Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNT 2011 season prediction
Bookmark and Share
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
UNT 2011 season prediction
Season prediction for the Mean Green by The Fake Lonnie Finch. Posted on the Mean Green board. Fire away !

...but, I'm ready to make my 2011 season prediction anyway. Sue me.

Game #1 - @ FIU: Win. 1-0
In 2007, FUI had a new coach and we had a new coach. Now, in 2011, FUI has that same coach and we have a different coach. But, it's not that we just have a new head coach. We have a new defensive coordinator. And, we have a real special teams coach who wears pants for the special teams. FUI has excellent special teams, but our new coach will teach our guys to pants them.

Game #2 - HOUSTON: Lose. 1-1
This is the first home game at the new stadium. Houston has a surgically repaired QB and return their leading rusher and receiver. It will be too much. Just too much to ask of us.

Game #3 - @ Alabama: Lose. 1-2
Alabama is the same team as the Crimson Tide.

Game #4 - INDIANA: Win. 2-2
QB, gone. Top rusher, gone. Two of top three WRs, gone. I'm not really upset and crying about their losses. They are young and on the road for this one, their first game outside of Indiana with their new head coach and new offensive players. The only thing that won't be new to them is losing a game.

Game #5 - @ Tulsa: Lose. 2-3
Tulsa made a huge mistake by elevating Bill Blankenship to head coach after Todd Graham left for Pitt. But, there is enough talent returning on both sides of the ball - especially from a young 2010 defense that went on the road and beat Notre Dame - that even having Blankenship on the sideline won't hurt them in some games. However, I do feel there is a strong chance of a UNT "upset" here for head coaching reason alone.

Game #6 - FAU: Win. 3-3
Howard Schnellenberger is old, but rich; so, this loss to UNT won't really weigh on him too terribly much personally. His FAU team underachieved last year, and I think he may finally be on his last coaching legs at the age of 77. I really think this is his farewell tour. If not, FAU fans - all 16 of them - are going to have to get used to being upstaged annually by FIU in conference.

Game #7 - @ Lousiiana: Win. 4-3
I'm not really sold on ULL's pick for new head coach. Forgot his name already, didn't you? Mark Hudspeth. Yes, that Mark Hudpseth. The former Mississippi State pass game coordinator. He also coached a Division II team. To say that our hire was light years better than his is an understatement - it's like Obi Wan Kenobi versus the Stormtroopers asking Luke Skywalker questions in Tatooine.

Game #8 - ULM: Win. 5-3
I think at this point, being 3-0 and conference and having the new stadium will start to kick in. Our roll continues here. I like Todd Berry. But, look...they fired a coach who was better. Thankfully.

Game #9 - @ Arkansas State: Win. 6-3
They have a relatively new head coach who led them to a 4-8 record last year, and return Ryan Aplin, as good QB. But, really...they barely beat us last year (24-19) at a point when we were playing Chase Bain at QB. We were down to our third center and had injuries all around, and they still had to hang on to beat us. Dunbar racked them for 105 yards...Baine for 80! I'm sure our new coaching staff can handle this opposing group of coaches. I think about new DC Clint Bowen in these types of match ups.

Game #10 - @ Troy: Lose. 6-4
Troy is who we think they are - a team that recruits like an SEC team. Until someone truly knocks them out, they are the kings of the hill in the Sun Belt.

Game #11 - WESTERN KENTUCKY: Win. 7-4
This is a young team. I like their head coach. I just don't think WKU has the horses. We beat them last year with a terribly injury-riddled team on the road. I don't think their coach or coaching staff has the upside ours does.

Game #12 - MTSU: Win. 8-4
The Blue Raiders were as loaded as a Sun Belt team could get in 2010 and couldn't seal the deal. Part scandal and part choke, they'll be younger in 2011. We beat them last year on the road, and will do so again in 2011 to clinch the Sun Belt from Troy, who I predict will choke away their final game of 2011 on the road at Arkansas State to finish 6-2 in the Belt...one game behind our 7-1 mark.

Game #13 - NEW ORLEANS BOWL
Don't know who we play, and don't care if we win. I'll just be glad we're going back again!

THREAD WITH COMMENTS
http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/...-yet-here/
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 12:22 PM by MG61.)
06-07-2011 12:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
RE: UNT 2011 season prediction
ULM beat you guys by 12 last year towards the end of the season when we were very banged up and thin at certain spots. We are going to spank that tail again this year.

ULM all the way to the NO Bowl...better put your money down on that in Vegas fellas.
06-07-2011 02:18 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(06-07-2011 12:06 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Season prediction for the Mean Green by The Fake Lonnie Finch. Posted on the Mean Green board. Fire away !

In 2007, FUI had a new coach and we had a new coach. Now, in 2011, FUI has that same coach and we have a different coach. But, it's not that we just have a new head coach. We have a new defensive coordinator. And, we have a real special teams coach who wears pants for the special teams. FUI has excellent special teams, but our new coach will teach our guys to pants them.

This is the first home game at the new stadium. Houston has a surgically repaired QB and return their leading rusher and receiver. It will be too much. Just too much to ask of us.

QB, gone. Top rusher, gone. Two of top three WRs, gone. I'm not really upset and crying about their losses. They are young and on the road for this one, their first game outside of Indiana with their new head coach and new offensive players. The only thing that won't be new to them is losing a game.

Tulsa made a huge mistake by elevating Bill Blankenship to head coach after Todd Graham left for Pitt. But, there is enough talent returning on both sides of the ball - especially from a young 2010 defense that went on the road and beat Notre Dame - that even having Blankenship on the sideline won't hurt them in some games. However, I do feel there is a strong chance of a UNT "upset" here for head coaching reason alone.

Howard Schnellenberger is old, but rich; so, this loss to UNT won't really weigh on him too terribly much personally. His FAU team underachieved last year, and I think he may finally be on his last coaching legs at the age of 77. I really think this is his farewell tour. If not, FAU fans - all 16 of them - are going to have to get used to being upstaged annually by FIU in conference.

I'm not really sold on ULL's pick for new head coach. Forgot his name already, didn't you? Mark Hudspeth. Yes, that Mark Hudpseth. The former Mississippi State pass game coordinator. He also coached a Division II team. To say that our hire was light years better than his is an understatement - it's like Obi Wan Kenobi versus the Stormtroopers asking Luke Skywalker questions in Tatooine.

I think at this point, being 3-0 and conference and having the new stadium will start to kick in. Our roll continues here. I like Todd Berry. But, look...they fired a coach who was better. Thankfully.

They have a relatively new head coach who led them to a 4-8 record last year, and return Ryan Aplin, as good QB. But, really...they barely beat us last year (24-19) at a point when we were playing Chase Bain at QB. We were down to our third center and had injuries all around, and they still had to hang on to beat us. Dunbar racked them for 105 yards...Baine for 80! I'm sure our new coaching staff can handle this opposing group of coaches. I think about new DC Clint Bowen in these types of match ups.

Troy is who we think they are - a team that recruits like an SEC team. Until someone truly knocks them out, they are the kings of the hill in the Sun Belt.

This is a young team. I like their head coach. I just don't think WKU has the horses. We beat them last year with a terribly injury-riddled team on the road. I don't think their coach or coaching staff has the upside ours does.

The Blue Raiders were as loaded as a Sun Belt team could get in 2010 and couldn't seal the deal. Part scandal and part choke, they'll be younger in 2011. We beat them last year on the road, and will do so again in 2011 to clinch the Sun Belt from Troy, who I predict will choke away their final game of 2011 on the road at Arkansas State to finish 6-2 in the Belt...one game behind our 7-1 mark.

Don't know who we play, and don't care if we win. I'll just be glad we're going back again!

THREAD WITH COMMENTS

You better hope NTSU beats UL. I can already feel the "ban" button breathing down my neck.

For your sake....please win.

Z
06-07-2011 02:40 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
So this writer picks only ONE SBC loss? 01-wingedeagle

(06-07-2011 12:06 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Season prediction for the Mean Green by The Fake Lonnie Finch. Posted on the Mean Green board. Fire away !

Usually when one team has new coaches compared to a staff of returning coaches, the staff with no turnover is usually said to have an edge on the team full of new coaches. The writer here uses the reverse logic. 01-wingedeagle

And William Jefferson Clinton is the same person as Bill Clinton. This was a stupid point. His point would have been stronger just to say This is Alabama, enough said.

Who is Lousiiana? Is that their new name? I swear, ULL, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana, UL... and now Lousiiana?

So this writer thinks that a team that finished 3-9, 2-10, 1-11, 2-10, and 3-9 in the last 5 years will all of a sudden rule the conference and make it to the NOLA Bowl just because of the new staff? 03-lmfao

THREAD WITH COMMENTS
06-07-2011 03:17 PM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Maybe this is his dream season prediction for NT.
06-07-2011 03:34 PM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
L FIU They return more and better talent in a known system

L Houston They have better talent across the board except maybe "Lamar" Dunbar

L 'Bamer Get Real

L Losing is contagious for unT and Indiana was 2-0 in the Belt last year and very competitive in a number of other games

L Tulsa See Houston

L FAU Schnellenberger gets it done

W University of Louisiana ********* Both have new coaches and similar talent "Lamar" Dunbar is the difference

L ULM takes it with more returning experience

W stAte just has a way of losing as well

L Troy is the best in the conference and two wins is not the mojo to beat them

W WKU They are just bad

L MTSU pay back for last year

3-9

NoBowl.....unt will not be participating in this event
06-07-2011 03:39 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
stAte just does NOT have a way of losing at home, or Vs. UNT. What is it 6 in a row vs. the Mean Green?

I don't have any idea how stAte will do because of the offensive line - but as of now - stAte is favored to beat UNT @ home.
06-07-2011 09:13 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(06-07-2011 09:13 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  stAte just does NOT have a way of losing at home, or Vs. UNT. What is it 6 in a row vs. the Mean Green?

I don't have any idea how stAte will do because of the offensive line - but as of now - stAte is favored to beat UNT @ home.
Yeah, and he said Freeze was a "relatively new" HC who led ASU to 4-8 last year. Actually, he wasn't the HC last year, this is his first just like UNT's and of course, it's at ASU.
06-07-2011 11:25 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(06-07-2011 09:13 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  stAte just does NOT have a way of losing at home, or Vs. UNT. What is it 6 in a row vs. the Mean Green?

well I am pretty much set on the first 5 games of the season going as I said for unT

I guess there is a chance that FIU could come out to prove last year was not a fluke and then end up blowing all that and losing to unT......"because that what sunbelt do"

but I really don't think there will be a massive coaching advantage or change for unT right from the start especially on the road and against a team looking to put back to back years together

the FAU, Louisiana, ULM, stAte stretch is the hardest to call.....if there is going to be any big coaching or attitude turning point for unT it should be the FAU game, but if Schnelly is under pressure I can just as easily see his kids being up for the game more than unT's

the Louisiana loss is because of their coaching change and because "that how sunbelt do"

same with the ULM win......both could just as easily flip......as could any of the other games in that stretch

I just see unT with a 3-9 record to end the season and the wins have to come from somewhere and in the belt the wins usually come in strange ways at strange times for teams that are otherwise down

even if unT was to win the FIU game I still see 4 straight losses after that and then there is still the toss up stretch of FAU->stAte before they run into Troy and a sure L

hell in the belt they could lose to WKU and beat MTSU.....that how the sunbelt do......but 2-10 -> 4-8 is how unT do in 2011 and I am taking the 3-9
06-08-2011 07:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.