Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
One More Area of Improvement
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

In 2005 college basketball the Atlantic Coast Conference set a record with almost 2 million fans, but its average of 11,097 was second to the Big Ten's 12,530. The SEC was third at 10,663, and the Big East was fourth at 10,396.

With the addition of:
#4 Louisville 18,746
#21 Marquette 11,965
#27 Cincy 11,304
#55 DePaul 9,159
We are bound to catch the SEC and maybe even the ACC because these four teams drew those numbers playing against a lack luster C-USA slate. I'd be willing to bet the ranch every one of these school's attendance will leap (with the acception of Louisville which doesn't have much room for improvement). I look for at least a two thousand fans per game improvement...especially if these teams are competitive. 04-rock
06-28-2005 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU

You forgot USF's 3,220 that will undoubtably skew.
06-29-2005 12:27 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Adding in those 5 numbers and subtracting BC (I had no clue so I very unscientifically just took out the league avg. of 10,396 to represent them) the avg. total only increases from 10,396 to 10,547...An increase of only 151 fans.

However, UofL averaged much more for 16 of their 17 games. The night of the Austin Peay game I was one of only 8,325 who could make it through the winter storm to FH. Take out this once in a decade abnormality (happened against Charlotte at home in what, 1994?) and the Card's avg. jumps from 18,746 to 19,397.

Throw in the excitment of playing new teams that will draw fans out and we will pass the SEC but probably not anyone else unless dead weight averages in the 3 or 4 thousand range jump a good deal. We will have 2 of the top 4 in the nation every year with Cuse and UofL but the bottom counts just as much on the other end.
06-29-2005 02:33 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Actually Boston College had the worst home attendane in men's hoops in the league last yr...shocking since the team was so good...I think averaged around 8,000

Jackson
06-29-2005 07:01 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

a) <a href='http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1046&start=0' target='_blank'>Here is an assessment</a> of bball attendance stats from the other board. Please note, it involves straight averages as opposed to NCAA's use of weighted averages.

b) Actually, BC averaged only 6,400 fans last year, which is about par for them.

c) With the new lineups the BE will move into 2nd place for average attendance (using straight avgs. Unsure about weighted but expect the same.)

d) Should the BE split an even 8 and 8 as most commonly theorized, the 1-A football conference would compete for highest attendance honors with a near 12k avg, while the "Catholic League" would hover around the 9k mark.

I'll use this platform to suggest the BE football members will use this as a nice launching pad for the split. Even if they're not a football super-power, they'll enthusastically wave the banner of best basketball conference and that will be worth something EVEN TOWARDS BCS membership. They would be an anchor conference toward TV contracts for the NCAAs and the other conferences won't easily dismiss that.
06-29-2005 10:11 AM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I really think the numbers will improve dramatically for the incoming schools with the exception of UofL If the old schools can maintain their numbers despite the fact that they will be trying to keep fans interested in new teams and rivaries....I think we will do well. I do know one thing for sure, it seems UofL might be the new kid on the block that teams love to hate in the new BE....so the old teams won't have any problems selling out for us. If Cincy is ranked and doing well (and they will be), they will draw for the old teams as well.
06-29-2005 10:19 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:I'll use this platform to suggest the BE football members will use this as a nice launching pad for the split. Even if they're not a football super-power, they'll enthusastically wave the banner of best basketball conference and that will be worth something EVEN TOWARDS BCS membership. They would be an anchor conference toward TV contracts for the NCAAs and the other conferences won't easily dismiss that.

-- I agree...and to complete the puzzle Memphis slides in as the ninth school....geography aside its a good fit..

Jackson
06-29-2005 01:09 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

You are losing sight that we are talking about academic institutions. Memphis clearly has a different academic charter and some feel doesn't fit with Syracuse, Pitt, RU, and UConns'. There will be resistance from the NE schools.
06-29-2005 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I must have been posting at the same time as Gunner and didn’t see his response. His is a very astute observation. It would be interesting to keep two sets of stats over the next couple of years on BEast attendance figures. It would be really interesting to see what the figures would look like if average attendance was kept for football playing schools against each other as opposed to against the whole conference. I’m sure the rivalries will be more intense and the attendance higher than against non football playing schools.
06-29-2005 02:46 PM
freshjive2103 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I think that you can expect a little bump in the DePaul attendance. Jerry Wainwright is the anti-Dave Leitao, as Jerry likes to market his program and is willing to pal with the media. Leitao was not as interested in this part of coaching. Jerry has been on two Chicago sports programs already for interviews, which I think equals the number that DL was in during his 3 years here. Secondly, the quality of the opponent is going to be better, both in conference and non-conference. Wainwright likes to schedule a tough non-conference schedule, with rumors floating that DePaul will take on Wake Forest, California and Texas this year. Of course, will still play some mid-major teams, but I do not believe they will be "cakewalk" teams.
06-29-2005 02:54 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:You are losing sight that we are talking about academic institutions. Memphis clearly has a different academic charter and some feel doesn't fit with Syracuse, Pitt, RU, and UConns'. There will be resistance from the NE schools.

-- Wouldn't it be possible to make it requirement that Memphis jump to tier 3 so many yrs after the invite....and frankly there not that far from UC, West Virginia, Louisville and South Flordia acadmeically..Louiville just became tier 3 very recently and there was no resistance to them

Jackson
06-29-2005 03:11 PM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

its just folks looking for an excuse. if memphis was a tier 2, then somebody would come up with another excuse.

bottom line is memphis fits athletically and would help bring money to the big east table. period.
06-29-2005 03:14 PM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

cardtopper Wrote:I must have been posting at the same time as Gunner and didn’t see his response. His is a very astute observation. It would be interesting to keep two sets of stats over the next couple of years on BEast attendance figures. It would be really interesting to see what the figures would look like if average attendance was kept for football playing schools against each other as opposed to against the whole conference. I’m sure the rivalries will be more intense and the attendance higher than against non football playing schools.
a) Thank you!

b) Regarding attendance differences if the opponent is a "football" or "basketball" school: I don't think you'll see much of a difference this year, especially considering the appeal and ties with programs such as Villanova and Goegretown and the relative unfamiliarity of USF. Try some years down the line if rumors of a split grow stronger.

c) Some folks are still going to lose games in all this. Across the boards I've read/heard where every program is going to win, or really surprise others, etc. Unless some new laws of logic come out, someone is going to finish in the bottom of this league, with others close behind them at the cellar and who knows how that might kill enthusiasm for some programs. What if Providence or Seton Hall suddenly feel like the basketball equivalent of Wake Forest football, with now that many more power programs blocking their way to success? The BE will have the best overall numbers, I'm just cautioning people into believing every member is going to be post-season material or an ESPN darling.

d) Anyone else concerned about how Pitt will evolve? Traditionally, there are few (none?) schools that truly succeed as a power in both major sports, and right now people seem to be counting on Pitt for excellence in both. If they do become another top 25 football power, does that impact support for basketball now that Cincy and Louisville are available to pick up W's, national TV time and regional recruits? Don't know, just asking.
06-29-2005 03:19 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Memphis fits just fine. Geographically, they'd stretch us no further than the other major conferences. Academically, they're a NATIONAL university with a doctoral/extensive rating. The tier 4 thing would probably jump to tier 3 within a year of admittance.

They would probably help our attendance in both fb and bb. They bring a TV market, which everyone seems to think is so important. Memphis is a good fit in my book.

Jim
06-29-2005 03:24 PM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

Jackson1011 Wrote:-- Wouldn't it be possible to make it&nbsp; requirement that Memphis jump to tier 3 so many yrs after the invite....and frankly there not that far from UC, West Virginia, Louisville and South Flordia acadmeically..Louiville just became tier 3 very recently and there was no resistance to them
Jackson! I'd think you should know how silly and likely illegal such a request would be, especially in light of the full discussions and views of those rankings on these boards. That someone moves up in the USN Tiers can have as much to do with the success/failure of others as it is with your own actions.

What made Louisville stand out and attractive to the BE is their ability to show progress in the academic arena via programmatic funding and commitment to certain standards. Thus they may always remain Tier 3 but truly progress in the academic standards that the Tier ranking is essentially meaningless.

If the BE is serious about this they need only establish their own academic standards and say "Anyone who meets these is eligible for consideration." But those must be legally measurable and representative only of that schools performance, not someone else's perspective of that performance. Thus they can use some of the same measurables as USN, but the BE must have their own justifiable standards to define what's good and what's not.
06-29-2005 03:28 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:d) Anyone else concerned about how Pitt will evolve? Traditionally, there are few (none?) schools that truly succeed as a power in both major sports, and right now people seem to be counting on Pitt for excellence in both. If they do become another top 25 football power, does that impact support for basketball now that Cincy and Louisville are available to pick up W's, national TV time and regional recruits? Don't know, just asking.

-- Pitt basketball is really going to strugle this yr...Chris Taft left early, Troutman graduated and there great point gurand Carl krauser is probably going to leave school early to play pro ball in Europe

-- Personally...I think Pitt hoops has gotten a little worse each yr since Ben Howland went to UCLA....Jamie Dixion is a good recruitier but not the best Xs and Os guy and I still question hiring a man who had never been a college HC before

Jackson
06-29-2005 03:32 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Jackson! I'd think you should know how silly and likely illegal such a request would be, especially in light of the full discussions and views of those rankings on these boards. That someone moves up in the USN Tiers can have as much to do with the success/failure of others as it is with your own actions.
Jackson! I'd think you should know how silly and likely illegal such a request would be, especially in light of the full discussions and views of those rankings on these boards. That someone moves up in the USN Tiers can have as much to do with the success/failure of others as it is with your own actions.

What made Louisville stand out and attractive to the BE is their ability to show progress in the academic arena via programmatic funding and commitment to certain standards. Thus they may always remain Tier 3 but truly progress in the academic standards that the Tier ranking is essentially meaningless.

If the BE is serious about this they need only establish their own academic standards and say "Anyone who meets these is eligible for consideration." But those must be legally measurable and representative only of that schools performance, not someone else's perspective of that performance. Thus they can use some of the same measurables as USN, but the BE must have their own justifiable standards to define what's good and what's not.

-- I see....thanks for the correction :) .....well if that is the case I would be against any such academic standards required by the BE or by the proposed all sports league...I know a lot of people won't like it but I am more worried about #s of bowls and NCAA trips rather then # of academic tiers when it comes to expansion
06-29-2005 03:42 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies

Quote:The tier 4 thing would probably jump to tier 3 within a year of admittance.
You mean like UL did? Hmmmmm... sounds ludicrous! :D

There's a lot of excitement around the U of M these days, and it's not limited to athletic pursuits.

[Image: IMG_3033.jpg]
06-29-2005 03:52 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:Jackson! I'd think you should know how silly and likely illegal such a request would be, especially in light of the full discussions and views of those rankings on these boards. That someone moves up in the USN Tiers can have as much to do with the success/failure of others as it is with your own actions.

-- I see....thanks for the correction :) .....well if that is the case I would be against any such academic standards required by the BE or by the proposed all sports league...I know a lot of people won't like it but I am more worried about #s of bowls and NCAA trips rather then # of academic tiers when it comes to expansion
As a sports fan I agree with you. I actually see alot of neat things about having Memphis in the league.

However, schools tend to group themselves to academic selectivity. There are some exceptions but it is generally true and a significant factor to the college leadership of conference schools.
06-29-2005 03:59 PM
CardsWin00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Does FedEX own the University of Memphis yet?
06-30-2005 12:18 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.