03-16-2012 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
RE: BASEBALL
(03-16-2012 08:48 PM)HILTOPWKU Wrote:  WKU 9 middle 2
02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

MT whips westernky in final 2 games to take the series from the Hilltoppers, beating them 9-1 today behind a 3-homer performance from 1B Ethan Williams.
03-18-2012 08:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(03-18-2012 08:05 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  
(03-16-2012 08:48 PM)HILTOPWKU Wrote:  WKU 9 middle 2
02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

MT whips westernky in final 2 games to take the series from the Hilltoppers, beating them 9-1 today behind a 3-homer performance from 1B Ethan Williams.

Well that kinda sucks 03-melodramatic
03-18-2012 08:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
You silly teams and you're band boxes. Try hitting a homerun at ASU with the wind blowing in at about 15 mph, which it seems to do every week.
03-18-2012 09:15 PM
Advertisement

bigquinton Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WKU
(03-18-2012 09:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You silly teams and you're band boxes. Try hitting a homerun at ASU with the wind blowing in at about 15 mph, which it seems to do every week.

1 of the four home runs that were hit this weekend at middle would of been out at western. i hate playing at middle.
03-19-2012 10:56 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RPI as of Monday

ULM 49
UL 53
ASU 104
FAU 111
MT 129
FIU 133
TROY 142
USA 192
WKU 201
UALR 207
03-19-2012 11:19 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-19-2012 10:56 AM)bigquinton Wrote:  
(03-18-2012 09:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You silly teams and you're band boxes. Try hitting a homerun at ASU with the wind blowing in at about 15 mph, which it seems to do every week.

1 of the four home runs that were hit this weekend at middle would of been out at western. i hate playing at middle.

A few years ago when we were playing MTSU back when Bryce Brentz and co were bashing the ball around the yard, a couple of our fans went and counted the number of balls they hit at ASU that might have been out at Middle.

The total was 7. They hit 1 homerun that weekend. UALR had the nations homerun leader this weekend and they didnt hit a single one. We play in the SBC's version of Petco Park.
03-19-2012 01:17 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(03-19-2012 01:17 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-19-2012 10:56 AM)bigquinton Wrote:  

A few years ago when we were playing MTSU back when Bryce Brentz and co were bashing the ball around the yard, a couple of our fans went and counted the number of balls they hit at ASU that might have been out at Middle.

The total was 7. They hit 1 homerun that weekend. UALR had the nations homerun leader this weekend and they didnt hit a single one. We play in the SBC's version of Petco Park.

Funny thing is, Brentz and Will Skinner and company are still bashing the ball out of the park on their rise to the Big Leagues. Brentz is the top minor league non-pitcher prospect in Red Sox organization.

I saw some folks bitching about Skinner making the All-SBC team, and he continues to bash the ball for the Braves organization. Guess the pundits were wrong.

As far as WKU goes, when you get your arses beat 9-1, hard to complain. Score more than a run and you may have a chance.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2012 01:36 PM by KAjunRaider.)
03-19-2012 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Don't let the facts get in the way. Maybe its just me but I don't see a huge difference here...

Team: Lines - Ally - CF
MT: 330 - 365 - 390
ASU: 330 - 370 - 400
WKU 330 - ---- - 400

Couldn't find Western's distances in the power ally, but since most homeruns are hit straight away to the alleys you're talking about a few feet in difference. Perhaps the Western folks can help but I would guess given those dimensions there's almost no chance Western's is greater than 375 in the alley. The only sizeable difference with these three parks is in straight away center but with so few homeruns hit to straight away CF that would result in a negiligible difference. If anything the biggest difference would be balls in the gap having a better chance to go for a triple at ASU instead of a double, but the number of homeruns wouldn't be signficantly affected in any of the parks with all other factors being equal. What kills me about aluminum bats is a ball struck even remotely well gets out in almost every college baseball park. Most homeruns are hit 390 feet or better in colleges, so you would need CF to be 420 and the power alleys to be about 395 to 400 to have a measurable difference.

Credentials...former scout with the New York Mets.
03-19-2012 03:08 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(03-19-2012 03:08 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Don't let the facts get in the way. Maybe its just me but I don't see a huge difference here...

WKU 330 - ---- - 400

Couldn't find Western's distances in the power ally, but since most homeruns are hit straight away to the alleys you're talking about a few feet in difference. Perhaps the Western folks can help but I would guess given those dimensions there's almost no chance Western's is greater than 375 in the alley. The only sizeable difference with these three parks is in straight away center but with so few homeruns hit to straight away CF that would result in a negiligible difference. If anything the biggest difference would be balls in the gap having a better chance to go for a triple at ASU instead of a double, but the number of homeruns wouldn't be signficantly affected in any of the parks with all other factors being equal. What kills me about aluminum bats is a ball struck even remotely well gets out in almost every college baseball park. Most homeruns are hit 390 feet or better in colleges, so you would need CF to be 420 and the power alleys to be about 395 to 400 to have a measurable difference.

You are not factoring in how the two parks are built. Im not sure about Tennessee, but in Northeast Arkansas the wind comes out of the west/southwest from March to May. Our climate warms up because of the warm air coming out of the Gulf of Mexico and the Texas deserts. Unfortunately, our ballpark is built facing the Southwest. Meaning every year from March onward, the wind is always blowing in. Generally the average wind speed is between 10 and 15 mph, however there are days when it gusts in the 30's.

MTSU's Park, unless it has been turned around since last November when I was up there faces the Northeast. Im guessing You dont get a lot of northeasterly winds in Tennessee this time of year, so Im assuming the wind blows out there more.

Talk to any baseball player about trying to play a game at ASU on a windy day, and see what they say. Balls just die in our outfield if they arent crushed.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2012 04:48 PM by chiefsfan.)
03-19-2012 04:46 PM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(03-19-2012 04:46 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-19-2012 03:08 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Don't let the facts get in the way. Maybe its just me but I don't see a huge difference here...

WKU 330 - ---- - 400

You are not factoring in how the two parks are built. Im not sure about Tennessee, but in Northeast Arkansas the wind comes out of the west/southwest from March to May. Our climate warms up because of the warm air coming out of the Gulf of Mexico and the Texas deserts. Unfortunately, our ballpark is built facing the Southwest. Meaning every year from March onward, the wind is always blowing in. Generally the average wind speed is between 10 and 15 mph, however there are days when it gusts in the 30's.

MTSU's Park, unless it has been turned around since last November when I was up there faces the Northeast. Im guessing You dont get a lot of northeasterly winds in Tennessee this time of year, so Im assuming the wind blows out there more.

Talk to any baseball player about trying to play a game at ASU on a windy day, and see what they say. Balls just die in our outfield if they arent crushed.

Bryce Brentz hit 30 bombs and was Red Sox minor league player of the year last year. What's Murray Watts doing?

BTW, Brentz hit more homers on the road in his career. He hit one over the flagpole at Dudy Noble. He hit an oppo grand slam into the wind at WKU his freshman year.

If you can hit. You can hit. And BTW, WKU, you were playing on the same field. If it was that easy, you should have done it. You got outscored 16-3 the last two games.

As far as ASU, is playing in your park the reason you're a door mat in baseball?
03-19-2012 08:48 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-19-2012 08:48 PM)theboro Wrote:  

WKU 330 - ---- - 400

Bryce Brentz hit 30 bombs and was Red Sox minor league player of the year last year. What's Murray Watts doing?

BTW, Brentz hit more homers on the road in his career. He hit one over the flagpole at Dudy Noble. He hit an oppo grand slam into the wind at WKU his freshman year.

If you can hit. You can hit. And BTW, WKU, you were playing on the same field. If it was that easy, you should have done it. You got outscored 16-3 the last two games.

As far as ASU, is playing in your park the reason you're a door mat in baseball?

Murray was one of the players to watch in the Royals Organization this past year.

And as for the other comment. We were a doormat for years because our last coach was an idiot who had no idea how to build a baseball team. He would 7 or 8 shortstops because he believed that a shortstop could play any position. At one point in his last couple years, 6 of the 8 position players in our lineup were shortstops before they came to ASU, and the resulting defense was terrible. To make it worse all of them were JUCO's.

We recently changed our approach, and stopped signing players based on just power potential. This year we are running a team out there daily that includes 4 or 5 Freshman or Sophomores. We placed a priority on pitching and defense, and sign guys by positions.

This doormat has made the SBC tourney back to back years, and was picked 4th in the SEC by Baseball America this season. We're not to our goal yet, but this program has come a very long way the last 3 years.
03-19-2012 09:10 PM
the Big Camel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

WKU 330 - ---- - 400

Can see why the Mets suck if you are basing how parks play for power based on dimensions only.
03-19-2012 09:51 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-19-2012 09:51 PM)the Big Camel Wrote:  

WKU 330 - ---- - 400

Can see why the Mets suck if you are basing how parks play for power based on dimensions only.

As one of the bigger Mets fans around, I thought the same thing at first.
03-19-2012 10:06 PM
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
The funny thing is that our opponents are playing us in the same park as MT is playing in on that day....

Not sure what the whining is about... If you don't like ridiculous #s on offense, then college baseball isn't for you.
03-19-2012 10:21 PM
the Big Camel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
In all fairness, Middle Tennessee's field does play as one of the the smaller parks in the league.
03-19-2012 10:42 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-19-2012 10:21 PM)RaiderATO Wrote:  The funny thing is that our opponents are playing us in the same park as MT is playing in on that day....

Not sure what the whining is about... If you don't like ridiculous #s on offense, then college baseball isn't for you.

Im not sure about that. SEC teams rarely produce crazy offensive numbers and they have won the last 3 national titles.

Pitching is what wins in College baseball now. They've changed the bats so much that the playing field is finally level.
03-19-2012 10:53 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee

WKU 330 - ---- - 400

Winds would have to blow out of the east routinely for MT to have an advantage with the wind. They generally blow out of the west or southwest in the spring. If they come out of the north that's a bigger problem for lefties. Out of the south it helps the lefties a little more. If there is a wind advantage it would be becasue the football stadium blocks a lot of the western originating winds, so if you hit line drives and keep the ball below the upper deck you can have a near zero wind effect.

However, if the winds are blowing hard out of the west say 20 knots or better it will knock a lot of balls down as it funnels over the top of the stadium and sinks.

Boro is right. If you can hit you can hit. Aluminum bats make most 330/400 fields bam boxes even with the modifications they've made. I can see where winds like you described in Jonesboro could significantly effect things. I played in Chicago once with cold winds blowing in off the lake and it was brutal. I never played at New Mexico St, but when I worked for MT I got to see it. They had fourty mile per hour winds in the desert with sand blowing in your face all game. That has to be the worst conditions I've ever seen for a game.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2012 07:53 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
03-20-2012 07:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.