Trouble in Iran
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Trouble in Iran
Iranian Forces Fire Tear Gas to Dispel Protests

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:36 PM

By  Voice of America  

Iranian security forces have fired tear gas to disperse thousands of Iranians rallying in support of the popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt.

Witnesses say riot police, many of them on motorbikes, fanned out across central Tehran Monday as opposition groups vowed to rally despite the government's rejection of their request for a permit.

Opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi's website Kaleme reports that "Tehran security forces arrested dozens of protesters." There was no official confirmation of the detentions.

Protesters gathered in Tehran's squares, some chanting "death to the dictator" -- a slogan used by protesters against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad after the disputed 2009 presidential election.

Reformist leaders Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi said they called the rally to show solidarity with uprisings that ousted authoritarian leaders in Egypt and Tunisia. Iranian authorities warned the reformists against proceeding, calling it a ploy to mobilize an anti-government protest and revive their Green movement.

The website Kaleme, says Iranian police stationed several cars outside Mousavi's home in Tehran to prevent him and his wife, Zahra Rahnavard, from taking part in the planned gathering. It says authorities also cut telephone lines at Mousavi's house and severed his mobile phone connection.

Karroubi has been under house arrest in Tehran in recent days. Kaleme called the Iranian government's moves a sign of "weakness and fear."

Turkish President Abdullah Gul, on a visit to Tehran, called on Middle Eastern governments to listen to the demands of their people, although he did not mention Iran directly.

Mousavi and Karroubi headed the 2009 protests. The two reformists ran against Mr. Ahmadinejad and accused him of rigging the vote, a charge the government denies.

The 2009 protests ended in a violent crackdown by Iranian militiamen loyal to the clerical establishment. Scores of people were killed and wounded during demonstrations that lasted several months.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has praised this year's revolts in Egypt and Tunisia as an Islamic awakening, akin to the 1979 revolution that ousted Iran's U.S.-backed shah. Iranian reformists see the Arab protest movements more like r struggle against Iran's authoritarian clerical rulers.

On Saturday, U.S. national security adviser Thomas Donilon urged Tehran to give the Iranian people the same rights to assemble peacefully, demonstrate and communicate that Egyptian protesters won in Cairo.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2011 04:50 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-14-2011 04:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Trouble in Iran
Hope these guys aren't expecting any help from us in this. Obama has shown he won't side with protestors in Iran.
02-14-2011 04:52 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
You really want us to start a war in Iran?

We don't have much of a choice considering our current circumstances, we can't afford to get involved and don't have the man power to do so anyways. What could we realistically do to support the protesters that would have any legitimate effect?
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2011 05:30 PM by HuskieFan84.)
02-14-2011 05:29 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(02-14-2011 05:29 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  You really want us to start a war in Iran?

We don't have much of a choice considering our current circumstances, we can't afford to get involved and don't have the man power to do so anyways. What could we realistically do to support the protesters that would have any legitimate effect?

Start a war with Iran? You do understand that they support the terrorists that have killed Americans and our serviceman. From my prospective here, we already are at war with them.
02-14-2011 05:44 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(02-14-2011 05:29 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  You really want us to start a war in Iran?

Wont start a War with Iran. Sabotaging their Centrifuges was an Act of War, and they didn't do anything.

I know a few things to support the protesters and to "pour some gasoline on the fire so to speak"... and all it involves is getting some video out of Iran showing people being shot in the streets, Militia Thugs beating women, etc.

You need to drive a wedge between the Iranian Military and the Mullahs. Beating up defenseless people on a nationwide scale works wonders.

The Iranian Military will make short work of the Revolutionary Guards.
02-14-2011 05:47 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Iran is not Egypt. For things to change things will get bloody.
02-14-2011 06:47 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
With the Iranian legislature calling for the deaths of the opposition leaders, things could really get interesting if they follow through on it. For starters, those guys aren't much more than an incremental improvement over Ahmedenijad. But, that may be just what is needed for the protests to begin to spiral out of control.
02-15-2011 02:36 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-14-2011 05:44 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  

Start a war with Iran? You do understand that they support the terrorists that have killed Americans and our serviceman. From my prospective here, we already are at war with them.

So does Saudi Arabia. Do we invade them too?
02-15-2011 03:35 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(02-15-2011 03:35 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

It's tempting..... 05-stirthepot They've been deserving an ass kicking for a long time.
02-15-2011 03:37 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Sum.. Yes they've supported terrorists, but plenty of others have too. Do you really think it's practical to start a war with Iran right now? We're already unable to pay our bills and our military is stretched too thin as it is.

Not only that, do you think the results would be positive if we did do something there? Get real.. there's no benefits to us getting involved.
02-15-2011 03:43 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline

(02-15-2011 03:43 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Sum.. Yes they've supported terrorists, but plenty of others have too. Do you really think it's practical to start a war with Iran right now? We're already unable to pay our bills and our military is stretched too thin as it is.

Not only that, do you think the results would be positive if we did do something there? Get real.. there's no benefits to us getting involved.

When the Iranians overran the US embassy in '79, it was an act of war. We've heard Death to America ever since and even as they continue terrorist activities including killing innocents and servicemen, our response, sanctions. Death to the pedophile Allah, Death to Iran. There is no benefit unless we get involved.
02-15-2011 03:52 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Not so sure that Saudi Arabia is on the same scale as Iran, but there might be some benefit to taking over Mecca and Medina, it would flush out a lot of radicals to the killing fields of the desert. just kidding.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 04:01 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-15-2011 03:59 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-15-2011 03:59 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  

Not so sure that Saudi Arabia is on the same scale as Iran, but there might be some benefit to taking over Mecca and Medina, it would flush out a lot of radicals to the killing fields of the desert. just kidding.

Well, a majority of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, and I don't think any were from Iran, but maybe they just weren't invited, being Shia and all. And I know they teach the more radical Islam in Saudi Arabia, though Iran does have its mosques to stir up anti-western sentiment. At least in Iran they held a candle-light vigil in support of the victims of 9/11. Quite a few of them don't believe the mullahs' rhetoric.
02-15-2011 06:18 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl

There is enough US Armor and Infantry Fighting Vehicles presently based in Kuwait (along with associated Air Support) to take the Saudi Oil Fields along the Western Shore of the Persian/Arabian Gulf... if the Order should ever be given.

We didn't "accidentally" leave all that stuff there after we left Iraq... He He He..
02-15-2011 07:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.