Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference outliers
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Conference outliers
These are distances form conference HQ's.

Big East: Boise - Providence, 2685mi, 2 time zone's
San Diego - Providence, 3067mi, 2 time zone's

PAC: Boulder - Walnut Creek, 1242mi, 1 time zone

XII: Morgantown - Irving, 1216mi, 1 time zone

ACC: Miami - Greensboro, 794mi, same time zone

SEC: College Station - Birmingham, 681mi, same time zone

B1G: State College - Park Ridge, 600mi, 1 time zone

Here are all the ACC schools distances from Greensboro.

Miami 794mi

Boston College 781mi

Syracuse 640mi

Florida State 550mi

Pittsburgh 428mi

Georgia Tech 332mi

Maryland 322mi

Clemson 219mi

Virginia 180mi

Virginia Tech 154mi

North Carolina State 81mi

Duke 54mi

North Carolina 47mi

Wake Forest 30mi
11-09-2011 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Conference outliers
For those who think the ACC is too spread out, here are actual driving distances (not straight line) for away games:

[Image: 35b6wdz.gif]

Yes, BC is a long way from Miami, but then, so is everything. Half of all possible Syracuse away games are less than 627 miles, and for Pitt that number is less than 457 miles. The shortest road trips of all belong to Duke who, on average, only travel 272 miles, and Virginia, whose median is only 266 miles.

I'll post SEC distances later. Maybe someone can work this out for the Big Ten?
11-11-2011 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

For comparison, here are distances to SEC away games:

[Image: 30hxa9w.gif]

Really these are comparable to ACC road trips.

average of all possibilities: SEC = 494 miles, ACC = 517
median of all possibilities: SEC = 462 miles, ACC = 470
average without 3 longest: SEC = 397 miles, ACC = 341

If anything, the SEC is more evenly spread out, while the ACC has 6 schools concentrated in NC & VA. Thus, all ACC teams are guaranteed 2 or 3 short road trips per year, whereas some SEC teams only get 1 or 2 short trips.

I would be interested in seeing this for Big Ten teams.
11-11-2011 09:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
As unpopular as it is with some of the ex-Big Easters, the North/South divide really is the way to go.
11-11-2011 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-11-2011 10:54 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  As unpopular as it is with some of the ex-Big Easters, the North/South divide really is the way to go.

For northern schools that would mean years without even playing a school from Florida. It's easy for me to say I want to keep the current arrangement -- one of Va Tech's biggest ACC rivals is Miami. Do you really think Maryland fans would get excited about a steady diet of BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, VT, and UVa (assuming that would be the North division)? I'm being serious -- what would "move the needle" for Terps football fans?
11-11-2011 12:03 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
(11-11-2011 12:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(11-11-2011 10:54 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  As unpopular as it is with some of the ex-Big Easters, the North/South divide really is the way to go.

For northern schools that would mean years without even playing a school from Florida. It's easy for me to say I want to keep the current arrangement -- one of Va Tech's biggest ACC rivals is Miami. Do you really think Maryland fans would get excited about a steady diet of BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, VT, and UVa (assuming that would be the North division)? I'm being serious -- what would "move the needle" for Terps football fans?

It depends on how optimistic Terp fans are about our future. One way to look as your question is, "Would fans rather have a chance against Wake, BC, et al. or get gutted by FSU and Miami?" For the next few years, I'll take the easier schedule. Besides, we might actually road trip to Pitt and Cuse to see a game. Tallahassee? Not so much.

Congrats on last night's win, by the way!
11-11-2011 12:36 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-11-2011 12:36 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  It depends on how optimistic Terp fans are about our future. One way to look as your question is, "Would fans rather have a chance against Wake, BC, et al. or get gutted by FSU and Miami?" For the next few years, I'll take the easier schedule. Besides, we might actually road trip to Pitt and Cuse to see a game. Tallahassee? Not so much.

Congrats on last night's win, by the way!
(2) Thanks! About time we won in Atlanta!

(1) I understand. Even so, I hope Terp fans can be optimistic. I'm old enough to remember the glory of the Bobby Ross era -- 3 consecutive ACC championships (83, 84, 85). I thought Friedgen was promising, but recruiting never really got up to par.

The strange thing is, in Maryland & DC there is more than enough h.s. talent every year to fill not only a good team but a national champion. consider: in 2010 & 2011 there was 1 *****, 12 ****, and 62 *** recruits. That could've been a very impressive roster!

The problem is, only 2 of the ****s and 10 of the ***s signed with the home team. I'm sure it's easier said than done, but if you can just keep the home-grown talent, you win!

Things look bleak this year, but this could turn around in a year or two... then people will really have to "fear the turtle".
11-11-2011 02:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.