Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Why NBE deserves the BCS bid
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

Here is something I took from the UCONN Boneyard board someone put up. Since the BCS will use the actual average of the entire league to judge BCS worthy. Conferences like CUSA and MWC are not even close to this.

Since there's been some talk aboout the BCS using the average ranking of the entire conference v. the To 12 BE rule, below is the average ranking of each BCS conference using the CBS Sportsline Poll. Take it for what it's worth.

B12 - 33.5 (B12 North by itself averaged 13)
P10 - 38.8 (how does ASU drop only 3 spots to 24 after losing to Ariz.?)
NACC - 40.8 (WF-79 and Duke-92 hurt the ACC)
NBE - 45.1 (USF-80 and RU-84 are the only NBE teams not in the top 50)
SEC - 45.4 (Miss, Miss St, Vandy, and KY are ranked b/w 81-99)
B10 - 46.6 (PSU, IU, Illini are not in the top 75)

I'm not saying that the NBE is the #4 BCS conference, but I'm not going to lump us in w/ the mid-majors. While the NBE may have only 1 (maybe 2) top 10-15 teams, the conference as a whole is competitive top to bottom. 75% of the conference is in the top 50. No other conference can boast that. Now we just need to get more than 2-3 in the top 25, and always have at least 1 in the top 10.

This post was edited on 12/3 10:18 AM by rm10
12-03-2004 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

The NBE is nowhere close to the top 5 leagues Husky, that is not realistic. What will decide the issue is who makes money in the big bowl games and to do that you have to produce ratings. My guess is the the Pitt-Utah game will be a ratings disaster for the networks. Neither they nor the BCS will tolerate that for long no matter what the rules say. That is why OU and So Cal will play in Miami and not Auburn. OU and So Cal are a little better draw than Auburn vs either. Thats why a 2 loss Nebraska team was placed in the title game vs Miami and few years ago instead of an obviously more deserving Oregon.
Look at the Pitt-Utah ratings and that will tell you what you need to know. If they are in the park with the rose and Sugar then that is positive but if they are as bad as I think they will be then you can be sure changes will be on the way.
12-03-2004 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Give it a rest. You are talking one year and you think the conference will be like this forever? Next year's NBE will be much better conference top down. The point of the post is to show there is plenty of balance up and down the conference against other BCS conferences. If UL is in the BE this year, no one will be bitching cause UL will be going to the BCS on BE's auto bid and they deserve the bid on their own merits.

Why would someone watch the Pitt vs. Utah game? Maybe because people want to see Tyler Palko play? Have you seen this kid? He is worth watching alone.
12-03-2004 01:04 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Why do you guys continue to argue with TopCoog? Talk about wasting your time!
12-03-2004 01:07 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Just watch the numbers Husky, we'll see what happens. This is a business, not your little sand box. There is no free lunch.
12-03-2004 01:46 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Even if the # suck, it wont matter. It is just one year. So by your stupid logic, if the OU vs. USC game suck and one one watches it, they should take the auto bid from the B12 and P10?
12-03-2004 01:51 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Husky...you would argue with a concrete block. Everything you are saying is based on pure emotion and wishful thinking. You know darn well that everything I'm saying about advertising money is correct. If you don't believe me then educate yourself on the business and come back and we'll have a conversation about quarter hour maintence and the other crucial factors that go into these decisions.
I am not anti Big East as some here purport but I have heard some of the most ignorant, emotionally based diatrabe on this board to be found anywhere.
12-03-2004 01:58 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

TopCoog Wrote:Husky...you would argue with a concrete block.
Its obvious to everyone here that he is doing just that.
12-03-2004 02:19 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks Husky; unfortunately it probably won't matter too much. There is so much NBE hatred. Let them hate while we watch our teams play in January.
12-03-2004 02:25 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Coog, if it is based solely on ratings (i.e. advertising dollars), then I am truly not worried. With the Big East covering all of the Northeast, and having teams in the Cincinnati, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Chicago markets, they will draw good ratings. Yes, maybe the teams won't be a big draw in the southwest and out in California, but the people on the east coast will watch these games and enjoy them.
12-03-2004 02:31 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Its called Jealousy. BTW, I just spoke to the ticket office today regarding UCONN's Motor City bowl sales. In 2 days before they open to the general public, UCONN already sold over 3000 bowl tickets and 5 planes already been filled with UCONN fans to go to Detroit. The rest of the country gonna find out UCONN football fans travel in packs to support their team anywhere. I project there will be at least 15,000 Husky fans in Detroit on Dec 27th.
12-03-2004 04:17 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Do you ever make sense?

Talk about advertising dollars? Well let me remind you there are more people living in the East Coast than anywhere in the U.S. You think people in CT give a rats ****** what OU or Miami is doing? People would rather watch UCONN vs. RU than watching those other games.

This proves you dont know Jack. There is no way they would take a the BCS bid away from the BE because 1/3 of people live in the NE.

Besides, the NBE is much better conference than people like you give credit for it. We gonna play on Jan 1 no matter what, so get over it.
12-03-2004 04:24 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:Everything you are saying is based on pure emotion and wishful thinking.
As opposed to your arguments, which are based on complete lies.

Quote:2 loss Nebraska team was placed in the title game vs Miami
Nebraska was a one loss team. As was Oregon, so it isn't exactly the huge market draw conspiracy you claim it is as much as it's a result of the BCS computer polls (and at this time the computers were a much bigger part of the BCS) being infatuated with the Big 12 (Neb. 01, Oklahoma last year) and a tendency to frown upon the PAC 10 (see USC last year, Oregon in 01).

Quote:OU and So Cal are a little better draw than Auburn vs either.
And that's why Auburn will be left out? It seems the exact opposite happened last year. The big market team (USC) was left out for a "less desirable" Oklahoma/LSU matchup, at least less desirable based on market size and 'draw power'. Look, the BCS championship game does not take markets into consideration. It is a combination of who the computers and human opinion believe to be the two best teams in the country. Last I checked the computers don't care about your history or prestige. I doubt ABC is twisting the arms of the AP/Coaches voters to get them to keep Auburn out of the BCS. I would attribute it more to the fact that USC and Oklahoma were preseason #1 and #2 while Auburn had to come out of relative obscurity.
12-03-2004 05:11 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

My 2 cents: NBE should be striped of its BCS bid for a 3 year probationary period.... the conference with the highest average Sagarin rank over that time period gets the bid.

Of course I'd really prefer a 16 team playoff as determined by Sagarin... but that's a story for another day.
12-04-2004 03:18 AM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

Why not strip the Pac 10? They only have USC and Cal. The rest of their conference stinks.

Why not strip the ACC? Their highest ranked school is Miami at a mere #10.

Swag: if you think Ga Tech will get into a BCS bowl by stealing other conference's slots, then maybe you need to reconsider your morals and ethics. and your common sense.

The best way to get into a BCS bowl is to win your games.

The Big East will field at least as good a conference as the Pac 10. or as the ACC prior to them stealing Miami, VT and BC.

I'd rather see a playoff somehow too, but a playoff would allow automatic bids too. Fact is, the Big East is not going away. You cannot kill it. You tried. ESPN tried. CBS has tried. It will not die because the schools and fans of their schools won't let it.

You're in for a big shock when Louisville wins the NC next year.
12-04-2004 08:48 AM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:NBE should be striped of its BCS bid for a 3 year probationary period....
That would cripple recruiting and after the three year period is over the Big East would be even worse than it is now.

Geez this is ridiculous. Was the PAC 10 taking all this crap week in and week out when they sent an unranked Stanford to the BCS? The BCS doesn't judge conferences on one year so why is everyone ready to strip the bid and send us to the land of mid-majors after one year?
12-04-2004 08:57 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Nice post SF Husky
12-04-2004 09:08 AM
Advertisement

Socko Wiethe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

TopCoog Wrote:My guess is the the Pitt-Utah game will be a ratings disaster for the networks.
I don't think that's taking a realistic look at the situation.

The fact that you are going to have your first non-BCS breakthrough team in Utah playing will draw a significant number of curious fans.

The additional factor that Urban Meyer and his high-flying offense will be on display will also be a draw. This will be must-see TV for the U. of Florida nation, so it's almost like having the Gators in your bowl.

Neither school brings a huge fan base to the game's ratings, but Pitt will do fairly well in its home region and among curious fans of other Big East schools, while it's likely the entire state of Utah will be focused on this game and a significant number of other pride-by-association viewers from other Mountain West outposts.

I actually think this has the potential to be one of the more viewed bowls this year.
12-04-2004 11:22 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Base on your logic, ACC should be striped of its BCS bid. What happened when a 8-4 FSU team that went to the BCS game? Please answer these questions:

1. Why does ACC deserve the BCS bid? The two former BE teams are playing for your championship game today. If nothing else, it proves rest of the ACC sucks and those teams are no better than whats in the BE. Why does ACC deserve it?

2. B12 - Outside of OU, who else they got? Texas is so overrated it is not even funny. Why was the last time Texas won anything?

3. Pac-10 - Outside Cal and USC, who else they got? Rest of the league sucks.

4. B10 - Michigan is going after losing to medicore OSU and ND teams, why does the B10 deserve a BCS bid? Please answer.

Based on your logic, every league should go on the 3 year probation terms. Instead of blaming the BE, people like you and TopCOOG need to foucs on blaming the BCS as a system. We all want a playoff and BCS sucks. Why dont you focus on that instead of blaming the BE? BE is only doing what it is suppose to do and is working within the system.

BTW, if UL is in the BE this year would we even be having this discussion? It seems all people care about is super team in each league ano no one will be bitching about the BCS at all. UL would have won the BE this year and they would go to the BCS this year. Please tell me Miami or Va Tech would want to face the Cards on a neutral court. I am pretty sure Cards will be favored for those games. Frankly, Cards would do well against any of the BCS team this year.

So, please tell me why BE should get go on a 3 year probation while a leagues like ACC, B10, B12 and Pac10 deserve it?
12-04-2004 01:06 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.