Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would the Sun Belt take Southern Miss if they wanted in?
Bookmark and Share
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Would the Sun Belt take Southern Miss if they wanted in?
Clearly the answer is yes, which is why the Sun Belt should pursue Georgia Southern.

Georgia Southern has Southern Miss potential in the FBS. Both are similar rural schools, but GA Southern has a few advantages. We are in a much larger state, have a larger enrollment and access to much more talent.

The state of Georgia had 165 FBS signees last year and only 35 signed with UGA and GA Tech.

How does this help the Sun Belt and its members? Locking up the state of Georgia with Ga State and Ga Southern will give the Sun Belt much more coverage in GA than CUSA. This will help the rest of the Sun Belt members tremendously by opening many more recruiting windows as prospects become more familiar with the teams in the conference. With 165 FBS signees, there is more than enough to go around and SB schools will fare better than CUSA schools in recruiting. Also, Georgia Southern is a proven winner that will help the conference potentially pass the CUSA and others as the gap between CUSA and SB has tightened tremendously with the realigment. Now that the large market teams are gone, the criteria shifts to tradition and performance. Now is the time for the Sun Belt to bring on proven winners Ga Southern and App State to help win the battles on the football field. Out of over 250 Division I FCS and FBS schools, no other University has a better track record of winning on the football field over the last 30 years than Ga Southern. 6 national championships, 8 title game appearances in 14 years in a playoff format with 3 different coaching staffs. Alabama, LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami nor Ohio State have never had runs like that in their history.

With that said, I know we will take our lumps during the transition as the SB has become a strong conference over the past 5 years. After a few years, I believe Ga Southern and App State would more than carry their weight and make the conference proud. Best of all, we will be here for the long haul and not be bolting for the next best conference. It just makes sense.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 03:48 PM by GSU Eagles.)
05-04-2012 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
RE: Would the Sun Belt take Southern Miss if they wanted in?
Seriously? Again?

Mods - may as well move this to smack-talk because if it stays here, I will blow it up with smack.
05-04-2012 03:23 PM
trojanblood Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(05-04-2012 03:21 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Clearly the answer is yes, which is why the Sun Belt should pursue Georgia Southern.

Georgia Southern will be Southern Miss on steroids in the FBS. Both are similar rural schools, but GA Southern has a few advantages. We are in a much larger state, have a larger enrollment and access to much more talent.

The state of Georgia had 165 FBS signees last year and only 35 signed with UGA and GA Tech. Georgia Southern will get loads of talent as a FBS team and will become very successful on the football field given our track record over the past 30 years.

How does this help the Sun Belt and its members? Locking up the state of Georgia with Ga State and Ga Southern will give the Sun Belt much more coverage in GA than CUSA. This will help the rest of the Sun Belt members tremendously by opening many more recruiting windows as prospects become more familiar with the teams in the conference. With 165 FBS signees, there is more than enough to go around and SB schools will fare better than CUSA schools in recruiting. Also, Georgia Southern is a proven winner that will help the conference potentially pass the CUSA and others as the gap between CUSA and SB has tightened tremendously with the realigment. Now that the large market teams are gone, the criteria shifts to tradition and performance. Now is the time for the Sun Belt to bring on proven winners Ga Southern and App State to begin winning the battles on the football field. Out of over 250 Division I FCS and FBS schools, no other University has a better track record of winning on the football field over the last 30 years than Ga Southern. 6 national championships, 8 title game appearances in 14 years in a playoff format with 3 different coaching staffs. Alabama, LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami nor Ohio State have never had runs like that in their history. Benson even said himself in his interview that winning trumps market size if a team can have the type of success that brings national attention (top 25 ranking, beating SEC type teams).

With that said, I know we will take our lumps during the transition as the SB has become a much improved conference over the past 5 years. After a few years, I believe Ga Southern and App State would more than carry their weight and make the conference proud. Best of all, we will be here for the long haul and not be bolting for the next best conference. It is a perfect fit for the SB. It just makes sense.

I agree bring'em in Benton!!!
05-04-2012 03:26 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(05-04-2012 03:23 PM)Panthersville Wrote:  Seriously? Again?

Mods - may as well move this to smack-talk because if it stays here, I will blow it up with smack.

Georgia Southern fans. Please do not engage Ga State fans with any smack talk. There are two other Ga Southern threads in the smack talk section where you can do that. Thank you.
05-04-2012 03:28 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Okay Southern fans, we get it...you want in. And we want you in. But you're preaching to the choir here, and trying to compare yourself to Southern Miss is only going to irritate State fans even more.
05-04-2012 03:28 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Actually this guy just showed a tremendous amount of ignorance suggesting GSU could hold USM's jock now or at any other time.
05-04-2012 03:33 PM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(05-04-2012 03:28 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Okay Southern fans, we get it...you want in. And we want you in. But you're preaching to the choir here, and trying to compare yourself to Southern Miss is only going to irritate State fans even more.

We are definitely not Southern Miss in any manner now.....just saying the potential is there years down the road.
05-04-2012 03:34 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(05-04-2012 03:33 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Actually this guy just showed a tremendous amount of ignorance suggesting GSU could hold USM's jock now or at any other time.

We are nowhere near them now. I am just saying years down the road the potential is there as we are similar schools.
05-04-2012 03:35 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-04-2012 03:35 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 03:33 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Actually this guy just showed a tremendous amount of ignorance suggesting GSU could hold USM's jock now or at any other time.

We are nowhere near them now. I am just saying years down the road the potential is there as we are similar schools.

How you figure?
05-04-2012 03:39 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-04-2012 03:21 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Clearly the answer is yes, which is why the Sun Belt should pursue Georgia Southern.

Georgia Southern has Southern Miss potential in the FBS. Both are similar rural schools, but GA Southern has a few advantages. We are in a much larger state, have a larger enrollment and access to much more talent.

The state of Georgia had 165 FBS signees last year and only 35 signed with UGA and GA Tech.

How does this help the Sun Belt and its members? Locking up the state of Georgia with Ga State and Ga Southern will give the Sun Belt much more coverage in GA than CUSA. This will help the rest of the Sun Belt members tremendously by opening many more recruiting windows as prospects become more familiar with the teams in the conference. With 165 FBS signees, there is more than enough to go around and SB schools will fare better than CUSA schools in recruiting. Also, Georgia Southern is a proven winner that will help the conference potentially pass the CUSA and others as the gap between CUSA and SB has tightened tremendously with the realigment. Now that the large market teams are gone, the criteria shifts to tradition and performance. Now is the time for the Sun Belt to bring on proven winners Ga Southern and App State to help win the battles on the football field. Out of over 250 Division I FCS and FBS schools, no other University has a better track record of winning on the football field over the last 30 years than Ga Southern. 6 national championships, 8 title game appearances in 14 years in a playoff format with 3 different coaching staffs. Alabama, LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami nor Ohio State have never had runs like that in their history.

With that said, I know we will take our lumps during the transition as the SB has become a strong conference over the past 5 years. After a few years, I believe Ga Southern and App State would more than carry their weight and make the conference proud. Best of all, we will be here for the long haul and not be bolting for the next best conference. It just makes sense.

Market-wise, GaSouth is not like USM. Hattiesburg is a city of 52,000 in a metro area of 148,000.
05-04-2012 03:54 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-04-2012 03:39 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  

How you figure?

Well lets look at it this a way. USM has a history of playing OleMiss & MissSt, they have even played both in the same year and won against each if my memory serves me correctly. USM is good enought that they could beat either one of there instate big brothers.

GaSo has a history of playing Ga and also has GaTech on there future scheadule. Even though GaSo has never beat either one of them they are more likely to keep scheaduling GaSo if southern was to move up to the SunBelt since there is already a history of playing in the past.

All it would take is one victory over either Ga or GaTech by GaSo to increase the SunBelt Value within the state of Georgia.

Troy & South Alabama do not have this chance because I do not see either Auburn or Alabama every scheaduling a football game against them.

Tell me what other member of the SunBelt has a chance to play and beat big brother inside there state.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 04:05 PM by ValleyBoy.)
05-04-2012 04:04 PM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-04-2012 04:04 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 03:39 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  

How you figure?

Well lets look at it this a way. USM has a history of playing OleMiss & MissSt, they have even played both in the same year and won against each if my memory serves me correctly. USM is good enought that they could beat either one of there instate big brothers.

GaSo has a history of playing Ga and also has GaTech on there future scheadule. Even though GaSo has never beat either one of them they are more likely to keep scheaduling GaSo if southern was to move up to the SunBelt since there is already a history of playing in the past.

All it would take is one victory over either Ga or GaTech by GaSo to increase the SunBelt Value within the state of Georgia.

Troy & South Alabama do not have this chance because I do not see either Auburn or Alabama every scheaduling a football game against them.

Tell me what other member of the SunBelt has a chance to play and beat big brother inside there state.

Both Louisiana schools.
05-04-2012 04:06 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
That looks like you have similar football schedules, not anything about the schools being similar. You have more in common with Troy than you do USM. USA and USM have some similarities.

As an aside, the likely hood of Tech or UGA scheduling you if you are FBS is slim.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 04:07 PM by Tiguar.)
05-04-2012 04:06 PM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Didn't Auburn used to schedule Troy?

And I don't mean in the days of yore, I mean recently.
05-04-2012 04:15 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-04-2012 04:15 PM)Dedsquirrl Wrote:  Didn't Auburn used to schedule Troy?

No
05-04-2012 04:28 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Why haven't we made a rule on this board, similar to the CUSA board, that bans pimping your own school? Every single thread is littered with this stuff.
05-04-2012 04:35 PM
Advertisement

Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(05-04-2012 04:28 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

No

Must have been UAB.

I vaguely remember Auburn giving another in state school a game.
05-04-2012 05:12 PM
stAtecamera13 Offline
Beltbbs stAte Football INsider

I Root For: Arkansas State
Does a bear...well you get the idea...
05-04-2012 05:15 PM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Plain and simple, if Ga. So. wants in they need to have their President and AD to submit a request for membership to Benson. From there, the SBC Presidents will vote and more than likely add you. Until then, there is nothing anyone else can do. The ball is in your court.
05-04-2012 05:23 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-04-2012 05:12 PM)Dedsquirrl Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 04:28 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

No

Must have been UAB.

I vaguely remember Auburn giving another in state school a game.

IN Basketball usually right around the time of the Aub/Ala football game.
05-04-2012 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.