Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2011 Football: The DB's
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
2011 Football: The DB's
I took a few days away from posting to celebrate my 5th anniversary with my wife, BUT here we go with the next position to discuss:

The Defensive Backs

In 2010 the DB's had some challenges. In addition to injuries, there was only 1, one, uno interception produced by this unit. I believe there is some talent coming in and am excited to see how things play out for our DB's in the Fall...

First Thought
I look at the 21 DB's on the roster, plus the recent addition of the young man from Florida and think... English played DB... His first coaching gig was with the DB's... Maybe he's playing to his strength? And I don't think anything is wrong with it if that's the case. EMU hasn't had depth at many positions for a long time so we might as well start somewhere.

But who will actually see the field this year?

You've got Williams, Thomas and Caldwell who are all seniors safeties.
Pali played alot during the spring game. Plus you've got Cotton and some other JUCO transfers who could challenge for some time.

At Corner I would guess Pollard is a lock, but is it safe to assume Rose is
the starter or could he be bumped one of the newbies?
07-18-2011 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: 2011 Football: The DB's
You have Thomas, Williams, Gillespie, Wilson, Rose, Cardwell and Bellfy all returning with starting experience. I think Kathalay, Bates, Dickerson, Brown are there for depth. Scott, Manns could end up as WR. Strange, Johnson and the new Florida guy are likely redshirts. Does Cotton join them? You have Taylor, Crouch, Pali as JUCOs. And Pollard as a transfer. I think I see Thomas, Pali, Cardwell and Pollard as starters.

As improved as this unit is if there isn't a pass rush or the we can't slow the other teams running game this unit's true talent.

Happy anniversary to your wife and you!
07-18-2011 10:32 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Better play by the front 7 will result in more INT's by the DB's. More obvious passing situations, more QB's feeling the heat of a pass rush, etc.. It all adds up.

Perhaps the best addition to the DB's this year will be the new DE, Henderson.
07-18-2011 10:42 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I have two points:

1). There are so many players back there that the starters almost certainly are going to be good players. Pollard, LThomas, Rose, etc. should be key players.

2). I hope there isn't problems with some players who will get a LOT less PT then they might have thought say 6 months ago. If there is roster turnover this year I would expect it to be in position where returning players are losing PT to newcomers. Some could go from being on the 2-deeps to not making the travel squad.
07-18-2011 10:43 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(07-18-2011 10:42 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Better play by the front 7 will result in more INT's by the DB's. More obvious passing situations, more QB's feeling the heat of a pass rush, etc.. It all adds up.

Perhaps the best addition to the DB's this year will be the new DE, Henderson.

This will be tough to figure.

Better pass rush by Henderson, better LB play by the newcomers, better DB play by the returnees and newcomers in the secondary.

Truly where all three parts: DL, LB and DB could be much improved.
07-18-2011 10:45 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I can wait until the DL is posted but remember this DL unit tied Buffalo for last in sacks last year. And again why would you pass against EMU when you can run successfully.
07-18-2011 11:19 AM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
Exclamation RE: 2011 Football: The DB's
(07-18-2011 11:19 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I can wait until the DL is posted but remember this DL unit tied Buffalo for last in sacks last year. And again why would you pass against EMU when you can run successfully.

I think these are great talking points for everyone. The tires will meet the road in August. This is when it will become real to everyone involved. With the newcomer into the program. The special will be better in kick-off and return (Reed, Scott) The LB's will be better with the JUCO's and the DB will be better with the returnee's (I am still wondering what are the thoughts on moving Cotton to LB and Reed to DB or wideout).

The DL will be the key to if the defense will get better. If we are have 3rd and short in games. We are f@cked!!!! Hendersen will help a lot.
07-18-2011 06:15 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I agree with Pudge.

I'd like to repeat something I posted in another thread.

I estimate that say 30 newcomers will play in '11. That is a very high number. And it is a very solid number, almost none of the 30 are 'reaches' where the coaches need to play a frosh who is not ready.

One transfer - Pollard. Fifteen redshirt frosh. Approximately seven JUCOs, I believe all defenders. And say six to eight true frosh.

BTW, if memory serves me right, there were about 13 or 14 seniors out there for "Senior Day."

Sounds like one team which will be much, much deeper in '11 and going forward.
07-18-2011 06:33 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
I think the number will be around 20, I am thinking that RE was so pissed at the defense that he commited to overhauling the defensive side of the ball. This is good because now you will have players working in the weighroom to get time on the field. The weigh room was very busy over the winter and into the spring. Freshmen will fill holes to show their abilities for coaches..

RE lasts 2 recruiting classes will bring a swag and fighting side to them. If you look at the kids he brought in they are not choir-boys, they have some punch you in the face attitudes (at least I hope)
07-20-2011 03:34 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I've really enjoyed these KPJ and hope you'll continue posting the other positions. You've done an excellent job so far and I know its alot of work. I'm sure all the fans on this board appreciate it!
07-29-2011 07:48 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

(07-29-2011 07:48 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I've really enjoyed these KPJ and hope you'll continue posting the other positions. You've done an excellent job so far and I know its alot of work. I'm sure all the fans on this board appreciate it!

I feel the nudge... I'm on it...
07-29-2011 09:40 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, am I right that Rouse isn't on the roster or coming but instead the DL McFarlane from Florida did come?
07-29-2011 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.