Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama praises New York on same-sex marriage but won't endorse it
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

By James Oliphant June 29, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

While saying that gays and lesbians deserve to be “treated like all Americans,” President Obama at a press conference Wednesday came short of endorsing gay marriage.

“I’m not going to make news on that today,” Obama joked in response to a question on where he stands on the issue. (Laughter)
06-29-2011 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Obama praises New York on same-sex marriage but won't endorse it
He's playing political games.
06-29-2011 01:12 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
It's just like the NLRB case vs. Boeing. He wants to avoid taking a position. This will make him look weak and neither side will care for him in the end.
06-29-2011 01:18 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(06-29-2011 01:12 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  He's playing political games.

It's Obama... Political games is about all he has...
06-29-2011 01:18 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
he's playing politics...he knows he's done enough to ensure he gets the gay vote...but he can still claim he is opposed to homosexual marriage to the "traditional family" types.

from now on, everything is gear-up for 2012.
06-29-2011 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(06-29-2011 01:20 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  he's playing politics...he knows he's done enough to ensure he gets the gay vote...but he can still claim he is opposed to homosexual marriage to the "traditional family" types.

from now on, everything is gear-up for 2012.

Weren't you one of the biggest HopeChangers on the board in '08? I see you've at least come to the realization that O is just the same as most other politicians.
06-29-2011 01:28 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
I really like Obama...but I'm not going to pretend he's perfect...I don't like his politicking on gay marriage or his stance on gun rights...but he's pretty much stayed out of those debates and taken a "pick your battles" type mentality.
06-29-2011 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2011 01:35 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  I really like Obama...but I'm not going to pretend he's perfect...I don't like his politicking on gay marriage or his stance on gun rights...but he's pretty much stayed out of those debates and taken a "pick your battles" type mentality.

I support Obama as well, but there are instances when I disagree with him completely, and this is one of those moments.

It's clear he's made a political calculation of one of the following:

1 - his support of gay marriage would do more harm than good at this point.

Possibly true; many Libertarian and Tea Party types who really don't care about gay marriage, or who even support it as a states rights or individual liberty issue, loathe Obama. Would his support for Gay Marriage make the issue more about Obama and less about marriage equality, and if so would that generate more passionate opposition from those who currently are mainly on the sidelines? Who knows. Public opinion in support of gay marriage is steadily rising; introducing an unknown calculus - Obama's specific support - could change that. Maybe it helps, maybe it hurts.

2 - He feels his re-election chances could be damaged by supporting gay marriage, and if he's not re-elected then he won't be in position to advance gay rights.

Possibly true; many in the Hispanic and African-American communities are staunchly opposed to gay marriage; but would they abandon Obama in numbers sufficient to harm his election chances?

I think the answer to both of these questions ultimately is NO - that leadership from the White House would only help change the cultural tide in favor of gay marriage, and that his support would not harm his re-election chances. And the time has come for him to stand up for what is right - it's a matter of simple equality - and let the political chips fall where they may.
06-29-2011 01:48 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Obama has actually been pretty consistent on this issue for a while now. Even before he was elected to US senate he said that he supported gay marriage but would only leave it to the states to decide.
06-29-2011 01:59 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
No need for the Big O to step on this mine in the mine field. I love how he's beating the GOP with the ol' rope a dope. 05-stirthepot
06-29-2011 02:11 PM
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2011 02:11 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  I love how he's beating the GOP with the ol' rope a dope. 05-stirthepot

We'll see. The end results are what is ultimately important.

But I'd love a principled stand on what is right.
06-29-2011 02:14 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-29-2011 02:11 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  No need for the Big O to step on this mine in the mine field. I love how he's beating the GOP with the ol' rope a dope. 05-stirthepot
1. What does "this mine" symbolize? The politics of "gay marriage"? Most liberals are now coming out in the open on this issue, convinced that the politics are in their favor. But maybe Obama knows something this fellow-liberals don't.

2. And anyway --purely from the standpoint of votes gained and votes lost -- Obama has already lost every vote he can lose on this issue. He might as well "step on this mine" and gain all the votes of the people who do agree him.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2011 02:34 PM by Native Georgian.)
06-29-2011 02:32 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(06-29-2011 02:32 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-29-2011 02:11 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  No need for the Big O to step on this mine in the mine field. I love how he's beating the GOP with the ol' rope a dope. 05-stirthepot
1. What does "this mine" symbolize? The politics of "gay marriage"? Most liberals are now coming out in the open on this issue, convinced that the politics are in their favor. But maybe Obama knows something this fellow-liberals don't.

2. And anyway --purely from the standpoint of votes gained and votes lost -- Obama has already lost every vote he can lose on this issue. He might as well "step on this mine" and gain all the votes of the people who do agree him.

I don't think Gay Marriage will win or lose the election for him. I'm sure we all hope the avg. person would not vote based on such a small issue. The mine he needs to step on is the one marked "Economy". 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2011 03:06 PM by cb4029.)
06-29-2011 03:05 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(06-29-2011 03:05 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  
(06-29-2011 02:32 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

I don't think Gay Marriage will win or lose the election for him. I'm sure we all hope the avg. person would not vote based on such a small issue. The mine he needs to step on is the one marked "Economy". 04-cheers

BOOM
06-29-2011 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.