Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Benson?
Bookmark and Share
crixus Offline
Banned

I Root For: Truth
Benson?
Why on Earth would your conference hire Karl Benson to be your new Commissioner? The guy single handedly screwed up the WAC and then ran off with his tail between his legs. Bad move Sun Belt, he's trouble. 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 03:16 AM by crixus.)
04-26-2012 03:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
RE: Benson?
Two completely different situations.

The WAC was raided and then did not have any options to replenish. The Sunbelt has plenty of options to replenish.

At any rate a conference commissioner is pretty powerless anyway. He can only do what the presidents permit him to do so the idea that he "single handedly" screwed up the WAC is just wrong. If he triggered the raid from the MWC he did so at the behest of the WAC presidents. In all likelyhood it was going to happen anyway and he gave the WAC a fighting chance by being proactive and inviting some key MWC programs. Didn't work out, but probably wouldn't have worked out anyway.

And in the end Benson is not that far from retirement himself. The man is an experienced conference commissioner, has some connections, and the idea that hiring him could somehow "kill" the Sunbelt also is absurd.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 05:44 AM by Hilltopper2K.)
04-26-2012 05:39 AM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
(04-26-2012 03:10 AM)crixus Wrote:  Why on Earth would your conference hire Karl Benson to be your new Commissioner? The guy single handedly screwed up the WAC and then ran off with his tail between his legs. Bad move Sun Belt, he's trouble. 01-wingedeagle

Did you see we added Georgia State? Yep, never heard of them either.

It took him all of like 2 months to crap all over the conference.

My only question is how he gets all the Sunbelt Prez's to rubber stamp his idiocy. It's either mind control, a gang of vicious thugs willing to do his bidding, or blackmail.
04-26-2012 08:03 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
(04-26-2012 03:10 AM)crixus Wrote:  Why on Earth would your conference hire Karl Benson to be your new Commissioner? The guy single handedly screwed up the WAC and then ran off with his tail between his legs. Bad move Sun Belt, he's trouble. 01-wingedeagle

Don't be hating just because your team might not be able to stay FBS. What commish would stick around in a conference with SJSU, NMSU, IDAHO, and UTAH ST. I'd have left too.
04-26-2012 08:05 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(04-26-2012 08:03 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  

My only question is how he gets all the Sunbelt Prez's to rubber stamp his idiocy. It's either mind control, a gang of vicious thugs willing to do his bidding, or blackmail.

Did you not know that GSU use to be in the Sunbelt? I for one like the idea of them being back and bringing football.
04-26-2012 08:08 AM
Senatobia Offline
2nd String

My sentiments exactly.
04-26-2012 08:15 AM
Advertisement

statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(04-26-2012 08:15 AM)Senatobia Wrote:  

My sentiments exactly.

Please go away. You make ASU fans look bad.
04-26-2012 08:18 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

If the WAC presidents had taken his advice in 2004 and invited North Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas State, and Middle Tennessee you would have a conference today instead of praying that MWC takes you.

Is it his fault the presidents didn't take his advice?
04-26-2012 08:27 AM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2012 08:08 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  

Did you not know that GSU use to be in the Sunbelt? I for one like the idea of them being back and bringing football.

Tulane used to be in the SEC.

Sould they get an invite back?
04-26-2012 08:33 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(04-26-2012 08:33 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  
(04-26-2012 08:08 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  

Tulane used to be in the SEC.

Sould they get an invite back?

You said you had never heard of them. I was just letting you know they were in the Belt before. I also expressed my opinion I'm glad to have them back. By the way. What was MTSU record in football last year? I'm sure GSU can probably equal it there first full year in the Belt.
04-26-2012 08:39 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Wait! This isnt a Robert Guillaume thread?!?!?!?
04-26-2012 08:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(04-26-2012 08:27 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

If the WAC presidents had taken his advice in 2004 and invited North Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas State, and Middle Tennessee you would have a conference today instead of praying that MWC takes you.

Is it his fault the presidents didn't take his advice?
Glad I didnt have to post this. Benson knows his stuff. But he doesnt have executive veto power as a Commissioner. He also advised them against going to 16.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 08:52 AM by panama.)
04-26-2012 08:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2012 08:39 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  You said you had never heard of them. I was just letting you know they were in the Belt before. I also expressed my opinion I'm glad to have them back. By the way. What was MTSU record in football last year? I'm sure GSU can probably equal it there first full year in the Belt.

It has nothing to do with records and everything to do with erasing 10+ years of progress in separating ourselves from the perception that we're a bunch of FCS programs masquerading as big boys.

GSU is a program that was invited for one reason - they might bring some TV sets to a negotiation at some point in the far future. They have no tradition, no success, no fans, no facilities, no name recognition. They are DOA for a decade. Unless you're maneuvering with CBS for a billion dollar pie (and we are not), that's a bad way to build a conference.

Maybe others disagree with me (Benson definately does), but the Sunbelt is not an incubator for programs to cut their teeth.

And State fan, I wouldn't be poking fun at anyone's recent lack of success[/i]. It wasn't but a year ago you were firing a coach for a poor record (and probably will be looking for a new coach in a year or so again). Congrats on the great year last year, and you'll probably have a big year this year, but believe me, success is fleeting and it's not easy to stay on top of the mountain. Ask any Middle, North Texas or Troy fan.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 09:06 AM by RaiderDoug.)
04-26-2012 09:06 AM
panama Offline
Legend

Didnt we already do this thread?
04-26-2012 09:11 AM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2012 09:11 AM)panama Wrote:  Didnt we already do this thread?

Ignoring the problem (GSU and Benson) won't make them go away.

Or will it?
04-26-2012 09:12 AM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
(04-26-2012 08:39 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  What was MTSU record in football last year? I'm sure GSU can probably equal it there first full year in the Belt.

Can probably? I guess anything is possible. Ga St did however just go 3-8 with a sub-FCS schedule. Two of those wins were against the Campbell Camels, and St Francis?
They could turn that around in a year or two. But not with two steps up in competition. Theyre basically an average D2 school at the moment, prolly not a good idea to bet the house.
04-26-2012 09:14 AM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(04-26-2012 09:14 AM)Glassonion Wrote:  
(04-26-2012 08:39 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  What was MTSU record in football last year? I'm sure GSU can probably equal it there first full year in the Belt.

Can probably? I guess anything is possible. Ga St did however just go 3-8 with a sub-FCS schedule. Two of those wins were against the Campbell Camels, and St Francis?
They could turn that around in a year or two. But not with two steps up in competition. Theyre basically an average D2 school at the moment, prolly not a good idea to bet the house.

Troll Say Let Me In! Push Humans Out!
[Image: stock-vector-cartoon-troll-holding-a-clu...916088.jpg]
04-26-2012 09:16 AM
Senatobia Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2012 09:16 AM)panama Wrote:  
(04-26-2012 09:14 AM)Glassonion Wrote:  

It may be 2 years or more before GSU wins a conference game.

Troll Say Let Me In! Push Humans Out!
[Image: stock-vector-cartoon-troll-holding-a-clu...916088.jpg]
04-26-2012 09:19 AM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
I guess when you dont have facts on your side, you find other ways to increase post count?
04-26-2012 09:19 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-26-2012 08:48 AM)panama Wrote:  Wait! This isnt a Robert Guillaume thread?!?!?!?

I know..I was waiting to see him get into trouble with the Governor again.
04-26-2012 09:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.