Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
(Non BE) SEC and ACC looking at going to 14
GatorNation Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Just wanted your thoughts on Mick Hubert's comments about the ACC really looking at going to a 14 member league within the next 10 years by adding two big east teams while the SEC is also researching the idea of adding two more teams while there seems to be some thoughts about Pac10, Big 12, and Big 10 expansion. Looks like some SEC schools want to expand into the state of North Carolina while others want Texas. Also, I never understood why the Big East never added more football members. If the ACC begins to raid once again, several callers thought that either UConn or the Orange were gone, and Pitt might go to the Big 10. Thoughts!
02-16-2005 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Nobody is expanding beyond 12. It's not financially viable.
02-16-2005 08:57 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

I think the ACC will ultimately expand to 24 teams.
02-16-2005 09:01 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

Lets see the biggest story in college sports has just been broken by a radio talking head in Florida....not likely. Most of the country doesn't know who Mick Hubert is and don't listen to Florida Gator radio. Hell, most of Florida doesn't listen to Mick Hubert since the majority of the state are 'Cane and "Nole fans. :D
You should try a little thought before posting sh*t like this. How could the SEC and ACC expand further when they can't feed the 12 mouths they have now. The simply truth is ACC expansion has proved to be a bust. Swafford and his croines swung for the fence and struck out...LMAO. The kicker was when Swafford worked a deal to include this years BCS ranking of teams coming into the ACC and Big East next year. Winner the Big East....
CJ
02-16-2005 09:50 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

WacoBearcat Wrote:I think the ACC will ultimately expand to 24 teams.
Waco,
I must disagree. I can't see the ACC stopping until they reach at least 48 teams. :D Surely if they add that many teams they will be able to add 1 or 2 quality teams...LMAO
CJ
02-16-2005 09:53 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

Quote:Looks like some SEC schools want to expand into the state of North Carolina

Looking at it from our (Big East) perspective, you have to love the irony of the SEC potentially raiding the ACC for a school in North Carolina. :D
02-16-2005 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

nflsucks Wrote:Nobody is expanding beyond 12. It's not financially viable.
Not Necessairly........

If the schools to 14 can add enough TV dollars its theoretically possible. Unlikely but possible.
02-16-2005 10:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

I think the only way a conference is going to Super-Size is if they can leverage geography to their advantage. Simply adding teams just dilutes revenues. You have to do something to increase revenue, and you do that by adding markets - adding markets that you dominate.

The ACC can expand to 14, 16, even 18 by going into the Big East region. This would give the ACC the entire eastern seaboard, and... no other major conference competing with them.

The SEC can't expand because it is hemmed in by the Big 12, Big 10, and ACC (and the Gulf of Mexico).

The Big 10 could expand into the Big East region instead of the ACC. Once again, dominate the region - dominate from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic. The only thing is that the big 10 has shown no appetite for expansion like that. Nor does it seem to need it. The Big 10 has plenty of money.

So, in my humble opinion the only conference likely to Supersize would be the ACC.

The question is how big?

I'd like to see them take the entire Big East.

North Division
Cincy
Conn
Louisville
Maryland
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South Division
Clemson
Duke
Florida St
GT
Miami FL
NC
NCS
SC
South Fl
Wake

...which would create two ten-team divisions, which would dominate the east.
02-16-2005 11:08 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Not Necessairly........
If the schools to 14 can add enough TV dollars its theoretically possible. Unlikely but possible.

-- The only two schools in the east who could bring in those kind of dollars are Penn St and Notre Dame...no BE football team has that kind of market appeal

Jackson
02-16-2005 11:20 PM
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Hubert never said that it was going to happen, he just stated that he has heard that after some in the ACC are researching the idea, some in the SEC have started to look at the idea of going to 14. Some other points that were made were:
1) This was not going to happen in the near future, but 5 to 10 to 15 years down the road.
2) NO MORE D-1AA games, 14 teams would give both conferences an extra conference game
3) Several ADs in the ACC have made it well known that they are looking at going to 14, esp if the money is there
4) Fox is getting involved and have expressed interest in televising football, basketball, and non-revenue sports for major conferences, and it would not matter what teams were added, it would be based on the state since the SEC and JP can sign contracts to show games throughout an entire state and surrounding region if there is an SEC school located there.
5) SEC wants to get into the state of NC, even taking ECU if they had to (wtf) see #4 (SEC games in NC and parts of VA) and get into Texas, but Texas and A&M will not leave the Big 12
6) Inside info that other conferences beside the ACC and SEC are looking at going to 14, ie the Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 10.
02-16-2005 11:27 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Kit-Cat Wrote:
nflsucks Wrote:Nobody is expanding beyond 12.  It's not financially viable.
Not Necessairly........

MAC fan...we are talking about real dollars here. Not the pennies that non-BCS conferences must split. In a conference like the MAC you could add 50 schools and not reduce the revenue payout. If you don't have anything to share, whats the problem. In BCS dollars your talking millions.
Its simple economics. If the money isn't there it won't work.
CJ
02-17-2005 03:21 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

USFBullSpit Wrote:Several ADs in the ACC have made it well known that they are looking at going to 14, esp if the money is there

Fox is getting involved and have expressed interest in televising football, basketball, and non-revenue sports for major conferences
Please produce a link or some viable source that this is going on. I'm not talking about some idiot like Hubert or another ACC flunky but an impartional media source. You see the truth of the matter is you won't find it. For the sake of the ACC I hope it is though. Everything Swafford and his boys touch turns to sh*t. It is common knowledge that ACC expansion thus far has been less than successful. I can't wait for their next bungle.
As for Fox getting involved that has been common knowledge here on the Big East board for months.
CJ
02-17-2005 03:27 AM
zelinleaf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati

Haven't they seen the movie Supersize Me? And learned that Supersizing is unhealthy for them? :D Heck, even McDonald's is dropping its supersize menu...... These ACC and SEC folks just won't learn. :stupid:
02-17-2005 05:01 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

GatorNation Wrote:Just wanted your thoughts on Mick Hubert's comments about the ACC really looking at going to a 14 member league within the next 10 years by adding two big east teams while the SEC is also researching the idea of adding two more teams while there seems to be some thoughts about Pac10, Big 12, and Big 10 expansion. Looks like some SEC schools want to expand into the state of North Carolina while others want Texas. Also, I never understood why the Big East never added more football members. If the ACC begins to raid once again, several callers thought that either UConn or the Orange were gone, and Pitt might go to the Big 10. Thoughts!
The ACC and SEC aren't expanding to 14. Period.
02-17-2005 06:20 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Kit-Cat Wrote:
nflsucks Wrote:Nobody is expanding beyond 12.  It's not financially viable.
Not Necessairly........

Wrong. The SEC just had a meeting last spring and said they weren't expanding to 14 because adding two members DID NOT increase TV dollars. The ACC said the same thing during conference expansion. So people who think adding two more members to a 12 team conference will increase TV dollars are wrong. And that's not my opinion that's the opinions of these conferences.
02-17-2005 06:22 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

USFBullSpit Wrote:Hubert never said that it was going to happen, he just stated that he has heard that after some in the ACC are researching the idea, some in the SEC have started to look at the idea of going to 14. Some other points that were made were:
1) This was not going to happen in the near future, but 5 to 10 to 15 years down the road.
2) NO MORE D-1AA games, 14 teams would give both conferences an extra conference game
3) Several ADs in the ACC have made it well known that they are looking at going to 14, esp if the money is there
4) Fox is getting involved and have expressed interest in televising football, basketball, and non-revenue sports for major conferences, and it would not matter what teams were added, it would be based on the state since the SEC and JP can sign contracts to show games throughout an entire state and surrounding region if there is an SEC school located there.
5) SEC wants to get into the state of NC, even taking ECU if they had to (wtf) see #4 (SEC games in NC and parts of VA) and get into Texas, but Texas and A&M will not leave the Big 12
6) Inside info that other conferences beside the ACC and SEC are looking at going to 14, ie the Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 10.
This guy is full of crap. So he's the only guy in America with "inside information"? Ok.
02-17-2005 06:23 AM
Advertisement

Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

You guys better scoop ECU up before the SEC comes calling! :D

I agree that a 14 school conference is highly unlikely. I do believe that ECU would have a good shot at SEC membership if a miracle did occur. ECU is located in a southeastn state that has no other SEC member to block my Pirates from admission. The only other truly southeastern states not covered by the SEC are North Carolina & Virginia. ECU would also DOMINATE the Tidewater market as a member of the SEC. The ACC would cringe with the thought of all those well known SEC schools playing ball in North Carolina on a regular basis, since the local media would be forced to give the SEC more publicity & coverage. Don't even get me started on the recruiting advantage ECU would aquire.

Well, I can dream can't I folks?
02-17-2005 08:17 AM
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

Murph1 Wrote:
Quote:Looks like some SEC schools want to expand into the state of North Carolina

Looking at it from our (Big East) perspective, you have to love the irony of the SEC potentially raiding the ACC for a school in North Carolina. :D
Who said they would raid the ACC? There is another more SEC-like school located right in NC!!!
02-18-2005 12:23 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:
Murph1 Wrote:

Who said they would raid the ACC? There is another more SEC-like school located right in NC!!!
Man, you jumped off the Big East bandwagon pretty quickly, huh? 03-razz
02-18-2005 12:26 PM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

Murph, you have my word that ECU will not leave the BE if we are invited to the SEC. 03-wink
02-18-2005 02:50 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.