I Root For: UAB
Solomon is knocking our attendance again
11-06-2011 11:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Solomon is knocking our attendance again
He's right. Attendance should have been higher if we wanted to send a message.
11-06-2011 11:18 PM
kdblazer Offline
All American

Forget him we are 1-8 so what would you expect. If UAT had our record.....wait they wouldn't let it come to that because of the significant investments they have made in their program. If we are allowed to make significant investments in our program we wouldn't be at 1-8 either and we wouldn't tolerate it.
11-06-2011 11:22 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Of course it should have. But he is claiming the attendance figure is false, when he himself was in the bowels of Bryant-Denny examining Saban's stool samples.
11-06-2011 11:22 PM
Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
He is trolling his on article and looking for feedback and I gave it to him.
11-06-2011 11:35 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(11-06-2011 11:22 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  Forget him we are 1-8 so what would you expect. If UAT had our record.....wait they wouldn't let it come to that because of the significant investments they have made in their program. If we are allowed to make significant investments in our program we wouldn't be at 1-8 either and we wouldn't tolerate it.

When we are fighting for our lives, we're 1-8, it's too cold, I don't like the coach, #1 is playing #2, a Lawrence Welk Marathon is playing are all invalid excuses
11-06-2011 11:36 PM
Advertisement

CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

This is what I posted on AL.com in reply:

I think is kind of amazing that UAB was able to attract almost 14,000 people to watch them play Houston Thursday night. The choice for football fans was to either dress in warm clothing and go out to crappy Legion and watch BOT appointed bozo Neil Callaway coach the team he ran into the ground while they were slaughtered by nationally ranked Houston or to recline in comfort in their living rooms in front of their big screen TV's and watch the "Game of the Century". If UAB can attract 14K to its games under those circumstances and with that kind of completion, how many could a winning program attract to beautiful, safe and comfortable on campus stadium? You can't fault UAB for not attracting enough fans as long as the BOT is doing its best to destroy the program.
11-06-2011 11:50 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2011 11:36 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(11-06-2011 11:22 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  Forget him we are 1-8 so what would you expect. If UAT had our record.....wait they wouldn't let it come to that because of the significant investments they have made in their program. If we are allowed to make significant investments in our program we wouldn't be at 1-8 either and we wouldn't tolerate it.

When we are fighting for our lives, we're 1-8, it's too cold, I don't like the coach, #1 is playing #2, a Lawrence Welk Marathon is playing are all invalid excuses

Well, when the common wisdom on the street is that UAB is averaging 8,000, I think doubling that given all the things working against the program is pretty decent. What did you want, sell out Legion Field?
11-06-2011 11:52 PM
Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

PBJ has his own propaganda minister, and his name is Jon Solomon.
11-06-2011 11:55 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

No I don't think we need to sell out Legion Field, smart ass. But 20,000 is something we need to have if anyone is going to take us seriously. No matter what the excuses, we can blitz all the media members, board of trustees and political figures we want. They will look at attendance figures and say the BOT is right. If we want a stadium, we are going to have to prove them wrong. Fancy videos, well written emails and catchy hashtags won't do it. Butts in the seats will.

We have one chance left. On a Thursday night against USM.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 12:08 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
11-07-2011 12:04 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(11-06-2011 11:22 PM)58-56 Wrote:  Of course it should have. But he is claiming the attendance figure is false, when he himself was in the bowels of Bryant-Denny examining Saban's stool samples.
03-lmfao
Knowing him, he was probably eating them. There may some exceptions to the rule at the Birmingham News. This guy isn't one of them. Damn his observation. Irvine says this, I'm sitting up taking notice, but not this jabroni.
11-07-2011 12:10 AM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

When they say there's less than 8,000 people in the stands, and its demonstrably false, I don't think having an attendance of 20,000 or 100,000 is going to change the argument. They'll just say you're cooking the books and at 1-8 why would why invest in such a bad team blah blah blah blah. I'm not saying attendance was earth shattering, but it blew my expectations out of the water, and any neutral observer had to be impressed with the number.
11-07-2011 12:10 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Just wait until they see the attendance at some other events, leading up until and including February.
11-07-2011 12:14 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(11-07-2011 12:10 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  When they say there's less than 8,000 people in the stands, and its demonstrably false, I don't think having an attendance of 20,000 or 100,000 is going to change the argument. They'll just say you're cooking the books and at 1-8 why would why invest in such a bad team blah blah blah blah. I'm not saying attendance was earth shattering, but it blew my expectations out of the water, and any neutral observer had to be impressed with the number.

Bingo. Soloman is a simple minded twit with a pulpit. I encourage people to comment accordingly.
11-07-2011 12:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Fine. Everyone keep attacking those who say our attendance is bad, while we have our heads in the sand saying "Look we doubled it."

A better approach would be "Yes we know its bad. Here's why."
11-07-2011 12:30 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Edited: 1, 2, 3, 4, Now I feel better. Cary on.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 12:53 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
11-07-2011 12:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

Based on our average attendance, we are not far off when you consider a fall off for us is already amplified by public perception of low attendance by our fans.
But for a comparison that school in PBJ town seats 100,000, our attendance would be less then a 40% drop off on our average, while a similar drop off in PBJ town would and have resulted in the firings of the coach his staff and the AD but not finger pointing at fans.
We are held to a different standard, we know it, the Trustees know it, and Solomon know attendance is a sign of a losing program and a losing program is a sign of bad coaching, the only exception apparently is when it comes to UAB football.
I will not buy into the perception that a lack of fan support equals no interest in Football because in UAB's case its not true.

I attend UAB football game because I grew up supporting UAB basketball and then all things UAB sports related.
The casual fans, those who are Alabama and Auburn fans who have gone to game with me for years, no longer are going with me.
Its not because of the fans, its the product on the field, they don't want to see losing football, yes they were fair weather fans, but fair weather fans are casual fans and fans of other programs, they came to see Hack, they came to see Roddy, they came to see Joe they came to see the Shield they came to see UAB football and we had a chance to make them less casual, but saddle with this coach and now this screwing with the OCS, well you get it.
So in my opinion, its not all about attendance we all know that, so lets not let Jon Solomon get us at eachother throat, lets keep our eyes on the prize.
11-07-2011 12:41 AM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
(11-07-2011 12:30 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Fine. Everyone keep attacking those who say our attendance is bad, while we have our heads in the sand saying "Look we doubled it."

A better approach would be "Yes we know its bad. Here's why."

MB is right. We just need more people to show up.
11-07-2011 01:01 AM
BirminghamBound Offline
Special Teams

Solomon's point is right. There should have been more fans.

Solomon's motivation to point it out is what's wrong.

If my boss forces me to work in unsafe conditions and I get injured, I shouldn't be made to walk on a broken hip to prove I deserve workers comp.

Similarly, UAB was forced into this situation.

Solomon's point is a red herring. A distraction.

Focus on the task at hand. Focus on the REAL enemy.
11-07-2011 03:44 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(11-06-2011 11:50 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  This is what I posted on AL.com in reply:

I think is kind of amazing that UAB was able to attract almost 14,000 people to watch them play Houston Thursday night. The choice for football fans was to either dress in warm clothing and go out to crappy Legion and watch BOT appointed bozo Neil Callaway coach the team he ran into the ground while they were slaughtered by nationally ranked Houston or to recline in comfort in their living rooms in front of their big screen TV's and watch the "Game of the Century". If UAB can attract 14K to its games under those circumstances and with that kind of completion, how many could a winning program attract to beautiful, safe and comfortable on campus stadium? You can't fault UAB for not attracting enough fans as long as the BOT is doing its best to destroy the program.
while i dont think this response will be accepted by the morons with crimson colored glasses, i think its a very good response
11-07-2011 07:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.