Chicago Teachers Want 30% Raise in 2 Years
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

It's for the kids.

by Jim Hoft 02/17/2012

In 2010 14,866 Illinois teachers made over $100,000.

The highest paid teacher in Illinois teaches PE and made $203,154.
760 Illinois P.E. teachers made over $100,000 not including benefits.
but, they want more...

The Chicago Teachers Union is asking for 30% raises in next two years.

The Chicago Tribune reported:

The Chicago Teachers Union is asking for raises amounting to 30 percent over the next two years, the opening salvo in heated contract negotiations with school officials who are implementing a longer school day across Chicago Public Schools next school year.

Documents obtained by the Tribune show that in the face of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's expansion of the school day, the union has led with an offer seeking a 24 percent raise in the 2012-13 school year and a 5 percent increase the following year, the net effect being 30 percent.
It may be playing hardball, or it could be, as one education expert described it, an "exorbitant offer" that ignores the district's growing financial constraints. As she left CTU headquarters for contract negotiations Thursday, union President Karen Lewis declined to comment on the details of the proposal.

"We are not negotiating this in the public," Lewis said. CTU spokeswoman Stephanie Gadlin issued a statement, saying: "Our contract negotiations have just begun and are negotiated in good faith and not in the public. We have not authorized the release of any proposals outside of negotiations." The proposal also calls for reducing elementary school class sizes from 28 to 23 students and shrinking class sizes in the upper grade levels from about 31 students to 23.
02-19-2012 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: Chicago Teachers Want 30% Raise in 2 Years
03-yawn Thanks. I am quite sure that those PE teachers are also sports coaches thus make more. I had an a-hole PE teacher at my high school who also coached football. Keep on trying SOAF. As to why they are asking for that big a raise, thats what you do when you negotiate. You go high, you don't go low and negotiate up. THey know damn well they aren't getting a 30% raise or anywhere near that.
02-19-2012 11:13 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
"14,866 Illinois teachers made over $100,000"

Notice how few of them are PE teachers Robert.
02-19-2012 11:34 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
I hope they get it.
02-20-2012 07:54 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-19-2012 11:13 PM)RobertN Wrote:  03-yawn Thanks. I am quite sure that those PE teachers are also sports coaches thus make more. I had an a-hole PE teacher at my high school who also coached football. Keep on trying SOAF. As to why they are asking for that big a raise, thats what you do when you negotiate. You go high, you don't go low and negotiate up. THey know damn well they aren't getting a 30% raise or anywhere near that.

What would being a sports coach as well justify 100K? Seriously?
02-20-2012 08:33 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Quote:"We are not negotiating this in the public,"

Why not?

It's the public's money they're spending, don't they have a right to know? The teacher's will get a hefty raise, taxes will go up, and the teacher's salaries will be kept secret.
02-20-2012 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-20-2012 11:56 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  
Quote:"We are not negotiating this in the public,"

Why not?

It's the public's money they're spending, don't they have a right to know? The teacher's will get a hefty raise, taxes will go up, and the teacher's salaries will be kept secret.

You have it backwards... We all know the money that we earn really belongs to society...
02-20-2012 11:57 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Communists
02-20-2012 12:03 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
these days i feel like teachers deserve it. they're asked to do so much more than they're supposed to. I'm not saying my job doesn't give me a lot of work, but at least I don't have to discipline a bunch of brats who don't get disciplined at home, and then have parents come at me and say that isn't my job.
02-20-2012 12:07 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-20-2012 12:07 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  these days i feel like teachers deserve it. they're asked to do so much more than they're supposed to. I'm not saying my job doesn't give me a lot of work, but at least I don't have to discipline a bunch of brats who don't get disciplined at home, and then have parents come at me and say that isn't my job.

Swoosh... If I could make 100K teaching I would be out the door where I am before I could hit "post reply"

Every work place has its own little aspects of hell to deal with.
02-20-2012 12:18 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(02-20-2012 12:18 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(02-20-2012 12:07 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  these days i feel like teachers deserve it. they're asked to do so much more than they're supposed to. I'm not saying my job doesn't give me a lot of work, but at least I don't have to discipline a bunch of brats who don't get disciplined at home, and then have parents come at me and say that isn't my job.

Swoosh... If I could make 100K teaching I would be out the door where I am before I could hit "post reply"

THen move from Minnesota to Illinois and become a teacher. Stop bitching about it and do it.

I agree with the second part. You are the "little aspect of hell" in your workplace.
02-20-2012 12:28 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-20-2012 12:28 PM)RobertN Wrote:  

THen move from Minnesota to Illinois and become a teacher. Stop bitching about it and do it.

I agree with the second part. You are the "little aspect of hell" in your workplace.

Unfortunately Teaching is one of those seniority driven pyramid schemes... I have three kids, the wife wants two more and we are a single income family, those first couple of years are whats keeping me out of the field.

The fact I have an engineering degree, 15 years of experience does not matter to the teachers unions.

BTW the second part, the personal attack on me... what was that for?
02-20-2012 12:32 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(02-20-2012 12:32 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Unfortunately Teaching is one of those seniority driven pyramid schemes... I have three kids, the wife wants two more and we are a single income family, those first couple of years are whats keeping me out of the field.

The fact I have an engineering degree, 15 years of experience does not matter to the teachers unions.

For the love of God! Please NO more children for you! 05-stirthepot

Sorry. Should have given a 03-wink or a 05-stirthepot
02-20-2012 12:39 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-20-2012 12:39 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(02-20-2012 12:32 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Unfortunately Teaching is one of those seniority driven pyramid schemes... I have three kids, the wife wants two more and we are a single income family, those first couple of years are whats keeping me out of the field.

For the love of God! Please NO more children for you! 05-stirthepot

Sorry. Should have given a 03-wink or a 05-stirthepot

Well someone has to have kids to pick up the tab our government is running up...
02-20-2012 12:43 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

you're a single income family and your wife wants to bring the child total to 5? Your comment a few posts up leads me to believe that you don't make 100K. How can your wife think a family that makes <100K could support 5 kids?
02-20-2012 01:16 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(02-20-2012 01:16 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

you're a single income family and your wife wants to bring the child total to 5? Your comment a few posts up leads me to believe that you don't make 100K. How can your wife think a family that makes <100K could support 5 kids?
Government aid? 05-stirthepot
02-20-2012 01:19 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-20-2012 01:16 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  you're a single income family and your wife wants to bring the child total to 5? Your comment a few posts up leads me to believe that you don't make 100K. How can your wife think a family that makes <100K could support 5 kids?

It can be done.

Libs love to talk about "sustainability," yet it's traditionalists like Bull who get it done.
02-20-2012 01:20 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-20-2012 01:16 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Well 100K would be a raise for me but not a hugggeee one... I'm parked somewhere in the 80-85% household income range (80-95K). But we are planning for me to eventually make less. IT is going away and if it does not the hours/stress are not something I care to endure long into my 40's.

Hopefully in 5 years or so we will be positioned for me to leave the field and go into teaching (which has been kind of a dream since I started having kids). So the plan is to work ourselves down to living on 45K over the next two or three years and to pocket the difference into savings.

Growing up in a family of seven kids who for many years had just one income, and one substantially lower than what I make now has taught me how to live tight.

You don't have to deprive your family.

1) We have just one car. On the days when my wife wants it she drops everyone off (me at work, kids at school) other days I do it. Saves us about 200 dollars a month in car payments and insurance.

2) Being good stewards of toys/cloths.. My oldest kids share all their cloths, they are about the same size. Every year they get two dresses that are their own (Christmas and Easter), evenrything else is common property. Plus a lot of the cloths they do get are hand me downs from my sister (and her daughter) back east.

When my kids start to outgrow an article of clothing, or a toy, it either gets donated to the good will or carefully packed. My newborn will not want for cloths or toys for at least 18 months.

3) Food: My wife is a couponing fiend. I have gotten 100$ in groceries for 30 or 40$. We actually invested in a stand alone freezer so that when meat goes on sale we stock up. Over the month of January I purchased enough steak for one meal a week until may and did so for about 40 cents on the dollar for what it usually cost

Plus you make due. I buy on rotisserie chicken a week and get two dinners and a lunch out of it for the kids. (1) Chicken (2) make stock with the bones for soup (2) leftover chicken salad lunch.

We don't eat out a lot and I've gotten pretty handy in the kitchen (She shops, I cook)

Couponing extends to toys. My wife just bought about 70$ in new toys for 15$ and we put them away. The Girls can either buy them with their 'salary' (they get about a dime a day depending on how many chores they do) or wait until xmas, easter, birthdays at which point they will be given. They can also buy them cheaper if they want to give them to their friends.

4) Entertainment: We don't have cable and have the cheapest broadband we can get 27$ a month. With that we subscribe to netflix 10$. Usually we find one or two free redbox codes a month. So our 'digital entertainment' budget is about 37$ a month.

Also there is a ton of free things to do with kids. We took them to the MSP chamber orchestra 'mother goose for kids' performance Saturday. It was free, then we went for a walk in the park near out home that afternoon.

I do the build and grows at Lowes and Home Depot with my kids, free toys plus quality time building something with them.

Really the only entertainment money I spend is during the summer when family visits and we take the kids to movies / amusement parks. Or when my wife and I get a sitter so we can go out on a date.

---

Our house payments run us about 1,200 a month but that's a long term investment so Ill suffer the expense now. Eventually rents will exceed that around me (they are already pretty close for a nice three bedroom apt)

Suffice it to say that not only do we get by but my wife takes half of her couponing money and puts it in a vacation fund for the summer. I scrape up a few bucks a month on 'bull run' that get split between my kids saving accounts and my investment account(s).

And there is still waste, my wife and I struggle with it all the time. So much that we have decided to start fully tithing and living without that money.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2012 02:19 PM by Bull_In_Exile.)
02-20-2012 01:45 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-20-2012 01:19 PM)RobertN Wrote:  Government aid? 05-stirthepot

I would take it if needed but with the knowledge that (1) As a man its my job to provide, while I might swallow my pride for a short time I better be doing something to get out of that situations. (2) It's nothing I am 'entitled to'...
02-20-2012 01:46 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-20-2012 01:20 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(02-20-2012 01:16 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  you're a single income family and your wife wants to bring the child total to 5? Your comment a few posts up leads me to believe that you don't make 100K. How can your wife think a family that makes <100K could support 5 kids?

It can be done.

Libs love to talk about "sustainability," yet it's traditionalists like Bull who get it done.

The best part is I had family try to push us into getting her a job. When we explained the cost of a second car, day care for two kids, and other expenses (cloths/food/etc..) worked out to be about 2,200$ a month they relented.

2,200 out of pocket would be about 3K earned income or a salary of 36K... so for 36K she would 'break even' but miss her kids at home, and our lunch dates...

Im going back to school in a bit, trying to get her to decide on an emergency career field so she can do the same. (e.g if I get hit by a bus what would she do to provide)..
02-20-2012 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.