Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Times Have Changed (1950s Sports Trivia)...
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
How Times Have Changed (1950s Sports Trivia)...
Just acquired most of the 1954 Bowman football set (128 cards total). I love the way the information on the back of the cards gives insights into the way things were different then, both for the country overall and for pro athletes.

Card #89 is of Don Boll, a Tackle for the Washington Redskins. Here is the first part of what Bowman has to say about him:

Quote:Second season. Rated by many as best rookie offensive lineman in National League last year. Born in Scribner, Neb., where he attended high school. Named on Players' All-Big Seven team and several All-America squads during his senior year at the University of Nebraska.
So far, so normal, although certain phrasings are a little different from what you'd expect today. But here's the end of Bowman's little biography:

Quote:Served four years in the Marines--younger brother, Duane, also a Nebraska gridder, was killed in Korea. Has seven sisters. Works in off-season as a supervisor in a shipping warehouse.
That bit about the Marines really stands out. Figure you've got 1,600-1,700 or so "active" players on the 32 NFL team rosters. I wonder if you could find a single one who put four years in the Corps. Having a brother KIA is probably quite rare, too, although with the Iraq/Afghanistan situations, the concept is at least something that a lot of people have a little familiarity with. Not so the concept of being one of nine children (at least nine), which was notable in 1954 but almost freakish in today's America, where three kids is considered a "large" family. And then my favorite sentence about working in a warehouse during the offseason. Do you suppose there is any player on an active NFL roster who has a second job on the offseason? (endorsements, "acting" in TV/movies, autograph shows, etc., don't count). I would be shocked if there is. I wonder when was the last time any player did have a job like that. For grade-school kids whose awareness of "history" only goes back 4-5-6 years, I wonder if they would even understand the basic idea of a pro athlete having to work in the offseason. They might wonder why someone who plays in the NFL would "want" to do that, LOL.

It really is a different world today compared to then...
02-20-2011 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: How Times Have Changed (1950s Sports Trivia)...
The only NFL player who I know of being a Marine is Ahmard Hall.
02-20-2011 07:09 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
you think it's freakish for an NFL player to be one of nine children? I wouldn't find it weird at all. What I'd find weird is the dad of one of today's players having the same last name as his son
02-20-2011 07:15 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(02-20-2011 07:15 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  you think it's freakish for an NFL player to be one of nine children? I wouldn't find it weird at all. What I'd find weird is the dad of one of today's players having the same last name as his son

Or maybe it could be the other way around...sorta. Cromartie has 9 kids by 8 women in 6 states. Is it no wonder he's the only player bitching for the nfl and the player's union to get a new contract?
02-20-2011 07:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.