Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mexico Drug War Spills Across US Border
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

Tuesday, 14 Jun 2011 06:34 PM By Jim Meyers

An eye-opening cover story in Newsmax magazine takes an in-depth look at the bloody drug wars raging along the treacherous U.S.-Mexico border and their devastating impact on ordinary Americans.

In a recent exclusive interview with Newsmax, former Mexican President Vicente Fox said bluntly his nation was at "war" with drug cartels.

“Everybody’s trying to deny that we’re going through a war, but that’s what it is," Fox told Newsmax.

“The Collapse of Mexico — Its Civil War Comes to America” discloses that the battle between ruthless Mexican drug cartels threatens to turn America’s southern neighbor into a failed nation-state — and has spilled deeper into U.S. territory than anyone has imagined.

The drug wars have claimed nearly 40,000 lives since 2006 in a nightmare of beheadings, mass graves, kidnappings, and endemic corruption at the highest levels of Mexican society, as cartels rake in an astronomical $12 billion a year in illicit revenue.

Newsmax spent two months conducting more than 20 interviews during visits to border areas in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, and found that despite the administration’s reassurances, Mexico’s drug cartels have penetrated deep into our nation’s heartland, striking fear in ordinary Americans.

Editor’s Note: Get the Full Report on the Borderline Battle, Click Here Now.

Even a Government Accountability Office official concedes that the United States can prevent or interrupt illegal entry along only 129 miles of our 1,954-mile southern border.

The must-read “Collapse of Mexico” report explores one couple’s deadly confrontation with Mexican smugglers, the truth behind President Obama’s border security rhetoric, the most worrisome sign of Mexico’s escalating chaos, and much more.

Pinal County Arizona Sheriff Paul Babeu praised Newsmax's journalism saying the special report "on the violence that ruthless Mexican cartels have brought into the border regions of the United States is invaluable. They are telling the real story about what's going on near and on the border, the story that the mainstream media just hasn't been willing to report."

Here are several excerpts from the cover story:

No one has to convince Pat and Pennee Murphree that the chaos on the border is spilling over into the United States. A few years ago, the Arizona couple in their 70s retired from their cotton-farming ranch in Maricopa, and built a dream home near the south end of the Sawtooth Mountain range, about 50 miles from the border.

At first, things seemed idyllic there. But gradually, they grew more aware of the traffic taking place all around them. Border crossers would knock on their door asking for food and water. Their fences would get knocked down by the trucks running with blacked-out headlights in the dark. Trucks loaded with illegals would caravan down dirt roads. When a prominent rancher, Rob Krentz, was shot and killed in March 2010, it was a shock to everyone in Arizona’s agricultural community.

But the situation didn’t really hit home for the Murphrees until a few months ago, when a neighbor alerted Pat to a spotter living in a cave on a mountainside about three-quarters of a mile away at an elevation about 800 feet above his house. An experienced hunter, Pat set up a spotter scope in his dining room. For days, he watched as the cartel operative conducted his surveillance. He even saw two other men arrive to deliver supplies.

Despite concerns the cartel could retaliate, he called the Border Patrol and the Pinal County Sheriff’s Department. A few days later, they arrested the drug scout and took him off the mountain. The suspect told police his car had broken down, and he had decided to live out in the desert for a few days.

Now every day, the Murphrees wonder if they’re being watched. They frequently carry guns, and the spotter scope has become a permanent fixture in their dining room. Every day, they use it to scan the mountain that towers above them. The beautiful mountain they chose for their retirement location instead has become a source of constant concern. It never occurred to them they could have this problem some 50 miles inside the U.S. border.

“It’s our own country, and we’re being invaded,” Pat Murphree says. “We pay our taxes . . . right now, you might say we’re protecting ourselves. And our government ought to be protecting us.”

The cartels run human trafficking with the same casual brutality they exhibit in the drug trade. Migrants heading north are encouraged to pay the cartel “coyotes” for safe passage. Getting caught in the desert without their protection is a really bad idea, and rapes and killings are common.

Smugglers crowd the illegals into trucks, throwing away their backpacks so they can stand shoulder to shoulder. Locals call them “French fry loads.”
Sheriffs say those who slow the group down — women, children — are left to die in the desert. And just as rival gangs, or “rip crews” as they’re called, try to steal the drug loads that come across, they also kidnap defenseless illegals at gunpoint. They hold them hostage in “drop houses” until they can persuade loved ones back in Mexico to raise another $2,000 or $3,000, in order to gain their freedom.

All of which calls into question the curious notion that maintaining a porous border with Mexico is an act of social justice and humanitarian good will.
Almost everywhere along the border, residents are gradually accepting a “new normal,” where the old assumptions of personal security and the rule of law no longer prevail. In Arizona, retirees open up their morning papers and routinely read of high-speed police chases and rolling gun battles between the drug gangs. These firefights occur not in Nogales or Tijuana or Ciudad Juarez, but north of Tucson, about 35 miles from the nation’s sixth largest city, Phoenix.

Fueled by a seemingly endless stream of money, the drug gangs appear to be growing more sophisticated with each passing month. In March, for example, illegals disguised as U.S. Marines, wearing desert camouflage uniforms and riding in a white van with military tags, tried to pass through the Campo checkpoint in California. Military uniforms seem appropriate considering that the cartels are believed to possess enough weapons to equip an army, including helicopters, armored vehicles, sniper rifles, shoulder-fired missiles, grenade launchers, and plastic explosives.

Nor are they content to ply their deadly trade only in North America. Cartel operatives were recently arrested in several overseas countries, a sure sign they’re expanding their business abroad.

Some analysts worry the cartels may be interacting with Hezbollah, the terrorist organization nurtured by Iran and Syria.

Michael Braun, former chief of operations for the Drug Enforcement Agency, tells Newsmax, “Late last year, the Mexican federal police arrested an alleged Hezbollah cell head who was running a recruiting cell” along the U.S. border. According to Braun, the United States has already arrested a number of Hezbollah operatives it believes were smuggled into this country by the Mexican drug cartels.

Law officers have received alerts from intelligence sources warning that the cartels may start booby-trapping their loads with improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the bombs that terrorists use to devastating effect against American forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. That concern grew less abstract on Easter Sunday.

An IED was discovered along Highway 77 near Brownsville, Texas. It took police about three hours to “render the device safe,” and an investigation is underway. All this underlines the 911 Commission’s worst-case scenario: Terrorists sneaking across the southern border to launch an attack, possibly using WMD.

Editor’s Note: Want to Know More? Get This Month’s Issue of Newsmax Magazine for Free.

Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Read more with links and pictures
06-15-2011 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Mexico Drug War Spills Across US Border
I realize that the War on Drugs is failing. I don't agree with a lot of the policies. We treat some drugs like they're a bigger problem/sin than they are, and we don't do enough to actively discourage use. And certainly it's a LOT more complicated than the usual "just legalize it and tax it" line that the burners always throw at me.

However Mexico is approaching outright failure; it's the main front in the War on Drugs, and we are losing. Badly. People are dying by the thousands there, and the drugs flow freely.

Meanwhile, at home, police have gone fully militarized, and the routine procedure is to kick the doors in unannounced and charge the premises, high-powered weapons at the ready. The Supreme Court has ruled that warrants are no longer even necessary to enter private residences if the police think something bad is going on inside. And most of our inner cities have become outright war zones.

If we legalized drugs completely, how could the consequences possibly be worse than this?
06-15-2011 11:29 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
Let me get this straght. A guy writing an opinion piece is writing about an opinion piece a while back from the same source he works for. Classic! 03-lmfao
06-15-2011 12:11 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(06-15-2011 12:11 PM)RobertN Wrote:  Let me get this straght. A guy writing an opinion piece is writing about an opinion piece a while back from the same source he works for. Classic! 03-lmfao

Rob, I'll tell you something that's not an opinion: I read the paper every day and there are usually at least 5 murders a day in Juarez, often more and most of them unnecessarily brutal - heads, hands and other body parts cut off, people hung from bridges, etc, and now they're targeting women and children either on purpose or by accident. Families are being killed wholesale just as payback. This is not opinion, it's a fact, and these are the people you libs want to give open access to our country through open borders.
06-15-2011 03:08 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(06-15-2011 12:11 PM)RobertN Wrote:  Let me get this straght. A guy writing an opinion piece is writing about an opinion piece a while back from the same source he works for. Classic! 03-lmfao

Roberta, you have not gotten anything straight since puberty.03-lmfao03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2011 03:24 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
06-15-2011 03:12 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Stay on target. STAY ON TARGET!

The war on drugs and the killings in Mexico are the conversation here, not the source of the information, nor the author, nor the intelligence of other posters.

This Spin Room is really going south with all the name calling. Christ-Onastick, use the damn ignore button if someone drives you nuts.
06-15-2011 03:15 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Quote:Mexican drug trafficking organizations make billions each year smuggling drugs into the United States, profiting enormously from the prohibitionist drug policies of the US government. Since Mexican president Felipe Calderon took office in December 2006 and called the armed forces into the fight against the so-called cartels, prohibition-related violence has killed more than 36,000 people, including more than 15,000 last year. The increasing militarization of the drug war and the arrest or killing of dozens of high-profile drug traffickers have failed to stem the flow of drugs -- or the violence -- whatsoever. The Merida initiative, which provides $1.4 billion over three years for the US to assist the Mexican government with training, equipment and intelligence, has so far failed to make a difference.
http://stopthedrugwar.com/chronicle/2011...war_update

36,000 murders since 2006 with 15,000 being killed last year alone. Would you feel safer behind a border wall with a moat, alligators, armed border agents and laser beams or open borders?
06-15-2011 03:24 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I wonder what legalizing drugs in Mexico would do to the situation? Assume the US still fights the War On Drugs up to the border. Does the situation in Mexico even change?
06-15-2011 03:33 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Why have one of our national parks been surrendered to the Mexican drug cartels.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, has surrendered, 3,500 acres in southern Arizona. It has now been closed to U.S. citizens because of the dangers posed in that area from Mexican drug smugglers. The area includes part of the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge.

Obabba leads from behind.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2011 03:35 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
06-15-2011 03:35 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(06-15-2011 03:24 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
Quote:Mexican drug trafficking organizations make billions each year smuggling drugs into the United States, profiting enormously from the prohibitionist drug policies of the US government. Since Mexican president Felipe Calderon took office in December 2006 and called the armed forces into the fight against the so-called cartels, prohibition-related violence has killed more than 36,000 people, including more than 15,000 last year. The increasing militarization of the drug war and the arrest or killing of dozens of high-profile drug traffickers have failed to stem the flow of drugs -- or the violence -- whatsoever. The Merida initiative, which provides $1.4 billion over three years for the US to assist the Mexican government with training, equipment and intelligence, has so far failed to make a difference.

36,000 murders since 2006 with 15,000 being killed last year alone. Would you feel safer behind a border wall with a moat, alligators, armed border agents and laser beams or open borders?

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly?"
06-15-2011 08:53 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Do I really need to post another long explanation about the cause and effects of prohibitions? Well...Ill just defer to this NewsMax article and save my fingertips the work.
06-15-2011 09:08 PM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(06-15-2011 03:35 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Why have one of our national parks been surrendered to the Mexican drug cartels.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, has surrendered, 3,500 acres in southern Arizona. It has now been closed to U.S. citizens because of the dangers posed in that area from Mexican drug smugglers. The area includes part of the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge.

Once again, you are full of **** with your continual ODS!
It was closed in October 2006
06-16-2011 07:28 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(06-16-2011 07:28 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(06-15-2011 03:35 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Why have one of our national parks been surrendered to the Mexican drug cartels.

In your mind, that it was closed under another Prez make the situation better.

Obabba could step the f'uck up and lead.

Americans are increasingly outgunned by the Narco-state cartels. They are using IED's and terrorist tactics. But to you, it's throw your hands us and say, What's a brother to do?
06-16-2011 10:30 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(06-15-2011 11:29 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I realize that the War on Drugs is failing. I don't agree with a lot of the policies. We treat some drugs like they're a bigger problem/sin than they are, and we don't do enough to actively discourage use. And certainly it's a LOT more complicated than the usual "just legalize it and tax it" line that the burners always throw at me.

However Mexico is approaching outright failure; it's the main front in the War on Drugs, and we are losing. Badly. People are dying by the thousands there, and the drugs flow freely.

Meanwhile, at home, police have gone fully militarized, and the routine procedure is to kick the doors in unannounced and charge the premises, high-powered weapons at the ready. The Supreme Court has ruled that warrants are no longer even necessary to enter private residences if the police think something bad is going on inside. And most of our inner cities have become outright war zones.

Put every one of those SWAT team members on a Megabus and have them head for the border. Tell them their job is to reign in the drug trade and associated gangs.

They've got the equipment, they talk the talk...let's see them do more than knock down doors of unsuspecting citizens.
06-16-2011 10:35 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(06-16-2011 10:30 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  

Americans are increasingly outgunned by the Narco-state cartels. They are using IED's and terrorist tactics. But to you, it's throw your hands us and say, What's a brother to do?

Okay...then I ask you yet again. What should he do to solve this problem that nobody else has been able to solve for the better part of a decade?

I'll go out on a limb and predict that you probably wouldn't like anything he tried anyway! 03-wink
06-16-2011 11:00 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

When border agents tried to step up enforcement, the courts sent them to jail for violating the civil rights of people in the country illegally (Bush commuted their sentences) And when Arizona tried to step up efforts to police the border, the Obama administration sued them for what? Violating the civil rights of people in the country illegally. While the Bush administration didn't solve the problem, it certainly acted as if it didn't agree with the courts... and took steps to mitigate that which they saw as "wrong". What appears to be the position of the Obama administration in that regard?

I find it hilarious that so many left-wingers, many of whom feel that Bush was one of the worst Presidents of all time, so quickly use him as the measuring stick for Obama.

What should he do? Not threaten to sue the states so directly impacted by the problem for taking non-lethal and only POTENTIALLY inconvenient steps to address the issue. How about THAT for starters? If he worries that the law is overly vague, help them "clean it up".
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2011 11:16 AM by Hambone10.)
06-16-2011 11:12 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-15-2011 03:24 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

Thanks Mr. Pizza man. 03-lmfao

Btw, I would feel safer if YOU left the country.
06-16-2011 11:56 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(06-16-2011 11:56 AM)RobertN Wrote:  Btw, I would feel safer if YOU left the country.

Why, my taxes pay for your security. And Mr. Pizza man????? I'd kill for a NY pizza right now. You probably like that thick Chicago junk. I guess it's what you grow up with....but the thin NY pizza is da bomb.
06-16-2011 12:04 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-16-2011 11:00 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(06-16-2011 10:30 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  

Okay...then I ask you yet again. What should he do to solve this problem that nobody else has been able to solve for the better part of a decade?

I'll go out on a limb and predict that you probably wouldn't like anything he tried anyway! 03-wink
Of course not because it would involve using tax money.
06-16-2011 12:04 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-16-2011 12:04 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(06-16-2011 11:56 AM)RobertN Wrote:  Btw, I would feel safer if YOU left the country.

Why, my taxes pay for your security. And Mr. Pizza man????? I'd kill for a NY pizza right now. You probably like that thick Chicago junk. I guess it's what you grow up with....but the thin NY pizza is da bomb.
Yes, that "solution" was from your hero Cain so stop pretending it was something original from your mind. There is NOTHING original that comes from YOUR mind(I am not even sure you have a mind). As for pizza, I like pizza. Thick like Chicago, thin like NY or anywhere in between.

Btw, I do like Chicago hot dogs better than NY hot dogs but the NY dogs aren't bad.
06-16-2011 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.