Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shi*-cago shrinking
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Shi*-cago shrinking
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...stpop_read

Quote:A larger-than-expected exodus over the past 10 years reduced the population of Chicago to a level not seen in nearly a century.

The U.S. Census Bureau reported Tuesday that during the decade ended in 2010, Chicago's population fell 6.9% to 2,695,598 people, fewer than the 2.7 million reported back in 1920.

So like locusts, the political left which has destroyed US cities, is now migrating out to the suburbs. With potentially dire consequences

Quote:The influx of residents to outlying areas could translate into additional Republican seats, though the arrival there of Chicagoans could make those regions more politically diverse.

Which is exactly why I don't see the rise in TX population (as an example) as any clear cut gain for Republicans.
02-18-2011 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: Shi*-cago shrinking
You act like the exodus from Chicago is a new thing. It's been going on for decades, except for a slight hiccup in the 90s.
02-18-2011 10:18 AM
DrTorch Offline

(02-18-2011 10:18 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  You act like the exodus from Chicago is a new thing. It's been going on for decades, except for a slight hiccup in the 90s.

Actually, I don't act like it's a new thing. I'm just linking to a recent article. However, glad you found something you could try to complain about.
02-18-2011 10:29 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
DeKalb is 60 miles from downtown, almost exactly. It could be said (though probably not yet effectively) that DeKalb is a Chicago suburb.

That's insanity, a suburb 60 miles from the city core.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2011 11:06 AM by Lord Stanley.)
02-18-2011 10:36 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-18-2011 09:38 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...stpop_read

Quote:A larger-than-expected exodus over the past 10 years reduced the population of Chicago to a level not seen in nearly a century.

The U.S. Census Bureau reported Tuesday that during the decade ended in 2010, Chicago's population fell 6.9% to 2,695,598 people, fewer than the 2.7 million reported back in 1920.

So like locusts, the political left which has destroyed US cities, is now migrating out to the suburbs. With potentially dire consequences

Quote:The influx of residents to outlying areas could translate into additional Republican seats, though the arrival there of Chicagoans could make those regions more politically diverse.

Which is exactly why I don't see the rise in TX population (as an example) as any clear cut gain for Republicans.

Sure looks like you think it's a new thing. You're the one complaining about liberals supposedly leaving US cities based on info from a blog.
02-18-2011 10:37 AM
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Hmm.. city seems fine to me, and I would know.. I live there, great as ever. This is not really news, our city has certainly not been destroyed, this isn't Detroit.
02-18-2011 11:09 AM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-18-2011 11:09 AM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Hmm.. city seems fine to me, and I would know.. I live there, great as ever. This is not really news, our city has certainly not been destroyed, this isn't Detroit.

Highest sales taxes in the country, with Rahm looking to increase them more. Parking meter money spent. Finally caught up with plowing the sidestreets two weeks after the big storm. Budget is busted. And, people continue to leave. Outside of the downtown, Wrigleyville, or the affluent north, the city is tired and dirty.

It clearly isn't Detroit, but it certainly struggling, and not heading in a positive direction.
02-18-2011 11:57 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(02-18-2011 10:36 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  DeKalb is 60 miles from downtown, almost exactly. It could be said (though probably not yet effectively) that DeKalb is a Chicago suburb.

That is not insane. It is how the northeast works.

I do think DeKalb is a stretch but I live 20 miles from O'Hare and 40 miles from Chicago proper. Officially, I live in an exburb. My neighbors consider ourselves part of the Chicago Metropolitan Area.

Eventually the Chicago Metro area will be from Rockford to Indiana. I am okay with this.
02-18-2011 12:26 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(02-18-2011 11:57 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(02-18-2011 11:09 AM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Hmm.. city seems fine to me, and I would know.. I live there, great as ever. This is not really news, our city has certainly not been destroyed, this isn't Detroit.

Highest sales taxes in the country, with Rahm looking to increase them more. Parking meter money spent. Finally caught up with plowing the sidestreets two weeks after the big storm. Budget is busted. And, people continue to leave. Outside of the downtown, Wrigleyville, or the affluent north, the city is tired and dirty.

It clearly isn't Detroit, but it certainly struggling, and not heading in a positive direction.

I agreed with much of what you said until you got the part where you stated Chicago is "tired and dirty". Sorry. You are incorrect.
02-18-2011 12:27 PM
Advertisement

GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-18-2011 12:27 PM)chess Wrote:  

I agreed with much of what you said until you got the part where you stated Chicago is "tired and dirty". Sorry. You are incorrect.

Really? Take a drive around UIUC, or the Museum of Science and Industry, or down the Ryan, or in on the Ike, or around the United Center, etc.
02-18-2011 12:56 PM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:

I would imagine a large portion of the population loss was due to the demolition of the CHA highrises. Most of those people scattered to section 8 in the inner suburbs and elsewhere. Also, its no secret that blacks in particular have been leaving the north for the south and cities like Atlanta. Chicago lost 17% of its black population in the recent census. I also think the Hispanic population was severely under counted, as it only showed a 3% increase.

I wouldnt call neighborhoods outside the near north "tired or dirty"...you're talking about a pretty massive swath of the city there. But it is obvious that Daley has ignored many outer neighborhoods at the expense of keeping downtown shiny and clean and rich. Thats a clear failure on his part. I hope the next mayor realizes the real challenges facing the city, works to improve the quality of life across all spectrums. I can't blame people for not wanting to live in Englewood.

Off topic, but as far as the snowstorm, I thought they handled it well. Nothing that could be done about Lake Shore Drive, but considering it was the 3rd worst blizzard on record, things returned to normal pretty quickly.
02-18-2011 12:58 PM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-18-2011 12:56 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(02-18-2011 12:27 PM)chess Wrote:  

Really? Take a drive around UIUC, or the Museum of Science and Industry, or down the Ryan, or in on the Ike, or around the United Center, etc.

Have YOU been around those areas recently? Area around United Center...not great, but the West Loop and West Town neighborhoods which directly surround it have experienced phenomenal growth and rebirth. Still dicey, but vastly improved from the mid-late 90s.

UIC? Drive down Halsted in that area. Pretty vibrant. Basically a student population.

I havent been down around MSI in some time, but Hyde Park is probably the crown jewel of the south side. Surrounded by a lot of crap, but that immediate area is not even remotely bad.

The Eisenhower? Yea, that cuts through some problem areas.

But as an example of how things have changed, I know literally dozens of people who came from out of state and relocated to areas like Pilsen and Logan Square. Young, 20-30 somethings. Who would have predicted Logan Square being hip 10 or 20 years ago? My office is probably comprised of 90% transplants from other midwestern states. Yes, there are significant challenges, but things have come a long way.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2011 01:19 PM by niuhuskie84.)
02-18-2011 01:05 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-18-2011 12:58 PM)niuhuskie84 Wrote:  [quote='GeorgeBorkFan' pid='6242559' dateline='1298048222']
I wouldnt call neighborhoods outside the near north "tired or dirty"...you're talking about a pretty massive swath of the city there. But it is obvious that Daley has ignored many outer neighborhoods at the expense of keeping downtown shiny and clean and rich. Thats a clear failure on his part. I hope the next mayor realizes the real challenges facing the city, works to improve the quality of life across all spectrums. I can't blame people for not wanting to live in Englewood.

I'm in agreement with you on the the assessment of Daley and his focus. When visitors speak of how beautiful the city is, they seem to focus on the mag mile, the theatres, Wrigley Field, etc. The city is much more than that. Many potholes in the neighborhoods are not being filled because that money goes for the cast iron fence and flowers downtown. The city is much more than the "city" that most people see/visit.
02-18-2011 01:10 PM
Advertisement

GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-18-2011 01:05 PM)niuhuskie84 Wrote:  Have YOU been around those areas recently?

You bet. Within the past three weeks.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2011 01:13 PM by GeorgeBorkFan.)
02-18-2011 01:12 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-18-2011 12:26 PM)chess Wrote:  
(02-18-2011 10:36 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  DeKalb is 60 miles from downtown, almost exactly. It could be said (though probably not yet effectively) that DeKalb is a Chicago suburb.

That is not insane. It is how the northeast works.

Nah, 60 mi in the NE, and you got yourself another city.
02-18-2011 01:15 PM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-18-2011 01:12 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(02-18-2011 01:05 PM)niuhuskie84 Wrote:  Have YOU been around those areas recently?

You bet. Within the past three weeks.

Dunno, maybe your tolerances are different than mine. But "University Village" around UIC is not bad, sorry. I also go down there every couple months for tacos at Maxwell Street Market (Manolos makes the best), never had problems or felt even remotely uncomfortable.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2011 01:29 PM by niuhuskie84.)
02-18-2011 01:21 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
I hope the population of Chicago increases by 4 towards the end of January, 2013.
02-18-2011 01:21 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(02-18-2011 01:05 PM)niuhuskie84 Wrote:  Have YOU been around those areas recently? Area around United Center...not great, but the West Loop and West Town neighborhoods which directly surround it have experienced phenomenal growth and rebirth. Still dicey, but vastly improved from the mid-late 90s.

I used to have a condo in Ukranian Village, right by Eckart Park, in the late 90's. (Realtor said it was Wicker Park. Ya right.)

I could see the United Center from my roof deck. I would drive Division to get downtown right through Cabrini Green without a second though, a couple times even taking some side street to get around an issue of some sort. No concerns, but the door did get locked.

So while I had zero concern in my immediate neighborhood, even I was afraid of the area surrounding the United Center.

True story.

I was once traveling south on Damen to get to the Ike to head back to my new place in Aurora. It was late, maybe around 3am but I was coming down from Roscoe Village and it was the most direct route.......

I had a green light, and out of the corner of my left eye I saw a late model grey car slowly moving, but at a steady rate of speed, through his red light into the my intersection.

Knowing the area I was in, and the time it was, I didn't honk or be an asss, I just let the dude go through and cut me off. Well he didn't turn south, but instead slowly cruised through the intersection and crashed into a light pole. As I drove by, I checked over my right should and there was a dude slumped over the wheel, and the driver's side window was busted out.......

Never figured out the who what why when and where of what happened, but I pretty sure I saw a dead guy shot through his car window.
02-18-2011 04:28 PM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Thats is nuts. There used to be a notorious liquor store at Damen/Madison that always attracted trouble. Drive by there any time in the summer and there were cars lined up for 1/2 a block waiting to buy drugs. It was leveled a year or two back, and its vastly improved that stretch. If nothing else, the loitering is gone.

The near west side in general really got hammered during the race riots, and never recovered.

This guy did a great photo essay on the churches along Damen, which are now eerily the only remnants of what was once a dense urban neighborhood. Now, parking lots.
http://achicagosojourn.blogspot.com/2011...rches.html

[Image: img-server.php?op=fetchHistoricPhotograp...5440000005]

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2011 05:15 PM by niuhuskie84.)
02-18-2011 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.