Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN just announced Texas A&M will join SEC
Bookmark and Share
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
ESPN just announced Texas A&M will join SEC
The SEC will announce Monday that Texas A&M will be added. Also being reported that Florida St., Missouri, and Clemson will also join them.

If this happens it will affect the Belt! What are every ones thoughts?
08-13-2011 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

I Root For: FAU
RE: ESPN just announced Texas A&M will join SEC
(08-13-2011 09:10 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  The SEC will announce Monday that Texas A&M will be added. Also being reported that Florida St., Missouri, and Clemson will also join them.

If this happens it will affect the Belt! What are every ones thoughts?

FSU is denying it, but if all of this does happen, this will be a big shake up!!!

espn article
08-13-2011 09:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Holy Crap. 04-jawdrop

Here we go again.
08-13-2011 09:20 AM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Beginning of the era of super conferences.
08-13-2011 09:38 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

Link?
08-13-2011 09:41 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

(08-13-2011 09:41 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Link?

espn article
08-13-2011 09:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(08-13-2011 09:38 AM)Green Menace Wrote:  Beginning of the era of super conferences.
I'd argue that the era of super-conferences started in 1997-87 with the creation of the BCS, which has functioned as a kind of national superconference. That's why you sometimes hear fans of "non-AQ" teams say they don't care which BCS conference they get into, just as long they get in one of them.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2011 09:48 AM by Native Georgian.)
08-13-2011 09:47 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(08-13-2011 09:41 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Link?

It was on Sports Center this morning. I believe it's still running across the bottom line on ESPN. Just turn your TV on.
08-13-2011 09:48 AM
BlueRaiderFan. Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Time for La Tech and NMSU to make a move to the Belt...assuming of course that several Belt teams don't end up in Conf USA.
08-13-2011 09:51 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
This will affect us...but when will we feel it?

If the SEC plucked two programs from the ACC, the ACC will have to go into the Big East for replacements. The key will be those replacements. Odds are that the ACC will go after UConn, but there may be competition there as the Big 10 wants UConn (and Rutgers to get into the New York marketplace). If the ACC can't get UConn, then they will likely stake a claim to Pitt and WVU and then add Syracuse and South Florida (to keep a two school presence in Florida) to take their ranks to 14. With those losses, the Big East would be hurting. Since it is an AQ conference, it will easily add members. I see their additions being East Carolina, Memphis, Temple, Nova, Army, Navy and UCF. These additions will allow the Big East to keep its AQ status. CUSA will take FIU, NIU, UNT, UNCC and Miami (OH). The MWC will take UTEP since Houston will go to the Big XII along with BYU (who will be allowed to do their own network in the Big XII). The MWC will also take SMU (as they need markets to get a decent tv deal), San Jose State and USU. The MAC will work to add WKU and MTU. The SBC will add La Tech, TxState, UTSA, NMSU, App State and Ga State.

This is how I see it going down over the next 2-3 years.
08-13-2011 09:54 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

As of right now it seems Houston will be joining the Big12. That leaves one spot open in CUSA. I believe that spot goes to UNT or FIU. It will most likely be FIU because I don't see the Texas schools voting for UNT. I think the Belt counters with invites to La Tech, Texas St, NMSU, UTSA, Georgia St, and APP St. The first 3 to accept will get the vote to join to bring the Belt to 12. The WAC will officially die.
08-13-2011 10:04 AM
Advertisement

fauowls561 Offline
Special Teams

(08-13-2011 10:04 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  As of right now it seems Houston will be joining the Big12. That leaves one spot open in CUSA. I believe that spot goes to UNT or FIU. It will most likely be FIU because I don't see the Texas schools voting for UNT. I think the Belt counters with invites to La Tech, Texas St, NMSU, UTSA, Georgia St, and APP St. The first 3 to accept will get the vote to join to bring the Belt to 12. The WAC will officially die.

I disagree in a couple areas. First, this, if it does happen, will not only effect 2 schools. If TAMU goes to the SEC, they aren't going alone. The SEC isn't going to stay at 13 schools, it'll either be 14 or 16. Houston does seem likely to head to the Big12, but they won't be the only CUSA school heading to a BCS conference. UCF, Memphis, and ECU are in prime position to fill spots in the ACC and/or Big East. Let's say TAMU and FSU head to the SEC. Houston goes to the Big12 and UCF replaces FSU. That's at least 2 open CUSA spots, and that is without the Big East doing anything, and it seems likely that they would get involved in some way.

Second, no offense to FIU, but I hardly think they would be the likely target to move to CUSA if in fact only one team would move. They have the market that would be attractive, but so does FAU (we have the same South Florida market area and don't have a BCS school next door), UNT, and MTSU...and those other schools all have equal or better facilities and fan support.

Regardless, I think if something big does happen, it's time for the SBC to make a bold move. This conference can sit around and get picked apart or we can try to add teams that will up the stature of the league. Ultimately, if CUSA loses UCF, ECU, Memphis, and Houston, is joining that conference a step up for our members? Wouldn't we be better off merging with some of the remaining CUSA teams to form a stronger Sun Belt?
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2011 10:33 AM by fauowls561.)
08-13-2011 10:31 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I don't think the SEC is going to 16 this time around, but if A&M, Florida State, Clemson, and Missouri all join the SEC:

(1) Texas has to decide whether they have to go independent, reload the Big 12, or join the Pac-16
(a) If Texas goes independent, the 7 remaining Big 12 schools have to decide whether they can absorb the football-playing side of the Big East, or reload from the Mountain West. Merging with Big East football would keep Texas from moving the rest of their sports there, and be a huge blow to the ACC. If all 9 Big East football members stay together, the ACC could be looking at Temple and Central Florida just to get back to 12 in football.
(b) If the Big 8 decides to reload, this would be an opportunity to mortally wound the hopes of the Mountain West or C-USA becoming an AQ conference. BYU is likely the first school in, but Houston, Memphis, SMU, Air Force, Colorado State, Boise State, New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada, and San Diego State could all be in play.
© If the Pac-16 happens with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, the four remaining schools (Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor) basically get to revisit the scenario described in (a). If all 9 Big East schools come on board to give the Big XII 13, either BYU or Memphis is in as the 14th member. Notre Dame could even tag along as a non-football member since 3 divisions of 5 schools works for scheduling in a number of sports. The alternative is to absorb the entire Mountain West, and possibly use Notre Dame as a non-football member to offset Hawaii's football-only membership.

(2) If the Mountain West finds itself depleted below a viable level, the WAC will be safe. The few remaining Mountain West schools will rejoin the WAC, although any front range schools could be in Conference USA if there are openings there. The worst case for the WAC would be if the Mountain West winds up at 6 or 7, in which case 1-2 schools are leaving the WAC (likely San Jose State and/or Utah State). If the Mountain West drops to 5, the WAC could invite them back, have 12 for football, and not have to add any more FCS schools. If the Mountain West drops below 5, the WAC won't have 12 for football right away, but can still get there with the usual suspects from FCS.

(3) The only real danger to the Sun Belt is a depleted Conference USA. If Conference USA gets to 8 or fewer, they'll be looking at North Texas, FAU/FIU, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee, and Western Kentucky. If C-USA falls to 6 or fewer, a merger is a very real possibility. If the Belt has to reload, it's possible that an entire FCS conference could go under, in particular the CAA.

Remember that the BCS must have a majority of FBS membership to be able to control the governance of FBS-there will be at least 67 schools in AQ conferences (68 counting Notre Dame) when all is said and done.
08-13-2011 10:35 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(08-13-2011 10:35 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  I don't think the SEC is going to 16 this time around, but if A&M, Florida State, Clemson, and Missouri all join the SEC:

(1) Texas has to decide whether they have to go independent, reload the Big 12, or join the Pac-16
(a) If Texas goes independent, the 7 remaining Big 12 schools have to decide whether they can absorb the football-playing side of the Big East, or reload from the Mountain West. Merging with Big East football would keep Texas from moving the rest of their sports there, and be a huge blow to the ACC. If all 9 Big East football members stay together, the ACC could be looking at Temple and Central Florida just to get back to 12 in football.
(b) If the Big 8 decides to reload, this would be an opportunity to mortally wound the hopes of the Mountain West or C-USA becoming an AQ conference. BYU is likely the first school in, but Houston, Memphis, SMU, Air Force, Colorado State, Boise State, New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada, and San Diego State could all be in play.
© If the Pac-16 happens with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, the four remaining schools (Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor) basically get to revisit the scenario described in (a). If all 9 Big East schools come on board to give the Big XII 13, either BYU or Memphis is in as the 14th member. Notre Dame could even tag along as a non-football member since 3 divisions of 5 schools works for scheduling in a number of sports. The alternative is to absorb the entire Mountain West, and possibly use Notre Dame as a non-football member to offset Hawaii's football-only membership.

(2) If the Mountain West finds itself depleted below a viable level, the WAC will be safe. The few remaining Mountain West schools will rejoin the WAC, although any front range schools could be in Conference USA if there are openings there. The worst case for the WAC would be if the Mountain West winds up at 6 or 7, in which case 1-2 schools are leaving the WAC (likely San Jose State and/or Utah State). If the Mountain West drops to 5, the WAC could invite them back, have 12 for football, and not have to add any more FCS schools. If the Mountain West drops below 5, the WAC won't have 12 for football right away, but can still get there with the usual suspects from FCS.

(3) The only real danger to the Sun Belt is a depleted Conference USA. If Conference USA gets to 8 or fewer, they'll be looking at North Texas, FAU/FIU, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee, and Western Kentucky. If C-USA falls to 6 or fewer, a merger is a very real possibility. If the Belt has to reload, it's possible that an entire FCS conference could go under, in particular the CAA.

Remember that the BCS must have a majority of FBS membership to be able to control the governance of FBS-there will be at least 67 schools in AQ conferences (68 counting Notre Dame) when all is said and done.

Houston goes to the Big 12 before BYU and Memphis.
08-13-2011 10:42 AM
BlueRaiderFan. Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
We have no way of knowing for certain but Conf USA seems to select based on TV market. I think they go after MT (Nashville MSA) and UNT (Dallas MSA) and FAU and/or FIU (Miami MSA). Other could go depending on how many they need but I doubt they go for any MAC schools unless they are in the southern part of Ohio or Indiana (not certain where these schools are located) even then I doubt it. Most, if not all, of Conf USA is south of Tennessee.
08-13-2011 10:55 AM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
08-13-2011 11:39 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(08-13-2011 09:38 AM)Green Menace Wrote:  Beginning of the era of super conferences.

I would say we are dangerously close to the NCAA splitting into another division - the Big Six (or maybe Big Five without the Big 12), and then all the rest. Little guys are getting shoved out.
08-13-2011 02:17 PM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
It all hinges on Texas.

If they stay, which they probably will. They will not get into Pac 10, because they want their Longhorn Network. They will not go independent because they have no where to place thier olympic sports.

Oklahoma wants the divisions back. They want to be in a different division from Texas. The Big 12 needs to add 3 schools that fit into the "south". Houston? TCU? SMU? New Mexico? Air Force? BYU? Not really sure anyone can pick this one.

Will Texas concede to Oklahoma's desire to bring back the championship game or will they stand thier ground? Oklahoma wants its own network, like the Longhorn network, but cannot get it together.

Texas will want schools that will concede to thier demands to play on the Longhorn Network. Most Non-AQ schools would agree to thier demands just to get into the Big 12.
08-13-2011 07:58 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(08-13-2011 07:58 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  It all hinges on Texas.

If they stay, which they probably will. They will not get into Pac 10, because they want their Longhorn Network. They will not go independent because they have no where to place thier olympic sports.

Oklahoma wants the divisions back. They want to be in a different division from Texas. The Big 12 needs to add 3 schools that fit into the "south". Houston? TCU? SMU? New Mexico? Air Force? BYU? Not really sure anyone can pick this one.

Will Texas concede to Oklahoma's desire to bring back the championship game or will they stand thier ground? Oklahoma wants its own network, like the Longhorn network, but cannot get it together.

Texas will want schools that will concede to thier demands to play on the Longhorn Network. Most Non-AQ schools would agree to thier demands just to get into the Big 12.
Why does it hinge on Texas? I don't think they care what A&M or Oklahoma does and why should they. Why would Texas want to be an independent when they have what they want in that conference?

Also, not sure these inevitable super conferences, like the playoffs, are as inevitable and ESPN would like to make everyone believe. ESPN and the likes are scared to death that Texas will make this thing work. They hate them as much as Notre Dame who can also do as they please.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2011 09:07 PM by Seminole Indian.)
08-13-2011 09:05 PM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(08-13-2011 09:05 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(08-13-2011 07:58 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  It all hinges on Texas.

Why does it hinge on Texas? I don't think they care what A&M or Oklahoma does and why should they. Why would Texas want to be an independent when they have what they want in that conference?

Also, not sure these inevitable super conferences, like the playoffs, are as inevitable and ESPN would like to make everyone believe. ESPN and the likes are scared to death that Texas will make this thing work. They hate them as much as Notre Dame who can also do as they please.

ESPN does not hate Texas. The Longhorn network is ESPN. They loved them enough to pay them a lot of money.
08-13-2011 09:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.