Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Ayers' hindsight doesn't need glasses" from the Bristol Herald Courier
Bookmark and Share
BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
"Ayers' hindsight doesn't need glasses" from the Bristol Herald Courier
In case you have not seen it elsewhere, here is a little piece from the BHC on Mike Ayers and the different directions that his program at Wofford and ETSU have taken since his departure from Johnson City.

Ayers' hindsight doesn't need glasses
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 09:58 AM by BucsFan.)
10-17-2011 09:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: "Ayers' hindsight doesn't need glasses" from the Bristol Herald Courier
(10-17-2011 09:58 AM)BucsFan Wrote:  In case you have not seen it elsewhere, here is a little piece from the BHC on Mike Ayers and the different directions that his program at Wofford and ETSU have taken since his departure from Johnson City.

Looks like we have a great reporter at the BHC who knows what is going on. I hope he writes many more about the state of athletics at ETSU. Good article.
10-17-2011 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
I went to high school with Tim and have read his stuff since he started at the BHC. Probably the best "Purple" Hayes has done writing, ever.
Proud he's removed himself from Jimmy Gobble's jock and is focusing on things in the Tri-Cities.
10-17-2011 11:11 AM
ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

(10-17-2011 11:11 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I went to high school with Tim and have read his stuff since he started at the BHC. Probably the best "Purple" Hayes has done writing, ever.
Proud he's removed himself from Jimmy Gobble's jock and is focusing on things in the Tri-Cities.

So will he allowed on ETSU's Press Row???
10-17-2011 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

By comparison, ETSU’s football program has been in moth balls since 2003 and the Buccaneers’ athletic department has grown increasingly more irrelevant on the Tri-Cities sports scene since dropping the sport

This statment from Hayes may be the understatemet of the last decade. A lot of us are wondering if he will be allowed into the Dome.
10-17-2011 12:31 PM
BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
From the lack of coverage that the BHC gives ETSU sports overall, I doubt there will be much of a request to get into the Dome.
10-17-2011 04:02 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I personally liked the "Spartanburg was hopping, Johnson City was Lacking" comment. I'm guessing Timmy won't be on the ETSU beat this year. Would love to see Sacco there. He's such a ******* he'll be great at pissing people off.
10-17-2011 07:11 PM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
(10-17-2011 07:11 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I personally liked the "Spartanburg was hopping, Johnson City was Lacking" comment. I'm guessing Timmy won't be on the ETSU beat this year. Would love to see Sacco there. He's such a ******* he'll be great at pissing people off.

Yes, getting hayes to sling as much negetive rhetoric towrds the current administration is definately be a good play....duh? I mean in the last eight years it has worked so well.... All that does is alienate the football supporters more and move the football agenda in the wrong direction.
10-18-2011 09:47 AM
Goldfinger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Restoration
(10-18-2011 09:47 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  
(10-17-2011 07:11 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I personally liked the "Spartanburg was hopping, Johnson City was Lacking" comment. I'm guessing Timmy won't be on the ETSU beat this year. Would love to see Sacco there. He's such a ******* he'll be great at pissing people off.

Yes, getting hayes to sling as much negetive rhetoric towrds the current administration is definately be a good play....duh? I mean in the last eight years it has worked so well.... All that does is alienate the football supporters more and move the football agenda in the wrong direction.

This mentality is why I hate East Tennessee. Not the geography of course, no no, the people.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 09:50 AM by Goldfinger.)
10-18-2011 09:49 AM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(10-18-2011 09:49 AM)Goldfinger Wrote:  

This mentality is why I hate East Tennessee. Not the geography of course, no no, the people.

back at ya....if we all just had the mentality of a gold....
10-18-2011 09:58 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2011 09:58 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  
(10-18-2011 09:49 AM)Goldfinger Wrote:  

back at ya....if we all just had the mentality of a gold....

...we would have a marching band, a football team and be getting ready about now for a Homecoming game instead of this agony of trying to get back to normal.
10-18-2011 10:09 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I'm pretty sure that Tim is doing what he can to move towards awards and possibly finding a better job than the BHC. I don't gather anyone put Purple Hayes up to it, as he's usually pretty focused on southwest Virginia high schools. But I guess he got the assignment and that's where it took him.
Nowhere in the article did he personally attack anyone at ETSU. He simply said Spartanburg was hopping, Johnson City was lacking, as well as ETSU is becoming increasingly more irrelevant in the Tri-Cities sports scene. There was nothing there that wasn't factual in nature or degrading towards any current or former ETSU employee.
10-18-2011 10:43 AM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(10-18-2011 10:43 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that Tim is doing what he can to move towards awards and possibly finding a better job than the BHC. I don't gather anyone put Purple Hayes up to it, as he's usually pretty focused on southwest Virginia high schools. But I guess he got the assignment and that's where it took him.
Nowhere in the article did he personally attack anyone at ETSU. He simply said Spartanburg was hopping, Johnson City was lacking, as well as ETSU is becoming increasingly more irrelevant in the Tri-Cities sports scene. There was nothing there that wasn't factual in nature or degrading towards any current or former ETSU employee.

come on lover...the tone of the article was negetive. Truthful, but negetive. I was more referring to the "pissing people off" portion of your suggestion. Right or wrong, you know what happens when local-mocal reporters push an agenda.
10-18-2011 10:58 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

They end up covering the Portland Trailblazers and winning awards. The tone of the piece was an interview with a coach and how his decision, while a major gamble ended up working out incredibly well.
Now, I don't know how well that would've worked had the NFL not given an expansion team to Charlotte, but again, ETSU was afforded the same financial opportunities that Wofford recieved when the Mr. Adams got fed up with Houston.
10-18-2011 11:16 AM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2011 09:58 AM)BucsFan Wrote:  In case you have not seen it elsewhere, here is a little piece from the BHC on Mike Ayers and the different directions that his program at Wofford and ETSU have taken since his departure from Johnson City.

Someone should print this piece off and put it on the new president's desk in January. Highlight the digs at ETSU and show him that he needs to roll up his sleeves and make athletics a priority. At the very least, market the basketball team. Buy a few billboards or get a few commercials on TV or something. Fliers and signs around campus aren't going to help boost attendance, and neither is playing in the cavernous Dome.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 09:31 PM by Mister Consistency.)
10-18-2011 09:30 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

The fliers and signs around campus are a start. The problem comes from coaching. Especially with basketball, it has got to become a priority for Coach Bartow and Coach Kemp to reach out to all groups on campus.
10-19-2011 12:02 PM
Advertisement

missletoe9 Offline
Water Engineer

As a former player under Ayers, I was stunned by his departure. But he made the choice he felt was right. I cannot and will not fault him for that. It was the hire after him that was the beginning of the down hill spiral that led to the end of the program. The Cavan years were good as were the Hamilton years, but Hamilton was hamstrung by budget cuts and lack of full funding. But the thing that sticks in my craw more than anything was the blatant lie about a fundraising project to save the team. I NEVER heard from one person telling me that they were raising money for the football program, and I always updated my info with the alumni office and Coach Morrow knew where I lived. Maybe the new president will like athletics a little bit more than Stanton and know that the school's identity comes from athletics.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2011 12:53 PM by missletoe9.)
10-19-2011 12:53 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I too cannot ever remember being asked for money for football. To say they "could not raise enough money for football" is probably their worst lie. Hopefully the first thing the new president will do is start an active and concerted fund raising specific for football. Start the football program back and start fund raising for it. 8 years has been too long.
10-19-2011 01:38 PM
ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

(10-19-2011 01:38 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  I too cannot ever remember being asked for money for football. To say they "could not raise enough money for football" is probably their worst lie. Hopefully the first thing the new president will do is start an active and concerted fund raising specific for football. Start the football program back and start fund raising for it. 8 years has been too long.

There was a mandate from the 1998 Task Force to revamp the fundraising model. The responsibility in order was: Athletic Director, Pirate Club Director, and President.

Frank Pergolizzi and Matt Phillips devised a campaign that revolved around facilities and the need to have many upgrades and new facilities built. Never got off the ground because it relied on cooperation between the city and University. Frank got the door-knob-on-the-way-out because was the lynchman that had to go after Fred Warren and Dave Mullins' private money stash in order to address the budget cuts and Title IX. Restricted giving was a NO-NO, and it cost Frank his job because Stanton was spineless against Mullins and especially Fred. Rule #1, don't mess with Fred.

The Gridiron Club did a great job of generating support for football to supplement the budget and the give Coach Hamilton some discretionary funding. No different that what EddieD had with the Hoops Club and that Fred and Dave had with their Foundation Accounts. BUT, they were doing too good of a job and the Pirate Club folks found themselves looking at a level that they'd never attempted to do for football. Again, because of "concerns" the Gridiron was asked to absorb into the Pirate Club and that pretty much ended the enthusiasm.

Stansbury started the Letterman's Club with the purpose of reconnecting the Letter Winners, creating a "ritual" to have as part of a new tradition with the awarding of the letterman's jacket and ultimately the Letterman's Ring. It would have been a big deal. Pretty much the ONLY people who donated to the effort were football players. Maybe, people forget about that. They have a new version of it now, it's free to join. Don't know if the seniors get a ring or not, I hope they do.

Todd Stansbury also brought in a great concept in 2001-2002 that would have definitely redefined Athletics Advancement. The idea of "friendraising" and starting people on a donor level that would generate more interest while expanding the base. A series of breakfast's were planned across the TRI. The first was highly successful. None of the other's ever happend because Stansbury resigned for the job at Oregon State in Dec. 2002. Mullins was name "interim" and then given the job in the spring, football's death was announced, and the rest is history.

So, NO, there was NEVER a true effort designed or implemented to raise money to "save" football. I was on the Task Force, there was no "mandate to raise money to save football" and I worked there from 1998-2003. No effort other than what I've recalled above.
10-19-2011 05:14 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
It's time to follow up that bit of history with this statement.

Football does not take away funds from other sports at ETSU.

Golf and tennis take away funds from other sports at ETSU, including, at one time, football.
10-19-2011 09:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.