UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Statement of Support from Faculty Senate
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
Statement of Support from Faculty Senate
"While acknowledging that the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees has the best interests of the State of Alabama at heart, is responsible for ensuring the fiscal soundness of the University of Alabama System and is responsible for the approval or otherwise of all construction projects within the University of Alabama System, the UAB Faculty Senate expresses its disappointment in the decision of the Board of Trustees to not proceed with further consideration of the proposal for the on-campus football stadium at UAB; further given the student, faculty and community support including support from the Birmingham business community, the UAB Faculty Senate urge the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees to reconsider this decision and to permit a full, open and public debate"
11-09-2011 04:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
RE: Statement of Support from Faculty Senate
GREAT!!!
11-09-2011 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Pretty good statement. It's concise and not divisive or confrontational, yet it essentially demands full disclosure and a public vote.
11-09-2011 04:42 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
The faculty is intelligent enough to know that this time it was the OCS that got pulled but next time it could be something that affects them academically.
Thank them every chance you get for speaking up and being on board.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FACULTY!

GO BLAZERS!!!
11-09-2011 04:45 PM
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

Excellent. Many thanks to the Faculty Senate.
11-09-2011 04:50 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

So the UAB faculty support this (statement above), the administration supports this (created the plan), the students support this (USGA vote and statement), the city/mayor supports this (statements in media), the business community supports this (statements in media) and the alumni support this(continuing to hammer away at the media).

Where is this lack of support they speak of?

Butts in the seats are just one element...and a distorted one at that after countless losing seasons and a coach we were saddled with by some on the BOT. The body of evidence, so to speak, paints a clear picture as to where UAB's level of support is for this project.
11-09-2011 04:50 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
This includes the east side of campus, right?

If so, this is significant, bordering on profound.
11-09-2011 04:51 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
That's the key--pressing a public discussion. We all know here that our admin would not have not brought this before the BOT without (a) a sound business plan and (b) the feeling that it had the votes.
11-09-2011 04:55 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Ok, some insight please.

Who makes up the Faculty Senate & what makes this very beneficial to the cause?

I know this is a positive, but I was wanting it spelled out for those of us who have been out of the loop for a while on how things work.
11-09-2011 05:00 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
The key point the opposition keeps driving home is attendance. Guys we need to show up for USM and take that away from them. Turn in into a positive. Look they went 1-9 and still averaged ***** ! Need USM fans to help out and show up.
11-09-2011 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The rub, as I understand it, as the east side (read: medical school) has historically been very jealous of any nickel spent on the west side(read: undergrad stuff).

I'm sure someone with a better sense of history will clarify and/or correct me on that.
11-09-2011 05:03 PM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(11-09-2011 04:50 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  So the UAB faculty support this (statement above), the administration supports this (created the plan), the students support this (USGA vote and statement), the city/mayor supports this (statements in media), the business community supports this (statements in media) and the alumni support this(continuing to hammer away at the media).

Butts in the seats are just one element...and a distorted one at that after countless losing seasons and a coach we were saddled with by some on the BOT. The body of evidence, so to speak, paints a clear picture as to where UAB's level of support is for this project.

I wonder if a statement of support from the Medical Alumni Association is possible?
11-09-2011 05:05 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
(11-09-2011 05:00 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Ok, some insight please.

Who makes up the Faculty Senate & what makes this very beneficial to the cause?

I know this is a positive, but I was wanting it spelled out for those of us who have been out of the loop for a while on how things work.

Don't know for sure at UAB but at my wife's university, the faculty senate is made up of 2 people (+1 alternate) from each department.
It may be a higher number per dept. at UAB, but I magine it is something like this.

What makes it important is, like a post up above, it dispells the myth that there is a "lack of support" for this project and coming from the academic arm it validates the premise that this is good for the whole university not just athletics.
11-09-2011 05:05 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
(11-09-2011 05:02 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  The key point the opposition keeps driving home is attendance. Guys we need to show up for USM and take that away from them. Turn in into a positive. Look they went 1-9 2-8 and still averaged ***** ! Need USM fans to help out and show up.
11-09-2011 05:06 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
It's time to make a push for over 30k. We need to break out the big guns...um...gun:

[Image: 275353185001_1011832201001_vs-1011810985...5353185001]
11-09-2011 05:07 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes, the faculty senate includes representation from both ends of campus.
11-09-2011 05:17 PM
Advertisement

Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
Several of the ranking faculty senators are from the medical school and research side. I am familiar with some of them. Thanks to each and every one.
11-09-2011 05:17 PM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

I'm pleasantly surprised they are in favor, but I shouldn't be.

Once the OCS is approved, how can anything on the academic side not be approved?
11-09-2011 05:35 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(11-09-2011 05:05 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(11-09-2011 04:50 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  So the UAB faculty support this (statement above), the administration supports this (created the plan), the students support this (USGA vote and statement), the city/mayor supports this (statements in media), the business community supports this (statements in media) and the alumni support this(continuing to hammer away at the media).

I wonder if a statement of support from the Medical Alumni Association is possible?

Doubt it
11-09-2011 05:43 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-09-2011 05:05 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

Considering a major faction of them believe themselves to be alumni of the University of Alabama and not UAB, I wouldn't even bring it up to them.
11-09-2011 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.