Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Romney reaffirms stance that global warming is real
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

By Matt Viser -- Globe Staff / June 4, 2011

MANCHESTER, N.H. — In the first town hall of his freshly announced presidential campaign, Mitt Romney yesterday reaffirmed his view that global warming is occurring and that humans are contributing to it, a position that has been rejected in recent years by many Republicans as the issue has taken on a greater partisan tinge.

After opening remarks in which Romney blamed President Obama’s policies for the new anemic hiring figures, the first questioner from the floor — a software developer from Hanover, N.H. — wanted to know the candidate’s position on climate change, an issue his opponents have generally avoided so far.

“I don’t speak for the scientific community, of course,’’ Romney said. “But I believe the world’s getting warmer. I can’t prove that, but I believe based on what I read that the world is getting warmer. And number two, I believe that humans contribute to that . . . so I think it’s important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may well be significant contributors to the climate change and the global warming that you’re seeing.’’

Romney has made clear that he opposes cap-and-trade, a system that would combat climate change by limiting total emissions and forcing polluters to pay for the greenhouse gases they produce. Instead, he said yesterday, he wants to wean the country from its dependence on foreign oil by seeking alternative sources of energy, and he said Americans should do more to conserve.

“I’m told that we use almost twice as much energy per person as does a European, and more like three times as much energy as does a Japanese citizen,’’ Romney said. “We can do a lot better.’’

If elected, he said he would pursue more oil drilling, as well as natural gas and nuclear energy.

“We can’t just say it’s going to be all solar and wind,’’ he said. “I love solar and wind, but they don’t drive cars. And we’re not going to all drive Chevy Volts.’’

Romney’s comments were in line with his observations about global warming in his 2010 book, “No Apology.’’ In it, he wrote: “I believe that climate change is occurring — the reduction in the size of global ice caps is hard to ignore. I also believe that human activity is a contributing factor.’’

But his views on climate change are not shared by many in his party, particularly conservatives who often have outsized influence in the presidential nominating contest. According to a Pew Research Center for the People and the Press poll in October, just 38 percent of Republicans say the earth is warming and just 16 percent say it is caused by humans.

Several of Romney’s Republican rivals are also taking divergent stances on the science behind global warming.

Jon M. Huntsman Jr., the former Utah governor who is toying with a presidential bid, indicated in a Time magazine interview last month that he believes climate change is occurring. Former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty recorded a radio spot in 2007 calling on Congress to take action on climate change. But last month at a debate in South Carolina, he disavowed his past position. “I don’t duck it, bob it, weave it, try to explain it away,’’ he said. “I made a mistake.’’

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich has also shifted positions on the issue. In 2007, he told PBS that the weight of evidence over time convinced him of the need to do something about global warming. The next year, he appeared with then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in an ad saying Congress needed to take action on climate change.

But last month he said such concerns were overblown, telling The Telegraph of Georgia: “When I see 6,000 scientists sign something, that’s called political science. That’s not science.’’

“The planet used to be dramatically warmer when we had dinosaurs and no people,’’ he said. “To the best of my knowledge the dinosaurs weren’t driving cars.’’

Romney’s town hall came on a day where activity in the first-in the-nation primary state continued to buzz. Sarah Palin had breakfast yesterday in Portsmouth with Senator Kelly Ayotte and later said she planned to take her bus tour to Iowa and South Carolina, two early-voting states.

As an indication of the harried nature of the campaign, Huntsman and his wife — on their way to New Hampshire for weekend campaign events — arrived at Logan International Airport on the same airplane that Romney and his wife got on to fly to Washington (the two potential rivals did not appear to see each other in the terminal). Romney, who sat in coach, arrived in Washington, bought a pretzel at Auntie Anne’s, and then spotted Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

“Madam Secretary!’’ he cried out, as he extended his hand. “Mitt Romney. Nice to see you.’’

Romney’s town hall in Manchester marked the first time this year he has faced voters in the unscripted forums that New Hampshire prides itself on. On his campaign’s favorite theme, the weak economy, Romney used the newly released unemployment data to continue his sharp critique of Obama.

“Look he’s a nice guy, he’s well spoken, he could talk a dog off a meat wagon, and yet he hasn’t delivered,’’ the former Massachusetts governor said in a lecture hall at the University of New Hampshire’s campus here.

Even last night, as he addressed Christian conservatives at a forum in Washington, he devoted much of his 13-minute speech to economic issues. Only at the beginning of the address did he mention social concerns, reiterating his opposition to abortion and gay marriage.

“We’re united tonight in a lot of things,’’ he told a gathering of the Faith and Freedom Coalition. “We’re united in the love we have for this great country. We’re united in our belief in the sanctity of human life. We’re united in our belief in the importance and significance of a marriage between one man and one woman.’’

At the town hall, Romney continued talking about cutting spending, but he did not identify areas to target. He said he supported the general goals of a politically dicey proposal from House Republicans that would partially privatize Medicare.

“No one in my party has proposed any change for those programs for anybody who’s retired or who’s near retirement,’’ he said. “The question is: What are we going to promise people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s? And the answer is, let’s tell them the truth.’’

Romney, who has been loathe to bring up social issues after struggling to reconcile some of his shifting positions on them four years ago, also took a question on abortion. A man asked whether there should be criminal sanctions against doctors who perform abortions in states that make them illegal.

“I think the right thing for matters related to abortion is very similar to one I’ve described in other measures, which is return this to the states,’’ Romney said. “I’m pro-life, and I think this is a decision best handled, like many other things, at the state level.’’

Theo Emery of the Globe staff contributed to this report.
06-04-2011 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: Romney reaffirms stance that global warming is real
How the hell is this guy leading the polls?
06-04-2011 11:09 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
So much for him getting the nutjob vote. Makes it a little easier for Obama in 2012 if the small numbers of wackjobs vote for a wackjob instead of a fairly reasonable candidate. :)
06-04-2011 11:10 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Well he's taking a stand. Of course after introducing socialized health care, and now this, he should be front runner in the DNC.
06-04-2011 11:19 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Romney the RINO. He could prove to be a turd in the punch bowl if he decided to run Indy in 2012. Who ever wins the Republican nomination will need every vote to beat Barry, and a RINO like Romney could pull enough votes to cost the Republicans.
06-04-2011 05:44 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-04-2011 05:44 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Romney the RINO. He could prove to be a turd in the punch bowl if he decided to run Indy in 2012. Who ever wins the Republican nomination will need every vote to beat Barry, and a RINO like Romney could pull enough votes to cost the Republicans.
If by RINO you mean a moderate Republican, then I would agree.
06-04-2011 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-04-2011 05:44 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Romney the RINO. He could prove to be a turd in the punch bowl if he decided to run Indy in 2012. Who ever wins the Republican nomination will need every vote to beat Barry, and a RINO like Romney could pull enough votes to cost the Republicans.
Mitt Romney would just as soon run as a Democrat as he would run as an Independent.

There's a lot of campaigning to do between now and the primaries. But right now this minute, Pawlenty has to be pleased with the way the process is unfolding. He is slowly emerging as the most-conservative candidate taken seriously by the media, the major-$$$ donors, and a significant portion (not all, by any means, but a lot) of grassroots Republicans. That is a very enviable position to be in, so far as the nomination is concerned.
06-04-2011 06:02 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-04-2011 06:02 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
Mitt Romney would just as soon run as a Democrat as he would run as an Independent.

There's a lot of campaigning to do between now and the primaries. But right now this minute, Pawlenty has to be pleased with the way the process is unfolding. He is slowly emerging as the most-conservative candidate taken seriously by the media, the major-$$$ donors, and a significant portion (not all, by any means, but a lot) of grassroots Republicans. That is a very enviable position to be in, so far as the nomination is concerned.
I think it is funny that you guys think that a moderate Republican can now run as a Democrat. It goes to show just how far right the Republican party has moved.
06-04-2011 06:08 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(06-04-2011 06:08 PM)RobertN Wrote:  I think it is funny that you guys think that a moderate Republican can now run as a Democrat. It goes to show just how far right the Republican party has moved.
I don't think Romney would or should run as a Democrat (he could, but what's the point?). All I was saying is there are roughly equal odds of him doing so, compared to him running as an Independent. He's not going to do either. He will either be the Republican nominee or else he will not be a candidate in the General Election.

Compared to the rest of the country, the Republican Party has not really "moved" to the left or right in any significant way since Reagan won the nomination in 1980. Compared to most Republicans nationwide, Romney is a bit more liberal than average, but not so much so that he should be called a "RINO", in my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 06:48 PM by Native Georgian.)
06-04-2011 06:45 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-04-2011 06:45 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-04-2011 06:08 PM)RobertN Wrote:  I think it is funny that you guys think that a moderate Republican can now run as a Democrat. It goes to show just how far right the Republican party has moved.
I don't think Romney would or should run as a Democrat (he could, but what's the point?). All I was saying is there are roughly equal odds of him doing so, compared to him running as an Independent. He's not going to do either. He will either be the Republican nominee or else he will not be a candidate in the General Election.

Compared to the rest of the country, the Republican Party has not really "moved" to the left or right in any significant way since Reagan won the nomination in 1980. Compared to most Republicans nationwide, Romney is a bit more liberal than average, but not so much so that he should be called a "RINO", in my opinion.
Right. THe tea baggers are where the Republican party has been since Reagan. Did you type that with a straight face?
06-04-2011 08:01 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

Tea Party =/= Republican Party
06-04-2011 08:26 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-04-2011 08:26 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Tea Party =/= Republican Party
You just keep on believing that. 03-lmfao
06-04-2011 09:07 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(06-04-2011 09:07 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(06-04-2011 08:26 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Tea Party =/= Republican Party
You just keep on believing that. 03-lmfao

Since it's true, I will keep on believing it.
06-04-2011 09:44 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Good for Romney!

He finally gave me a good, solid, on-the-record reason for thinking he's a waste of skin.

Newt is looking better.

Palin is looking a lot better.
06-04-2011 10:26 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(06-04-2011 10:26 PM)Claw Wrote:  Good for Romney!

He finally gave me a good, solid, on-the-record reason for thinking he's a waste of skin.

Newt is looking better.

Palin is looking a lot better.
You have been drinking heavilly tonight haven't you?
06-04-2011 10:59 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I can't blame the guy for believing the popular scientific talk of the day. He doesn't support Cap and Trade and believes in drilling here and now. I can't believe that just because he doesn't think like a puppet and say the exact same thing as everyone else it makes him no longer worthy of the Republican party. I've read time and time again here trashing democrats for all regurgitating the same bull, but you secretly want your own to do exactly that.
06-04-2011 11:39 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

Maybe its the Obama continuation of Bush foreign, tax, and other policies that are confusing up..
06-05-2011 01:09 AM
Mr. Peanut Offline
Banned

I Root For: American Worker
Romney and Huntsmann are the GOP candidates Obama is concerned about. The rest of the field is compiled of knuckle draggers that deny sound science, social justice and settled law.
06-05-2011 06:43 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
I'll assume by sound science, you mean what you choose to believe. Social justice is BS. And I'm guessing any law you disagree with isn't settled.
06-05-2011 08:07 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Torch better send is "watts up with the weather" blog to Mitt stat. He obviously hasn't read it.
06-05-2011 09:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.