Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thank god for Benson
Bookmark and Share
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Thank god for Benson
If we still had WW. we would be sitting on our thumbs right now getting raided and losing 2 teams probably without any additions besides USA.

The SBC would probably be screwed if we still had WW.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 01:33 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
04-29-2012 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
RE: Thank god for Benson
(04-29-2012 01:32 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  If we still had WW. we would be sitting on our thumbs right now getting raided and losing 2 teams probably without any additions besides USA.

And just how do you know this ?
04-29-2012 01:44 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Indeed. I hope we stop all this no FCS teams nonsense now conference USA is even doing it regardless of how they try to justify the addition of UTKFC.

If we lose two teams (UNT, FIU) I say go ahead and add Georgia Southern as #10, App State as #11, and #Texas State for #12. But I hope we set out a plan for 14 members by 2017. Invite UTA and West Florida as Olympic sports members then have them go through a transition similar to what we did with FIU and South.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 01:48 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
04-29-2012 01:47 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(04-29-2012 01:32 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  If we still had WW. we would be sitting on our thumbs right now getting raided and losing 2 teams probably without any additions besides USA.

Is this just your opinion or are we going to see some reasoning as to why you think this way?
04-29-2012 01:54 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-29-2012 01:44 PM)MG61 Wrote:  

And just how do you know this ?

Waters hated conference realignment/expansion and said so.

The Sun Belt at one point early on had the opportunity to grab Texas State/UTSA which would have left LaTech looking for a home before CUSA was ready.

Things might look very different now if the Sun Belt had been aggressive rather than passive.
04-29-2012 01:56 PM
AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
Before anyone goes adding teams without a football team, shouldn't we ask UALR, who has been a very loyal member for over 20 years? WKU and USA got chances to upgrade that might not've been otherwise been provided because both have a track record of sticking around and being part of the team. Isn't there a stadium in Little Rock? In my opinion, its up to UALR, but I'd like to see them get the chance first. And then, I'd prefer programs with existing teams.
04-29-2012 02:04 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-29-2012 01:54 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  

Is this just your opinion or are we going to see some reasoning as to why you think this way?

Its my opinion....WW never really did much in regards for expansion or really wanting the Conference to grow and grab attention
04-29-2012 02:08 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-29-2012 02:04 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  Before anyone goes adding teams without a football team, shouldn't we ask UALR, who has been a very loyal member for over 20 years? WKU and USA got chances to upgrade that might not've been otherwise been provided because both have a track record of sticking around and being part of the team. Isn't there a stadium in Little Rock? In my opinion, its up to UALR, but I'd like to see them get the chance first. And then, I'd prefer programs with existing teams.

There is no way the University of Arkansas would ever allow another FBS team in Arkansas. ASU became FBS despite their best efforts to keep us from it. Since they control UALR, that wont happen.
04-29-2012 02:09 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2012 02:04 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  Before anyone goes adding teams without a football team, shouldn't we ask UALR, who has been a very loyal member for over 20 years? WKU and USA got chances to upgrade that might not've been otherwise been provided because both have a track record of sticking around and being part of the team. Isn't there a stadium in Little Rock? In my opinion, its up to UALR, but I'd like to see them get the chance first. And then, I'd prefer programs with existing teams.

UALR will never have football because they are part of the University of Arkansas system.

The University of Arkansas will not even PLAY any in-state teams. They have a policy against EVER playing an in-state team.

A few years ago UA and UALR both made the NIT. UA turned down the NIT bid because of "player exhaustion"....or maybe because they most likely would have been paired with UALR in the first round since the NIT paired based on potential ticket sales.

So it is unlikely that they will ever allow the creation of another in-state football program within their own system.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 02:12 PM by ark30inf.)
04-29-2012 02:11 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

UALR would be a great addition if they wanted a football team it's the second biggest school in the state in one of the biggest cities in the state. But unless your city and fans want a team all it does is create a Title IX nightmare and loss of $.

I can assure you the city of Little Rock is about as pro Arkansas as Birmingham is as pro Alabama and I don't even live there. I would rather see UALR put all their resources into basketball than to start football.
04-29-2012 02:14 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2012 02:14 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

UALR would be a great addition if they wanted a football team it's the second biggest school in the state in one of the biggest cities in the state. But unless your city and fans want a team all it does is create a Title IX nightmare and loss of $.

I can assure you the city of Little Rock is about as pro Arkansas as Birmingham is as pro Alabama and I don't even live there. I would rather see UALR put all their resources into basketball than to start football.

Doesn't matter what Little Rock or UALR fans want. UA board would never allow it.
04-29-2012 02:15 PM
Advertisement

AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

(04-29-2012 02:04 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  Before anyone goes adding teams without a football team, shouldn't we ask UALR, who has been a very loyal member for over 20 years? .

My only point is that any discussion about bringing up a team without a current program should start with those in or league and who've stuck by us. I dont know if Arkansas would be amenable or even if UALR wants to do so, my only thought was that if anyone gets a free pass to FBS, I'd start with UALR.
04-29-2012 02:21 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-29-2012 02:21 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  
(04-29-2012 02:04 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  Before anyone goes adding teams without a football team, shouldn't we ask UALR, who has been a very loyal member for over 20 years? .

My only point is that any discussion about bringing up a team without a current program should start with those in or league and who've stuck by us. I dont know if Arkansas would be amenable or even if UALR wants to do so, my only thought was that if anyone gets a free pass to FBS, I'd start with UALR.

The problem is you are not convincing UALR. You are convincing a Board composed of all Razorback donors and ticket holders that football at UALR is a good thing.
04-29-2012 02:29 PM
AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

(04-29-2012 02:29 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-29-2012 02:21 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  

The problem is you are not convincing UALR. You are convincing a Board composed of all Razorback donors and ticket holders that football at UALR is a good thing.

The only non football program I'd really think would be worth considering would be the one in our conference. And if they won't, don't want to, or can't, I see no reason to consider those without a FCS team currently. I certainly wouldn't think about a D2 program under any circumstances because that would be the same or similar to admitting a school with no teams in ANY sport as the difference between D2 and D1 is so great. The difference, in my opinion, between FCS and FBS, while great is much less than that between D2 and D1 and with FCS upgrades the non football programs are already D1 and could be already equal or even above many already in the conference. Are there any shortage of quality FCS programs out there? Its not like the economics of FBS aren't better than FCSand we've got one of the few paths to get to FBS. Just my two cents.
04-29-2012 02:54 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

People, I know D2 doesn't sound pretty on paper but there's D2 schools who could be FCS, FCS teams who should be D2, and FBS schools who should be FCS. Affiliation is just being in the right place at the right time for most schools. Troy was a D2 school once upon a time and we have had the most success of any school in the SBC when you start talking Titles, NFL drafts, and probably bowl games made.
04-29-2012 03:25 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas

The SBC is lucky to have him right now. The schools in the SBC know that, and the posters here simply don't count.
04-29-2012 06:35 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas

Really?

I have yet to see Benson do anything of merit. I'm not impressed.
04-29-2012 08:59 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-29-2012 08:59 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

Really?

I have yet to see Benson do anything of merit. I'm not impressed.

And what did WW ever do?

Since Benson in the short time we have added GA state and will probably add atleast 2 more in no time....WW wouldnt have been this active
04-29-2012 09:39 PM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
(04-29-2012 09:39 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  And what did WW ever do?

Since Benson in the short time we have added GA state and will probably add atleast 2 more in no time....WW wouldnt have been this active

We're adding schools with no fans, no tradition, no facilities, no support, no name recognition, and this is good because?

Apparently the only thing needed to be in Karl Benson's new Sunbelt is a couple of kids playing Madden in a dorm somewhere.
04-29-2012 10:24 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-29-2012 01:47 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Indeed. I hope we stop all this no FCS teams nonsense now conference USA is even doing it regardless of how they try to justify the addition of UTKFC.

If we lose two teams (UNT, FIU) I say go ahead and add Georgia Southern as #10, App State as #11, and #Texas State for #12. But I hope we set out a plan for 14 members by 2017. Invite UTA and West Florida as Olympic sports members then have them go through a transition similar to what we did with FIU and South.

Lets go through this AGAIN. West Florida isn't serious about doing anything. Big ideas don't happen in Pensacola. UWF isn't going to do anything.
04-29-2012 10:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.