Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: ? for you photography buffs
Bookmark and Share
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
OT: ? for you photography buffs
A couple of months back I bought a new lap top and just recently after taking some photos with my old sony digital camera (bought over a decade ago) I tried to send them to my laptop. My new laptop and old camera aren't speaking to each other. Sony has no updates to allow my old camera's pictures to be downloaded to this new laptop.

Any suggestions? The camera still works great and I hate the idea of buying a new camera.

If I have no other choice, what are your suggestions for an inexpensive replacement camera?
06-25-2011 01:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
RE: OT: ? for you photography buffs
(06-25-2011 01:31 AM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  A couple of months back I bought a new lap top and just recently after taking some photos with my old sony digital camera (bought over a decade ago) I tried to send them to my laptop. My new laptop and old camera aren't speaking to each other. Sony has no updates to allow my old camera's pictures to be downloaded to this new laptop.

Any suggestions? The camera still works great and I hate the idea of buying a new camera.

If I have no other choice, what are your suggestions for an inexpensive replacement camera?

When you right click the old photos and click "properties" what kind of file does it say they are?
06-25-2011 05:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
I'm partial to Canon cameras I think they understand lenses better than most companies.

I would recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX...510&sr=8-2

I have a Canon G9 which is a more expensive model but my cousin bought the above Powershot and I was impressed with how well it compared.

There are several of the powershot series would be a nice camera and run about $200. If you have been using a decade old camera I think you will be thrilled with the powershots. 04-jawdrop

If $200 is more than you were looking for then my Mom had luck with a Sony Cybershot for under $100. I was impressed with it for what it was.

If you have 2-3 cameras that you are comparing I would strongly recommend going to flickr and typing in that camera so that you can look at pictures taken by that camera. After looking at enough pictures you will get a feel for which one is the best for the money.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2011 06:38 AM by Hilltopper2K.)
06-25-2011 06:12 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
If you digital camera is more than a decade old I would recommend upgrading even if you can get it to work and talk with your computer. With the way prices have come down on digital technology you can get a really good compact digital camera in the $100 to $200 range.

IMO Canon makes the best compact digital cameras. However, I own and will always own Nikon products on the DSLR level.
06-25-2011 08:26 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(06-25-2011 01:31 AM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  A couple of months back I bought a new lap top and just recently after taking some photos with my old sony digital camera (bought over a decade ago) I tried to send them to my laptop. My new laptop and old camera aren't speaking to each other. Sony has no updates to allow my old camera's pictures to be downloaded to this new laptop.

Maybe you can get an Eye-Fi Card from Best Buy and communicate to each device through your wireless network, if you have a wireless network.
06-25-2011 09:31 AM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(06-25-2011 08:26 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  However, I own and will always own Nikon products on the DSLR level.

04-rock
06-25-2011 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

Do you have a card reader?
I would imagine that camera is writing the images to a flash card of some type.
06-25-2011 10:57 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

(06-25-2011 10:54 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(06-25-2011 08:26 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  However, I own and will always own Nikon products on the DSLR level.

04-rock

04-cheers 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
06-25-2011 04:06 PM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

My first was a Nikon FA....with that fast shutter speed, and awesome metering!
I bought it while in college with a student loan. The Nikon 2020 was just coming out....but I didn't trust that new 'auto focus'.
06-25-2011 04:31 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(06-25-2011 10:57 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  

Do you have a card reader?
I would imagine that camera is writing the images to a flash card of some type.

That was also my thought; most laptops have a multi-card reader capability and the camera images are most likely stored on a card.
06-25-2011 04:35 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

How are the two connected? By USB? Likely the software isn't compatible (you seem to know that).

Unless your camera is a 3.5" floppy drive Sony Mavica from the late 90's, it should use a Sony Memory Stick, which can be read by any built-in card reader worth a damn, or an external USB dongle.

Basically, "what that guy above me said". . .
06-25-2011 04:44 PM
Advertisement

SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
Essentially, you need to get the images off your camera, beit onto a memory/flash card, a memory stick, something...just get them off the camera onto some memory transfer device. Heck, take the camera to a photo processing place (Wal-green's, CVS, Wal-Mart, Sam's, etc.) and ask them to make the transfer onto a CD or DVD. Then you can put the photos on your computer. These are JPEG images and your new computer will read them...those images just need to get there, and NOT via your camera.

After that, take your trusty old digital camera and gently put it away on a shelf in a closet (show respect). Then get a new one.
06-25-2011 06:52 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

thanks for all the advice, I hate putting aside something that works, even if it is over a decade old, having used it on a trip to Australia years ago, tailgating, bowl trips, and other events. My camera uses an old memory stick and doing some additional research I think I've found what i need to continue to use it - we'll see. If it doesn't work, I'll likely be going with new camera in the $200-300 range.
06-25-2011 08:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

TCUFrog is absolutely correct. For the small, compact cameras, look at Canon.
The other day, a co-worker brought in some shots that he had taken of the Grand Canyon. I don't know which Canon it was, but a photographer friend and I were looking at 4 MB images that just floored us. The detail was stunning!
06-26-2011 12:01 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

(06-26-2011 12:01 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  TCUFrog is absolutely correct. For the small, compact cameras, look at Canon.
The other day, a co-worker brought in some shots that he had taken of the Grand Canyon. I don't know which Canon it was, but a photographer friend and I were looking at 4 MB images that just floored us. The detail was stunning!

I have a Canon Powershot SD1400IS Digital that I bought about a year ago. I only use it when I go out with friends, to sporting events, or for some long hikes that I don't want the extra weight of a DSLR. I have been very happy with it, even when you look at the pictures in larger sizes. I think it was about $180 when I got it last year.

My DSLR is a Nikon D90 03-cloud9
06-26-2011 06:33 AM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

Having a 13 year old daughter, I envy that 'movie mode'.

I have the D300....a bit dated now, but with the 70-200 lens....it's a really good combo, especially with portraits. The 200 end is a bit weak for sports, but I it's fun trying.
06-26-2011 10:05 AM
Advertisement

NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

I Root For: FAU
I agree with the card reader device, that is the best way to go!

and I agree with the Nikons too!
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2011 02:20 PM by NCowl.)
06-26-2011 02:18 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I just want to thank everyone for their input again. After your input, I did some research and ordered a Sony Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer. It came today and works like a charm and will hopefully extend the useful life of my old sony camera.
06-30-2011 07:58 PM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

There's nothing wrong with a 'older' camera....nothing at all. IMO, my camera takes good pics.....and as long as the camera's circuitry stays in tact, it will take those same good pics, 30 years from now.
06-30-2011 08:26 PM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy
Ditto about those who said to get the images onto a card, then transfer them to your computer or a (DVD). never use the USB picture transfer method (camera to PC). Just save the pics to a card, stick the card in your PC and move (or copy) the files. Much quicker.

When choosing a new camera, stick with a company that makes cameras - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, even Sony (some of which was formerly Minolta). Get one with little or no shutter lag; one with a lithium-ion battery (not AAs or AAAs); high ISO option (for dark situations where you can't use flash); consider one that allows for an external flash to be added; one that has a view finder as well as an LCD screen (turn off the LCD ad frame the image with the view finder, saving battery); good quality video that allows quiet zooming while filming; one that accepts SD (cheaper) cards; one that offers a true wide angle lens (most don't); large LCD screen, etc.

I prefer a DSLR (Rebels are great), but like to have a P&S model on hand for social and grab shots, and for use out in the boat.
07-01-2011 12:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.