Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maryland Becomes First State to Require Environmental Literacy
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

In an historic vote today, the Maryland State Board of Education provided specific guidance to all public schools to require that each student be environmentally literate before he or she graduates from high school. The vote cements Maryland as the first state in the country to approve a graduation requirement in environmental literacy, a credit to Governor O’Malley, to board members, and to Dr. Nancy Grasmick, State Superintendent of Schools.

“This is a momentous day not only for Maryland but for educators across the country who are watching what Maryland does, and hoping to increase outdoor learning in their states, “said Don Baugh, director of the No Child Left Inside Coalition (NCLI). “ Governor O’Malley and Dr. Grasmick deserve our profound gratitude. For years they have put Maryland at the forefront of the environmental education movement.”

The state school board vote clarifies for schools that each child must receive a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary environmental education that meets the approval of the State Superintendent of Schools. Regulations given final approval by the board provide critical flexibility and oversight for school systems as they develop effective environmental literacy programs aligned with the Maryland State Environmental Literacy Standards.

While many exemplary environmental education programs already exist in some Maryland schools not all students have access to these programs. That can occur when schools feel compelled to emphasize math and reading instruction over science and other subjects because of the 2002 federal No Child Left Behind law.

With today’s vote school districts must now move beyond standard science courses that provide minimal focus on the environment. The Maryland State Department of Education has established two workgroups to begin revising and aligning Maryland environmental literacy standards, and developing guidelines to provide school systems with guidance and support for implementation.

Today’s vote was the culmination of several years of work. In 2008 Governor O’Malley appointed a special task force to explore how to improve and expand environmental education in the state. Last fall the state board approved an environmental literacy regulation based on the task force’s recommendations. But language in the draft regulation prompted concerns that school districts might be able to meet the new regulations by simply offering existing science and math courses.

Superintendent Grasmick and several school board members quickly reassured the coalition that their intention was to strengthen environmental education, and to require students be environmental literate to graduate. Today’s vote formalizes that understanding.

“This is a defining moment for education in Maryland,” said Governor O’Malley. “By approving this environmental graduation requirement, the Board of Education is ensuring that our young people graduate with a keen understanding of and connection to the natural world. Only through exposure to nature and education about our fragile ecosystem can we create the next generation of stewards. ”

Today’s board vote positions Maryland—and any other state with a strong environmental literacy plan—to potentially receive federal funding. States sometimes lack resources for staff training in environmental education. Draft legislation called the No Child Left Inside Act soon to be reintroduced in Congress would help provide some federal funding. The bill could be introduced in the near future.

“The No Child Left Inside Act would increase environmental education opportunities for students across the country,” said Congressman John Sarbanes of Maryland, author of the bill. “Such opportunities are essential to grow the next generation of scientists, promote environmental stewardship, and encourage Americans to live healthier lifestyles.”

Studies show environmental education has a measurable, positive impact on student achievement not only in science but in math, reading, and social studies. Business leaders also increasingly believe an environmentally literate workforce is critical in a burgeoning green economy. Field experiences and related activities, when part of the regular school curriculum in environmental education, also help students become healthier.

The No Child Left Inside Coalition is a national partnership of over 2,000 business, health, youth, faith, recreational, environmental, and educational groups representing over 50 million Americans. The chapter in Maryland has over 225 group members, and represents over 635,000 Marylanders
06-27-2011 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: Maryland Becomes First State to Require Environmental Literacy
They're welcome to come mow my lawn.
06-27-2011 12:48 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
"Environmentally literate" = Parrot what the environmental nazis want you to say and believe. Indoctrination 101. The usual AGW nonsense.

Before anybody jumps me on that statement, nobody that I know wants to live with pollution and no regulations. That is a strawman argument that is a non-starter but is often used by the mentally challenged when they've got nothing with which to argue.

Is this unprecedented? A state Board of Education essentially mandating WHAT to think in order to graduate? How about teaching students HOW to think critically? Can't do that - the students may actually see through the pablum they are being fed and wander off the reservation.......

Not surprising that it is coming out of Maryland. If somebody said it came from an eastern liberal state that begins with M, I would have said Massachusetts.

There are responsible environmentalists and then there are the eco-nuts. Two different groups and two separate agendas. One really cares about the environment and is responsible about looking at impacts to the economy and the nation. The other is simply about power over others and control. They use the environmental movement as cover for their real goals.
06-27-2011 12:54 PM
DrTorch Offline

I'm sure this is completely unrelated

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/ca...yroll.html
06-27-2011 01:34 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
You can add this to the 40 or 80 hours of community service some schools want kids to do during theie summer vacation.
06-27-2011 01:46 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
If they actually meant environment literacy I could care less but they dont...

This is a stalking horse for a leftist agenda. Kids will not learn complex environmental subjects they will watch an inconvenient truth and be forced to sign petitions..
06-27-2011 01:49 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(06-27-2011 12:54 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  "Environmentally literate" = Parrot what the environmental nazis want you to say and believe. Indoctrination 101. The usual AGW nonsense.

Before anybody jumps me on that statement, nobody that I know wants to live with pollution and no regulations. That is a strawman argument that is a non-starter but is often used by the mentally challenged when they've got nothing with which to argue.

Is this unprecedented? A state Board of Education essentially mandating WHAT to think in order to graduate? How about teaching students HOW to think critically? Can't do that - the students may actually see through the pablum they are being fed and wander off the reservation.......

Not surprising that it is coming out of Maryland. If somebody said it came from an eastern liberal state that begins with M, I would have said Massachusetts.

There are responsible environmentalists and then there are the eco-nuts. Two different groups and two separate agendas. One really cares about the environment and is responsible about looking at impacts to the economy and the nation. The other is simply about power over others and control. They use the environmental movement as cover for their real goals.

Likewise, there are businesses that are run in a responsible way, and then there are those that through greed, cut corners and damage the environment. I think the econuts are simply an overreaction to some businesses' overreaction in the other direction. An inevitable counterpoint.
06-27-2011 05:43 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Thank you....but...I'll just stick with them being literate.
06-27-2011 06:49 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(06-27-2011 06:49 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Thank you....but...I'll just stick with them being literate.

You should send that to the No Child Left Insane Act people.
06-27-2011 06:52 PM
Advertisement

Mr. Peanut Offline
Banned

I Root For: American Worker
Be afraid...be very afraid 01-wingedeagle
06-27-2011 06:56 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
I guess science classes are not covering indoctrination.
06-27-2011 09:55 PM
CountryRedHawk Offline
1st String

I Root For:
BTW, I work for Environment Maryland.... I just got home from spending 6 hours canvassing to try to get the Chesapeake Bay cleaned up.... not totally related, but sometimes it's good to raise awareness. Sometimes its not.
06-27-2011 10:38 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(06-27-2011 10:38 PM)CountryRedHawk Wrote:  BTW, I work for Environment Maryland.... I just got home from spending 6 hours canvassing to try to get the Chesapeake Bay cleaned up.... not totally related, but sometimes it's good to raise awareness. Sometimes its not.

If it's about cleaning up pollution, trash, etc., and preventing toxins from getting into the water supply, I'm down.

How much do you want to be this isn't that, but some bullsh*t global warming ploy?
06-28-2011 07:30 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(06-27-2011 10:38 PM)CountryRedHawk Wrote:  BTW, I work for Environment Maryland.... I just got home from spending 6 hours canvassing to try to get the Chesapeake Bay cleaned up.... not totally related, but sometimes it's good to raise awareness. Sometimes its not.

That's a bull**** organization, and a bull**** cause.

I've lived here for 15 years, and I know more about chemistry than most. The Chesapeake is all about politics. The Dems in this state have done more to exacerbate pollution than most, and they're happy to keep the problem around as long as it gets them money.
06-28-2011 07:53 AM
CountryRedHawk Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Torch, you don't have to tell me that. But, I'll spare you the Rap. 03-wink

I think it's a good cause, and you know damn well everything in the country is about politics.
06-28-2011 08:50 AM
DrTorch Offline

(06-28-2011 08:50 AM)CountryRedHawk Wrote:  Torch, you don't have to tell me that. But, I'll spare you the Rap. 03-wink

I think it's a good cause, and you know damn well everything in the country is about politics.

I live a mile (at most) from the Chesapeake. I went fishing farther south just on Sat.

Nothing real is being done to clean the Chesapeake. No testing, no hard data, no pilot plants. Nothing but people coming to my door and asking me to sign petitions. Nothing but fear-mongering about pfisteria breakouts and chicken farms.

So no, I don't agree that it's a good cause. It's a red-herring (pun intended) at best, a distraction from real problems. It's a ruse to throw at political opponents at worst; a progress blocker, even progress that would lead to cleaning up the Bay.

It pays your salary, I understand that. Does it improve the environment, or the lives of the citizens? Hell no.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2011 08:59 AM by DrTorch.)
06-28-2011 08:58 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
If this is what the voters of Maryland want, then have at it. If you feel that it infringes on your freedoms, then you should move out of the state. I think those who have the ability to move should leave most of the New England states, NY, MD, IL, DE, CA and any other state that is trying to use the government to push political ideologies, expand gov't power and/or tax the crap out of its citizens.

This is also precisely why I think the DOE should be abolished. Education is the realm of the states, and if one state is willing to enact a stupid law that people don't want to live under, those with means should be able to move out to neighboring states that have laws that better match your values. Those states that embrace freedom will benefit while those that are more restrictive will suffer. Who is John Gault?
06-28-2011 09:28 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Is the Maryland State Board of Education an elected body?
06-28-2011 10:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.