Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Battletech
Bookmark and Share
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
Battletech
has anyone ever read any of the Battletech novels? the MechWarrior and MechAssault video games are based off the Battletech Universe.
12-01-2011 06:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
RE: Battletech
(12-01-2011 06:06 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  has anyone ever read any of the Battletech novels? the MechWarrior and MechAssault video games are based off the Battletech Universe.

Huge fan.

Really looking forward to the new Mechwarrior Online game coming out next year.

http://www.mwomercs.com
12-06-2011 10:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

you are? awesome Scott! so have you ever read the novels, or just played the video games? I used to play the table-top miniatures game, it's similar to Warhammer.
12-07-2011 11:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OwlFamily Offline

(12-07-2011 11:30 AM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  you are? awesome Scott! so have you ever read the novels, or just played the video games? I used to play the table-top miniatures game, it's similar to Warhammer.

Never did tabletop. Have the Blood of Kerensky Tirlogly and a couple of books here and there. Also have a few source books for House Steiner and others.

Most of my experience with it game thru VG's I started playing the MPBT:Solaris game on AOL way back in the day and then moved up thru MW2, MW3, MW4, MechCommander.
12-07-2011 11:58 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

oh cool. yeah the BoK trilogy is one of my favorite stories of all time. the Refusal War Trilogy that occures immediately after is also excellent. that one is the story of the war between the Jade Falcons and the Warden Wolves. Clan Wolf attacks Clan Jade Falcon to prevent them from resuming the invasion. they do this knowing it will decimate their own ranks, but the thinking is it will leave the Falcons too weak to attack the Inner Sphere.

have you read the Twilight of the Clans saga? it's I think 8 books long.
12-08-2011 11:54 AM
Advertisement

Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
I remember somehow I got a hold of Mechwarrior 3 and I couldn't quit playing it. It was such an awesome game but then I had to move again and I lost it lol.
12-11-2011 11:11 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

the story behind the games is wonderful Paul. it is massive in its scope and the writing is outstanding. Michael Stackpole does a lot of the books and he goes to great lengths to write with authority. much of the story is based around politics and Stackpole seems to have a very good grasp of all forms of it. Pick up the first Blood of Kerensky book and give it a read, I'm sure you'll love it. you can get it for cheap used on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lethal-Heritage-Ba...841&sr=1-1
12-11-2011 05:19 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I present to you, the map of the Battletech Universe. this is the "Inner Sphere," with Earth (aka Terra) at its center. everything beyond known space is consider outside the Inner Sphere and is unchartted nothingness.

[Image: innersphere3063.jpg]

this map shows the major powers, the minor periphery kingdoms, and the terrioty conquered by The Clans.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 05:34 PM by Burn the Horse.)
12-11-2011 05:25 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

Paul one aspect of the story I think you would find particularly interesting is the rise of the religious cult, The Word of Blake.

the known universe is able to communicate via ComStar, which is a powerful corporation (although they are so powerful I don't know if corporation is the right word for them, hell they have their own army known as the ComGuards) that controls interstellar communication. over time a somewhat religious belief structure came to be within the ranks of the organization revolving around the worship of technology itself as the religion. The Word of Blake is a core group of zealots who believe it is their duty to control everything and destroy all other religions as false. at a later point in the story's timeline, they begin a Jihad to destroy everyone who does not follow their beliefs of worshiping technology.

[Image: Untitled-1.png?1282179207]
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 05:47 PM by Burn the Horse.)
12-11-2011 05:37 PM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline

Long may the Fist of Steiner reign until Tharkrad is the seat of ultimate power in the Inner Shpere.

Long live the Archon!
12-12-2011 03:53 PM
OwlFamily Offline

Greg,

You should REALLY look into the new game coming out next year that I linked, they are going to have matches that contribute to taking over territories in the Inner Sphere.

(12-11-2011 05:25 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  I present to you, the map of the Battletech Universe. this is the "Inner Sphere," with Earth (aka Terra) at its center. everything beyond known space is consider outside the Inner Sphere and is unchartted nothingness.

this map shows the major powers, the minor periphery kingdoms, and the terrioty conquered by The Clans.
12-12-2011 03:54 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I'll have to do that Scott. I'm a die hard Battletech fan, it is my favorite science fiction genre. I really wish they'd turn the Blood of Kerensky trilogy in to a movie trilogy. Hollywood has run through everything else, time to turn Battletech in to a big screen hit!

(12-12-2011 03:53 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  Long may the Fist of Steiner reign until Tharkrad is the seat of ultimate power in the Inner Shpere.

Long live the Archon!

I'm a Clan Jade Falcon guy. Fear the Fury of Turkina! 05-mafia
[Image: Clanjadefalconbanner.jpg]

Aiden Pryde, Horse, and Joanna are my heros. 03-thumbsup

My wife likes the Wardens of Clan Wolf. she loves Phellan Kell. As for me, I'm a staunch Crusader...which is obvious, being that I'm a Jade Falcon fan.

I've written some fan fiction. I have a 300 page story based on an original character within the Falcons touman.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 08:54 PM by Burn the Horse.)
12-12-2011 07:10 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-11-2011 05:25 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  I present to you, the map of the Battletech Universe. this is the "Inner Sphere," with Earth (aka Terra) at its center. everything beyond known space is consider outside the Inner Sphere and is unchartted nothingness.

I saw this thread and thought we were making fun of Louisiana Tech again...
12-12-2011 11:11 PM
Advertisement

StillGotIt Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(12-12-2011 11:11 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Be careful of those sandtraps in the unchartered nothingness region.
12-12-2011 11:48 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

(12-12-2011 11:48 PM)StillGotIt Wrote:  Be careful of those sandtraps in the unchartered nothingness region.

this one made me laugh. 03-thumbsup
12-13-2011 08:24 AM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(12-12-2011 11:48 PM)StillGotIt Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 11:11 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Be careful of those sandtraps in the unchartered nothingness region.

Good stuff. lol
12-13-2011 11:57 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

BattleTech Eras
The BattleTech universe is a living, vibrant entity that grows each year as more games, sourcebooks, and fiction are published. A dynamic universe, its setting and characters evolve over time within a highly detailed continuity framework, bringing everything to life in a way a static game universe cannot match.

However, the same dynamic energy that makes BattleTech so compelling can also make it confusing, with so many sourcebooks, novels, games, and so on, published over the years. As people encounter BattleTech, get hooked and start to obtain various products, they need to know where a particular item is best used along the BattleTech timeline.

To help quickly and easily convey the timeline of the BattleTech universe—and to allow a player to easily “plug in” a given game, sourcebook, novel, and so on—we’ve divided BattleTech into six major eras.
.......................................................................................

STAR LEAGUE
(2005-2780)
Ian Cameron, ruler of the Terran Hegemony, concludes decades of tireless effort with the creation of the Star League, a political and military alliance between all Great Houses and the Hegemony. Star League armed forces immediately launch the Reunification War, forcing the Periphery realms to join. For the next two centuries, humanity experiences a golden age across the thousand light-years of human-occupied space known as the Inner Sphere. It also sees the creation of the most powerful military in human history.
SUCCESSION WARS
(2781-3049)
Every last member of First Lord Richard Cameron’s family is killed during a coup launched by Stefan Amaris. Following the thirteen-year war to unseat him, the rulers of each of the five Great Houses disband the Star League. General Aleksandr Kerensky departs with eighty percent of the Star League Defense Force beyond known space and the Inner Sphere collapses into centuries of warfare known as the Succession Wars that will eventually result in a massive loss of technology across most worlds.
CLAN INVASION
(3050-3061)
A mysterious invading force strikes the coreward region of the Inner Sphere. The invaders, called the Clans, are descendants of Kerensky’s SLDF troops, forged into a society dedicated to becoming the greatest fighting force in history. With vastly superior technology and warriors, the Clans conquer world after world. Eventually this outside threat will forge a new Star League, something hundreds of years of warfare failed to accomplish. In addition, the Clans will act as a catalyst for a technological renaissance.
CIVIL WAR
(3062-3067)
The Clan threat is eventually lessened with the complete destruction of a Clan. With that massive external threat apparently neutralized, internal conflicts explode around the Inner Sphere. House Liao conquers its former Commonality, the St. Ives Compact; a rebellion of military units belonging to House Kurita sparks a war with their powerful border enemy, Clan Ghost Bear; the fabulously powerful Federated Commonwealth of House Steiner and House Davion collapses into five long years of bitter civil war.
JIHAD
(3068-3080)
Following the Federated Commonwealth Civil War, the leaders of the Great Houses meet and disband the new Star League, declaring it a sham. The pseudo-religious Word of Blake—a splinter group of ComStar, the protectors and controllers of interstellar communication—launch the Jihad: an interstellar war that will ultimately pit every faction against each other and even against themselves, as weapons of mass destruction are used for the first time in centuries while new and frightening technologies are likewise unleashed.
DARK AGE
(3081+)
Under the guidance of Devlin Stone, the Republic of the Sphere is born at the heart of the Inner Sphere following the Jihad. One of the more extensive periods of peace begins to break out as the 32nd century dawns. The factions, to one degree or another, embrace disarmament and the massive armies of the Succession Wars begin to fade. However, in 3132 eighty percent of interstellar communications collapses, throwing the universe into chaos. Wars almost immediately erupt and the factions begin rebuilding their armies.
12-28-2011 08:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.