Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FB Only membership
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
FB Only membership
If the usual suspects for Big East expansion were offered football only membership, where would they put their other sports?

By NCAA rules they cannot leave their other sports in their current FBS conferences so we are looking at either D1-non football leagues or FCS leagues.

Where would each of the following end up for non-fb?

UCF
Houston
East Carolina
Memphis (Not sure why it'd happen this way but just for debate lets discuss)
SMU
USM
UAB
(Would ask Temple or UMass but already A-10 so kinda pointless)

Curious to see what people come up with.
03-23-2011 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: FB Only membership
We would never accept a football only invite as we have invested a lot in the other sports and would probably be sent back to Atlantic Sun if we did.
03-23-2011 02:58 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
I don't believe this is being discussed anymore.
03-23-2011 03:00 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
East Carolina is the only school listed that: 1) has a chance, and 2) would be receptive to a football-only bid.

Southern Miss and UAB have no chance at the Big East.

East Carolina would try to join the Atlantic 10 or the Colonial, but may be forced to consider the Southern Conference or the Atlantic Sun or Sun Belt.
03-23-2011 03:27 PM
1845 Bear Offline

(03-23-2011 03:27 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  East Carolina is the only school listed that: 1) has a chance, and 2) would be receptive to a football-only bid.

East Carolina would try to join the Atlantic 10 or the Colonial, but may be forced to consider the Southern Conference or the Atlantic Sun or Sun Belt.

Not saying they do. Just posing the question.
03-23-2011 03:33 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
No one the BE has a realistic shot at getting has the leverage that TCU had.

The BE could have offered TCU football-only and TCU could have told them to pound sand.

For anyone else, if they are offered football-only and complain that they're "too good" to settle for football only, the BE would laugh and tell them to pound sand.
03-23-2011 04:00 PM
Advertisement

chrisharper80 Offline
Special Teams

(03-23-2011 02:31 PM)Sammy11 Wrote:  By NCAA rules they cannot leave their other sports in their current FBS conferences so we are looking at either D1-non football leagues or FCS leagues.

Sammy,

I have heard this rule talked about on message boards before. However, I have never seen any confirmation that this is, in fact, an NCAA rule. Do you have a specific citation? I have reviewed the NCAA bylaws myself, and I have not been able to find such a rule. The closest I have found is this:

20.02.6 Football Bowl Subdivision Conference. A conference classified as a Football Bowl Subdivision
conference shall be comprised of at least eight full Football Bowl Subdivision members that satisfy all bowl subdivision
requirements. An institution shall be included as one of the eight full Football Bowl Subdivision members
only if the institution participates in the conference schedule in at least six men’s and eight women’s conference sponsored sports, including men’s basketball and football and three women’s team sports including women’s basketball.
A conference-sponsored sport shall be a sport in which regular season and/or championship opportunities
are provided, consistent with the minimum standards identified by the applicable NCAA sport committee for
automatic qualification. (Adopted: 10/31/02 effective 8/1/05, Revised: 12/15/06)
20.02.6.1 Exception. A Football Bowl Subdivision member institution shall be permitted to count as one
of its required six men’s sports and one of its required eight women’s sports a sport in which its conference does
not sponsor or conduct a championship, provided the sport is one in which it participates in another Division
I multi- or single-sport conference. Different sports may be counted for men and women. (Adopted: 4/29/04
effective 8/1/05, Revised: 12/15/06)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productd...s/D111.pdf

This basically says that for any school to count toward the 8 required to be an FBS conference, it also has to play in at least six men's sports and eight women's sports. But, just for the sake of argument, if Notre Dame wanted to join the B10 for football only, this rule would not stop them. As long as a school doesn't count toward the eight member minimum, they don't have to have other sports in the conference.

If someone has a specific citation of this rule, I would be interested to see it. I have heard someone suggest in the past that it is just a myth.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 04:07 PM by chrisharper80.)
03-23-2011 04:06 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(03-23-2011 04:00 PM)Wedge Wrote:  No one the BE has a realistic shot at getting has the leverage that TCU had.

The BE could have offered TCU football-only and TCU could have told them to pound sand.

For anyone else, if they are offered football-only and complain that they're "too good" to settle for football only, the BE would laugh and tell them to pound sand.

I don't think any of the typical BIGEAST "Candidates" think they are "too good" for football-only (since all are outsiders "looking-in" to the BIG BOY club.

It has more to do with the legistics.

I can only speak about UCF, but we just dropped $100 million dollars into a new sports arena, several million dollars into a track & field stadium, a new softball stadium, and are about to (finally) start a multi-million dollar baseball stadium upgrade.

Especially with the UCF Arena we need $$$$$$$$ to pay it off. That means butts in seats. Paying season ticket holders.

If UCF were to accept a "football-only" membership, where would we put our other sports? CUSA would kick us out in a hearbeat. We would probably have to put our other sports BACK into the Atlantic-Sun.

UCF in the ASUN would be a death sentence to all sports but football. We would be back to selling 3-4k for basketball. Simply put, that isn't enough to pay our debt.

Likewise, how serious of a relationship between UCF and the BigEast would it be if we had FOOTBALL only. We would *ONLY* have a VOTE within the BIG EAST for football topics. We would NOT have a vote on the direction of the conference.

So if 4-5 years from now Texas goes to the PAC-13 or whatever, and the BIG EAST invites the "non-Texas" schools, guess what? The BIG EAST would drop UCF in a second. Is it worth destroying our other sports for a few years of BCS bliss?

Now if UCF had a better choice to land our other sports, then consider me interested....but I don't know if that's a legit option.
03-23-2011 04:14 PM
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
I'm fairly certain that it's not a NCAA rule that you have to play football in your "home" conference. It is, however, a conference rule almost everywhere, given that most conferences are formed around revenue sports. At the FCS level, playing football in a different conference isn't that uncommon. Back when the Atlantic 10 still had a FCS football conference, Dayton, Fordham, Duquesne and La Salle all played football elsewhere.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 04:18 PM by LastMinuteman.)
03-23-2011 04:18 PM
1845 Bear Offline

(03-23-2011 04:06 PM)chrisharper80 Wrote:  
(03-23-2011 02:31 PM)Sammy11 Wrote:  By NCAA rules they cannot leave their other sports in their current FBS conferences so we are looking at either D1-non football leagues or FCS leagues.

Sammy,

I have heard this rule talked about on message boards before. However, I have never seen any confirmation that this is, in fact, an NCAA rule. Do you have a specific citation? I have reviewed the NCAA bylaws myself, and I have not been able to find such a rule. The closest I have found is this:

20.02.6 Football Bowl Subdivision Conference. A conference classified as a Football Bowl Subdivision
conference shall be comprised of at least eight full Football Bowl Subdivision members that satisfy all bowl subdivision
requirements. An institution shall be included as one of the eight full Football Bowl Subdivision members
only if the institution participates in the conference schedule in at least six men’s and eight women’s conference sponsored sports, including men’s basketball and football and three women’s team sports including women’s basketball.
A conference-sponsored sport shall be a sport in which regular season and/or championship opportunities
are provided, consistent with the minimum standards identified by the applicable NCAA sport committee for
automatic qualification. (Adopted: 10/31/02 effective 8/1/05, Revised: 12/15/06)
20.02.6.1 Exception. A Football Bowl Subdivision member institution shall be permitted to count as one
of its required six men’s sports and one of its required eight women’s sports a sport in which its conference does
not sponsor or conduct a championship, provided the sport is one in which it participates in another Division
I multi- or single-sport conference. Different sports may be counted for men and women. (Adopted: 4/29/04
effective 8/1/05, Revised: 12/15/06)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productd...s/D111.pdf

This basically says that for any school to count toward the 8 required to be an FBS conference, it also has to play in at least six men's sports and eight women's sports. But, just for the sake of argument, if Notre Dame wanted to join the B10 for football only, this rule would not stop them. As long as a school doesn't count toward the eight member minimum, they don't have to have other sports in the conference.

If someone has a specific citation of this rule, I would be interested to see it. I have heard someone suggest in the past that it is just a myth.

I saw it linked on a discussion involving BYU possibly rejoining the MWC but did not save the link, regrettably.
03-23-2011 04:19 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
i believe this much debated "rule" is actually just standard procedure for fbs conferences and not an actual ncaa rule. Kinda like how the drinking age is 21 nationwide due to all 50 states having set it as their drinking age, not the federal government. Individually All FBS conferences, as oppossed to the NCAA itself require that schools play all possible sports in their league and only accept affiliate memberships when necessary
03-23-2011 04:54 PM
Advertisement

ecu92 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(03-23-2011 03:27 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  East Carolina is the only school listed that: 1) has a chance, and 2) would be receptive to a football-only bid.

No chance of joining the A10. It would be the CAA, the SoCon, or the Big South. We have history with 2 of those leagues. Those are Carolinas-based leagues or leagues that have a strong presence in the Carolinas. Our chances of joining one of those would be pretty good. We would be able to dangle a lot financial incentives their way, particularly with the increased revenue we'd have from our BCS affiliation.
03-23-2011 05:03 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple

Pretty sure we would take a football only offer, even though we would much prefer full membership this time around.
03-23-2011 08:51 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2011 08:51 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

Pretty sure we would take a football only offer, even though we would much prefer full membership this time around.

The OP wasn't asking about Temple. The question was where would football-only candidates play the rest of their sports. With Temple, they are already in the A10, so there's no need to ask the question with respect to Temple.

My post was an attempt to answer the question as posed by the OP. Everybody knows Temple would take football-only if offered.
03-23-2011 10:16 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Everybody also knows that Temple ain't getting an invite at any time in the near future...
03-24-2011 09:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I feel pretty confident the CAA would take us back. If they wouldn't I know the Big South would. While our basketball program doesn't have any history it's improving and our baseball program is a top level program that all of these conferences would love to have.
03-24-2011 10:02 AM
Advertisement

GO_TU Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-24-2011 09:28 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Everybody also knows that Temple ain't getting an invite at any time in the near future...

Everybody also knows that you think Villanova is a good candidate for Big East football expansion. As such, everyone also knows that you don't know your d*ck from your head when it comes to expansion.
03-24-2011 03:59 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I don't think Villanova is a good candidate for expansion. I've never said that - and anyone who's been on this board for any length of time knows that. I can see why a noob like yourself would be in the dark on that...

IMO trying to garner a college football audience in Philadelphia is a complete waste of time. It always has been, and always will be. The BEast already has as much of the Philadelphia audience as we're going to get with Temple or Villanova. Their fans already watch our games for the most part. Adding either school isn't going to get us any more fans. So why bother with either?
03-24-2011 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TempleSquirrel Offline
Bench Warmer

bit... did you just call GO_TU a "noob"?... wow... STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER
03-24-2011 06:58 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

He's a noob to this board. So are you. A noob is somebody with under 1000 posts, unless you've changed handles...
03-24-2011 08:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.