Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New congressional district map sent to Gov. Rick Perry
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
New congressional district map sent to Gov. Rick Perry
Whenever Discovery Channel needs another episode of "Bait Car", they go to Sheila Jackson Lee (D-umb) district. All the while, Sheila Jackson Lee is still looking for the flag that Neil Armstrong planted on Mars.

New congressional district map sent to Gov. Perry

By JIM VERTUNO Associated Press 2011 The Associated Press
June 20, 2011, 3:21PM

AUSTIN, Texas — The Republican-controlled Texas Senate approved a new congressional district map for the state Monday and sent it to Gov. Rick Perry for his approval.

The map was drawn to reflect population changes and increases during the past 10 years as measured by last year's Census, but also with the goal of protecting and possibly expanding the GOP's 23-9 majority in Texas' delegation in Washington.

The new map adds four seats to reflect population growth. More than 87 percent of the state's growth has been among minorities, and activists have called for more representation for those groups.

The map was approved 19-12 along party lines and without debate. Democrats have complained the new map violates the federal Voting Rights Act by splitting Latino and black communities and diluting their voting power.

If Perry, a Republican, signs the map into law, it will go to the Department of Justice for review. The Voting Rights Act requires Texas to make sure the map does not diminish minority representation.
Groups opposing the map can file lawsuits in federal court, where alternative maps can be introduced and considered by the judge. Republicans have said they expect multiple lawsuits.

Democrats have complained the map splits the Austin area into five different districts, denying the most Democratic part of the state a single seat and making it difficult for U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett to get re-elected.
Monday's vote was quiet compared to the redistricting fight of 2003 when then-U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay led a Republican power play to break Democrats' hold on the delegation.

The struggle prompted two walkouts by legislative Democrats to Ardmore, Okla., and Albuquerque, New Mex., before Republicans succeeded.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 10:09 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
06-21-2011 10:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
RE: New congressional district map sent to Gov. Rick Perry
You should see what the legislature did to Travis County(Austin). They split us up 5 ways. It will never pass the courts.
06-21-2011 10:12 AM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Splitting Travis Co. five different ways is a big mistake.
06-21-2011 10:12 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(06-21-2011 10:12 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Splitting Travis Co. five different ways is a big mistake.

Yup, it would mean that Travis County wouldn't have a representative in congress. The closest resident would be Mike McCaul(nice guy BTW) and he lives in Georgetown(the northern most suburb of Austin) about 20-30 miles from the city. Other than him, the closest would be in San Antonio.
06-21-2011 10:14 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(06-21-2011 10:12 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  You should see what the legislature did to Travis County(Austin). They split us up 5 ways. It will never pass the courts.

5 ways to Sunday, I thought that always worked.
06-21-2011 10:17 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
Dont you mean six ways to Sunday?
06-21-2011 11:02 AM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Online
Legend

(06-21-2011 10:12 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  You should see what the legislature did to Travis County(Austin). They split us up 5 ways. It will never pass the courts.
It may pass the courts or it may not; but either way I think it is against the public interest.

The pro-Democrat Texas gerrymander of 1992 set a new standard for its use of state-of-the-art (for that time) computer programming and demographic analysis. It managed to create a map that elected 22 Democrats to Congress, and only 8 Republicans that year, even though Republican candidates got more votes statewide. A truly remarkable achievement, although the demographic tides were running so strongly in the GOP's direction that it just couldn't last for long. From 22-8 Democrat to 23-9 Republican in 18 years. Quite a turnaround.
06-21-2011 11:10 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
I am going to guess iit eliminate just about every remaining democratic congressional district.
06-21-2011 11:47 AM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

(06-21-2011 12:26 PM)I45owl Wrote:  [Image: newdistricts.gif]
I45, do you know a link where I can see the proposed new Houston-area districts?
06-21-2011 03:03 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(06-21-2011 10:14 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  ...and he lives in Georgetown(the northern most suburb of Austin) about 20-30 miles from the city.

OT: Looking at a job in Georgetown. I've driven through (Austin to Waco), but how crappy would traffic be if I tried to live in Austin? (I'm getting way ahead of myself.)
06-21-2011 03:35 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(06-21-2011 03:03 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I45, do you know a link where I can see the proposed new Houston-area districts?

Yes: http://images.google.com/

Actually, I'm not sure about the above map. I didn't really check out the website to make sure it was posted recently. This one seems to be more likely...

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-redist...roves-map/
[Image: PLANC130_jpg_800x1000_q100.jpg]
06-21-2011 04:08 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(06-21-2011 03:03 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-21-2011 12:26 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
I45, do you know a link where I can see the proposed new Houston-area districts?

The image I posted previously was from 2006.

I apologize for the confusion. The one posted here should be more accurate.
06-21-2011 04:17 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(06-21-2011 03:35 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  
(06-21-2011 10:14 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  ...and he lives in Georgetown(the northern most suburb of Austin) about 20-30 miles from the city.

OT: Looking at a job in Georgetown. I've driven through (Austin to Waco), but how crappy would traffic be if I tried to live in Austin? (I'm getting way ahead of myself.)

If you live in Austin and work in Georgetown be prepared to spend at least 2-3 hours a day in traffic or spend 5 bucks a day on tolls.
06-21-2011 04:45 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

(06-21-2011 04:08 PM)I45owl Wrote:  This one seems to be more likely...

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-redist...roves-map/
There is an interesting quote from a spokesman for Ron Paul, to the effect that even though Paul's district would become much more pro-Democrat than it has been, Paul remains confident he would win there. This certainly suggests that Ron Paul intends to be the Congressman for TX-22 beyond his current term in office.
06-21-2011 04:46 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(06-21-2011 04:45 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

If you live in Austin and work in Georgetown be prepared to spend at least 2-3 hours a day in traffic or spend 5 bucks a day on tolls.

IMHO, Austin traffic is the worst in the state. Roads tend to be better maintained in Houston and even Dallas (and by roads, I mean highways), but on top of that, Austin traffic is very frustrating because everyone likes to drive side by side at the same speed, no matter what that speed is. I like to separate from the crowd when I'm on the highway but that's virtually impossible in Austin (I don't get patently offended if someone wants to drive faster than me, but I guess I'm a claustrophobic driver).
06-21-2011 05:18 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(06-21-2011 05:18 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(06-21-2011 04:45 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

IMHO, Austin traffic is the worst in the state. Roads tend to be better maintained in Houston and even Dallas (and by roads, I mean highways), but on top of that, Austin traffic is very frustrating because everyone likes to drive side by side at the same speed, no matter what that speed is. I like to separate from the crowd when I'm on the highway but that's virtually impossible in Austin (I don't get patently offended if someone wants to drive faster than me, but I guess I'm a claustrophobic driver).

I agree with you about the side by side part. That bugs the hell out of me. Im not gonna give Austin too much of a hard time about the roads(or lack thereof). The city exploded so quickly, and they are trying to catch up.
06-21-2011 06:57 PM
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I remember it sucking when I drove down from Waco, and the same when I went back up to Dallas. Definitely the worst I ran into on my trip along 45, 10 and 35. Houston was a bit better, actually. Thanks.

/OT
06-21-2011 07:05 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(06-21-2011 10:12 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Splitting Travis Co. five different ways is a big mistake.

Agree. Ought to let Lloyd Dogmeat have his safe seat in Travis just like they make similar accommodations for Sheila Jackson Lee in Harris County (Houston) and Eddie Burnice Johnson in Dallas
06-21-2011 08:46 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(06-21-2011 06:57 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I agree with you about the side by side part. That bugs the hell out of me. Im not gonna give Austin too much of a hard time about the roads(or lack thereof). The city exploded so quickly, and they are trying to catch up.

No doubt about that, though Austin has a hippie bent that makes me wonder if they aren't mucking up the works.

That said, Austin is a great city, hippies and all. If it weren't for the f'in cedar (actually, if it weren't for my allergies to it) I'd put a lot more thought towards moving there.
06-21-2011 08:52 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(06-21-2011 08:52 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(06-21-2011 06:57 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I agree with you about the side by side part. That bugs the hell out of me. Im not gonna give Austin too much of a hard time about the roads(or lack thereof). The city exploded so quickly, and they are trying to catch up.

No doubt about that, though Austin has a hippie bent that makes me wonder if they aren't mucking up the works.

That said, Austin is a great city, hippies and all. If it weren't for the f'in cedar (actually, if it weren't for my allergies to it) I'd put a lot more thought towards moving there.

There arent really any hippies in Austin anymore. There are really 5 subsections of this city. You have the creatives/entrepreneurs, the smelly hipster musicians, the hispanics, the regular Texans, and then everyone else(small minority of dirty hippies, a small black presence, Asian, etc).

All the hippies died out due to old age....even Lindsey is on his last legs.

Cedar Fever does suck.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 11:30 PM by aTxTIGER.)
06-21-2011 11:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.