Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Things Doeren should do
Bookmark and Share
badmoonrising_13 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Things Doeren should do
Here are somethings I think Dave should do next week against Wisconsin as far as the defense is concerned.
1. Play at least four new starters, younger the better. (Really, can they do any worse?)
2. Onside kick at least 3 times. (That way there's at least a small chance to get the ball back)
3. Gamble and sell out on each play. Jump routes and go all out blitz on any running down. (Yes we'll get burned but so what?)
4. If he's not already, he needs to call all defensive plays and take full responsibility of the defense. (The buck should stop with him)
God help us. 03-banghead
09-11-2011 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cagy cager Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Things Doeren should do
I am sure this professional coach, with 16 years experience, knows precisely what must be done starting with never listening to Monday morning quarterbacks with little or no knowledge of the game like badmoon.
09-11-2011 03:18 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
(09-11-2011 03:08 PM)badmoonrising_13 Wrote:  Here are somethings I think Dave should do next week against Wisconsin as far as the defense is concerned.
1. Play at least four new starters, younger the better. (Really, can they do any worse?)
2. Onside kick at least 3 times. (That way there's at least a small chance to get the ball back)
3. Gamble and sell out on each play. Jump routes and go all out blitz on any running down. (Yes we'll get burned but so what?)
4. If he's not already, he needs to call all defensive plays and take full responsibility of the defense. (The buck should stop with him)
God help us. 03-banghead

Picking a random number of new starters guarantees nothing. It's just change for the sake of change. He needs to play the best players...I don't think there is somebody being held back.

Onside kicking 3 times is playing against the odds, which a good coach shouldn't do that often.

Blitzing on every play is predictable and very easy to beat.
09-11-2011 03:38 PM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Forget the no huddle.
Try to take as much time off the clock as you can.
Do not let the defense on the field.
09-12-2011 11:01 AM
WhiskeyDick Offline
Banned

I Root For: Penalty kills
Doeren inherited crap on defense and is a first year coach. Yet we have know-it-alls lambasting his defensive playcalling. Typical b.s. that pollutes this board.
09-12-2011 11:05 AM
sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-11-2011 03:18 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  I am sure this professional coach, with 16 years experience, knows precisely what must be done starting with never listening to Monday morning quarterbacks with little or no knowledge of the game like badmoon.

Good grief - amen to that!
09-12-2011 11:05 AM
Advertisement

WhiskeyDick Offline
Banned

I Root For: Penalty kills
(09-12-2011 11:05 AM)sportsfan Wrote:  
(09-11-2011 03:18 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  I am sure this professional coach, with 16 years experience, knows precisely what must be done starting with never listening to Monday morning quarterbacks with little or no knowledge of the game like badmoon.

Good grief - amen to that!

+ 1
09-12-2011 11:06 AM
sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-12-2011 11:05 AM)WhiskeyDick Wrote:  Doeren inherited crap on defense and is a first year coach. Yet we have know-it-alls lambasting his defensive playcalling. Typical b.s. that pollutes this board.

Have you looked into a mirror lately?
09-12-2011 11:07 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Haven't seen too many complaining about the defensive playcalling though. Mostly it was a matter of the players not being in the right spot or not making the tackle when they were.
09-12-2011 11:09 AM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
If our kicker can't kick deep and get good hang time on kickoffs, and our special teams can't stop giving up good field position then how about we just kick the balls more linear through the end zone.
09-12-2011 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
2010Huskie Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-12-2011 11:01 AM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  Forget the no huddle.

The no huddle still works in our favor, Chandler just needs to run more time off the clock b4 the ball is snapped. By running no huddle NIU can limit the ability for Wisky to substitute players and packages, giving NIU the benefit on certain down, such as short yardage when the other team doesn't have enough time to run their big guys on the field and get set. But it is hard to not think what could have happened Saturday if we didn't score so quickly every time. Bottom line - we lost, but that doesn't mean we can't learn from it either.
09-12-2011 11:11 AM
Advertisement

gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-11-2011 03:08 PM)badmoonrising_13 Wrote:  Here are somethings I think Dave should do next week against Wisconsin as far as the defense is concerned.
God help us. 03-banghead

have you sent these points to coach doeren. maybe we got the wrong coach. i'd give him a couple more games and then make a decision on his future. we are closer to rock bottom then a championship.
09-12-2011 11:12 AM
NIUFAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I like this idea. In order to have any chance in this game we need to keep the D off the field as much as possible. We shouldn't snap the ball with any more then 5 sec left on the play clock on downs when the game clock is running.
09-12-2011 11:24 AM
NIUslumo Offline
1st String

(09-12-2011 11:24 AM)NIUFAN Wrote:  

I like this idea. In order to have any chance in this game we need to keep the D off the field as much as possible. We shouldn't snap the ball with any more then 5 sec left on the play clock on downs when the game clock is running.

Not sure how this would really help. Wouldn't it just mean we would've lost 24-21 instead of 45-42? If we can't stop anyone, and we slow the game down, the 2 teams just won't score as much.
09-12-2011 11:33 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Maybe we get the ball last in this scenario.
09-12-2011 01:04 PM
Hall of Famer

It's two games into his coaching career. TWO. The only real problem I had was the timeout usage in the 2nd half of the Kansas game. Doeren can't be held accountable for every bad kick and missed tackle without giving him credit for the good offense. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, defense is his specialty but he inherited a rather thin and young group. We weren't a preseason top 10 team. Give him a chance to coach them up/make the right substitutions and actually coach an entire season. (Also, let him recruit more of "his" guys.) If the defense shows no improvement by the end of the year, if his use of timeouts is still questionable, if he puts in Grady at QB, fine, have at him.

Feel free to criticize his mistakes but don't let the disappointment of one game (such a limited sample it's absurd) be the reason you hang Doeren. I'm glad NIU fans have high expectations and hurt when they lose, but geez, take a breath.
09-12-2011 02:37 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

Also, I am for the no huddle BECAUSE IT'S WORKING. Let's not fix what isn't broke. Let's fix the defense and special teams. There's no way to avoid giving the other team the ball.

NIUslumo is right; just because there'd be less scores, doesn't mean we'd stop the opponent enough to win.
09-12-2011 02:40 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
God help us. 03-banghead

So, according to you, going into the game where we will play unquestionably the biggest and most talented team we will face all year, the coach should put in at least 4 guys who he thinks are not as good as the guys who he has been playing so far? are you insane?
The other points are even dumber.
09-12-2011 02:45 PM
NIUHuskie4life Online
1st String

I Root For: NIU & WMU
Here's what I think Doeren should do: NOT listen to morons on this board who think they know better than him.
09-12-2011 03:19 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Dear Coach D - I am available to play defense and / or coach, please let me know, I will be either:

A) on my couch at home
B) in my dorm room or
C) watching ESPN3

so I should be able to report to the sidelines pretty quick.

Best Regards /
Random Internet Poster
09-12-2011 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.