Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This is what pisses me off about Atheists
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
This is what pisses me off about Atheists
...and pretty much every other "special interest group".

Quote:New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

A group of New York City atheists is demanding that the city remove a street sign honoring seven firefighters killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks because they say the sign violates the separation of church and state.

The street, “Seven in Heaven Way,” was officially dedicated last weekend in Brooklyn outside the firehouse where the firefighters once served. The ceremony was attended by dozens of firefighters, city leaders and widows of the fallen men.

“There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain,” said Ken Bronstein, president of New York City Atheists. “It’s really insulting to us.” Bronstein told Fox News Radio that his organization was especially concerned with the use of the word “heaven.” “We’ve concluded as atheists there is no heaven and there’s no hell,” he said.

[url=A group of New York City atheists is demanding that the city remove a street sign honoring seven firefighters killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks because they say the sign violates the separation of church and state.

The street, “Seven in Heaven Way,” was officially dedicated last weekend in Brooklyn outside the firehouse where the firefighters once served. The ceremony was attended by dozens of firefighters, city leaders and widows of the fallen men.

“There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain,” said Ken Bronstein, president of New York City Atheists. “It’s really insulting to us.” Bronstein told Fox News Radio that his organization was especially concerned with the use of the word “heaven.” “We’ve concluded as atheists there is no heaven and there’s no hell,” he said.

---MORE---
06-21-2011 03:29 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: This is what pisses me off about Atheists
Quote:“There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain,” said Ken Bronstein, president of New York City Atheists.

That is not what the Constitution says.
06-21-2011 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I'll agree he's wrong if you agree somebody raising hell over saying the pledge without "Under God" is also wrong.

04-deal
06-21-2011 03:41 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I'm an athiest and I'm not insecure enough to let this bother me. But I will say this, there probably would have been less outrage if the street had some name referring to Islam.

Quote:“We’ve concluded as atheists there is no heaven and there’s no hell,” he said.

This is what really pisses me off. Even though I'm not a believer, this guy would limit my choices because "We've Concluded." "We" didn't, "They" did. What an arrogant f'cker.

I hate shitbags like this.
06-21-2011 03:48 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(06-21-2011 03:41 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I'll agree he's wrong if you agree somebody raising hell over saying the pledge without "Under God" is also wrong.

04-deal

As an athiest, I see nothing wrong with respecting the values this country was founded on even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them to a T.
06-21-2011 03:49 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(06-21-2011 03:48 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  I'm an athiest and I'm not insecure enough to let this bother me. But I will say this, there probably would have been less outrage if the street had some name referring to Islam.

Quote:“We’ve concluded as atheists there is no heaven and there’s no hell,” he said.

This is what really pisses me off. Even though I'm not a believer, this guy would limit my choices because "We've Concluded." "We" didn't, "They" did. What an arrogant f'cker.

You mean like building a mosque at ground zero that wasn't at ground zero and there was already a mosque at ground zero drew no outrage?

C'mon man! LOL

The stupid part is that if there is no Heaven (and no hell) then how is the sign religious? And isn't it just a honorary title for the street and not a renaming anyway?

But once again, the seperation of church and state is only to prevent the government from establishing a state religion. Clearly this sign does nothing of the sort.
06-21-2011 03:53 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(06-21-2011 03:53 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  But once again, the seperation of church and state is only to prevent the government from establishing a state religion. Clearly this sign does nothing of the sort.

Wow, one liberal gets it.
06-21-2011 03:58 PM
Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(06-21-2011 03:53 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(06-21-2011 03:48 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  I'm an athiest and I'm not insecure enough to let this bother me. But I will say this, there probably would have been less outrage if the street had some name referring to Islam.

You mean like building a mosque at ground zero that wasn't at ground zero and there was already a mosque at ground zero drew no outrage?

C'mon man! LOL

The stupid part is that if there is no Heaven (and no hell) then how is the sign religious? And isn't it just a honorary title for the street and not a renaming anyway?

But once again, the seperation of church and state is only to prevent the government from establishing a state religion. Clearly this sign does nothing of the sort.

That mosque thing was a matter of principle against the thought of flag planting by our enemies and their insistance on doing it knowing it was in very poor taste and insensitive. I agree with the rest of what you said.
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

Does that mean they have also concluded that there is no God, as atheists, by definition, I guess, they have concluded there is no God. And if so, there must also not be any evil or good. No truth, no lie. Don't Atheists have to evaluate the full impact of God before you could conclude God does not exist. Atheistism growing by leaps and bounds.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 04:01 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Thank god for atheists.

But seriously, I think that group has way too much time on their hands if they're offended by something like that. They must be offended by just about everything.
06-21-2011 04:08 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
I don't really care about this argument at all.. but it always throws me off when someone suggests Atheists or Agnostics don't believe in doing good just because they don't believe in a god.

The idea that a Christian thinks you need a God to tell you to be a good person is just frightening as hell.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 04:09 PM by HuskieFan84.)
06-21-2011 04:09 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I don't believe the continent of Atlantis ever existed, therefore I object to publicly-funded NASA naming a space shuttle after it. 03-melodramatic

There are plenty of instances where I can understand where the atheists are coming from, such as in the Pledge of Allegiance thread. But for some things (like this case)... it isn't so much that they're being "insulted" as it is a desire to create confrontation out of spite and petty grudges. It's equivalent to calling the cops on someone driving 71 mph on a 70 mph speed limit highway.

If you want any respect, you choose your battles wisely and apply common sense to situations.
06-21-2011 04:40 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I ask that everyone who prays to a deity of their choice differentiate between Atheists and "Yay"theist, in the same way that I differentiate between those who peacefully accept religion, and those who corrupt the practice.
06-21-2011 04:41 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(06-21-2011 04:41 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I ask that everyone who prays to a deity of their choice differentiate between Atheists and "Yay"theist, in the same way that I differentiate between those who peacefully accept religion, and those who corrupt the practice.

I can live with that.
06-21-2011 05:15 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I understand that Atheism isn't a religion, but why do they get to have it their way, and everyone else can't?

05-stirthepot
06-21-2011 07:09 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(06-21-2011 07:09 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  I understand that Atheism isn't a religion, but why do they get to have it their way, and everyone else can't?

05-stirthepot

Because it's what the ACLU wants.
06-21-2011 07:42 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Cosmic slop is cosmic slop. It is of no value and is useless.
06-21-2011 07:44 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(06-21-2011 03:58 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

C'mon man! LOL

That mosque thing was a matter of principle against the thought of flag planting by our enemies and their insistance on doing it knowing it was in very poor taste and insensitive. I agree with the rest of what you said.

Enemies?

Dude, they're still Americans!

And our Constitution provides them their freedom to worship wherever they choose as it does for me.
06-22-2011 11:56 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(06-22-2011 11:56 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

C'mon man! LOL

Enemies?

And our Constitution provides them their freedom to worship wherever they choose as it does for me.

Americans can't be enemies? There are many here including in high positions.

And maybe you missed the thread about churches that can't rent schools on the weekends. Or you might try this. Go into a Mosque to worship. Good luck with that.
06-23-2011 06:51 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(06-23-2011 06:51 AM)Paul M Wrote:  
(06-22-2011 11:56 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

C'mon man! LOL

Enemies?

Or you might try this. Go into a Mosque to worship. Good luck with that.

To worship what?

If you mean as a Christian, why would I enter a mosque to worship Jesus Christ anyway?
06-23-2011 08:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.