Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GSU picks up former Kentucky defensive end
Bookmark and Share
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
GSU picks up former Kentucky defensive end
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sport...ate_sports

Quote:Former Kentucky defensive lineman Nermin Delic has signed a letter of intent with Georgia State. He said he will enroll for the summer semester.

Delic, from Tunnel Hill where he was a standout at Northwest Whitfield, said Georgia State was the only school he visited.

The 6-4, 265-pound Delic was attracted by coach Bill Curry, the bond he made with Anthony Midget and the defensive staff, the move to the FBS-level Sun Belt Conference and the fact that two of his former teammates, Donald Russell and Alex Smith, are on the team. He said he spoke to Smith before he made his decision, and that Russell showed him around the campus during his visit.

“I know Georgia State is pretty young football wise,” he said. “I ‘d like to become part of that, building up that program.”

Delic, whose family moved from Bosnia to the U.S. when he was 6 years old, was rated by ESPN as one of the better tight ends in the country, He originally committed to Maryland, but signed with Kentucky because it was reported that he wanted to be closer to home. He earned playing time for the Wildcats in 2010 on the defensive line, which is where he will play for Georgia State. He played in eight games for the Wildcats, with five tackles and a sack.

http://www.panthertalk.com/georgia-state...min-delic/

Quote:Georgia State Football Adds Impact FBS Transfer Nermin Delic

Georgia State football has a nice little pipeline running from Lexington, Kentucky and the Panthers coaching staff landed another huge transfer in a tremendous need as defensive lineman Nermin Delic has been added to the team for the 2012 season.

Delic is a versatile defensive lineman at 6’5, 280lbs who has played defensive end and defensive tackle. He prepped at Northwest Whitfield HS in Dalton and Rivals.com rated him as a three star prospect. ESPN Scouts, Inc. listed him as the nation’s No. 26 tight end by ESPN.com. The four letter network also did a nice piece on him and his family as they sought refuge in the US from their native Bosnia. His HS coach commented:

“What separates Nermin is his toughness,” Falleur said. “He’s very tough, does whatever he needs to do on the field. He runs well and changes directions well for a big kid.”

He claimed offers from East Carolina, FAU, FIU, Maryland and Middle Tennessee State before signing with Kentucky in 2010. Nermin played in eight games as a true Freshman and registered five tackles, one QB sack and a fumble recovery. His Sophomore campaign was cut short by a torn groin and subsequent blood clot in his shoulder. He re-joined the Wildcats in January and was listed third on the depth chart at defensive tackle.

This was a critical need for the Panthers as Georgia State only returned 3 scholarship defensive lineman who were Sophomore, Juniors or Seniors and converted linebacker Qwontez Mallory has made the transition to weakside defensive end. Delic is expected to join the Panthers summer workout program in June and will have two years of eligibility remaining.
05-16-2012 10:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
RE: GSU picks up former Kentucky defensive end
I see has 1 or 2 years under his belt.

Did he get a MRS for his sophmore campaign?

If so he will be a RS Sophmore this season with 3 to play 3 correct?

At least he will have 1 year on the team as a true FBS team.

Looks like a good pickup if he stays healthy.
05-17-2012 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

Yes, 3 to play
05-17-2012 02:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
MT recruited this kid pretty hard.
05-17-2012 02:15 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(05-17-2012 02:15 PM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  MT recruited this kid pretty hard.

He is our third FBS transfer from Kentucky in 3 years so #winning
05-17-2012 02:57 PM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Online
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
Really happy to have this guy aboard. I like what we've gotten from Lexington so far.
05-17-2012 03:23 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
I can give you a little first hand info on all 3 KY transfers. I'm a Liberty graduate, but have a masters from UK so I've followed UK football closely for several years and have had season tickets for the last 8.
Heres the run down.

Donald Russell: He's a pretty good back, but got caught in a numbers crunch at UK. KY signed the AAA player of the year and he is a stud rb, so I think Donald saw the writing on the wall. He also had a real difficult time holding onto the ball. Then a strange situation happened and his mom started giving interviews stating they weren't happy. Eventually I think both sides were to part ways.

Alex Smith: Has the most potential out of the three. Was a 4 star high school player out of Cincinnati that everyone was excited about. People thought he would come in and possibly start right away. He want on campus two Weeks before he was in the coaches doghouse. Missed workouts, created issues in the locker room and had to sit out of some spring drills over grades. I was really hoping he could turn it around, but it just didn't happen. Has a huge upside if he's willing to mature and work hard, which he wasnt at UK.

Delic: Another recruit people were excited about and actually saw a little playing time as a fr. Then he decided he didn't want to play football anymore and went home for a year. I guess he had a change of heart and wanted to come back to KY. He showed up at the beginning of the school year and want on the team a month before a couple of bad drug tests where Joker was forced to remove him from the team. He's got a nasty mean steak on the field.

like most transfers they have some baggage, but all three can be excellent Sunbelt players. I always pull for past UK players. I'm sure with your coach and his past connections to UK you could possibly get even more in the future.
05-18-2012 11:45 AM
Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia State
(05-18-2012 11:45 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  Delic: Another recruit people were excited about and actually saw a little playing time as a fr. Then he decided he didn't want to play football anymore and went home for a year. I guess he had a change of heart and wanted to come back to KY. He showed up at the beginning of the school year and want on the team a month before a couple of bad drug tests where Joker was forced to remove him from the team. He's got a nasty mean steak on the field.

Great info! I think Delic dropped from the program after having some medical issues. He had a bunch of stuff broke and fixed and dropped after that. Then, he decided to come back and did so as a walk-on. If bad drug tests are the reason he's kicked off the team, that sounds alright. You can fix that. I hope it works out.
05-18-2012 11:49 AM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
Your right about the injuries with Delic. He showed back up to KY with about 20 good pounds of weight. I'm told that weight had some help geting there.
05-18-2012 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.