Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Impact of Malzahn
Bookmark and Share
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Impact of Malzahn
Just to give you guys an idea of how big this hire is in Arkansas . . . two Little Rock stations led off the 10 o'clock news (not the sports) with the hire. Normally they barely cover our games in the sports segment on Little Rock stations.

12-13-2011 11:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlueRaiderFan. Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
RE: Impact of Malzahn
Very cool...did he get a raise coming from AU or did you guys just match his salary?
12-14-2011 12:18 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(12-14-2011 12:18 AM)BlueRaiderFan. Wrote:  Very cool...did he get a raise coming from AU or did you guys just match his salary?

He was making 1.3 million at Auburn. He took a major cut to come back to his home state.
12-14-2011 12:19 AM
westcoastwolf Offline
Special Teams

Every single Northwest Arkansas station had at least 30 seconds on it. We struggle to get any coverage there.

Funny thing is that one station's sports report is called the "Razorback Report" and they had to segue after the razorback-themed intro segment to an ASU story.

Erin Andrews put something on her facebook about it and on her twitter. At last check, her facbeook had 500+ likes and 600 comments on that update alone.

The value of this coverage is way more than $800,000.

For ASU fans, this is INSANITY.
12-14-2011 12:24 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
This is a good thing for the Sun Belt.

Everyone needs to get their collective ducks in a row.

I just hope men's hoops (or baseball) doesn't suffer too much across the board.
12-14-2011 12:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrushMI Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
I think this makes big statement for the SBC in general. You can see all of the schools are making a huge commitment and this is a national name. It changes the perception from fans of all the non-AQs for sure. This only helps in getting better TV deals and bowl commitments.
12-14-2011 12:43 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I think we are in the middle of an arms race in the SBC sort of. UNT and FAU just built new stadiums. FAU just hired a nice name as coach. ASU UL and WKU just stepped up salaries for coaches big time and ASU just hired a national name as coach. FIU is still strong, and South Alabama is making strides

I think Troy and MTSU will make big moves soon to try and step up the game. ULM might be in trouble.
12-14-2011 12:45 AM
BlueRaiderFan. Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(12-14-2011 12:19 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(12-14-2011 12:18 AM)BlueRaiderFan. Wrote:  Very cool...did he get a raise coming from AU or did you guys just match his salary?

He was making 1.3 million at Auburn. He took a major cut to come back to his home state.

The lure of being an HC and possibly moving up to HC at an AQ school is big. Maybe you'll get "lucky" and get a coach that wants to build somethign and stay.
12-14-2011 01:26 AM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(12-14-2011 12:24 AM)westcoastwolf Wrote:  Every single Northwest Arkansas station had at least 30 seconds on it. We struggle to get any coverage there.

Funny thing is that one station's sports report is called the "Razorback Report" and they had to segue after the razorback-themed intro segment to an ASU story.

Erin Andrews put something on her facebook about it and on her twitter. At last check, her facbeook had 500+ likes and 600 comments on that update alone.

If you're a state fan though, I wouldn't encourage you to read those comments.
12-14-2011 01:27 AM
westcoastwolf Offline
Special Teams

(12-14-2011 01:27 AM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  
(12-14-2011 12:24 AM)westcoastwolf Wrote:  Every single Northwest Arkansas station had at least 30 seconds on it. We struggle to get any coverage there.

Nor the ESPN ones (closing on 1000).

It's got them talking about and watching ASU and that's a valuable asset if we produce on the field. Our message board had some insane statistics.
12-14-2011 01:56 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2011 01:27 AM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  

I would imagine the comments aren't much different than what we've said on our board. I don't know that I could walk away from a job making that much $$$....but I'm glad he can.
12-14-2011 03:08 AM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2011 12:45 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I think Troy and MTSU will make big moves soon to try and step up the game.

Troy has an awesome stadium, and MTSU is paying their coach a nice salary already.
12-14-2011 03:11 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
Really hard to think of anyone that would be a better hire for ASU. Hopefully he can put together a defensive staff close to the quality of Wommack & Company.
12-14-2011 06:50 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
Guys, honest statement/question here: Certainly there are some positive aspects to the Malzahn hire but I don't hear anything about the possible negative impact on the conference. I know that many may not see any downside here...that's okay as we caught up in the moment but as things settle down, what's ahead?

ASU is now stuck paying any future coach $800,000, or more, forever and ever. There is no going back. The money has to be found and it has to be constant, year after year. What happens if ASU football takes a step backwards (the fans get seriously upset) and Malzahn is fired or leaves. The next coach ain't settlin' for less, no matter what, and the salary demand could be a solid million by then. Wow.

Obviously, other schools in the SBC will have to rethink the pay of their coaches when contracts are up for renegotiation or renewal. Say what you want, ULM is not the only school here who has to deal with this and face the challenge of finding the funds. Several SBC schools could find themselves hurting here and that's the truth.

Salaries have to be increased for assistants, too. Malzahn's assistants aren't going to settle for $125,000 a year. ASU has to find that money from now until forever if they want to stay at a higher spot in the FBS world. If ASU can do it, then that's great. I really hope you can.

I just hope that a salary war among the schools in the SBC doesn't lead to its demise. The conference already has a good thing going and I hope we still can keep it up. Anyway, I'm trying to see the good and the bad here, and dare to bring up the possibility of the bad.
12-14-2011 07:09 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
This is a great hire for Astate. I don't know what it does for the Sunbelt in general but for Astate, It makes them look like a legit program. I'm not trying to take shots at Astate. This is just the first time a big named coach decided that Astate was a destination instead of a stepping stone. They will become the next Boise state.
12-14-2011 07:17 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2011 07:17 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  This is a great hire for Astate. I don't know what it does for the Sunbelt in general but for Astate, It makes them look like a legit program. I'm not trying to take shots at Astate. This is just the first time a big named coach decided that Astate was a destination instead of a stepping stone.

Brady?
12-14-2011 07:42 AM
Advertisement

zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-14-2011 07:09 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  Guys, honest statement/question here: Certainly there are some positive aspects to the Malzahn hire but I don't hear anything about the possible negative impact on the conference. I know that many may not see any downside here...that's okay as we caught up in the moment but as things settle down, what's ahead?

ASU is now stuck paying any future coach $800,000, or more, forever and ever. There is no going back. The money has to be found and it has to be constant, year after year. What happens if ASU football takes a step backwards (the fans get seriously upset) and Malzahn is fired or leaves. The next coach ain't settlin' for less, no matter what, and the salary demand could be a solid million by then. Wow.

Obviously, other schools in the SBC will have to rethink the pay of their coaches when contracts are up for renegotiation or renewal. Say what you want, ULM is not the only school here who has to deal with this and face the challenge of finding the funds. Several SBC schools could find themselves hurting here and that's the truth.

Salaries have to be increased for assistants, too. Malzahn's assistants aren't going to settle for $125,000 a year. ASU has to find that money from now until forever if they want to stay at a higher spot in the FBS world. If ASU can do it, then that's great. I really hope you can.

I just hope that a salary war among the schools in the SBC doesn't lead to its demise. The conference already has a good thing going and I hope we still can keep it up. Anyway, I'm trying to see the good and the bad here, and dare to bring up the possibility of the bad.

It may lead to the demise of a certain football program. But S. Al. steps up soon, so no great loss.

Z
12-14-2011 07:43 AM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-14-2011 07:42 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(12-14-2011 07:17 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  This is a great hire for Astate. I don't know what it does for the Sunbelt in general but for Astate, It makes them look like a legit program. I'm not trying to take shots at Astate. This is just the first time a big named coach decided that Astate was a destination instead of a stepping stone.

Brady?

Brady was looked upon as kind of a retread. IMHO.

Awesome football hire!! lets GET IT ON!!!

Z
12-14-2011 07:44 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2011 07:09 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  ASU is now stuck paying any future coach $800,000, or more, forever and ever. There is no going back. The money has to be found and it has to be constant, year after year. What happens if ASU football takes a step backwards (the fans get seriously upset) and Malzahn is fired or leaves. The next coach ain't settlin' for less, no matter what, and the salary demand could be a solid million by then. Wow.

Not necessarily.
Somehow, we managed to pickup a highly regarded and highest paid coordinator in the FBS. If the next hire is comparable to Malzahn, then yes, we would be paying high $$.

But with Freeze, we paid according to experience.
12-14-2011 07:46 AM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

SOT, no doubt there is risk in any effort to move forward. However, this is nothing but good news for stAte and Sun Belt football. Donors have stepped up for the money. Since the regular season has ended our two hires have been named Pelini and Malahn and the Cajuns have sold over 18,000 tickets to NO. Our little conference is showing signs of growing up.
12-14-2011 08:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.