Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

May 22 . . SBC Presidents/Chancellors Spring Meeting
Bookmark and Share
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
From listening to the SBC Presser Q&A session, it appears the Presidents/Chancellors will review and act upon the schools that have contacted the SBC about membership during the May 22 meeting.

The Commish said 4-6 FCS schools have contacted the SBC about membership. The Commish continues to stress that the SBC footprint is Texas to Florida.

The Commish makes it clear that he acts based upon what the SBC Presidents/Chancellors and their ADs feel is in the best interest of the current membership.

I remain confident that both Georgia Southern and App State will be invited to join the SBC soon.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/newMediaPla...R_CONTENT=
05-02-2012 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

RE: May 22 . . SBC Presidents/Chancellors Spring Meeting
The Commish said that any FCS school that wants to join the SBC would benefit the SBC most if they announce their intention to go FBS prior to June 1 . . sounds like the pressure is on for any FCS school that receives an invitation to accept that invitation and announce their intent to move up to FBS by June 1.
05-02-2012 05:07 PM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
(05-02-2012 05:07 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  The Commish said that any FCS school that wants to join the SBC would benefit the SBC most if they announce their intention to go FBS prior to June 1 . . sounds like the pressure is on for any FCS school that receives an invitation to accept that invitation and announce their intent to move up to FBS by June 1.

Considering the paperwork must be postmarked by May 25, I would hope they arent waiting to meet until the 22nd before they offer.
05-02-2012 05:09 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(05-02-2012 05:09 PM)Glassonion Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 05:07 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  The Commish said that any FCS school that wants to join the SBC would benefit the SBC most if they announce their intention to go FBS prior to June 1 . . sounds like the pressure is on for any FCS school that receives an invitation to accept that invitation and announce their intent to move up to FBS by June 1.

Considering the paperwork must be postmarked by May 25, I would hope they arent waiting to meet until the 22nd before they offer.

Most likely they aren't. I have a feeling the meeting on the 22nd will be to confirm everything rather than to invite in the first place.
05-02-2012 05:15 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-02-2012 05:15 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  

Most likely they aren't. I have a feeling the meeting on the 22nd will be to confirm everything rather than to invite in the first place.

Yeah . . the May 22 meeting may be used to put the official stamp on decisions made outside that meeting.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 05:17 PM by ManzanoWolf.)
05-02-2012 05:17 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2012 05:17 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  

Yeah . . the May 22 meeting may be used to put the official stamp on decisions made outside that meeting.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder who the "4-6" teams are? Two I know for a fact... Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. And another is probably Texas-Arlington... Don't know about the others.
05-02-2012 05:25 PM
Advertisement

Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
(05-02-2012 05:25 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 05:17 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder who the "4-6" teams are? Two I know for a fact... Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. And another is probably Texas-Arlington... Don't know about the others.

He mentioned GaSo, App, Liberty, ODU, and Jax St by name.
05-02-2012 05:26 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

LIBERTY? REALLY?
05-02-2012 05:31 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh. ODU's marked out probably, since they're "going to the CUSA" albeit unofficially. Liberty? Um, no thanks. Jax State, maybe... But GaSo & App are probably shoo-ins.
05-02-2012 05:32 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-02-2012 05:26 PM)Glassonion Wrote:  He mentioned GaSo, App, Liberty, ODU, and Jax St by name.

Yeah!, Yeah!, NO, GTHO, If you do it today, and NEXT
05-02-2012 05:34 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Pretty much all he did was name the teams that everyone knows has contacted us. I highly doubt he was suggesting Liberty as a member.
05-02-2012 05:36 PM
Advertisement

ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-02-2012 05:36 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Pretty much all he did was name the teams that everyone knows has contacted us. I highly doubt he was suggesting Liberty as a member.

You are correct . . In no way did he suggest Liberty as a member.
05-02-2012 05:44 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
Things still going as expected other than we might not get a chance at another national championship run
05-02-2012 05:45 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
After interviewing him this afternoon and asking questions differently from the ones at the presser, I'm pretty convinced we're finished with expansion for now.

We'll add Arlington to get to 10/12.

And stop.
05-02-2012 06:34 PM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
He keeps stressing Texas to Florida.

Are FAMU's financials still a wreck?
I know they flirted with the Sun Belt years ago.

I figure if they were a player, we would have heard at least a murmur by now.
But I will be damned if I can think of any other FL school that is even close to being a candidate.
05-02-2012 07:31 PM
Fear The Frog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
6th FCS Team could of been Lamar...
05-02-2012 07:39 PM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(05-02-2012 06:34 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  After interviewing him this afternoon and asking questions differently from the ones at the presser, I'm pretty convinced we're finished with expansion for now.

And stop.

You really think he is going to be completely honest with you? This is a cat and mouse game that is played through the media.

He knows that the CUSA could come in and take Ga State and MTSU any time they want, so he has to be prepared for that to happen. Losing them and going back to 8 creates instability. With Georgia Southern and App State you likely get more stability and solid teams. After seeing who the CUSA has added, I would think Ga State is wondering did we commit too quickly to the SB and could have been in the CUSA. If the SunBelt can lock down the state of Georgia with Ga State and Ga Southern then that would be a huge coup on the CUSA as GA is the #3 talent producing state in the country. Benson needs to hurry and get to 12 then lock things down with an exit fee.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 08:02 PM by GSU Eagles.)
05-02-2012 07:56 PM
Skincade Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Would Missouri State be an option? That looks to be in the SunBelts footprint.
05-02-2012 08:03 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-02-2012 08:03 PM)Skincade Wrote:  Would Missouri State be an option? That looks to be in the SunBelts footprint.

Missouri State has expressed absolutely no interest in moving up to FBS . . I see them as a BB school primarily.
05-02-2012 08:08 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-02-2012 07:56 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 06:34 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  After interviewing him this afternoon and asking questions differently from the ones at the presser, I'm pretty convinced we're finished with expansion for now.

And stop.

You really think he is going to be completely honest with you? This is a cat and mouse game that is played through the media.

He knows that the CUSA could come in and take Ga State and MTSU any time they want, so he has to be prepared for that to happen. Losing them and going back to 8 creates instability. With Georgia Southern and App State you likely get more stability and solid teams. After seeing who the CUSA has added, I would think Ga State is wondering did we commit too quickly to the SB and could have been in the CUSA. If the SunBelt can lock down the state of Georgia with Ga State and Ga Southern then that would be a huge coup on the CUSA as GA is the #3 talent producing state in the country. Benson needs to hurry and get to 12 then lock things down with an exit fee.

I think, no disrespect intended, you're grasping at straws.

He absolutely said, when hired, the plan was to go to 12 for football.
He absolutely said, today, he's backing off of that.

I think he was honest with me.
05-02-2012 08:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.