Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Good-bye, Mountaineers
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
Good-bye, Mountaineers
It's official, apparently. This from the WVU sports site:
Mike Fragale Wrote:West Virginia University has reached a settlement agreement with the Big East Conference in the pending civil actions in West Virginia and Rhode Island, WVU officials confirmed today. Oliver Luck WVU will officially begin its full membership in the Big 12 Conference in July.

I never liked WVU, but that's why we're called "opposing fans," I suppose. The greatest compliment I can pay the Mountaineers is that I didn't want you to leave the conference.

I can put my rancor behind me, though. I do not feel bad about the new Big East that's developing from the old one, but that doesn't mean that I would have been in favor of any of the old teams leaving. Each of you had a place in this conference, and whether the new conference is better or worse, it will not be the same conference.

I suppose everybody feels that way when raiding/expansion occurs. But here's to you, WVU Mountaineers. It remains to be seen whether I root for you or against you in your new conference. The gut is a strange thing. But I can honestly say that I hope to be rooting for you.

There's a certain level of comfort in the everyday; but if nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 10:33 AM by SmallVoice.)
02-14-2012 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
RE: Good-bye, Mountaineers
I can honestly say as a WVU fan, I will miss the BE; but without VT and now without Pitt, it was not going to ever be the same.

But now I get to remain a BE fan, as Memphis now belongs02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 10:37 AM by Tigeer.)
02-14-2012 10:37 AM
vinman3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU & Big 12
(02-14-2012 10:32 AM)SmallVoice Wrote:  It's official, apparently. This from the WVU sports site:
Mike Fragale Wrote:West Virginia University has reached a settlement agreement with the Big East Conference in the pending civil actions in West Virginia and Rhode Island, WVU officials confirmed today. Oliver Luck WVU will officially begin its full membership in the Big 12 Conference in July.

I never liked WVU, but that's why we're called "opposing fans," I suppose. The greatest compliment I can pay the Mountaineers is that I didn't want you to leave the conference.

I can put my rancor behind me, though. I do not feel bad about the new Big East that's developing from the old one, but that doesn't mean that I would have been in favor of any of the old teams leaving. Each of you had a place in this conference, and whether the new conference is better or worse, it will not be the same conference.

I suppose everybody feels that way when raiding/expansion occurs. But here's to you, WVU Mountaineers. It remains to be seen whether I root for you or against you in your new conference. The gut is a strange thing. But I can honestly say that I hope to be rooting for you.

There's a certain level of comfort in the everyday; but if nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.

04-cheers I wish you well too SmallVoice, I know we've had our conflicts, but I never took things personal, and never meant any disrespect (even if you thought I did). Louisville needs to step up and be the flagship of the NBE. I personally am extactic to be off to the Big 12, but wish our former conference mates well in the future.
02-14-2012 10:40 AM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
(02-14-2012 10:40 AM)vinman3 Wrote:  I wish you well too SmallVoice, I know we've had our conflicts, but I never took things personal, and never meant any disrespect (even if you thought I did). Louisville needs to step up and be the flagship of the NBE. I personally am extactic to be off to the Big 12, but wish our former conference mates well in the future.

Thanks. And I should've been clearer: When I said I didn't like you, I was obviously referring to your sports teams. But I think you figured that out.
02-14-2012 10:46 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Goodbye Mountaineers. Obviously as a Rutgers fan who's always known WVU as one of our traditional, annual rivals my entire life this is tough. Hopefully, we can get you folks on the schedule in all sports on a regularish basis. And who knows if the rumors are true Rutgers may be following you down there anyway.
02-14-2012 10:47 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I've got mixed emotions on the move. On the one hand, I'll be glad to see the last of The BEast ridicule on ESPiN pointed in WVU's direction. But on the other hand, I know how everyone left behind feels, because it wasn't all that long ago that WVU was in the same boat with the conference members we are now leaving...

I'll miss the rivalries, both old (BEast 1.0) and new (BEast 2.0). But life goes on, usually not as you'd prefer it to go...
02-14-2012 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
cya later billies, good luck in the Big 12
02-14-2012 11:45 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Hope to see y'all join us sometime in the near future, BB... 04-cheers
02-14-2012 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(02-14-2012 11:47 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Hope to see y'all join us sometime in the near future, BB... 04-cheers

04-cheers
02-14-2012 11:54 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I've been amusing myself reading back through some old threads, about WVU leaving, our desire to start in the Big 12 for 2012, the suit, counter-suit, etc...

Lots of stuff like this:

"WVU is going nowhere. Enjoy your seat at the table until 2014 mountaineers."

Yeah... not so much.

I've got mixed emotions like most WVU fans. I strongly feel that WVU belongs in an Eastern conference, but with Penn State out of the picture the Big East was doomed to 2nd class status. We no longer have to worry about being left out, or being in a conference that has to scrap and fight for a seat at the "big boys" table. That in itself is huge. The $$$ is huge. Games against Texas and Oklahoma every year... new rivalries will be built, but I will miss the old ones. I'll miss playing all the BE teams, but life moves on.

Best of luck to all current, future and former BE teams. It was fun while it lasted.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 12:01 PM by wvucrazed.)
02-14-2012 12:00 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Goodbye WVU. Best wishes. I will root for you in the B12. The WVU-USF series was a budding rivalry that was almost was a true rivalry.
02-14-2012 12:34 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Maybe the Bulls will get a chance to even the record someday... 04-cheers
02-14-2012 12:34 PM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(02-14-2012 10:47 AM)brista21 Wrote:  Goodbye Mountaineers. Obviously as a Rutgers fan who's always known WVU as one of our traditional, annual rivals my entire life this is tough. Hopefully, we can get you folks on the schedule in all sports on a regularish basis. And who knows if the rumors are true Rutgers may be following you down there anyway.

I will miss the Rutgers game (can't count how many I have been to) and would be fine with RU's inclusion in the Big 12 if it should come to pass.
02-14-2012 12:36 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
The SU - WVU series ends with SU winning the final 2 games. The trophy stays where it belongs. 05-stirthepot
02-14-2012 12:36 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Going forward, great games,fans Keep up the Good work in the 12. Hopefully we will join You someday!
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 12:44 PM by CardFan1.)
02-14-2012 12:43 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Good luck to WVU in the Big 12. You will be badly missed by the Big East as you provided most of the little football credibility we had over the past eight seasons.
02-14-2012 12:47 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
I would like to know the exact settlement figure and how that will be distributed or what it wil be allocated to.
02-14-2012 12:51 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(02-14-2012 12:51 PM)Bearcat T Wrote:  I would like to know the exact settlement figure and how that will be distributed or what it wil be allocated to.

Seems clear that the amount is $20 million. What isn't clear is how it will be distributed. Hopefully, it will be distributed on a pro-rated basis, with those programs that have been full members of the Big East for many years getting the most, basketball-only schools of long standing getting the second most, and newly added programs little or nothing.
02-14-2012 12:54 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(02-14-2012 11:47 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Hope to see y'all join us sometime in the near future, BB... 04-cheers

sad to see wv leave, i seen them play boston college in chestnut hill back in the 90's, i was in awe..............

i wish you would stay, but good luck in the big 12, academicaly you fit fine 04-cheers04-bow
02-14-2012 01:21 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(02-14-2012 12:36 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The SU - WVU series ends with SU winning the final 2 games. The trophy stays where it belongs. 05-stirthepot

I hope we play the Mountaineers a couple times every decade for old times sake. All the best to you guys in the B12. I may have to travel to TCU and watch you two play.

Be careful, UT really does think the world revolves around them.
02-14-2012 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.