Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2012 stAte Ambush
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
2012 stAte Ambush
ASU announced its 2012 A-State Ambush today. Every one of the 215 football playing Arkansas High Schools will recieve a visit from an ASU assistant coach within the next 5 days.

All of the assistant coaches left from the 50 yard line of our football stadium in 9 seperate black SUV's plastered with school flags and banners. The goal is to inform every coach in the state of who we are, and to make contacts that could lead to future recruiting gains.

As far as we know this has never been done in the state of Arkansas before. At least one brave assistant will even pull into the high school located right across the street from the university of Arkansas to make contacts. Im interested to see how this goes.
04-23-2012 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
RE: 2012 stAte Ambush
CoachingSearch.com article on the stAte Ambush with AWESOME video:

It's called the "A-State Ambush."

The slogan: "215 schools, 5 days, 1 staff, 1 purpose."

The goal, according to Malzahn, is to indentify players, develop relationships, and give the high school coaches and players a sense of ownership in what they're trying to do with the new staff at Arkansas State.

Sounds pretty darn smart.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/home/647-g...rning.html

Video only at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIMqAQiI...ture=share

Go stAte . . Go SBC !! 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 10:14 AM by ManzanoWolf.)
04-23-2012 09:57 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Very cool idea. I hope you guys can hang on to him.

If he's successful a LOT of programs are gonna gun for him.
04-23-2012 11:37 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(04-23-2012 11:37 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  Very cool idea. I hope you guys can hang on to him.

Supposedly what we've heard is that he wants to hang around for at least 2 or 3 years, unless Arkansas comes after him.

Its a big debate on our message board, a lot of posters dont like the fact that he went after the Arkansas job. We're going to have to deal with schools coming after him every year. Its bad enough that there was talk that a 7-5 or 8-4 type season might not be a bad thing next year because it would keep some big schools away.
04-23-2012 12:40 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

ArkansasSports360 coverage:

Malzahn, Red Wolves Staff Working To Visit All 215 Football High Schools In State This Week

by Chris Bahn
4/23/2012 at 7:58am

Arkansas State football recruiting begins with the state of Arkansas. That was Gus Malzahn’s pledge when he began coaching the Red Wolves in January.

It's typical for coaches to speak of recruiting their home states. But Malzahn and his staff showed Monday they’re doing more than talking about it.

Sure it's gimmicky, but the idea is a good one on two fronts: It should help the staff build relationships in the state and it’s a headline grabber.

Both areas — relationships and visibility — are critical when it comes to recruiting.

http://www.arkansassports360.com/30850/m...-this-week
04-23-2012 01:02 PM
arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Steve Roberts actually made the vow to hit every school in the state and I know they did it a couple times but never with a bunch of fanfare and didn't do it in a week.

In this modern era you not only have to do it, you have to tell people you did it.
04-23-2012 02:00 PM
Advertisement

GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(04-23-2012 09:52 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ASU announced its 2012 A-State Ambush today. Every one of the 215 football playing Arkansas High Schools will recieve a visit from an ASU assistant coach within the next 5 days.

All of the assistant coaches left from the 50 yard line of our football stadium in 9 seperate black SUV's plastered with school flags and banners. The goal is to inform every coach in the state of who we are, and to make contacts that could lead to future recruiting gains.

As far as we know this has never been done in the state of Arkansas before. At least one brave assistant will even pull into the high school located right across the street from the university of Arkansas to make contacts. Im interested to see how this goes.

Get it right. 3 of them were white.
04-23-2012 03:59 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Gus Malzahn riding shotgun for Arkansas State recruiting ambush
Written by Kevin McGuire on 23 April 2012

This is why Arkansas State hired Gus Malzahn. Malzahn is stepping it up in his recruiting efforts at Arkansas State this week as he and the rest of the coaching staff are making visits to each high school that plays football in the state of Arkansas. They're calling it "A-State Ambush."

Assistant coaches from Arkansas State will be driving around the state of Arkansas over the next five days in the vehicles you see above, displayed nicely on the football field. Driving in Arkansas and see an SUV with an Arkansas State window flag and name magnet on the side? That is a sign that the Red Wolves are looking for some homegrown talent in your neck of the woods.

When all is said and done, Arkansas State will have visited a total of 215 high schools, with the motto “215 schools, 5 days, 1 staff, 1 purpose.” So catchy, so simple. So poignant.

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2012-a...mbush.html
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 04:30 PM by ManzanoWolf.)
04-23-2012 04:30 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(04-23-2012 12:40 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-23-2012 11:37 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  Very cool idea. I hope you guys can hang on to him.

Supposedly what we've heard is that he wants to hang around for at least 2 or 3 years, unless Arkansas comes after him.

Its a big debate on our message board, a lot of posters dont like the fact that he went after the Arkansas job. We're going to have to deal with schools coming after him every year. Its bad enough that there was talk that a 7-5 or 8-4 type season might not be a bad thing next year because it would keep some big schools away.
I think you have a vivid imagination, and if you are older than say 10, you need to put some of your make believe friends away before they start telling you to do bad things.
04-23-2012 05:00 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(04-23-2012 05:00 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  

I think you have a vivid imagination, and if you are older than say 10, you need to put some of your make believe friends away before they start telling you to do bad things.

Just like we all imagined you saying you were going to quit posting?
04-23-2012 06:14 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(04-23-2012 06:14 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Coach Malzahn told me to come out of retirement just to keep you between the ditches. Thus far all I have been able to tell him is that you say that nothing he is saying is true.

Of course I’ve only met Malzahn in a room with a lot of people, and have never spoken to him, so I’m talking about my imaginary Coach Malzahn friend. Don't know which one you are talking about.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 06:28 PM by Seminole Indian.)
04-23-2012 06:26 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
He must've gotten this idea from Auburn.

Auburn used this same tactic when Malzahn and Chizik first arrived at Auburn.
04-23-2012 06:59 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-23-2012 06:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  He must've gotten this idea from Auburn.

I think that's correct. Regardless, it put stAte o the main fox sports college football page.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball
04-23-2012 07:13 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(04-23-2012 06:26 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(04-23-2012 06:14 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Coach Malzahn told me to come out of retirement just to keep you between the ditches. Thus far all I have been able to tell him is that you say that nothing he is saying is true.

Of course I’ve only met Malzahn in a room with a lot of people, and have never spoken to him, so I’m talking about my imaginary Coach Malzahn friend. Don't know which one you are talking about.

You dont understand. I didnt give my opinion at all on this matter. I gave the opinion of our board, which as you know has a lot of crazy opinions.

I have no opinion on Malzahn, I think he's a great coach, but I fully expect any coach with Jimmy Sexton as an agent will look at every job out there.
04-23-2012 08:42 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-23-2012 07:13 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  
(04-23-2012 06:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  He must've gotten this idea from Auburn.

I think that's correct. Regardless, it put stAte o the main fox sports college football page.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball

Approaching a million hits already . . 04-jawdrop
04-23-2012 09:20 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

New article up as the main story at Rivals.com

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/con...ID=1358802
04-25-2012 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
Quick question, in NC, out of state student athletes pay out of state tuition. The year before last, they got in state tuition, which really helped the recruiting budget.

Does Arkansas require out of state tuition for out of state athletes? If so, I would imagine hitting the in state harder would pay off double.
04-25-2012 11:17 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(04-25-2012 11:17 AM)Glassonion Wrote:  Quick question, in NC, out of state student athletes pay out of state tuition. The year before last, they got in state tuition, which really helped the recruiting budget.

Does Arkansas require out of state tuition for out of state athletes? If so, I would imagine hitting the in state harder would pay off double.

Actually the athletes don't pay anything since they are on scholarship but I know what you mean. I'm not sure exactly how things work regarding how scholarships are added to the athletic budget, but I would guess that their scholarships are for the level of in-state tuition. I know that counties that border Arkansas and out of state kids that have ASU alum parents get in state tuition. Plus we give out "rugby scholarships" to our out of state and foreign players that just amounts to them paying in state tuition.
04-25-2012 11:29 AM
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
(04-25-2012 11:29 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  Actually the athletes don't pay anything since they are on scholarship but I know what you mean. I'm not sure exactly how things work regarding how scholarships are added to the athletic budget, but I would guess that their scholarships are for the level of in-state tuition. I know that counties that border Arkansas and out of state kids that have ASU alum parents get in state tuition. Plus we give out "rugby scholarships" to our out of state and foreign players that just amounts to them paying in state tuition.

Sounds like this guy has a solid strategy. Lately we've moved to alot of out of state kids, Im not sure exactly if/how that affects the budget. I guess you guys will be able to spread out your recruiting a bit further and become more selective if youre saving on the instate guys.
04-25-2012 11:35 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(04-25-2012 11:17 AM)Glassonion Wrote:  Quick question, in NC, out of state student athletes pay out of state tuition. The year before last, they got in state tuition, which really helped the recruiting budget.

Unless something has changed the answer is yes they do have to pay out of state tuition.

That is a big incentive to keep in state kids in state, and Malzahn did a very good job in doing so in his first class.
04-25-2012 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.