Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Indiana House Democrats leave state, Wisconsin style
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Indiana House Democrats leave state, Wisconsin style
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/116662989.html

Disturbing trend. So if you're a state politician and don't want to vote on a bill coming up because you believe you'll be on the losing side, simply flee and hide so no vote takes place. I guess this is the Democrats' definition of civil discourse. Meaning, no discourse at all.

Evidently, democracy only works when you know you'll "win".
02-23-2011 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
RE: Indiana House Democrats leave state, Wisconsin style
I thought Obama said "Elections have consequences". That must only be true if Democrats are in power. Or make that, the cowards are in power.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 08:23 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-23-2011 08:21 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

And in New England...

Quote:A Democratic Congressman from Massachusetts is raising the stakes in the nation’s fight over the future of public employee unions, saying emails aren’t enough to show support and that it is time to “get a little bloody.”

Whoa. Where's Paul Krugman to call out the violent rhetoric? Where's Jon Stewart's 'Restore Sanity' rally? Olbermann? Maddow? Moore?

http://nhjournal.com/2011/02/23/dem-rep-...%E2%80%99/
02-23-2011 08:48 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
Damn. Can Texas put a bill like this on the docket?

Speaking of the Texas docket, and to shamelessly hijack a thread, there is some irony that Texas put a bill to allow guns in classrooms (college). The one shooting incident that I can recall at a college campus in Texas that didn't involve cats was the sniper shooting from the UTexas tower (early 70s). Handguns clearly wouldn't have done much at all to help that situation. But, I did have a cousin on campus who was there that day and had to hide...

I'm ambivalent about the bill, but most of all hope it doesn't blow up in our faces.
02-23-2011 09:14 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(02-23-2011 09:14 AM)I45owl Wrote:  Damn. Can Texas put a bill like this on the docket?

Speaking of the Texas docket, and to shamelessly hijack a thread, there is some irony that Texas put a bill to allow guns in classrooms (college). The one shooting incident that I can recall at a college campus in Texas that didn't involve cats was the sniper shooting from the UTexas tower (early 70s). Handguns clearly wouldn't have done much at all to help that situation. But, I did have a cousin on campus who was there that day and had to hide...

I'm ambivalent about the bill, but most of all hope it doesn't blow up in our faces.

I too have some reservations, but an armed citizenry is a polite citizenry. Just that some young people don't have fully mature decision making capabilities.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 12:22 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-23-2011 12:20 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
I haven't been immersed in politics for a while, but aren't there mechanisms in place designed to stop this stuff? I read something about the possibility of recalls, but aren't there various siderules about quorums for votes if people just refuse to show up rather than are unable? Or even a possibility of dereliction of duty?
02-23-2011 12:35 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-23-2011 12:35 PM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  I haven't been immersed in politics for a while, but aren't there mechanisms in place designed to stop this stuff? I read something about the possibility of recalls, but aren't there various siderules about quorums for votes if people just refuse to show up rather than are unable? Or even a possibility of dereliction of duty?

Caveat emptor on the source, but I read it's a felony.

Quote:According to Wisconsin law (per Daily Caller), the "missing" Wisconsin state senators could be charged with class 1 felonies, but state Republican Sen. Glenn Grothman tells The Daily Caller that he and his colleagues most likely won't push for the Democrats to be charged ... Part 946.12, Section 1, of Wisconsin state law says that a class 1 felony is committed when a public official "intentionally fails or refuses to perform a known mandatory, nondiscretionary, ministerial duty of the officer's or employee's office or employment within the time or in the manner required by law."
02-23-2011 12:46 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
I wish they would all leave and refuse to come back.
02-23-2011 12:47 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(02-23-2011 09:14 AM)I45owl Wrote:  Damn. Can Texas put a bill like this on the docket?

Yeah, but most of the school shootings that are going to happen are not going to be done by trained snipers. It could end up saving lives.
02-23-2011 12:49 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
So much for standing up for what you believe in.
02-23-2011 02:10 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-23-2011 08:13 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/116662989.html

Disturbing trend. So if you're a state politician and don't want to vote on a bill coming up because you believe you'll be on the losing side, simply flee and hide so no vote takes place. I guess this is the Democrats' definition of civil discourse. Meaning, no discourse at all.

Evidently, democracy only works when you know you'll "win".

The irony of this was all the hand wringing libs did over Republican Filibusters in the senate during the ObamaCare debate....

Seems they hate filibusters but are ok with shutting down the government.
02-23-2011 03:26 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I have some work to do today, but I don't really want to do it. If I refuse to do it, and flee to another state, will I still get paid?

Think I'm in the wrong line of work.
02-23-2011 04:13 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Most places I've worked considered being gone for 3 days without an excuse or authorization job abandonment. It's funny how Harry Reid can lock himself in a room with democrats and write a bill with no republican input and that's OK.
02-23-2011 07:03 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
At what point can the governors of these states declare their seats as open for missing scheduled sessions and replace them.
02-23-2011 07:07 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2011 07:07 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  At what point can the governors of these states declare their seats as open for missing scheduled sessions and replace them.

Not soon enough for me.

If those seats become occupied by other Democrats, that's fine. There's got to be lesson taught here that you don't "run and hide" like a fugitive and hold representative democracy hostage because you feel you're going to lose an upcoming vote.

And talk about further giving the public service sector a black eye... People certainly notice how they throw a hissy fit, stomp off and not show up for work for days (weeks?), yet still get paid and come back whenever they want. Great gig.
02-23-2011 07:14 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
If these people stay out for an extended period of time then you have to ask yourself if we really need them at all.

I would love to hear what the democrats would say if republicans took their ball and went home.
02-23-2011 07:18 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline

I've been in War for this country. Risked my life under fire. I have no room for cowards. These people are cowards, make no mistake about that. Especially anyone who has served this country should be appalled by the cowardly AWOL democrats.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 08:53 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-23-2011 08:50 PM
Mr. Peanut Offline
Banned

I Root For: American Worker
The Democrats don't have the votes to stop it so the only way to hold on until Walker folds (& he will) is to prevent quorum from being met
02-23-2011 08:59 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(02-23-2011 08:59 PM)Mr. Peanut Wrote:  The Democrats don't have the votes to stop it so the only way to hold on until Walker folds (& he will) is to prevent quorum from being met

So is this the way you want government operating going forward? Whichever side doesn't have the votes simply doesn't show up? When the Republicans skip town to block some legislation your in favor of, your going to say "oh well, that's the way things work"?
02-23-2011 09:15 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-23-2011 08:59 PM)Mr. Peanut Wrote:  The Democrats don't have the votes to stop it so the only way to hold on until Walker folds (& he will) is to prevent quorum from being met

In the mean time Walker will pass:

Right to Work
Concealed Carry

There is also a good chance he can pull the collective barganing language out of the budget bill thus evading a the need for a quorum.
02-23-2011 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.