSA though.
05-20-2012 07:59 PM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
(05-20-2012 11:08 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  I'd love to know the conversations in the CUSA board room with the decision re: MT vs some of the others.

MTSU 03-lmfao
05-20-2012 08:21 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-20-2012 11:08 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  UNCC - They don't have a football program, will take them a while to get off the ground. Dubious athletic support for football. facilities? They already have a foothold in North Carolina. I would have thought MT the better choice from an expansion of the market, an overall athletic program, etc.

Charlotte got in because of the history it had with CUSA. And the relationships with the Admin at different schools.

You can look at different threads on the CUSA and SB boards to see my thoughts on LA Tech.
05-20-2012 10:45 PM
CrushMI Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
05-20-2012 11:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.