Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Don't know about you, but
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Don't know about you, but
I'm feeling better.

C-USA had to compromise to keep ECU and Marshall on the reservation (for now) and that means adding a team without football or even a coach and one that has played three seasons. Overall the door is open for the Sun Belt to continue narrowing the gap.

I think we are done with TexSt and UTA announcement (I've heard Wednesday announcement).

Sounds like the other hopefuls won't hear from the Sun Belt before July 1, if ever.
05-01-2012 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: Don't know about you, but
(05-01-2012 07:51 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I'm feeling better.

C-USA had to compromise to keep ECU and Marshall on the reservation (for now) and that means adding a team without football or even a coach and one that has played three seasons. Overall the door is open for the Sun Belt to continue narrowing the gap.

I think we are done with TexSt and UTA announcement (I've heard Wednesday announcement).

Sounds like the other hopefuls won't hear from the Sun Belt before July 1, if ever.
I am sure youre right. With CUSA done there would be no reason to wait to announce anyone else.
05-01-2012 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM

I don't know about you, but I strongly feel we need to look at adding App. State and Ga. Southern.
05-01-2012 07:53 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-01-2012 07:53 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

I don't know about you, but I strongly feel we need to look at adding App. State and Ga. Southern.

I think we will. But with CUSA done, we are under no pressure to add immediately.
05-01-2012 07:54 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State

Hmmm. Would have like the App State deal at least.
05-01-2012 07:55 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Im ok with that too, but if we had GA South and APPY it would help stave off another raid.
05-01-2012 07:55 PM
Advertisement

TitanTopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
"JUST SAY NO!!"
05-01-2012 07:57 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(05-01-2012 07:55 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  

Im ok with that too, but if we had GA South and APPY it would help stave off another raid.
I dont think it would, SBC would just be stuck with App and GaSo after the raid. We have sommething to work with right now. Its a nice tight geographic conference where all schools are reachable by flights. I like where we are going
05-01-2012 07:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adub4ever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: North Texas
Sunbelt will remain strong.... I really feel for Ark St., MTSU, FAU, WKU fans.... you all have great football programs so being passed up by UTSA, ODU, and UNCC is a kick in the balls..... but CUSA is firmly a Texas based league now leaving the door open if ECU, Marshall, or whoever bolt.... will always respect the sunbelt even if i talk trash.
05-01-2012 08:00 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
One question I have is whether the MWC will really let NMSU and Idaho die off. There are not a lot of FBS schools in the west are there and to let two die off......

If we wait awhile maybe they will figure out Boise isn't coming back and go ahead and do the dirty deed and save them and take a couple more slots off the table.
05-01-2012 08:02 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-01-2012 08:00 PM)adub4ever Wrote:  Sunbelt will remain strong.... I really feel for Ark St., MTSU, FAU, WKU fans.... you all have great football programs so being passed up by UTSA, ODU, and UNCC is a kick in the balls..... but CUSA is firmly a Texas based league now leaving the door open if ECU, Marshall, or whoever bolt.... will always respect the sunbelt even if i talk trash.

HAHAHAHAHAHA at UTSA, ODU, and UNCC passing us. We would beat any single one of those teams on the field any day by at least 30 points. They didnt pass us by joining an equal league.
05-01-2012 08:11 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(05-01-2012 08:02 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  One question I have is whether the MWC will really let NMSU and Idaho die off. There are not a lot of FBS schools in the west are there and to let two die off......

If we wait awhile maybe they will figure out Boise isn't coming back and go ahead and do the dirty deed and save them and take a couple more slots off the table.

(05-01-2012 08:11 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 08:00 PM)adub4ever Wrote:  Sunbelt will remain strong.... I really feel for Ark St., MTSU, FAU, WKU fans.... you all have great football programs so being passed up by UTSA, ODU, and UNCC is a kick in the balls..... but CUSA is firmly a Texas based league now leaving the door open if ECU, Marshall, or whoever bolt.... will always respect the sunbelt even if i talk trash.

HAHAHAHAHAHA at UTSA, ODU, and UNCC passing us. We would beat any single one of those teams on the field any day by at least 30 points. They didnt pass us by joining an equal league.

And that's the way we need to think of this. With SMU, Houston, Memphis and UCF gone and all the FCS adds its equal. Time to pass them up
05-01-2012 08:13 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU

Don't doubt you would, but when did that matter in any of this? We beat Memphis by 30 just about every year, didn't matter. What you do on the field is almost meaningless, unless you have a Boise/Utah/TCU type resume.
05-01-2012 08:22 PM
adub4ever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: North Texas
passed up in joining CUSA not current football strength.....so NT are fools for leaving the sunbelt for CUSA? anyone of those schools would bolt the belt in a second to join CUSA.... this is how it works.... in a few yrs MTSU and Ark St. will bolt SBC to join CUSA..... at any rate i was trying to say the Sunbelt will always have my respect, and i hope yall continue to grow and pass up the MAC just not CUSA.... cuz CUSA is beast mode now.
05-01-2012 08:22 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-01-2012 08:22 PM)adub4ever Wrote:  passed up in joining CUSA not current football strength.....so NT are fools for leaving the sunbelt for CUSA? anyone of those schools would bolt the belt in a second to join CUSA.... this is how it works.... in a few yrs MTSU and Ark St. will bolt SBC to join CUSA..... at any rate i was trying to say the Sunbelt will always have my respect, and i hope yall continue to grow and pass up the MAC just not CUSA.... cuz CUSA is beast mode now.

No. UNT is not "fools" for leaving. It makes sense for you guys. Better travel, and you get to play teams your fans have a lot more in common with. Though I hate you guys are getting stuck with UTSA fans. Good luck with that.

But for ASU, this move makes zero sense. Im looking at the value of our travel situation, and our current rivalries. We have zero rivals left in CUSA...zero history with anyone outside of occasional nonconference games. So why move? I mean if its the choice of bottom of the league teams, Id rather face GSU and Texas State then Old Dominion and UNC Charlotte. I want nothing to do with KFCU, and La Tech provides nothing more then someone to hate, and we can hate them in any league.

Neither of us are going to win a national title just because of the league we are in. We are going to have to improve on the field to gain national recognition. Id rather do that with our friends and rivals here in the SBC.

Good luck to you guys.
05-01-2012 08:30 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-01-2012 08:22 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Don't doubt you would, but when did that matter in any of this? We beat Memphis by 30 just about every year, didn't matter. What you do on the field is almost meaningless, unless you have a Boise/Utah/TCU type resume.

But that is what ASU has set its sight on developing. We are wanting to turn into a program that consistantly can win 10-12 games a year. We're going to gain national recognition for doing that regardless of where we play.
05-01-2012 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(05-01-2012 07:58 PM)panama Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 07:55 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  

I dont think it would, SBC would just be stuck with App and GaSo after the raid. We have sommething to work with right now. Its a nice tight geographic conference where all schools are reachable by flights. I like where we are going

I generally agree here. The SBC at 10 in football, 12 in basketball is a nice number to work with.

Part of the concern I think for the SBC going too big is trying to sign enough bowl games. CUSA is going to be able to pluck a fairly nice group of games for itself and is banking heavily on taking the Independence Bowl.

There are 2 openings now in the CAA for Georgia State and Appalachian State to upgrade over the Southern Conference. Both have been talking to the MAC but I highly doubt it because of location.
05-01-2012 08:37 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Looks like Georgia Southern will be the next (after TX State and UTA) to get an invite to the SBC. That means App State will follow shortly.

From MT's beat writer...
Adam Sparks ‏ @AdamSparks
Hearing strong rumors that Ga. Southern will be next to come into Sun Belt. Gotta an educated theory on this based, on talking to some today

And when we hear "strong rumors" from Sparks that pretty much always means "it's going to happen sometime soon".
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 08:45 PM by Ole Blue.)
05-01-2012 08:45 PM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
As an MT fan, I really want AppSt and GaSouthern.

I've no interest in TexasSt. I've not much interest in GaState.

AppState is a team with which we'd have an instant rivalry, and another driveable away game. They have great fan support, and if watching them invade Chattanooga is any indication, would bring more fans to Murfreesboro than anyone else in the Sunbelt ever has.

With GaSouthern, we've got another school like app, and MT and GASouthern have a shared history.

Both are well positioned to be competitive quickly. This would get us to 12, and getting to 12 and having a title game and 2 tight geographic conferences is key to a strong conference.

Frankly, the Sunbelt without those 2 (or if we take the great leap west with another Texas school, NMSU, or that school that shall not be named way the heck out there that plays in an airplane hangar) is not nearly as appealing to me.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 08:49 PM by RaiderDoug.)
05-01-2012 08:47 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(05-01-2012 08:47 PM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  As an MT fan, I really want AppSt and GaSouthern.

I've no interest in TexasSt. I've not much interest in GaState.

AppState is a team with which we'd have an instant rivalry, and another driveable away game. They have great fan support, and if watching them invade Chattanooga is any indication, would bring more fans to Murfreesboro than anyone else in the Sunbelt ever has.

With GaSouthern, we've got another school like app, and MT and GASouthern have a shared history.

Both are well positioned to be competitive quickly. This would get us to 12, and getting to 12 and having a title game and 2 tight geographic conferences is key to a strong conference.

I agree. I'm much more interested in App State and Ga Southern (both historically excellent programs) than Ga State and TX State. You're correct in that they'd be instant rivals- our history goes way back. In fact, we were the first time to deal a loss to Georgia Southern at Paulson Stadium (in 1985, for those of you who remember that far back). But I'm not complaining about either Ga State or TX State. Lookin' not too bad after all.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 08:50 PM by Ole Blue.)
05-01-2012 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.