Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony
[Image: Obama-Islam-Constitution-Burning.jpg]
Quote:A federal judge has ordered a Texas school district to prohibit public prayer at a high school graduation ceremony.

Chief U.S. District Judge Fred Biery’s order against the Medina Valley Independent School District also forbids students from using specific religious words including “prayer” and “amen.”

The ruling was in response to a lawsuit filed by Christa and Danny Schultz. Their son is among those scheduled to participate in Saturday’s graduation ceremony. The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would “suffer irreparable harm” if anyone prayed at the ceremony.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott said the school district is in the process of appealing the ruling, and his office has agreed to file a brief in their support.

“Part of this goes to the very heart of the unraveling of moral values in this country,” Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott told Fox News Radio, saying the judge wanted to turn school administrators into “speech police.”

“I’ve never seen such a restriction on speech issued by a court or the government,” Abbott told Fox News Radio. “It seems like a trampling of the First Amendment rather than protecting the First Amendment.”

---MORE---

A federal judge violating the US Constitution. Great.
06-03-2011 08:19 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony
How does one suffer "irreparable harm" from listening to another person pray?
06-03-2011 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
The judge did grant students permission to make the sign of the cross, wear religious garb or kneel to face Mecca.

If speech can cause irreparable harm, Roberta better STFU. <b!tchslap>
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011 09:04 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
06-03-2011 08:41 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Quote: The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would “suffer irreparable harm” if anyone prayed at the ceremony.

bull****

If that were true, this is a young man with a long, grim future ahead of him.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011 08:45 AM by Smaug.)
06-03-2011 08:44 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Thread title fail.

His ruling did nothing of the sort. Anyone in attendance can pray to their hearts content.

For some reason I can't see you all in favor of a student up on stage bowing to Mecca and saying Allah Hu Akbar.
06-03-2011 09:29 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2011 09:29 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Thread title fail.

His ruling did nothing of the sort. Anyone in attendance can pray to their hearts content.

Wrong.
06-03-2011 09:37 AM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
Why do you need to pray at a graduation ceremony anyway. What's the purpose. Do you need protection from evil degree snatching trolls. LOL
06-03-2011 09:48 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2011 09:48 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  Why do you need to pray at a graduation ceremony anyway. What's the purpose. Do you need protection from evil degree snatching trolls. LOL

You're missing the bigger picture here, not that that surprises me. You are, afterall, a liberal.
06-03-2011 09:54 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(06-03-2011 09:48 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  Why do you need to pray at a graduation ceremony anyway. What's the purpose. Do you need protection from evil degree snatching trolls. LOL

Said bye someone with a lesser understanding of prayer than my 4 year old daughter...

You don't just pray for protection or guidance... Sometimes these obscure little things called Offertory Prayers are appropriate.
06-03-2011 10:02 AM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(06-03-2011 10:02 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Said bye someone with a lesser understanding of prayer than my 4 year old daughter...

You don't just pray for protection or guidance... Sometimes these obscure little things called Offertory Prayers are appropriate.

Well do it at home before you leave. 05-stirthepot
06-03-2011 10:06 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2011 10:06 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  
(06-03-2011 10:02 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Well do it at home before you leave. 05-stirthepot

...and if that was said to MLK and the marchers back in the 60's, what would you say?
06-03-2011 10:11 AM
Advertisement

Know Nothing Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Big East
The judge has made his ruling. Now let's see how well he can enforce it. Every speaker that gets up on the stage should say a prayer before they give their speech. Let's see what the judge can/is willing to do about it.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011 10:16 AM by Know Nothing.)
06-03-2011 10:15 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I'm an advocate for the separation of church and state, in that school itself, or anyone employed by said school and salary paid with public tax dollars, should be prohibited from leading a group prayer or presenting overtly religious symbols.

But a student speaker, in this case a valedictorian, is a private citizen. If she thanks God or mentioned Jesus in her speech, we can determine that it's her own private thoughts, not 'paid for' by public tax dollars and hence not endorsed by the government. In this case, the ruling should side with her.

Now, I think it's uncouth, and pushes the boundary of respect for the audience, if she attempts to get others involved and lead a group prayer herself.

Quote:For some reason I can't see you all in favor of a student up on stage bowing to Mecca and saying Allah Hu Akbar.

I'd be okay with that, for the reasons I mentioned above. I was born in raised in Dearborn MI, so that's probably already happened at my old high school anyhow.

Quote:The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would "suffer irreparable harm" if anyone prayed at the ceremony.

If this is true, then the Schultz family are the 'freaks' here. If simply hearing a quick personal prayer causes you "irreparable harm", then you've got some serious bigotry issues to work out with a therapist. But, this is more likely just typical lawyer exaggeration-speak and Victim Card-playing for maximum effect.
06-03-2011 10:17 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(06-03-2011 10:15 AM)Know Nothing Wrote:  The judge has made his ruling. Now let's see how well he can enforce it. Every speaker that gets up on the stage should say a prayer before they give their speech. Let's see what the judge can/is willing to do about it.

Jefferson Memorial Dancer-style. 03-wink
06-03-2011 10:19 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(06-03-2011 08:44 AM)Smaug Wrote:  
Quote: The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would “suffer irreparable harm” if anyone prayed at the ceremony.

bull****

If that were true, this is a young man with a long, grim future ahead of him.

Does anyone realize how many religious symbols we encounter in everyday life? All I have to do is hand this kid a dollar bill and the trauma will cause him life long therapy.
06-03-2011 10:21 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2011 09:29 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  For some reason I can't see you all in favor of a student up on stage bowing to Mecca and saying Allah Hu Akbar.

I would strongly favor the opportunity to do so being granted, along with Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Native American, Wiccan, and anyone else having the same opportunity--including Jews and any denomination of Christians, too.
06-03-2011 10:27 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2011 08:44 AM)Smaug Wrote:  If that were true, this is a young man with a long, grim future ahead of him.

I think he's probably facing that in any event.
06-03-2011 10:28 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Every speaker should defy this daft Judge's order. Willingly accepting the Judge's contempt ruling. Thus having it sent to Greg Abbot's office for prosecution and enforcement. Laws mean nothing without enforcement. Judge Fred Biery will surely burn in hell.
06-03-2011 10:57 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(06-03-2011 10:27 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-03-2011 09:29 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  For some reason I can't see you all in favor of a student up on stage bowing to Mecca and saying Allah Hu Akbar.

I would strongly favor the opportunity to do so being granted, along with Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Native American, Wiccan, and anyone else having the same opportunity--including Jews and any denomination of Christians, too.

That would be a hell (snicker) of a long graduation ceremony....

The idea of separation of church and state was not to say people couldn't pray in public buildings or the public figures couldn't make religious remarks. It was simply so that the government would allow you to be whatever religion you want, and not tell people they MUST be a certain religion.

I am an atheist, but saying that people can't pray voluntarily in public government building or the president can't refer to his faith is the exact opposite of what I believe separation of church and state was meant to be.

I honestly don't consider it to be a big deal as long as they don't start censuring those who don't participate. It's pretty clear you are free in the US to worship what you want, or not at all.
06-03-2011 11:50 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2011 11:50 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
The idea of separation of church and state was not to say people couldn't pray in public buildings or the public figures couldn't make religious remarks. It was simply so that the government would allow you to be whatever religion you want, and not tell people they MUST be a certain religion.

From correspondence on these boards, that concept is completely lost on some of these people, with one exception:

"It was simply so that the government would allow you"

It's not the government that is "allowing" you. Governments change often. Our Constitution is supposed to be solid and only changed when the majority go through a grueling process of amending it. It was made that way for a reason.
06-03-2011 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.