Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I thought rape was rape
TJfan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Constitution
I thought rape was rape
Not according to Repugs.

Quote:Under H.R. 3, the only victims of “forcible rape" would qualify for federally funded abortions. Victims of statutory rape—say, a 13-year-old girl impregnated by a 30-year-old man—would be on their own. So would victims of incest if they’re over 18. And while “forcible rape” isn’t defined in the criminal code, the addition of the adjective seems certain to exclude acts of rape that don’t involve overt violence—say, cases where a woman is drugged or has a limited mental capacity. “It’s basically putting more restrictions on what was defined historically as rape,” says Keenan.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-s...ines-rape/

Fortunately, this absolutely disgusting legislation language got axed.
02-19-2011 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: I thought rape was rape
The values voters aren't Republicans in the traditional and historical sense ... they're new to the scene, and should be purged from the party.
02-19-2011 02:34 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(02-19-2011 02:33 PM)TJfan Wrote:  Not according to Repugs.

Quote:Under H.R. 3, the only victims of “forcible rape" would qualify for federally funded abortions. Victims of statutory rape—say, a 13-year-old girl impregnated by a 30-year-old man—would be on their own. So would victims of incest if they’re over 18. And while “forcible rape” isn’t defined in the criminal code, the addition of the adjective seems certain to exclude acts of rape that don’t involve overt violence—say, cases where a woman is drugged or has a limited mental capacity. “It’s basically putting more restrictions on what was defined historically as rape,” says Keenan.

That's a really poor job of spinning bub.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2011 02:43 PM by Paul M.)
02-19-2011 02:42 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(02-19-2011 02:34 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The values voters aren't Republicans in the traditional and historical sense ... they're new to the scene, and should be purged from the party.

Wow! Repbulican Ronald Regan is probably rolling over in his grave of this statement. He brought this group into the Republican party in 1980, without these voters we would have had a second term of Jimmy Carter, and of course President Gore.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2011 04:10 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
02-19-2011 03:55 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-19-2011 02:33 PM)TJfan Wrote:  Not according to Repugs.

You seem to have trouble understanding the English language.
02-19-2011 04:24 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
So do you get the free money prior to a rape conviction? The rapist should pay for an abortion, if the abortion happens.
Curious If I knock your teeth out with a punch does the government pay for the dental work?
02-19-2011 04:43 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
This is a retread

Consider that NO abortions currently get Federal funding. Believe it or not, this is a concession. Quit whining
02-19-2011 05:40 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(02-19-2011 04:43 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  So do you get the free money prior to a rape conviction? The rapist should pay for an abortion, if the abortion happens.
Curious If I knock your teeth out with a punch does the government pay for the dental work?

Is the guy you punch here legally or illegally?
02-19-2011 08:32 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

Poor Robert just sitting there at the top of the board viewing and wishing so badly he could jump in here and help out his fellow traveler.
02-19-2011 08:52 PM
Advertisement

TJfan Offline
Banned

(02-19-2011 03:55 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  without these voters we would have had a second term of Jimmy Carter, and of course President Gore.

These are the voters that gave us the incompetence of President W, and through extension, President Obama.
02-19-2011 08:54 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Yeah, I saw him...I PM'd BR and asked him to allow Rob back. I actually think Rob would take our side on some of the stuff the noobs are spouting.
02-19-2011 08:55 PM
TJfan Offline
Banned

(02-19-2011 05:40 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Consider that NO abortions currently get Federal funding. Believe it or not, this is a concession. Quit whining

That still doesn't explain why Repugs want to marginalize one class of Rape victims.
02-19-2011 09:02 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(02-19-2011 09:02 PM)TJfan Wrote:  
(02-19-2011 05:40 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Consider that NO abortions currently get Federal funding. Believe it or not, this is a concession. Quit whining

That still doesn't explain why Repugs want to marginalize one class of Rape victims.

As has already been pointed out, your reading skills are lacking.
02-19-2011 09:15 PM
Advertisement

TJfan Offline
Banned

I take it you subscribe to the Georgia Republican party perspective that all crime victims are victims, except rape victims who are merely "accusers"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/05/ge...-accusers/
02-19-2011 09:23 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I hate the term "person of interest" instead of suspect. But it doesn't change anything.
02-19-2011 09:39 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(02-19-2011 09:02 PM)TJfan Wrote:  

It also doesn't explain why when the Democrats held a super-majority in both houses AND the White House, meaning they could have passed just about ANYTHING... they failed to address the issue at all. I guess Democrats want to marginalize ALL rape victims?

You may not think they went far enough, but they went MUCH further than Pelosi and Company. Where was your indignation THEN?
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2011 05:52 PM by Hambone10.)
02-20-2011 05:47 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I thought abortion was legal.

Abortion backers keep acting like its not.
02-20-2011 05:50 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(02-19-2011 05:40 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  This is a retread

Consider that NO abortions currently get Federal funding. Believe it or not, this is a concession. Quit whining

At least one (credible) article that I saw indicated that this would take away tax deductions for any insurance plan that also paid for abortion. Where the legislation was interesting is not the "redefining rape" nonsense that Moveon.com was pushing, but that it may take away tax deductions for everyone in the plan even if abortion was not even a remote possibility. I don't know who or how many people that might affect (insurance payments being tax-deductible), but it may well be everyone on this board.
02-20-2011 09:28 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(02-20-2011 09:28 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(02-19-2011 05:40 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  This is a retread

At least one (credible) article that I saw indicated that this would take away tax deductions for any insurance plan that also paid for abortion. Where the legislation was interesting is not the "redefining rape" nonsense that Moveon.com was pushing, but that it may take away tax deductions for everyone in the plan even if abortion was not even a remote possibility. I don't know who or how many people that might affect (insurance payments being tax-deductible), but it may well be everyone on this board.

If that is true, then the wrong side is whining about this. How is that possible if Medicaid/Medicare pays for them (in any way at any time)? Unless that deduction is going away as well??
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2011 09:40 PM by Hambone10.)
02-20-2011 09:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.