Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More SEC expansion coming (ACC-related) -- LINK
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
More SEC expansion coming (ACC-related) -- LINK
From the Nashville Tennessean - More SEC expansion coming

Quote:A 14-member SEC extends to 11 states. A 16-member SEC figures to reach into 13 states.

If you’re throwing darts, aim one at Raleigh, N.C. There, North Carolina State has struggled with the perception it is operating in the considerable shadow of North Carolina and Duke — which it is.

And here we go... honestly, as long as both NC State and UNC end up [u]in[/i] a major conference, I could care less which one.

Quote:And then there’s Virginia Tech, which long has seemed a better fit for the SEC. Adding the Hokies would give the SEC greater cachet in the Norfolk and Tidewater areas of Virginia while also edging into the Washington, D.C., market.
05-18-2012 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
RE: More SEC expansion coming (ACC-related) -- LINK
The new SEC/Big 12 deal just further hurts the ACC perception wise and in terms of power position. It would no shock me at all if VT/NC State go to the SEC eventually. Just like it wouldn't surprise me if FSU/Clemson/Miami and another Eastern ACC school (hopefully GT) go to the Big 12. The Big 10 would love to have UNC/Maryland/UVA etc.

We could be going to 4 16 team conferences very soon and the ACC/Big East leftovers can then merge into the 5th best conference (which wont really matter at all)
05-18-2012 01:12 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(05-18-2012 01:12 PM)Ragu Wrote:  The new SEC/Big 12 deal just further hurts the ACC perception wise and in terms of power position. It would no shock me at all if VT/NC State go to the SEC eventually. Just like it wouldn't surprise me if FSU/Clemson/Miami and another Eastern ACC school (hopefully GT) go to the Big 12. The Big 10 would love to have UNC/Maryland/UVA etc.

We could be going to 4 16 team conferences very soon and the ACC/Big East leftovers can then merge into the 5th best conference (which wont really matter at all)

Well, it would really serve Swofford and Company right for starting this whole thing out back in 2003 by raiding the BE and then coming back for seconds.
05-18-2012 01:18 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

Both of you are way off base and so parochial. Why expand into football challenged North Carolina and take VATech perturbing the VA legislature enough to stop funding the Blacksburg based university when you can get the sleeping giant Rutgers, a.k.a. USC east, and then take it national by grabbing Notre Dame or Oregon, which has been playing good football the last few years. ... (Sarcasm off) ...

The story is just that, a story. No cite to any current statements. The writer is just trying to dirve conversation and hits at his site. The SEC could issue an invite to any school not in the Pac 12 or B1G and the school would have to seriously consider the offer. That said, the SEC will do what it wants, when it wants, to who it wants.
05-18-2012 01:29 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
So if we're indeed going 4-16, where are the Pac 12's expansion choices coming from... Pitt um, er makes some sense if it was located 3000 miles to the west. lol
05-18-2012 02:11 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-18-2012 02:11 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  So if we're indeed going 4-16, where are the Pac 12's expansion choices coming from... Pitt um, er makes some sense if it was located 3000 miles to the west. lol

Perhaps the Pac-?? wishes to lock up NYC with Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and a player to be named later. Not sure if they can handle having USC West and East in the same confernce, though...

Quick analysis, the four superconferences idea only works if all four have 16 teams, otherwise they lack the votes to overrule the remianing teams. Even then, this is a slim majority, with several teams planning/consider making the jump to FBS.
05-18-2012 02:25 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(05-18-2012 02:25 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  
(05-18-2012 02:11 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  So if we're indeed going 4-16, where are the Pac 12's expansion choices coming from... Pitt um, er makes some sense if it was located 3000 miles to the west. lol

Perhaps the Pac-?? wishes to lock up NYC with Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and a player to be named later. Not sure if they can handle having USC West and East in the same confernce, though...

Quick analysis, the four superconferences idea only works if all four have 16 teams, otherwise they lack the votes to overrule the remianing teams. Even then, this is a slim majority, with several teams planning/consider making the jump to FBS.

Exactly why this so called 4 Conference breakaway won't happen. People seem to jump to conclusions over sh*t way too fast anymore. Lets let the thing unfold before we get a little paranoid here.
05-18-2012 02:28 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

IF ND had to join a conference, I would want them to join the Pac-16 just to piss of the Big 10 and Big 12. :)
05-18-2012 02:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
If the PAC 12 expands, watch out Big 12.
05-18-2012 02:33 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

(05-18-2012 02:33 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  If the PAC 12 expands, watch out Big 12.

Texas and Oklahoma are pretty powerful. If they can bring in FSU and others, they wouldn't need to watch out. Heck without expansion, Texas and OU don't really have to watch out for anybody. They do what they want. They were the ones turning down the Pac 12.
05-18-2012 02:36 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-18-2012 02:32 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

IF ND had to join a conference, I would want them to join the Pac-16 just to piss of the Big 10 and Big 12. :)

04-cheers That would be worth, if for no other reason than that!

Plus, you'd already have two of your conference games set.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2012 02:38 PM by HtownOrange.)
05-18-2012 02:37 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

Can we just get this over with? Either expand, or don't. All these shenanigans are annoying.
05-18-2012 02:43 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
NC State just signed a new $49M media contract (10 years).
One would think that if they were moving to the SEC they would have waited or held out for more money. But.......but it is NC State.

http://www.gopack.com/genrel/031412aaa.html
05-18-2012 02:55 PM
SUATO92 Offline
Water Engineer

(05-18-2012 02:36 PM)Ragu Wrote:  
(05-18-2012 02:33 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  If the PAC 12 expands, watch out Big 12.

Texas and Oklahoma are pretty powerful. If they can bring in FSU and others, they wouldn't need to watch out. Heck without expansion, Texas and OU don't really have to watch out for anybody. They do what they want. They were the ones turning down the Pac 12.

Ummm...Texas and Oklahoma were never even voted on by the Pac 12. They voted against expansion. Specifically they voted to not take on the headache of the LHN and Oklahoma was not enough to make them expand further. So NO they do not do what they want.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespor...expansion/
05-18-2012 03:01 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(05-18-2012 02:55 PM)XLance Wrote:  NC State just signed a new $49M media contract (10 years).
One would think that if they were moving to the SEC they would have waited or held out for more money. But.......but it is NC State.

http://www.gopack.com/genrel/031412aaa.html

Most contracts have clauses that counter various things like conf membership, etc...so if NC State did jump to the SEC, I'm sure certain clauses might kick in and/or be renegotiated on in regards to their media rights/broadcast/ad rights.
05-18-2012 03:02 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

I heard the SEC is deciding to expand with Notre Dame, Pitt, Cuse and Rutgers to cash in on those lucrative northeastern markets.
05-18-2012 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
AN ANONYMOUS INSIDER WRITES: In a secret meeting, the Presidents of USC (So Cal), Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Florida State have decided to drop out of their respective conferences and form a new 12-team "Super League".

In a statement released by the Super League, the schools feel that it is in their best interests to "keep the money within the family". When asked by the president of West Virginia "but... what about us?", the representative from the University of Texas replied "I guess y'all can just go back to the Big East, iff'n they'll take y'all back".
05-18-2012 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ragu Offline
All American

(05-18-2012 03:01 PM)SUATO92 Wrote:  
(05-18-2012 02:36 PM)Ragu Wrote:  

Ummm...Texas and Oklahoma were never even voted on by the Pac 12. They voted against expansion. Specifically they voted to not take on the headache of the LHN and Oklahoma was not enough to make them expand further. So NO they do not do what they want.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespor...expansion/

Texas can do whatever they want and Oklahoma rides their coattails. You are crazy if you think that Texas couldn't jump to the SEC, Big 10 or Pac 12 this minute. That is one of the biggest if not the biggest brand names in college football and they are an athletics juggernaut. Texas chose to stay in the Big 12. They weren't forced to do so.
05-18-2012 03:25 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-18-2012 03:12 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

I heard the SEC is deciding to expand with Notre Dame, Pitt, Cuse and Rutgers to cash in on those lucrative northeastern markets.

04-cheers I'm good with that. Can we quote you? ... and are we getting the additional $5MM/Team added ... 05-stirthepot
05-18-2012 03:43 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
(05-18-2012 03:43 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  
(05-18-2012 03:12 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

04-cheers I'm good with that. Can we quote you? ... and are we getting the additional $5MM/Team added ... 05-stirthepot

Shhhhhhh. We weren't supposed to tell anyone, remember?
05-18-2012 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.