Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt expansion with who???????
Bookmark and Share
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
Sun Belt expansion with who???????
All you guys are nuts. 01-wingedeagle

Every program you are suggesting right now represents a huge step backwards for the conference.

As of today, the ONLY school available that brings any value whatsoever to the conference is New Mexico State; and all of you act like they are lepers.

I am not suggesting that we add the Aggies, just that it would be insanity to add any of the programs you suggest before adding NMSU.
05-15-2012 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Sun Belt expansion with who???????
I don't agree. With all of the FCS move-ups that CUSA is undertaking right now, this would be the time to bring in someone like an App St. NMSU stretches the footprint too far west and doesn't add anything (and won't ever add anything) in football.
05-15-2012 04:34 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-15-2012 04:34 PM)YouCanUseaMint Wrote:  I don't agree. With all of the FCS move-ups that CUSA is undertaking right now, this would be the time to bring in someone like an App St. NMSU stretches the footprint too far west and doesn't add anything (and won't ever add anything) in football.

except that nmsu is a flagship state university with pretty good standing and a big time basketball program....app state not so much..
05-15-2012 05:10 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-15-2012 05:10 PM)runamuck Wrote:  
(05-15-2012 04:34 PM)YouCanUseaMint Wrote:  I don't agree. With all of the FCS move-ups that CUSA is undertaking right now, this would be the time to bring in someone like an App St. NMSU stretches the footprint too far west and doesn't add anything (and won't ever add anything) in football.

except that nmsu is a flagship state university with pretty good standing and a big time basketball program....app state not so much..

So add Idaho also since they are also a flagship state university. To join the Sunbelt nmsu needs to move there campus east about 500 miles.04-cheers
05-15-2012 05:14 PM
YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

App State can play football, NMSU not so much... and it's cool they are a flagship state university, but so is Idaho.

I'm not in favor of expanding the Sun Belt footprint any further...

[Image: 5e8pww.jpg]
05-15-2012 05:16 PM
YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

(05-15-2012 05:14 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

So add Idaho also since they are also a flagship state university. To join the Sunbelt nmsu needs to move there campus east about 500 miles.04-cheers
04-cheers
05-15-2012 05:17 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
NMSU is on the conscience of the Presidents of their fellow former conference members...not me. I feel sorry for them. But they were not a fit before and won't be a fit now.

Why are we expected to "save" NMSU and Idaho when the MWC is the geographic fit for them and has slots open for them and has long-standing relationships between schools with them?

Are we supposed to give up slots in order to help the MWC keep slots open to try to lure Boise and SDSU?

No thanks. If Idaho and NMSU can't find a home it is entirely on their "friends" amongst the MWC Presidents.
05-15-2012 05:52 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I keep looking at the candidates and honestly... I can be happy with a 10/12 arrangement and I can be happy with a number of candidates.

Idaho I want no part of in any way/shape/form.

NMSU guaranteed to bring football down and honestly I'd as soon tolerate the travel issues for other sports with them all-sport as deal with them football only where they bring a warm body and little else. Second tier (currently CSS/CST and Time-Warner in Texas) could expand into AZ, CO, UT where they can't be shown currently except via ESPN3.

App hoops needs fixing but nothing about their program makes me think they can't transition well and be successful in a few years in football, especially if they continue to sell tickets. My problem with App is travel and I'd be much more comfortable if someone like UNC-Greensboro were joining with them and we went to a travel partner situation.

Liberty seems to be squared away. I think success in football would take longer but we could move our second tier broadcasts into DC and Maryland since they touch Virginia which would become a Sun Belt state. They also become attractive as a travel pair with App but not nearly as handy as UNCG would be.

Georgia Southern similar to the App situation. Got to figure they can transition well. One thing that has changed with UNT/FIU departing is that everyone in the league except UNT had someone within state or very close by as semi-natural rival. That situation isn't easily fixable in Texas unless we take UTA and isn't fixable any time soon in Florida, but GaSouth could give that to Georgia State.

James Madison. If paired with Liberty, they make more sense.

Like I said. I'm comfortable with a 10/12. I'd be OK with App. If we venture into Virginia we have to really rethink some stuff. Short-term nobody is helping us in football but if everyone takes a long view maybe heading up the east coast isn't a bad idea IF we go big enough to keep some natural groupings. I sort of like the idea of a 14/15 alignment where basketball plays three divisions of 5. You play your division twice for 8 games and the other teams once for another 10 and you go divisional in sports like baseball and volleyball where you don't see each other until the league tournament.
05-15-2012 06:10 PM
LaserRaider Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MTSU
No thanks to New Mexico St. Already tried that.

Give me App. State or Georgia Southern instead...
05-15-2012 07:05 PM
RidgeRunner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GSU
JMU and Liberty are way outside our footprint. It would not be a good match.
05-15-2012 07:13 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
App State and JMU and maybe Ga Southern are the only ones that interest me at all.

. . . . and a big NO thanks to Liberty, Idaho, N FL and NMSU from me.
05-15-2012 08:09 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(05-15-2012 04:27 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  All you guys are nuts. 01-wingedeagle

Every program you are suggesting right now represents a huge step backwards for the conference.

As of today, the ONLY school available that brings any value whatsoever to the conference is New Mexico State; and all of you act like they are lepers.

I am not suggesting that we add the Aggies, just that it would be insanity to add any of the programs you suggest before adding NMSU.

There are no perfect expansion targets for the Sun Belt. Appy State wold not be a bad addition, but I haven't seen anything to make me think they are looking at the Sun Belt. I don't see another FCS program worth inviting right now. I say build with what you have now. If the Belt loses another program (MTSU), then maybe NMSU needs to get a harder look. Much like the addition of Texas State, they would not be convenient for travel, but they would create stability, because no other conference would raid the Belt for them.
05-15-2012 09:31 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
I think adding NMSU is a purely stopgap measure, in that they would be out farther than anyone, and they'd surely be looking to move ASAP.

Not that it would be a bad thing, necessarily. It would allow the FCS transitional teams a year or two to get their feet wet in FBS, and would lend a bit more credibility (in terms of perception) as they are an established FBS university.

Still, I think what would be best for the Sun Belt would be App State, mainly because they fit better, and I believe would be stronger in competition (football) sooner than any of the other FBS "noobs".

What I don't know (but have little doubt that the App State folks will educate me) is how they are from a budget standpoint.
05-15-2012 09:45 PM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
(05-15-2012 09:45 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  What I don't know (but have little doubt that the App State folks will educate me) is how they are from a budget standpoint.

App budget was $17.8 million in 2011.
05-15-2012 10:02 PM
HERD-it-wuz-DJ Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
What about Lamar?

They started up football again.
They have Pat Knight leading their basketball program.

At one time they were rumored to be talking to the WAC about moving up.
05-15-2012 10:11 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Someone go ahead and say North Florida so we dont have to hear Florida Jag again...
05-15-2012 10:17 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-15-2012 10:11 PM)HERD-it-wuz-DJ Wrote:  What about Lamar?

They started up football again.
They have Pat Knight leading their basketball program.

At one time they were rumored to be talking to the WAC about moving up.

Lamar messed around and lost their entire football program. They have a lot to prove at the FCS level before they ever try to make a move to FBS.

They are not a start-up or a move-up....they are proven to have failed to the point of death at one point.

They are trying to go too fast.
05-15-2012 10:22 PM
Ragu Online
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
App St/Georgia Southern make the most sense. The only good thing for me with NM St would be if Troy stayed in our division and we got to play them every year.
05-15-2012 10:24 PM
YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

(05-15-2012 09:31 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(05-15-2012 04:27 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  All you guys are nuts. 01-wingedeagle

There are no perfect expansion targets for the Sun Belt. Appy State wold not be a bad addition, but I haven't seen anything to make me think they are looking at the Sun Belt. I don't see another FCS program worth inviting right now. I say build with what you have now. If the Belt loses another program (MTSU), then maybe NMSU needs to get a harder look. Much like the addition of Texas State, they would not be convenient for travel, but they would create stability, because no other conference would raid the Belt for them.
We have two major airports within a half hour. We aren't located in Boone, NC....
05-15-2012 11:01 PM
Jackson Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GSU
As a Georgia State fan and Alum I would be happy with New Mexico State and App. State. I'm a big GSU basketball fan and see NM State as a good add. I'm happy to be a part of this conference. One strong basketball and football add.
05-16-2012 12:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.