Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One good reason to say NO to NMSU
Bookmark and Share
redfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: all
One good reason to say NO to NMSU
Asked over a year ago whether NMSU should consider FCS status, Boston said: “It’s not in our best interest as an institution, to our brand, when we’re defined in a lot of ways by the company we keep. … The Sun Belt (was) not good company.”

http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/2012/05...dlong.html
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 10:06 AM by redfan.)
05-03-2012 12:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUSledgeHammer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Western KY
RE: One good reason to say NO to NMSU
(05-03-2012 12:23 AM)redfan Wrote:  Asked over a year ago whether NMSU should consider FCS status, Boston said: “It’s not in our best interest as an institution, to our brand, when we’re defined in a lot of ways by the company we keep. … The Sun Belt (was) not good company.”

Who is Boston?
05-03-2012 06:59 AM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
(05-03-2012 06:59 AM)WKUSledgeHammer Wrote:  Who is Boston?

NMSU president, I believe.
05-03-2012 07:58 AM
redfan Offline
2nd String

McKinley Boston, NMSU athletic director
05-03-2012 08:09 AM
Buzz Lightyear Lite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TROY
That would be a big oooops if true.......It is kind of like saying I do not associated with THOSE people in reference to ethnic, race, or religion.....but when you are hitting the crapper and need help ......All of a sudden you will.

Really do not like idea of taking them anyway, but this was not a good choice of words if true.
05-03-2012 09:23 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
NO TO NMSU!!!!!

Nothing against them. Just too far! We are a Southern Conference!!!
05-03-2012 09:26 AM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(05-03-2012 09:23 AM)Buzz Lightyear Lite Wrote:  That would be a big oooops if true.......It is kind of like saying I do not associated with THOSE people in reference to ethnic, race, or religion.....but when you are hitting the crapper and need help ......All of a sudden you will.

Really do not like idea of taking them anyway, but this was not a good choice of words if true.
Why is a big oops?

No team is in the SBC because they want to be here, they are here because this is their only option, right now. If they had another option, with the possible exception of the MAC because of geography, they would be gone.

No SBC team, or their fans want to have their team associated with SBC teams, they want to be associated with teams in better conferences, which is every other conference playing FBS football, and probably a couple that are not.

That this is true is the biggest challenge facing Benson as he trys to grow the SBC going forward.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 09:38 AM by Seminole Indian.)
05-03-2012 09:35 AM
redfan Offline
2nd String

(05-03-2012 09:35 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 09:23 AM)Buzz Lightyear Lite Wrote:  That would be a big oooops if true.......It is kind of like saying I do not associated with THOSE people in reference to ethnic, race, or religion.....but when you are hitting the crapper and need help ......All of a sudden you will.

Why is a big oops?

No team is in the SBC because they want to be here, they are here because this is their only option, right now. If they had another option, with the possible exception of the MAC because of geography, they would be gone.

No SBC team, or their fans want to have their team associated with SBC teams, they want to be associated with teams in better conferences, which is every other conference playing FBS football, and probably a couple that are not.

That this is true is the biggest challenge facing Benson as he trys to grow the SBC going forward.
Disagree with what you are saying and it does not change what he said.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 11:32 AM by redfan.)
05-03-2012 10:19 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,

Why is a big oops?

Please go away.

I like the Sun Belt. Not everyone gains from leaving this conference.
05-03-2012 11:24 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Why is a big oops?

This is the biggest load of crap I've read in a long, long, time. Sure, everyone would like to be in the SEC...but that aint going to happen. FIU is proud and happy to be in the Sun Belt. We have and would never say anything against the Belt (other than having been shipped off to Detroit after sharing the football championship, instead of getting to go to New Orleans). That's why even now we are thankful for our time here and our growth with the likes of MTSU, WKU, Troy, ASU and even UL-L.

It's also the reason why, if we had a say, I would not want to have NMSU nor Idaho in this conference. I have been quite frankly shocked, over the years, at some of the comments coming out of those communities in regards to this conference. Geography aside, why in the world would you want to bring in programs that at best are two-faced when it comes to this conference and at worst are out right hostile.

I hope the Sun Belt presidents realize the improtance of having like minded institutions within the fold. If a program isn't excited to be here, then there's no reason to force them.
05-03-2012 11:41 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(05-03-2012 11:41 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
Why is a big oops?

This is the biggest load of crap I've read in a long, long, time. Sure, everyone would like to be in the SEC...but that aint going to happen. FIU is proud and happy to be in the Sun Belt. We have and would never say anything against the Belt (other than having been shipped off to Detroit after sharing the football championship, instead of getting to go to New Orleans). That's why even now we are thankful for our time here and our growth with the likes of MTSU, WKU, Troy, ASU and even UL-L.

It's also the reason why, if we had a say, I would not want to have NMSU nor Idaho in this conference. I have been quite frankly shocked, over the years, at some of the comments coming out of those communities in regards to this conference. Geography aside, why in the world would you want to bring in programs that at best are two-faced when it comes to this conference and at worst are out right hostile.

I hope the Sun Belt presidents realize the improtance of having like minded institutions within the fold. If a program isn't excited to be here, then there's no reason to force them.
That part is true; no one has to force any SBC program. If given the opportunity everyone would leave in a heartbeat, problem is no one wants them right now, although that may not be true for WKU, or MTSU if ODU turns down CUSA. If the opportunity presents itself they will hit the door fast as they can, smiling and clapping all the way.

Think that the CEOs and Benson have actually been shocked at how passionate fans are about getting their teams out of, or staying out of the SBC.
05-03-2012 12:22 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-03-2012 11:24 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Why is a big oops?

Please go away.

This wave of conference realignment is ridiculous. The tv execs are ridiculous, the administrations are ridiculous, the fans are ridiculous.

Memphis in the Big East? UNC-C in CUSA? Kicking Temple out...then begging their return? Boise football only halfway across the country? SDSU? lol SDSU?
05-03-2012 12:49 PM
redfan Offline
2nd String

(05-03-2012 12:22 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
Why is a big oops?

That part is true; no one has to force any SBC program. If given the opportunity everyone would leave in a heartbeat, problem is no one wants them right now, although that may not be true for WKU, or MTSU if ODU turns down CUSA. If the opportunity presents itself they will hit the door fast as they can, smiling and clapping all the way.

Think that the CEOs and Benson have actually been shocked at how passionate fans are about getting their teams out of, or staying out of the SBC.

Passion in conference change is not unique to the SBC. The logic of your argument falls apart when considering the Market driven change that is going on now.
05-03-2012 12:53 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(05-03-2012 11:24 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Why is a big oops?

Please go away.

04-cheers
05-03-2012 12:54 PM
SM_Bobcat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Texas State
(05-03-2012 12:22 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
Why is a big oops?

Sorry, that simply is not true for all fans, I can say that for a fact, because I am one of them. I said before CUSA, ect added their teams. That I would be just as happy in the Sun Belt as in CUSA. If you look at the quality of teams in each conference, there is not much different.
05-03-2012 12:58 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(05-03-2012 12:22 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  That part is true; no one has to force any SBC program. If given the opportunity everyone would leave in a heartbeat, problem is no one wants them right now, although that may not be true for WKU, or MTSU if ODU turns down CUSA. If the opportunity presents itself they will hit the door fast as they can, smiling and clapping all the way.

That's your problem right there. You are putting the emphasis where it should not go. You say everyone would leave the Sun Belt in a heart beat. Well, invite these Sun Belt programs to go to the WAC; no, how 'bout the Southern; what about some other FCS? no.

Ok. so you can continue to look at your glass as half empty, smarter people will look at the glass as half full.
05-03-2012 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2012 12:54 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  04-cheers

We need a black ball session.
05-03-2012 12:59 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(05-03-2012 12:59 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  

What you guys need is for your teams to find a home out of the SBC so your schools fans and supporters won't continue to harass my friends, who work at one of the schools, and their friends and colleagues, who work at other SBC schools.

It is not their fault that you are stuck in the SBC with these teams, and it is hard to build something when everyone wants out!
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 01:11 PM by Seminole Indian.)
05-03-2012 01:10 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

Who is your friend?
05-03-2012 03:00 PM
redfan Offline
2nd String

(05-03-2012 01:10 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 12:59 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  

What you guys need is for your teams to find a home out of the SBC so your schools fans and supporters won't continue to harass my friends, who work at one of the schools, and their friends and colleagues, who work at other SBC schools.

It is not their fault that you are stuck in the SBC with these teams, and it is hard to build something when everyone wants out!

PARANOIA Not much else to say, out of here
05-03-2012 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.