Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Improving Brand Recognition?
Bookmark and Share
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
Improving Brand Recognition?
I’m not a marketing guy, but I know you want people to know about your service or product and that is easier said than done.

I cannot remember when ASU has had its name in the news for so long and there is still a bowl game to go. One thing is for sure ASUs brand name recognition has already gone to another level, and if athletics is a good marketing tool for the total University, ASU must feel it has hit the mother lode.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 07:35 AM by Seminole Indian.)
12-15-2011 07:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cajunhawk Offline
Banned

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
RE: Improving Brand Recognition?
It's less brand recognition and more shock value. The entirety of college football was shocked Malzahn took the job, which paid less and is a SBC job. Once the shock value wears off it will die down. A lot.
12-15-2011 01:03 PM
Mean Green Matt Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
(12-15-2011 01:03 PM)cajunhawk Wrote:  It's less brand recognition and more shock value. The entirety of college football was shocked Malzahn took the job, which paid less and is a SBC job. Once the shock value wears off it will die down. A lot.

True, but a good marketing department (I have no idea whether ASU has a good one or bad one) would be able to keep the buzz going for a bit longer...as would continued success on the field. The current, natural buzz will wear off. It is up to ASU to keep it going.
12-15-2011 01:23 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
No news is bad news IMO

You can usually spin any news to benefit the univeristy
12-15-2011 01:29 PM
Mean Green Matt Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
(12-15-2011 01:29 PM)GaSouthern Wrote:  No news is bad news IMO

Tell that to Penn State.
12-15-2011 01:30 PM
SidJag Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USA Jags
Does the name, Kristi Malzahn ring a bell? Get to know her:

http://www.imagecpr.com/?p=10554
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 02:21 PM by SidJag.)
12-15-2011 02:15 PM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I think most of those YouTube videos of Kristi's rant have been pulled due to copyright infractions.
12-15-2011 02:42 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

You know what else would improve brand recognition.......
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 06:19 PM by AstroCajun.)
12-15-2011 06:19 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I finally got to see the Kristi Malzahn video before it got pulled again and am still scratching my head on why it generated so much hype.
12-15-2011 06:56 PM
dwinging_sick Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-15-2011 06:56 PM)HCJag Wrote:  I finally got to see the Kristi Malzahn video before it got pulled again and am still scratching my head on why it generated so much hype.

Oh I don't know. Maybe because she was doing a Q&A for a CHURCH!!! and was pissed her kids come home, thinks fans are lunatics, wants to bang Cam Newton (if she already hasn't), bashed her husbands school saying their defense was horrible, just to name a few. 04-jawdrop
12-15-2011 07:49 PM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-15-2011 06:19 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  You know what else would improve brand recognition.......

[Image: noooo1.gif]
12-15-2011 08:53 PM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Picked up on that right away, huh, dwingy?
12-15-2011 11:34 PM
BlueRaiderFan. Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
This will die down, but it is one more small step toward better perception.
12-16-2011 12:03 AM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Obviously it will die down. But Gus Malzahn is practically legendary in high school football in the state of Arkansas. He has also kicked ass everywhere he's been as an offensive coordinator - especially when he's been turned loose to do his thing.

This is a much bigger deal in Arkansas than it is regionally/nationally. And what stAte needs most is more credibility in the state of Arkansas to improve our fan base, as measured by donations and attendance. This REALLY helps legitimize us to the unwashed/average casual football fan in the state. While it is clearly the biggest hire in Sun Belt history - it takes on an even bigger significance inside our state.

Sure as hell hope Gus can keep the momentum Freeze generated this year - because his relationship with high school coaches in Arkansas could really help solidify recruiting and block La Tech, Tulsa, Southern Miss etc from coming into Arkansas and taking players that could help stAte.
12-16-2011 12:51 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
(12-15-2011 01:30 PM)Mean Green Matt Wrote:  
(12-15-2011 01:29 PM)GaSouthern Wrote:  No news is bad news IMO

Tell that to Penn State.

That should be easy spin.

"Penn State" fired and seperated themselves from the "bad" people. You do have a point and that is something that will tarnish their reputation for a long time to come.
12-16-2011 07:55 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-16-2011 12:51 AM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  Obviously it will die down. But Gus Malzahn is practically legendary in high school football in the state of Arkansas. He has also kicked ass everywhere he's been as an offensive coordinator - especially when he's been turned loose to do his thing.

This is a much bigger deal in Arkansas than it is regionally/nationally. And what stAte needs most is more credibility in the state of Arkansas to improve our fan base, as measured by donations and attendance. This REALLY helps legitimize us to the unwashed/average casual football fan in the state. While it is clearly the biggest hire in Sun Belt history - it takes on an even bigger significance inside our state.

Sure as hell hope Gus can keep the momentum Freeze generated this year - because his relationship with high school coaches in Arkansas could really help solidify recruiting and block La Tech, Tulsa, Southern Miss etc from coming into Arkansas and taking players that could help stAte.

While it MAY be the biggest hire in SBC history, it isn't as yet CLEARLY so. Right now if pretty much parallels UL's hire of Rickey Bustle from VT. Big time OC from successful school with phenomenal QB. I agree that it is clearly the biggest hire in ASU history, and will likely be a better hire than Bustle. Now, if you are talking financial impact, I totally agree. Most money by a WIDE margin ever paid to an incoming coach in the Conference, and setting a new bar for the entire conference in future hires.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2011 08:15 AM by Vobserver.)
12-16-2011 08:15 AM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(12-16-2011 08:15 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(12-16-2011 12:51 AM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  Obviously it will die down. But Gus Malzahn is practically legendary in high school football in the state of Arkansas. He has also kicked ass everywhere he's been as an offensive coordinator - especially when he's been turned loose to do his thing.

While it MAY be the biggest hire in SBC history, it isn't as yet CLEARLY so. Right now if pretty much parallels UL's hire of Rickey Bustle from VT. Big time OC from successful school with phenomenal QB. I agree that it is clearly the biggest hire in ASU history, and will likely be a better hire than Bustle. Now, if you are talking financial impact, I totally agree. Most money by a WIDE margin ever paid to an incoming coach in the Conference, and setting a new bar for the entire conference in future hires.

ASU has hired name coaches and created a buzz in the past but you have to live in Arkansas or in the Mid-South area to appreciate the difference.

Nope this is a game changer, and I agree totally with some outside the state who have stated that ASU just made themselves relevant because when Malzhan said his goal was to win championships and to regularly be ranked in the top 25, people believe he will do it. I think he will.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2011 08:58 AM by Seminole Indian.)
12-16-2011 08:53 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-16-2011 08:53 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  

ASU has hired name coaches and created a buzz in the past but you have to live in Arkansas or in the Mid-South area to appreciate the difference.

Nope this is a game changer, and I agree totally with some outside the state who have stated that ASU just made themselves relevant because when Malzhan said his goal was to win championships and to regularly be ranked in the top 25, people believe he will do it. I think he will.

And IF he does, your original post will be correct.
12-16-2011 09:52 AM
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM

The difference between Bustle and Malzahn is that Bustle stayed at one school (Va Tech) except for one year. Malzahn has won the SEC West with Arkansas (in spite of Nutt), created the #1 offense in the nation at Tulsa (#2 the following year), and then won a National Championship at Auburn out of the SEC. The thing is his offense was successful at two different schools in the toughest conference in college football. He turned Tulsa into a offensive powerhouse without the SEC moniker or money. Not knocking what Bustle did at Va Tech, but over the 90s, Tech was able to dominate recruiting in Virginia and land most of the top talent, especially in the the Hampton Roads area, which turns out several players heading to the NFL each year.

What Malzahn has been able to do, at 3 different schools, in such a short period of time, and the National Championship puts him on top as far as hires, IMO.

Now the question will be can he transition from being an Offensive Coordinator into being a Head Coach. The name alone is going to get him recruits. Should be an interesting couple of years.
12-16-2011 10:56 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-16-2011 10:56 AM)InjunJohn Wrote:  

The difference between Bustle and Malzahn is that Bustle stayed at one school (Va Tech) except for one year. Malzahn has won the SEC West with Arkansas (in spite of Nutt), created the #1 offense in the nation at Tulsa (#2 the following year), and then won a National Championship at Auburn out of the SEC. The thing is his offense was successful at two different schools in the toughest conference in college football. He turned Tulsa into a offensive powerhouse without the SEC moniker or money. Not knocking what Bustle did at Va Tech, but over the 90s, Tech was able to dominate recruiting in Virginia and land most of the top talent, especially in the the Hampton Roads area, which turns out several players heading to the NFL each year.

What Malzahn has been able to do, at 3 different schools, in such a short period of time, and the National Championship puts him on top as far as hires, IMO.

Now the question will be can he transition from being an Offensive Coordinator into being a Head Coach. The name alone is going to get him recruits. Should be an interesting couple of years.

John, I do not disagree with that at all. Still, until he wins as a head coach, he is an unproven commodity.
12-16-2011 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.