Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
BE expansion...who is going to be added next?
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

This thread was brought to my attention on another board.... <a href='http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/index.cgi?board=acc&action=display&num=1107381165&start=0' target='_blank'>http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/index.cg...7381165&start=0</a>

-- The author of the orginal posts offers a lot of categories as to how the prospective schools who want to join us will be judged...pretty interesting stuff

Jackson
02-02-2005 10:36 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Only Jackson would use another message board as a source for his favorite topic non topic.
Earth to jackson....is anyone home...hello. Expansion is not an issue right now.
02-03-2005 10:46 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Earth to Coog, go back to your board. You are not welcome here. You do nothing but embarrass your fellow Houston fans (and they have even admitted on the C-USA board in the past that you do this).
02-03-2005 11:49 AM
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

JAckson,

I have seen you posts numerous times on this subject. What would your 12 team all sports Eastern Athletic Conference look like.

Here's mine

West Virginia
UCONN
Syracuse
Rutgers
Louisville
Cinncy
South Florida
Pittsburg
East Carolina
Central Flordia
Southern Miss
Memphis

I would have to say Marshall and UCF would be a toss up though. I put UCF in because I feel WVU would have a hard time allowing Marshall.
02-03-2005 12:20 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

mlbUC Wrote:Earth to Coog, go back to your board. You are not welcome here. You do nothing but embarrass your fellow Houston fans (and they have even admitted on the C-USA board in the past that you do this).
Hey mlb, use this little button [Image: p_ignore.gif]
I have no idea he's around unless someone makes reference, its very nice
02-03-2005 04:07 PM
GlassBowl9 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo

Hmmm............I think Toledo might be a good fit,

They offer solid football every year, we are supported very well for a MAC school, and aren’t that far off of the footprint of the BE. The only problem is the BE tends to give our football team fits, with the exception of Pitt last year. The BE needs to raise its football rankings, and Toledo could help right now.
02-03-2005 04:28 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Fanatical Wrote:Hey mlb, use this little button [Image: p_ignore.gif]
I have no idea he's around unless someone makes reference, its very nice
I've already got BearCattitude on that, I guess I'll have to add another. I just hate to have to ignore people... I end up lost on some threads :)
02-03-2005 06:08 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats

GlassBowl9 Wrote:Hmmm............I think Toledo might be a good fit,

They offer solid football every year, we are supported very well for a MAC school, and aren’t that far off of the footprint of the BE. The only problem is the BE tends to give our football team fits, with the exception of Pitt last year. The BE needs to raise its football rankings, and Toledo could help right now.
Just say no to Toledo! :laugh: I don't want any MAC schools in the Big East.
02-03-2005 08:55 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

shocknawe Wrote:

They offer solid football every year, we are supported very well for a MAC school, and aren’t that far off of the footprint of the BE.&nbsp; The only problem is the BE tends to give our football team fits, with the exception of Pitt last year.&nbsp; The BE needs to raise its football rankings, and Toledo could help right now.
What do you think Cincinnati is? A founding member of the MAC.

I seriously think there should be more talk of Northern Illinois as a Big East candidate. 5 straight winning seasons. Attendance average of 27,000. Chicago area market. Brand new hoops facility.
02-03-2005 11:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Kit-Cat Wrote:
shocknawe Wrote:

They offer solid football every year, we are supported very well for a MAC school, and aren’t that far off of the footprint of the BE.  The only problem is the BE tends to give our football team fits, with the exception of Pitt last year.  The BE needs to raise its football rankings, and Toledo could help right now.

I seriously think there should be more talk of Northern Illinois as a Big East candidate. 5 straight winning seasons. Attendance average of 27,000. Chicago area market. Brand new hoops facility.
Ahh, no thanks.

You guys did beat UK this past year. Thanks for doing that because that makes a great comeback to almost anything their idiot fans say when they actually have the nerve to try football smack. Othwise though programs like Ohio or NIU simply don't have the resources to compete in the BE in all the sports. In football they would compete for a few years, than fall back to 3-8 or worse every year for a while. Basketball would be you guys pulling some upsets but overall would struggle mightly to make even the conference tourney every year.

And finally, a total guess but I have a feeling the gap in non-revenue sports may be the biggest gaps due to huge budget differences.
02-04-2005 02:06 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Some people just go nuts if anyone happens to disagree with them. there is psychological help avilable for that kind of emotional problem. Fact is, realignment is not an issue at this time and every frickin one of you know it. Pointing that out is not out of line. How long to we have to read this crap? Over & over & over & over & over & over again, and then we hear it some more. Just mindless , clueless posts with absolutly zero basis in fact.
02-04-2005 09:05 AM
Advertisement

GlassBowl9 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo

CollegeCard Wrote:
Kit-Cat Wrote:
shocknawe Wrote:

They offer solid football every year, we are supported very well for a MAC school, and aren’t that far off of the footprint of the BE.  The only problem is the BE tends to give our football team fits, with the exception of Pitt last year.  The BE needs to raise its football rankings, and Toledo could help right now.

Ahh, no thanks.

You guys did beat UK this past year. Thanks for doing that because that makes a great comeback to almost anything their idiot fans say when they actually have the nerve to try football smack. Othwise though programs like Ohio or NIU simply don't have the resources to compete in the BE in all the sports. In football they would compete for a few years, than fall back to 3-8 or worse every year for a while. Basketball would be you guys pulling some upsets but overall would struggle mightly to make even the conference tourney every year.

And finally, a total guess but I have a feeling the gap in non-revenue sports may be the biggest gaps due to huge budget differences.
Did you watch the big east this year? Toledo, BG, Northern Ill, and Miami of Ohio all would of had winning records in the Big East in football this year. No team was great, and last year when Pitt was ranked 9th in the country and played Toledo they lost. Toledo would help the Big East right now, because they have no depth in football.
02-04-2005 10:40 AM
vinman3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU & Big 12

IF there was a MAC school I would like to see in the BEAST, it would be Miami (OH), better basketball tradition as well as solid football program. I am not at all knocking Toledo in saying that. Just my opinion.
02-04-2005 10:46 AM
Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

GlassBowl9 Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:
Kit-Cat Wrote:
shocknawe Wrote:

Ahh, no thanks.

Did you watch the big east this year? Toledo, BG, Northern Ill, and Miami of Ohio all would of had winning records in the Big East in football this year. No team was great, and last year when Pitt was ranked 9th in the country and played Toledo they lost. Toledo would help the Big East right now, because they have no depth in football.
What? Toledo? Help in football. Defeated Pitt. Don't all you MAC schools know that BE expansion is about which institution will add $$$$ to the revenue pot. The question is not about whose football team beat who!
02-04-2005 01:05 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:No team was great, and last year when Pitt was ranked 9th in the country and played Toledo they lost.
I think you proved that to be a fluke by losing to Syracuse rather handily the following week.

The fact that Toledo was blown out by the #5 Big East team in the league's worst ever year (04-05) doesn't help your case either.

Toledo would not add much depth or consistency to this league.

Quote:How long to we have to read this crap?
As long as us Big East fans feel like talking about it on our Big East board. Why don't you go discuss some baseball or the sleeping giant known as Rice over on the CUSA board if you hate our discussions so much? Or maybe you should discuss who is on your short list for expansion just in case the Big East were to ever go cherry pickin and take your marquee programs (again).

P.S. The original link was very informative. I'm bookmarking that one.
02-04-2005 04:08 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

TopCoog Wrote:How long to we have to read this crap? Over & over & over & over & over & over again, and then we hear it some more. Just mindless , clueless posts with absolutly zero basis in fact.
...you DON'T have to read it...that's your choice.

And the only thing with absolutely zero basis in fact is that you claim that there is no chance of the BE splitting into two conferences.
02-04-2005 06:19 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

After just looking at the numbers...it seems Memphis is the most solid choice in terms of football fan support, bball success, bball fan suppot, AD budgets etc....the only thing that MEMphis is low at is football winning % and I think that is starting to slowly change...throw in the Liberty bowl and the Tigers and BE look like a good fit for each other...

Jackson
02-04-2005 06:50 PM
djaphone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC Bearcats

I don't think that Memphis would be a bad choice except for their location. The main problem with the old C-USA was that it was an absolute geographical nightmare. UC has had far from stellar fan support for our football program, but I think a lot of that was due to a lack of rivalries. If you are not a diehard UC fan like most of us on this board, when you see a schedule packed with the likes of Houston, TCU, and Tulane it just does not garner much fan interest.

Memphis is a name program and we have a lot of history with them so I would have no problem with them being included. But who would their travel partner be? The Big East has traditionally been an East coast league and I just do not think the footprint should be expanded much farther than the current configuration. There are certainly a lot of variables and it should be an interesting next few years.

One question, if the league does split along football and basketball lines in the next few years like many anticipate, which league would retain the Big East name? What would your suggestions be for the two?
02-04-2005 09:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:which league would retain the Big East name? What would your suggestions be for the two?
The basketball schools would probably keep the Big East name and Madison Square Garden. 'Eastern Athletic Conference' is the name thrown around most often when talking about the football schools splitting.

Quote:The Big East has traditionally been an East coast league
And I would like to see it kept that way. I don't want anybody south of Louisville or west of Cincinnati.
02-04-2005 09:59 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:The basketball schools would probably keep the Big East name and Madison Square Garden. 'Eastern Athletic Conference' is the name thrown around most often when talking about the football schools splitting.

-- Exactly right...It may be possible for the "EAC" bball tourney to be held in NYC as well...perhaps in the Big Apple bowl

Quote:QUOTE&nbsp;
The Big East has traditionally been an East coast league
And I would like to see it kept that way. I don't want anybody south of Louisville or west of Cincinnati.

-- Two problems with that...#1 we aready have a school south of Louisvile....at least when we had Miami we could say to ourselves lots of Miami's alumuni, fan base are in the northeast...both of which are untrue when it comes to USF

#2 there really isn't any more schools left to add in the NE....more then likely Penn St, ND, Boston College, Navy and Army don't want in for a variety of reasons...Temple and Buffalo have a lot of work to do to even be considered....and schools like Umass and Delaware...even if they annnounced today they were moving to D1 football today it would take yrs to get the funding in place for staduim/parking lot expansion and to get the extra funding for more football scholorships etc...there football programs might not be ready by 2010..and again that's if they announced there intentions today

-- This league's main problem is its fan base..or lack there of....Pitt, USF,UC,Rutgers and SU don't have a traveling fan base to speak off and that really puts us behing the 8 ball when it comes to bowls.....when we seperate from ND the Gator and Insight.com bowls go away....how is this league going to replace that? Memphis is really killing two birds with one stone...they have a decent fan base that will be above average in the EAC...and they bring a bowl game with them

-- Personally I would like to see ECU added as well to put the fan/bowl problem to bed once and for all...but from where I'm sitting Memphis is a must for a variety of reasons...not the least of which being the Liberty bowl itself

Jackson
02-05-2005 07:37 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.