Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kruciff's Half Hour Heavy Metal Brutal Hour!
Bookmark and Share
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Kruciff's Half Hour Heavy Metal Brutal Hour!
I think more than a year is long enough to leave this (rather) successful thread by the wayside.

I've been wracking my brain for a unique genre to portray. So far, i've hit some of the more obscure brands, such as the technical death, progressive, doom... and so on. It dawned upon me that, while i've done black metal, I have NOT done SYMPHONIC black metal, which is something else entirely.

See, the things that exemplify black metal are a basic musical structure, a very... angry... tone, typically a song theme that would give even the most liberal religious person a heart attack... you know, the norm.

Symphonic, however, is musically complex (or, sometimes tedious?). It is a very difficult job indeed, combining punk elements with a full orchestra. Sometimes, it's ONLY similarity with it's father genre is the lyrical theme, which remain anti-theist, at it's very base.

Dimmu Borgir, formerly the quintessential Black Metal band, on par with Emperor and Venom (or at least in the same field) is now the figure-head for Symphonic Black Metal. This point is no more expounded than in their 2010 album "Abrahadabra", which is laden with the orchestral sounds of the Kringkastingsorkestret (the Norwegian Radio Orchestra). Somehow, this sound is a light and dark, heavy and light, the chaos within the peace. Somehow, it works.

Here's the 2nd and 3rd tracks from their album, respectively.

Definitely a unique sound imo. If you are interested, look up their "In Sorte Diaboli" album. Their recently fired clean vocalist adds another element to this fray.

-Kruciff
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 12:44 AM by Kruciff.)
11-10-2011 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

RE: Kruciff's Half Hour Heavy Metal Brutal Hour!
Technical Death - Meshuggah - Bleed (beginning)

Blackened Thrash - Skeletonwitch - Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery 11/17/2011

Stoner Doom - Electric Wizard - Satyr IX 11/22/2011

Black - Keep of Kalessin - Armada 12/06/2011

Thrash - Lazarus AD - Last Breath 01/05/2012

Epic Doom - Isole - Dark Clouds 02/29/2012

Progressive Death - Opeth - Blackwater Park

Mellow Acoustic - Opeth - Windowpane

Jazz Fusion... thing. - Opeth - The Devil's Orchard

Progressive Death - Opeth - Deliverance

Technical Death - Nile - The Eye of Ra

Technical Death - Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked

Technical Death - Nile - Winds of Horus

Technical Death - Nile - Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve it's Possessor from Who is in the Water

Technical Death - Nile - 4th Arra of Dagon (imo skip to 5:25 for the best part, but the buildup through the entire song is worth it)

Melodic Death - Children of Bodom - Towards Dead End

Classic Doom - Candlemass - Bewitched

Technical Progress

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 12:44 AM by Kruciff.)
11-17-2011 01:07 PM
knighthead1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
[Image: 67536d1206411567-animated-gif-thread-834...b32e9e.gif]
11-21-2011 10:25 PM
knighthead1 Offline
1st String

You know if all metal was instrumental, I would be one happy guy.
11-22-2011 12:30 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(11-22-2011 12:30 AM)knighthead1 Wrote:  You know if all metal was instrumental, I would be one happy guy.

There's quite a bit out there. And I am the same way. However, I'll give you some pointers as to how to enjoy any kind of metal (granted it's good metal that is) regardless of the vocals.

I've always thrown lyrics and singing to the wayside when it comes to music, it's mostly why I get bored of the radio, because it's obvious the entirety of the music centers around the lead singer, which is not the case in metal, where I feel it is a mix of all instruments involved, depending on the players (i.e. Tony Iommi, Lars Ulrich, Eddie Van Halen, etc etc). This tendency of mine came about because I find it difficult to think of the meaning behind the words and listen to them at the same time. Instruments are much easier to listen to.

To this effect, I assume all lead vocals to be instrumental sound, almost subconsciously. The lead singer tends to perform in harmony with the rhythm guitar in most good bands. If you assume all vocalists to be just another instrument it should help you out significantly.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 06:46 PM by Kruciff.)
11-22-2011 06:45 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
First off, special thanks to Kruciff for making this thread as well as for telling me about it. Thanks, man. 04-cheers

Now then, did anybody say DREAM THEATER? (Yes, I believe the link below is one of the best representations of their music. Enjoy!)

03-01-2012 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I see your dream theater, and raise you my favorite porcupine tree song. It's only the first of two (AND IT'S LIVE HOLY CRAP) so check out the follow up

[edit] listening to the dream theater now btw, naturally it's going to take a bit.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 06:47 PM by Kruciff.)
03-01-2012 06:41 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

Dream Theater, epic as usual. My only regret is that they lean greatly towards a contemporary rock flavor and not the actual metal genre.
03-01-2012 07:01 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
*bump* Oh, and Kruciff, I just thought I'd let you know that I'm currently listening to "The Crusade" by Trivium, a prog-metal band from central Florida. Cheers, my friend. 04-cheers
04-08-2012 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(04-08-2012 03:36 PM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  *bump* Oh, and Kruciff, I just thought I'd let you know that I'm currently listening to "The Crusade" by Trivium, a prog-metal band from central Florida. Cheers, my friend. 04-cheers

Ah yes, I know that song. Ironically, that's the only song I like from that band, mostly because I find the lead singer obnoxious =/

An instrumental song is always fun haha

I actually rowed for the Men's club team here at UCF on the lake outside of the High school they attended. It was an interesting coincidence.

Here's what I'm listening to right now

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2012 05:10 PM by Kruciff.)
04-08-2012 04:30 PM
Chevelle Offline
Bench Warmer

05-bump Kruciff!
10-05-2012 10:28 PM
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

Being a big metal-head, I have to make a contribution to this thread. My favorite metal band at the moment:

And the singer of Pain on Nuclear Blast Allstars, this song is so hardcore and awesome.

10-14-2012 10:05 AM
Delin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF & THFC
Let's see if I can dilute this pool of growling singers a little. (most the band that have been posted, I liked up to the moment that the singer started. I just don't like the growl that has gotten so big in many metal acts).

How about Sabaton?

Or Blind Guardian?

Or Classics like Gamma Ray or Helloween?

(My current work anthem)

I'm sure I'll add more later.
10-15-2012 01:29 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(10-14-2012 10:05 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  Being a big metal-head, I have to make a contribution to this thread. My favorite metal band at the moment:

And the singer of Pain on Nuclear Blast Allstars, this song is so hardcore and awesome.

These songs were interesting. Not normally my cup o' tea, but certainly a nice sound.

They remind me of the solo work from Candlemass's bassist, I believe. Leif Edling is his name, here's a song of his I like.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2012 01:56 PM by Kruciff.)
10-16-2012 01:56 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(10-15-2012 01:29 PM)Delin Wrote:  Let's see if I can dilute this pool of growling singers a little. (most the band that have been posted, I liked up to the moment that the singer started. I just don't like the growl that has gotten so big in many metal acts).

How about Sabaton?

Or Blind Guardian?

I really really liked that sabaton video. Very powerful song.

i'm not really a fan of Blind Guardian or Power Metal in general (the typical drum styles annoy me), but if I were to choose a favorite it would certainly be "Battlefield".

Have you checked out Rhapsody? They are known to sport guest vocals from none other than Christopher Lee.

As to the vocals part, I touched in a previous post, it's really just a perspective issue. If you can train yourself to listen to vocals as an instrument rather than a purveyor of lyrics, you should have an easier time.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2012 02:00 PM by Kruciff.)
10-16-2012 01:59 PM
Delin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF & THFC
(10-16-2012 01:59 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(10-15-2012 01:29 PM)Delin Wrote:  Let's see if I can dilute this pool of growling singers a little. (most the band that have been posted, I liked up to the moment that the singer started. I just don't like the growl that has gotten so big in many metal acts).

How about Sabaton?

Or Blind Guardian?

I really really liked that sabaton video. Very powerful song.

i'm not really a fan of Blind Guardian or Power Metal in general (the typical drum styles annoy me), but if I were to choose a favorite it would certainly be "Battlefield".

Have you checked out Rhapsody? They are known to sport guest vocals from none other than Christopher Lee.

As to the vocals part, I touched in a previous post, it's really just a perspective issue. If you can train yourself to listen to vocals as an instrument rather than a purveyor of lyrics, you should have an easier time.

I rather enjoy Rhapsody, just haven't listened to them too much recently. I just got Sabaton's most recent album, which is, in my opinion, their best, and one of my favorite albums. So I've mostly been listening to that.
10-16-2012 02:09 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

Bumped for new content! 05-bump
10-22-2012 12:08 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
not exactly Heavy, heavy metal... But this has a nice rift, w/ some Pittsburgh Hip Hop flavor mixed in between.

10-22-2012 07:27 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(10-22-2012 07:27 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  not exactly Heavy, heavy metal... But this has a nice rift, w/ some Pittsburgh Hip Hop flavor mixed in between.

Not gonna lie, that is the oddest assortment of music I have ever really come across. It definitely has a good vibe, and I love the bass work (my favorite bassist is Martin Mendez, from Opeth). The keyboardist kinda got annoying, but aside from that A+
10-22-2012 07:45 PM
knightmare2014 Offline
Water Engineer

Anybody like The Faceless?

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 07:29 PM by Kruciff.)
11-02-2012 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.