Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UALR and UTA question....
Bookmark and Share
Ohiofan23 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ohio and MAC
UALR and UTA question....
I know that when UTA joined the WAC at first there was some sort of stipulation I believe that had UTA start up football down the road. Is there still a plan for football at UTA in the SBC? Also is there any opportunity for UALR to start a team? Would that be more of a hindrance or would that help the plan of finding expansion candidates with in the Sun Belt footprint?
05-01-2012 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
RE: UALR and UTA question....
UTA is most likely going to have a team. UALR it's not a priority. By the time they could even get ready there would be plenty of FCS teams we could move up.
05-01-2012 11:42 AM
Ohiofan23 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ohio and MAC
(05-01-2012 11:42 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  UTA is most likely going to have a team. UALR it's not a priority. By the time they could even get ready there would be plenty of FCS teams we could move up.

Ok fair enough, I was just curious if they would have a chance to get grandfathered in like USA. Or if that would be preferable with an expansion from within.
05-01-2012 11:48 AM
troy4ever21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy & SBC
So is UTA coming to the Belt a definite thing? 01-wingedeagle 03-banghead
05-01-2012 11:52 AM
stAtecamera13 Offline
Beltbbs stAte Football INsider

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-01-2012 11:48 AM)Ohiofan23 Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 11:42 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  UTA is most likely going to have a team. UALR it's not a priority. By the time they could even get ready there would be plenty of FCS teams we could move up.

Ok fair enough, I was just curious if they would have a chance to get grandfathered in like USA. Or if that would be preferable with an expansion from within.
UALR will never have a football team. They are part of the university of Arkansas system. UA did everything in it's power to stop stAte from having a D1 team. There is no way they let their own system have more than 1
05-01-2012 11:56 AM
troy4ever21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy & SBC
I'm surprised Alabama let UA's B team have a team... lol
05-01-2012 11:58 AM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
UALR starting a football team would be a big money loser. I just don't see it happening.
05-01-2012 05:36 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Arkansas has enough issues dealing with their own problems, then they have this overly eager Sun Belt Program that keeps sticking up billboards around the state. The last thing they would want is to turn a school in their own system into a monster as well.

I think UTA will start eventually, but the SBC will not force it. I think the league is fine with or without UTA football, so the administration can work to start a football program the right way.
05-01-2012 05:40 PM
EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USA JAGUARS
I can't see how Arkansas would be affected by ULAR having a football team. It would be like Troy, USA, UAB and a host of other football schools in Alabama in any way affecting Alabama or Auburn. The history of these SEC Universities far outweighs any potential conflicts.

Arkansas should get off of its high horse.
05-01-2012 05:49 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-01-2012 05:49 PM)EAGLEJAG65 Wrote:  I can't see how Arkansas would be affected by ULAR having a football team. It would be like Troy, USA, UAB and a host of other football schools in Alabama in any way affecting Alabama or Auburn. The history of these SEC Universities far outweighs any potential conflicts.

Arkansas tries to sell itself as the "professional team" in the state without a pro sports franchise. They market themselves as the only thing in the state. Their high horse is the fact that they dont want to acknowledge there might be another game in town worth watching.

They made it their mission to prevent ASU from ever reaching D1, and they darn near managed to pull it off.
05-01-2012 05:59 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
The University of Arkansas tries to be a monopoly on all things football in the state. A few years ago, they sent out a recruitment letter to all high school seniors proclaiming if they go to the University of Arkansas, they will get to cheer for the only D1 football team in the state. I heard someone say when UALR joined the UA system in 1969, they signed a 99-year agreement that they would not start a football team. I have no idea if there's any truth to that, but it would not surprise me one bit.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 06:07 PM by GoBigRed26.)
05-01-2012 06:05 PM
Advertisement

AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
It is my understanding that conference members must participate in a certain number of sports and can add more than the minimum if they so choose. UALR is a full member and would not need permission to join the Belt for football. Whether thats practical or possible or even wanted by UALR is another thing entirely.
05-01-2012 06:45 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-01-2012 06:45 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  It is my understanding that conference members must participate in a certain number of sports and can add more than the minimum if they so choose. UALR is a full member and would not need permission to join the Belt for football. Whether thats practical or possible or even wanted by UALR is another thing entirely.

Arkansas turned down an NIT invite the year UALR got one. They said their players were too tired for postseason......

UALR won't be getting a football team.
05-01-2012 06:47 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Man....we all love us some razorback...don't we.....03-nutkick05-mafia
05-01-2012 09:54 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-01-2012 05:49 PM)EAGLEJAG65 Wrote:  I can't see how Arkansas would be affected by ULAR having a football team. It would be like Troy, USA, UAB and a host of other football schools in Alabama in any way affecting Alabama or Auburn. The history of these SEC Universities far outweighs any potential conflicts.

Same reason Alabama board keeps undermining UAB. Makes no sense but that's how it is.
05-01-2012 09:56 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-01-2012 05:36 PM)insideualr Wrote:  UALR starting a football team would be a big money loser. I just don't see it happening.

The price of football is rising every year.

War Memorial is not a suitable facility. 53,000 seats isn't conducive to a 5 or 6 game home schedule if you aren't selling out because there is no pressure to buy season tickets or donate for seat priority.

UALR would need several million in upgrades for offices, training, land for a practice field and eventually an indoor practice facility.

Based on the last few UALR games I've attended, the donor lot has a large number of Razorback donor plates, venturing into football risks causing some of those to jump ship (though maybe a few go all in for UALR).

Add the local climate toward sports, I think its a tough sell.
05-01-2012 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(05-01-2012 05:40 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Arkansas has enough issues dealing with their own problems, then they have this overly eager Sun Belt Program that keeps sticking up billboards around the state. The last thing they would want is to turn a school in their own system into a monster as well.

I think UTA will start eventually, but the SBC will not force it. I think the league is fine with or without UTA football, so the administration can work to start a football program the right way.

Ya I see that as a definite possibility - good example is South Alabama. That's the way you start a football program.
05-01-2012 10:02 PM
EAGLEJAG65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USA JAGUARS
ULAR should consider themselves in a similar situation that USA found itself.

If they start now and make the appropriate plans, they could be playing football in three to five years. Stadium availability; War Memorial of 53,000 in Little Rock is the same as Ladd Peebles of 40,606 in Mobile. Do the on campus athletic facilities adds now and START appealing to their UArk fans as South did to the UAla and UAub fans. These fans will support a local team in spite of being told otherwise. If they love the sport of football, then having a local football team will allow them to feed their football appetites. This arrangement will provide the appropriate support avenue for ULAR, and will give Little Rock fans a representative football team available to fill those unattended needs.

My wish would be for UALR to complete and fulfill its desire to develop their campus pride.
05-02-2012 02:37 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
(05-02-2012 02:37 AM)EAGLEJAG65 Wrote:  ULAR should consider themselves in a similar situation that USA found itself.

If they start now and make the appropriate plans, they could be playing football in three to five years. Stadium availability; War Memorial of 53,000 in Little Rock is the same as Ladd Peebles of 40,606 in Mobile. Do the on campus athletic facilities adds now and START appealing to their UArk fans as South did to the UAla and UAub fans. These fans will support a local team in spite of being told otherwise. If they love the sport of football, then having a local football team will allow them to feed their football appetites. This arrangement will provide the appropriate support avenue for ULAR, and will give Little Rock fans a representative football team available to fill those unattended needs.

My wish would be for UALR to complete and fulfill its desire to develop their campus pride.

The fan base does not want it. This is as good an idea as crossing the ocean in a bass boat.
05-02-2012 06:16 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

Guys it's not happening. It's more likely for Denver to start o football program than it is for UALR. UArk will not allow it.
05-02-2012 07:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.