Official Presidential Prediction Thread
Bookmark and Share
ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
Official Presidential Prediction Thread
Ok expert odds makers, let's hear it.
10-28-2011 05:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

RE: Official Presidential Prediction Thread
Dr. Noland.
10-28-2011 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucs77 Offline
Special Teams

Dr. Frank
10-28-2011 08:02 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
(10-28-2011 05:41 PM)ReturnOfMommaBear Wrote:  Ok expert odds makers, let's hear it.

Stanton changes his mind again and stays another 10 years.
10-28-2011 08:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsubuc Offline
All American

I hope Frank; I think Noland
10-28-2011 09:17 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Noland or Frank, virtual dead heat. I didn't expect to like Noland, even stated that on here. I liked him a lot. I was unimpressed with Patterson-Randles. I can't imagine them gong with her. Tough call between the two. I think Noland will be a breath of fresh air - I would expect an open door policy, since he said he would run the university that way. That would be a nice change. I think faculty will take awhile to get behind him because of his lack of qualifications.

Football became a central issue. Really, I see 3 major things this President will have to do in their tenure: Significantly increase salaries, find a way to get a Performing Arts Center built, and start up a football team. All big dollar items. Where the money will come from, not sure. All the legislators were all about football - can they help out?
10-29-2011 08:48 AM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2011 08:48 AM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Noland or Frank, virtual dead heat. I didn't expect to like Noland, even stated that on here. I liked him a lot. I was unimpressed with Patterson-Randles. I can't imagine them gong with her. Tough call between the two. I think Noland will be a breath of fresh air - I would expect an open door policy, since he said he would run the university that way. That would be a nice change. I think faculty will take awhile to get behind him because of his lack of qualifications.

Football became a central issue. Really, I see 3 major things this President will have to do in their tenure: Significantly increase salaries, find a way to get a Performing Arts Center built, and start up a football team. All big dollar items. Where the money will come from, not sure. All the legislators were all about football - can they help out?

Go I agree with your opinion. I think that Dr. Noland is a dynamic "political" leader and will be able to get the money to accomplish those three big goals. I like his connections.
10-29-2011 09:40 AM
2nd String

(10-29-2011 08:48 AM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Noland or Frank, virtual dead heat. I didn't expect to like Noland, even stated that on here. I liked him a lot. I was unimpressed with Patterson-Randles. I can't imagine them gong with her. Tough call between the two. I think Noland will be a breath of fresh air - I would expect an open door policy, since he said he would run the university that way. That would be a nice change. I think faculty will take awhile to get behind him because of his lack of qualifications.

Agreed 100% on all your points, even the not wanting to like Noland part.

How can a candidate NOT see that football is a critical issue, it's slapping them in the face. The key is to make sure that they are exposed to all the sides of the issue and the history of the issue, not just the Wayne Andrew's Talking Points.

Here's what Noland does bring in terms of the political aspects that I think Frank will be afraid to deal with, he's so well connected that his ties could really help to force some changes in the thinking in Nashville. He could jump all over that "ban" on state appropriations of dual use facilities for academics and athletics and get not only a basketball facility, but a football stadium.

Todd Stansbury's original "Master Facilties Plan" had a "Complex" that consisted of basketball/football and with the right tweaking, you could add academics for many different disciplines ranging from the

broadcast majors,

management/business administration in terms of intern programs running the management of concessions/hospitality/merchandizing,

sport management people doing everything from event planning and management to game administration,

Sports medicine students working with every aspect of the athletic training.

You could even have involvement from the ground up with the Construction Technology and management area; interior design students could design the luxury suites, students working with safety codes and sustainability issues

The list could go on and on. The same could be said for the Performing Arts Facility. You just have to have a willingness of the faculty to see Atheltics as the true learning environment that it's meant to be. Gosh, that gets me so exicted!
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011 10:11 AM by ReturnOfMommaBear.)
10-29-2011 10:07 AM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(10-29-2011 10:07 AM)ReturnOfMommaBear Wrote:  

How can a candidate NOT see that football is a critical issue, it's slapping them in the face. The key is to make sure that they are exposed to all the sides of the issue and the history of the issue, not just the Wayne Andrew's Talking Points.

Here's what Noland does bring in terms of the political aspects that I think Frank will be afraid to deal with, he's so well connected that his ties could really help to force some changes in the thinking in Nashville. He could jump all over that "ban" on state appropriations of dual use facilities for academics and athletics and get not only a basketball facility, but a football stadium.

Todd Stansbury's original "Master Facilties Plan" had a "Complex" that consisted of basketball/football and with the right tweaking, you could add academics for many different disciplines ranging from the

broadcast majors,

management/business administration in terms of intern programs running the management of concessions/hospitality/merchandizing,

sport management people doing everything from event planning and management to game administration,

You could even have involvement from the ground up with the Construction Technology and management area; interior design students could design the luxury suites, students working with safety codes and sustainability issues

The list could go on and on. The same could be said for the Performing Arts Facility. You just have to have a willingness of the faculty to see Atheltics as the true learning environment that it's meant to be. Gosh, that gets me so exicted!

What is the timeline on all this? When will we know who the new prez is going to be?
10-30-2011 07:18 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2011 07:18 PM)abuc90 Wrote:  
(10-29-2011 10:07 AM)ReturnOfMommaBear Wrote:  

broadcast majors,

What is the timeline on all this? When will we know who the new prez is going to be?

The JC Press reported in today's paper that the new president would be known by mid-November.
10-30-2011 07:31 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

And this is that article:

JC Press's summary of the finalists

You know, there are some very interesting nuggets there in both Frank's and Noland's comments. They both could probably help us, in different ways. Noland, I think, would be more proactive towards football, but not to a fault. Frank would try and 'right the ship' in many ways, but would cause a fair amount of collateral damage, shall we say. There likely would be some who would be asked to walk the plank.
Frank has a better overall profile and knowledge base, methinks.
Is Noland still just a tad shy of 'seasoned' enough? John Morgan will have to decide how all that weighs out....

That being said, how much do you all about Morgan? Did you know he was Deputy Governor before Chancellor. And state comptroller before that? That he only has a B.S. (I think) (from Peay)? That the TBR re-wrote the job description to fit him, omitting the previous requirement of an earned doctorate? That he was suspiciously(?) the only person interviewed for the job, despite efforts of the Senate Education Committee to expand the search?

Read more:

Morgan's "appointment" to Chancellor

Hey, I don't know him, so I'm not trying to say he's not good at his job. I've just been aware of the political wranglings concerning him for a while, and just wanted to let you all know some of it......
10-31-2011 12:49 AM
Advertisement

2nd String

(10-31-2011 12:49 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  And this is that article:

JC Press's summary of the finalists

You know, there are some very interesting nuggets there in both Frank's and Noland's comments. They both could probably help us, in different ways. Noland, I think, would be more proactive towards football, but not to a fault. Frank would try and 'right the ship' in many ways, but would cause a fair amount of collateral damage, shall we say. There likely would be some who would be asked to walk the plank.
Frank has a better overall profile and knowledge base, methinks.
Is Noland still just a tad shy of 'seasoned' enough? John Morgan will have to decide how all that weighs out....

That being said, how much do you all about Morgan? Did you know he was Deputy Governor before Chancellor. And state comptroller before that? That he only has a B.S. (I think) (from Peay)? That the TBR re-wrote the job description to fit him, omitting the previous requirement of an earned doctorate? That he was suspiciously(?) the only person interviewed for the job, despite efforts of the Senate Education Committee to expand the search?

Read more:

Morgan's "appointment" to Chancellor

Hey, I don't know him, so I'm not trying to say he's not good at his job. I've just been aware of the political wranglings concerning him for a while, and just wanted to let you all know some of it......

I didn't follow the TBR changes as closely as I should have but I'd heard there was serious political tangles going on and Morgan was not qualified to "lead" higher education. My TBR freinds were freaking out! At dinner one night, a community college friend who is a President's council member said he feared the worst. The whole Complete College concept is going to drive us all a little crazy, the data for degree completion and these new metrics they have are not close to each other. Obviously Dr. Patterson-Randals and her "explore, take an interesting class, see what your options are" discussion with students would not be feasible under these new timelines (much like the milestones that the NCAA imposes, very little room for error or change).

So with that said, do you 'doubt' that Noland won't be the next President? I see his appointment as nothing less than comparable to Morgan's accent to the TBR, but at least Noland has the academic letters beside his name. I think the decision has been made and all this is just smoke and mirrors, I could be wrong.

I personally liked both Frank and Noland but for really differnt reasons.

Pretty exciting times, one way or another!! We are booming over on the Facebook page, 934 "likes" as of this morning, up from 820 two weeks ago! I "like" that trend. Pushing for 1000 so we can have our Virtual Pizza Party!
10-31-2011 08:10 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
I like both Frank and Noland. I do believe for both of these two, this job is going to be used as a catapult to a bigger job. I think they'll come in, 8-10 years of hardcore upgrading at the university, then whoever it is will ease on to a top level national state university.
That said, knowing ETSU's approach to things they'll probably go for the female.
11-01-2011 08:20 AM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Hey Lover,
One quick note: ETSU doesn't make this decision. The Board of Regents & Chancellor makes the decision. Everyone has weighed in here, it's out of ETSU's hands.
11-01-2011 01:47 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2011 01:47 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Hey Lover,
One quick note: ETSU doesn't make this decision. The Board of Regents & Chancellor makes the decision. Everyone has weighed in here, it's out of ETSU's hands.

That is encouraging! The less the current administration has to do with it the better.
11-01-2011 02:12 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(11-01-2011 02:12 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

That is encouraging! The less the current administration has to do with it the better.

Agreed. What is the probability that Dave remains AD under a new president? Any inside info?
11-01-2011 03:50 PM
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
(11-01-2011 03:50 PM)abuc90 Wrote:  

Agreed. What is the probability that Dave remains AD under a new president? Any inside info?

100%...why would he/she change AD's? Is there a problem? Teams not performing? Grades? Trouble makers? Loss of institutional control? Nope...
11-02-2011 07:56 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2011 07:56 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  

100%...why would he/she change AD's? Is there a problem? Teams not performing? Grades? Trouble makers? Loss of institutional control? Nope...

Because AD is spending tons of money on meaningless minor sports and reputation of ETSU keeps going down. Spending more money on minor sports is not the answer. The answer is new AD and new priorities.
11-02-2011 08:14 AM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
There's no reason @ all to change ADs, of course. I would say if the new Prez wants to bring back football, Dave will be right in the middle of bringing it back as long as it has the proper support. I was a bit encouraged that it will have the proper support after the Presidential search, but proof is in the pudding, so to speak. So we'll see.
11-02-2011 08:17 AM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
(11-02-2011 08:14 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(11-02-2011 07:56 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  

Because AD is spending tons of money on meaningless minor sports and reputation of ETSU keeps going down. Spending more money on minor sports is not the answer. The answer is new AD and new priorities.

i know this is pointless, esp. with 81, but here we go. SO...we should spend "tons of money" on a meaningless football team that plays in the, all but invisible, FBS? That is a minor sport dude. ETSU football has always been minor, both in stature, attendance and in funding/support. Dave's biggest problem is that mens bball did not take the torch and run with it. If they had, etsu would have national recognition (like Blemont currently), we would have an new arena and football would have been long forgotten by now. Murray stood by his "win 20 games" mantra and that has failed given the conference we play in. Win 20 in the SEC, pretty good. Win 20 in the ASUN....uh....not so much.

Now before i get blasted, when i say football is "minor" or "meaningless" that only relates to the areas that i mentioned, not for the univ., for the athletes, for the band, etc.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 09:01 AM by slappywhite.)
11-02-2011 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.