Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Orlando Sentinel Bowl News
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Others awaiting Cap One's bowl deal
Orlando's New Year's Day game dictates who some bowls can possibly invite to their events.
By Alan Schmadtke
Sentinel Staff Writer

June 8, 2005

Tom Mickle and Loren Matthews are the two people getting served at post office windows just ahead of you.

They're the ones at the grocery store who need price checks.

And just as you're ready to pay for that gum and soda, they're buying Lotto tickets, gobs of them.

Everyone is waiting on them.

College football bowl directors across America are hopeful that Mickle, Orlando's bowl pitchman, and Matthews, ABC's chief college sports negotiator, finally can agree this week to terms of future Capital One Bowl games.

Bowl organizers beyond Orlando are ready to strike their own deals. "But we're all waiting on the Capital One," Gator Bowl President Rick Catlett said.

"I'm getting calls from bowl directors all over the country, bowl organizers and commissioners," Mickle said. " 'What's going on? What's new? How do you stand?' I don't know what'll happen."

Mickle, executive director of Florida Citrus Sports, which puts on the Capital One and Champs Sports bowls, meets with Matthews and others at ABC today in New York. The framework of a deal already is in place: first pick of the Southeastern Conference's non-BCS teams to play the first pick of the Big Ten's non-Rose Bowl or BCS teams.

What's left are two important points. How much is ABC willing to pay for a slightly more diluted game? And how much does FCSports want to give up so it can keep a window of SEC-vs.-Big Ten exclusivity in place?

With the BCS creating two extra spots, watering down the bowl market for every game below its five games starting in 2006, ABC might not want to give FCSports what it has been. If not, the Capital One's per-team payout of $5.25 million is expected to shrink to about $4.5 million.

Mickle has acknowledged it makes little sense to pay higher prices to conferences when the BCS could absorb one or two teams that otherwise might be in his game.

And yet, he said, "We think the value's still there for our game. We don't anticipate our payout dropping."

Matthews did not respond to questions relayed through an ABC spokesperson.

ABC has until the end of June before its exclusive negotiating window with FCSports expires, but bowl officials are hearing a deal may be imminent.

If so, it triggers a new set of talks between TV partners and a slew of other bowls, starting with the Gator, Cotton, Alamo, Outback and Peach.

"All of us are talking to our partners right now, saying here's what we're hearing and doing, but you can't really negotiate until you know what teams you might have access to," Alamo Bowl Executive Director Derrick S. Fox said.

Orlando's next deal, expected to detail four games (from Jan. 1, 2007 through Jan. 1, 2010), impacts the Gator, Cotton, Outback and Alamo bowls. The Cotton and Outback are directly affected by FCSports' exclusivity clause with the SEC and Big Ten.

The clause gives the Orlando bowl non-compete rights against any bowls with SEC or Big Ten teams.

Over the years, it has meant pre-noon kickoff times for the Cotton (10 a.m. in Dallas) and Outback (11 a.m.).

The agreement effectively prevented the Gator from landing an SEC team in prior bowl talks. If the clause remains in place, it will block the Gator from securing an SEC or Big Ten team this time, too, for the Gator is committed to staying on New Year's Day, Catlett said.

At this point, the Alamo is indirectly affected. Gator officials are talking to the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 as possible replacements for the Big East/Notre Dame alliance. Catlett said he already has a handshake agreement to have an Atlantic Coast Conference non-champion as its host team.

If the SEC and Big Ten aren't in play for the Gator, Jacksonville's Jan. 1 game becomes a competitor for a Big 12 team -- a pool in which the Alamo has swum successfully.

The Cotton, Gator and Holiday bowls have discussed a sharing arrangement for Big 12 teams, but similar talks among other bowls and other conferences have progressed only so far.

"Everybody would love to have flexibility," Fox said. "The logistics is where the rubber meets the road. You have multiple conferences and teams and bowls, all different sets of needs for tickets and travel and hotels. There's a lot of moving parts, and it becomes challenging. That's why you haven't seen it."

Behind the bowl curtain, several issues are being sorted out. Such as:

ACC protection. Wary of worst-case-scenarios playing out elsewhere -- conference title game losers tumbling too far -- ACC Commissioner John Swofford wants assurances the ACC Championship Game loser won't fall beyond a certain point. Logic says that point is Charlotte, given the city's proximity to the core of the league, but it's not that simple. Unless it can move ahead of the Gator, Peach or Champs Sports, Charlotte will be No. 5 in line, a potential ego-busting spot for a division winner.

A Big East landing. Commissioner Mike Tranghese is earning his money. Tranghese is working hard to keep Notre Dame part of the league's postseason mix, and he also may need to find a new home for his runner-up if the Gator turns elsewhere. In that event, the Big East is left with another set of eastern options: Meineke Car Care (Charlotte), Liberty and Music City.

Lease and other talks in Jacksonville. The Gator needs a new lease to play in Alltel Stadium after the 2006 game and has proposed a 10-year agreement. More pressing, though, is sorting through in-stadium signage issues. Jacksonville's agreement with the NFL's Jaguars gives the club control of signage even for non-NFL events, a deal that could hurt the Gator's ability to jump its payout above the current $1.9 million. Catlett said the bowl needs to hike the payout to at least $2.25 million to stay competitive.

Alan Schmadtke can be reached at aschmadtke@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright 2005, Orlando Sentinel | Get home delivery - up to 50% off

<a href='http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sptbowls08060805jun08,0,6291428.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines' target='_blank'>Orlando Sentinel Bowl News Rumblings</a>
06-08-2005 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote: Big East landing. Commissioner Mike Tranghese is earning his money. Tranghese is working hard to keep Notre Dame part of the league's postseason mix, and he also may need to find a new home for his runner-up if the Gator turns elsewhere. In that event, the Big East is left with another set of eastern options: Meineke Car Care (Charlotte), Liberty and Music City.

-- I think our bowl situation is turning out nicely.... aligning with the Champs Sports, keeping the Meineke bowl ,and it would be GREAT to get the Music City back

Jackson
06-08-2005 01:17 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Agreed Jackson,

The bowl situation looks promising for the Big East
06-08-2005 01:52 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

I'm not convinced yet that the Gator Bowl is gone. The Gator Bowl folks will have to think long and hard to take their game off Jan 1st if the Capital Bowl still retains that non-competition clause.

BTW, I went to the Insight.com bowl in 2001. It was a great time. I know most fans can't drive to it but if the USAir/AmericaWest merger goes through we should be able to get cheap flights from the east coast.
06-08-2005 02:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

The more I here we are in talks with the muscic city bowl the more fired up I get.....bowl game in Nashville against the SEC...that is a destination and conference opponet made for UL and WVU fans...I know a lot of WVU fans were bummed out when that bowl dropped the BE during the last round of negotations

Jackson
06-08-2005 02:25 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

Jackson1011 Wrote:The more I here we are in talks with the muscic city bowl the more fired up I get.....bowl game in Nashville against the SEC...that is a destination and conference opponet made for UL and WVU fans...I know a lot of WVU fans were bummed out when that bowl dropped the BE during the last round of negotations

Jackson
I was at the Music City Bowl in 1999. We had great weather. But--Nashville can be dicey weather wise--I would prefer a bowl further South. I'd love to Have the BCS, Gator, Champs, Tire and Insight.
06-08-2005 02:35 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

What are the odds of the Big East retaining the Gator, and adding the Champs Bowl? Will Champs require the #2 Big East team?

How about this for a bowl line-up? Is this even possible?

BCS (Big East #1)
Gator (Big East #2)
Champs (Big East #3)
Meineke (Big East #4)
Music City/Insight (Big East #5)
06-08-2005 02:55 PM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

TexanMark Wrote:I'm not convinced yet that the Gator Bowl is gone. The Gator Bowl folks will have to think long and hard to take their game off Jan 1st if the Capital Bowl still retains that non-competition clause.

BTW, I went to the Insight.com bowl in 2001. It was a great time. I know most fans can't drive to it but if the USAir/AmericaWest merger goes through we should be able to get cheap flights from the east coast.
My feelings on the matter are screw the Gator. I know its kind of self serving, cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face vindictiveness but their knee jerk reaction in this situation has been really short sighted and earns them a worst case scenario imo. The second place BE team or freaking Notre Dame will most years be a strong, strong representative for their bowl. Here they are looking at getting bumped from New Years Day or in a sharing scenario for a Big 12 team with a coalition of other 2nd tier bowls, what they'll do in their off years I have no idea. Meanwhile I think whichever bowl picks up the ND/BE#2 will be extremely happy with their relationship.

On another note Nashville has to see Louisville and WVU as massive +'s. I don't think I'm over exaggerating to say Louisville would take 30,000+ with ease to Nashville.
06-08-2005 02:56 PM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

Gator bowl has to be bluffing, B-E can offer Liberty bowl B-E #2or3 & ND. Mienke & Insight are nice options 3&4. B-E wants Champs bowl #5.
06-09-2005 03:44 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:My feelings on the matter are screw the Gator. I know its kind of self serving, cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face vindictiveness but their knee jerk reaction in this situation has been really short sighted and earns them a worst case scenario imo. The second place BE team or freaking Notre Dame will most years be a strong, strong representative for their bowl. Here they are looking at getting bumped from New Years Day or in a sharing scenario for a Big 12 team with a coalition of other 2nd tier bowls, what they'll do in their off years I have no idea. Meanwhile I think whichever bowl picks up the ND/BE#2 will be extremely happy with their relationship.

-- The gator bowl has to be concerned with attendance above all else....remember Jacksonville is now the home of the ACC championhip game so it is possible that UVA for example could be in Jackonville in Dec, lose and then have to go back to the Gator Bowl a month later for a bowl....Such a scenario would of course lower attendance on UVAs end

-- In the later yrs of the BE...it seemed VT, WVU or ND went to the Gator bowl every year...if we manage to keep the bowl just sub in Louisville for VT and it will probably be business as usual....I think what they are afraid of is what happend if say ND and UL are in a BCS game and WVU is 5-6....who are they going to invite that will fill the staduim from our end? The wost case scenario for the gator is if say Pitt ( solid football school but one that has very poor traveling fans) is matched up with the ACC runner up who's fans were just in Jacksonville a couplw weeks ago

-- I hate to admit it...but Neberaska or Kanasa St would bring more fans to the Gator bowl then most BE football schools

Quote:BCS (Big East #1)
Gator (Big East #2)
Champs (Big East #3)
Meineke (Big East #4)
Music City/Insight (Big East #5)

-- That would be ideal....but I'm not sure it can happen.....the Meineke bowl has said that it wants the BE #3 in order to renew there contract with us....and you will probably see a Florida bowl being home to our #2....probably the Champs Bowl

I still see it breaking down this way right now:
BCS
Champs Bowl
Meineke Bowl
Music City/Insight (great deal if we could get that one down)
Toronto Bowl

Jackson
06-09-2005 08:26 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

Nashville would be great for Cincy as well..... 4 1/2 hrs...UC took 10,000 both times we were invited to Detroit for the Motor City Bowl which is the same distance.. ..The big negative is the fact its outdoors just like the Liberty...It can be very cold and nasty...
As long as the bowl games are after XMAs UC can deliver the attendance.. The bad numbers came when we were invited less than 10 days before a weeknight week before Xmas game etc.
06-09-2005 08:37 AM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

What's all this talk about the Champs Sports Bowl? Did I miss something? Have they officially aligned with the Big East?
06-09-2005 11:07 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

nflsucks Wrote:What's all this talk about the Champs Sports Bowl? Did I miss something? Have they officially aligned with the Big East?
No but the BE is in serious running to secure it.

We are counting our chickens 03-razz
06-09-2005 12:33 PM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

TexanMark Wrote:We are counting our chickens&nbsp; 03-razz
It pains me to say this but so might be the Gator Bowl and others. Sure, everybody would love to be playing SEC and B10 teams in their bowls, but there's only so many of them to go around after their "Given" match-ups (Rose, Sugar and Capital One). It's just like the non-BCS schools trying to fight their way into the BCS, only smaller in scale and perhaps more ridiculous.

Neither the BE nor the ACC like the idea of essentially having each other for bowl games, as they can conceivably meet in four match-ups (Orange, Gator, Tire and Champs). Tiring for leagues that also play each other in the regular season. I think it would be best for the BE and ACC to begin by luring the B12 into a pool of games similar to what is being proposed for the SEC, B10, B12 and ND. Where and how to make it work out, that's the (approximately) $10 million dollar question.
06-09-2005 01:38 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.