Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
A New MWC Expansion Candidate?
Yoda Offline
1st String

I Root For: Fresno State

If Syracuse were to go to the Big 10, then why wouldn't the MWC go after Louisville (along with Fresno State and Boise State)? That would put Louisville in an Eastern Division, along with TCU and New Mexico -- and three others (from among Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, Utah and BYU). Adding those three schools would close the door on the Big East's hopes for retaining it's autobid.

The distance from Louisville, KY to Salt Lake City is only about 180 miles further than is the distance from Fort Worth, TX to Salt Lake City, UT. On the other hand, even without Syracuse, the Big East is the stronger basketball conference.

I'm not saying that an invitation would be either tendered or accepted. But it's an interesting idea.

Yoda out...
06-14-2005 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Hah,Hah, hah,

Is this post a joke or do you honestly think Ul would consider an invite to the MWC?

Most Card fans are basketball and football fans. They would revolt against any move that pulled them out of Big East basketball. I anticipate our basketball revenue to approach $20 million dollars a year within 3 years of Big East play.
06-14-2005 09:18 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Yoda Wrote:If Syracuse were to go to the Big 10, then why wouldn't the MWC go after Louisville (along with Fresno State and Boise State)? That would put Louisville in an Eastern Division, along with TCU and New Mexico -- and three others (from among Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, Utah and BYU). Adding those three schools would close the door on the Big East's hopes for retaining it's autobid.

The distance from Louisville, KY to Salt Lake City is only about 180 miles further than is the distance from Fort Worth, TX to Salt Lake City, UT. On the other hand, even without Syracuse, the Big East is the stronger basketball conference.

I'm not saying that an invitation would be either tendered or accepted. But it's an interesting idea.

Yoda out...
Good Lord.
06-14-2005 09:29 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

That was a joke right Yoda. Louisville and Cincinnati were pretty much the cousins of the "Eastern Independents" as someone might have put it before. ECU and Virginia Tech would also be two of these "cousins". In all reality the Eastern Independents were the seven JoePa wanted to build a conference with in the 80s plus VaTech, ECU, UL, UC, ND, and the academies. Ultimately had he gotten the 7 of us lined up he would have gotten Maryland right away too, so the 8 of us, he likely would have invited Va Tech, ECU, UL and UC. That would have been an unstoppable machine in College Sports and we'd have all the natural rivalries preserved and likely more money than the Big Ten, ACC, or SEC would ever make.
06-14-2005 10:36 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:But it's an interesting idea.
If you are a nut job, yes.
06-14-2005 11:20 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Just stop. If you are gonna post crap that is that dumb than just give it up.

In other news that is just as likely to happen, Michael Jackson, fresh off his innocent verdict, will be selected 1st in the NBA draft later this month.

I also heard BYU was considering dropping to I-AA and joining the SWAC.
06-15-2005 12:32 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

Yoda Wrote:If Syracuse were to go to the Big 10, then why wouldn't the MWC go after Louisville (along with Fresno State and Boise State)?  That would put Louisville in an Eastern Division, along with TCU and New Mexico -- and three others (from among Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, Utah and BYU).  Adding those three schools would close the door on the Big East's hopes for retaining it's autobid.

The distance from  Louisville, KY to Salt Lake City is only about 180 miles further than is the distance from Fort Worth, TX to Salt Lake City, UT.  On the other hand, even without Syracuse, the Big East is the stronger basketball conference.

I'm not saying that an invitation would be either tendered or accepted.  But it's an interesting idea.

Yoda out...
Yoda; You really are a glutton for punishment. :laugh: :laugh: I will never take you seriously about anything, ever again. :laugh: :laugh:
06-15-2005 09:26 AM
ballhog Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis

brista21 Wrote:That was a joke right Yoda. Louisville and Cincinnati were pretty much the cousins of the "Eastern Independents" as someone might have put it before. ECU and Virginia Tech would also be two of these "cousins". In all reality the Eastern Independents were the seven JoePa wanted to build a conference with in the 80s plus VaTech, ECU, UL, UC, ND, and the academies. Ultimately had he gotten the 7 of us lined up he would have gotten Maryland right away too, so the 8 of us, he likely would have invited Va Tech, ECU, UL and UC. That would have been an unstoppable machine in College Sports and we'd have all the natural rivalries preserved and likely more money than the Big Ten, ACC, or SEC would ever make.
Whoa, I'll agree that Yoda just made an idiotic statement, but don't answer with another idiotic statement. You don't have to hop on the crazy train just because its going by.
06-15-2005 09:52 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

What color is the sky in your world?
06-15-2005 04:52 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

ballhog Wrote:
brista21 Wrote:That was a joke right Yoda. Louisville and Cincinnati were pretty much the cousins of the "Eastern Independents" as someone might have put it before. ECU and Virginia Tech would also be two of these "cousins". In all reality the Eastern Independents were the seven JoePa wanted to build a conference with in the 80s plus VaTech, ECU, UL, UC, ND, and the academies. Ultimately had he gotten the 7 of us lined up he would have gotten Maryland right away too, so the 8 of us, he likely would have invited Va Tech, ECU, UL and UC. That would have been an unstoppable machine in College Sports and we'd have all the natural rivalries preserved and likely more money than the Big Ten, ACC, or SEC would ever make.
Whoa, I'll agree that Yoda just made an idiotic statement, but don't answer with another idiotic statement. You don't have to hop on the crazy train just because its going by.
There's nothing idiotic about it, the majority if not all of that might possibly of come to pass.
06-15-2005 04:53 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

The yoda theory states the MWC and Big East must combine to keep the BCS bid. In principal I just don't agree with this theory.

The Big East will keep its automatic BCS bid.....not because of play probably, but more likely because of market based reasons. If a conference doesn't make the numbers, they can always file a petition stating they belong because of markets.

The real question is, what does the MWC have to do to earn an automatic berth to the BCS? They can use the market argument and/or add a Boise State or Fresno to increase their conference ratings if necessary.

The next round of realignment could very well start out west with Boise moving to the MWC causing the WAC to face all kind of issues in determining its future that could trickle down to other leagues.
06-15-2005 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Yodi, from the darkside you are! You be smoking some good #hit, you be! 04-cheers
06-15-2005 08:54 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

i have it on good authority that Army, Navy, Temple, Buffalo and Appy State are joining forces with Sac State, UC-Davis, Portland State and Montana for a new version of the Big West.

Centenary will join for curling, only.

Should be an exciting league?
06-15-2005 09:04 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

04-drinky 04-drinky 04-drinky :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 04-cheers 04-cheers 04-cheers

I hear you! 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock
06-15-2005 09:09 PM
brista21 Offline

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
ballhog Wrote:
There's nothing idiotic about it, the majority if not all of that might possibly of come to pass.
Thank you Cat's. Its not that far fetched had things gone the way grumpy wanted them to in the 80s. Also two other "cousins" to the Eastern Independents would really be FSU and Miami.
06-15-2005 10:15 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

I don't think Louisville would leave the strongest hoops league in the nation for a mediocre one (MWC).....and football?.....the BE is a BCS conference while the MWC's still dreaming about it.....and no..the MWC will never get BCS status as it is, maybe if they add UTEP, Boise and Fresno, but I won't hold my breath. So.....UL going to the MWC is like saying Michigan is going to the MAC or Texas to C-USA or UCLA to the WAC or Alabama to the Sun Belt. 03-razz
06-16-2005 10:21 AM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

People throw away the idea of Louisville and Cincinnati and others being "cousins" of the Eastern teams, but look at their history. Those schools would technically be in an interesting conference if one were to pop up today. Those schools, along with East Carolina, were as close to being Big East schools without being in the Big East as you can get.
06-17-2005 09:12 PM
brista21 Offline

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:People throw away the idea of Louisville and Cincinnati and others being "cousins" of the Eastern teams, but look at their history. Those schools would technically be in an interesting conference if one were to pop up today. Those schools, along with East Carolina, were as close to being Big East schools without being in the Big East as you can get.
Yep during the 80s and even the early 90s Penn State and Cincinnati played very regularly in FB. That would certainly indicate to me that Cincinnati was very close to the Eastern Indpendents. Rutgers also played Louisville a few times in the 80s, in fact because Rutgers wasn't terrible back then (not great either) and Louisville wasn't the powerhouse in the making that it is today the Ville has an 0-4 record against us the only Big East team that it has previously played that it has never beaten. However, that will certainly change in this inaugural season of the new Big East Football Conference.
06-18-2005 12:19 AM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Yoda Wrote:If Syracuse were to go to the Big 10, then why wouldn't the MWC go after Louisville (along with Fresno State and Boise State)? That would put Louisville in an Eastern Division, along with TCU and New Mexico -- and three others (from among Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, Utah and BYU). Adding those three schools would close the door on the Big East's hopes for retaining it's autobid.

Yoda out...
Yoda, I think you're losing it. Louisville would be playing games against teams 3 time zones away. No conference should ever cover 4 time zones. The MWC should add BOISE, FRESNO, AND UTEP, keeping it down to a compact 3 time zones LOL.

The BIGEAST presently covers one time zone. I wouldn't be against adding teams from the eastern part of the central zone, but I don't think conferences should cover more than 2 time zones.

The B10, SEC, B12, and P10 all cover 2 zones, and that would be my limit.
06-18-2005 12:34 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

Yoda out...
Dumb post of the year nominee.

I can't believe I wasted 10 seconds of my life reading this crap.

The MWC is a wannabe conference.

Got BCS?
06-18-2005 01:51 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.