Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Here's a perspective not often discussed
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Here's a perspective not often discussed
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/2...rich-lowry

Quote:Hosni Mubarak can count on at least one loyal supporter. Coptic Christian leader Pope Shenouda wants the anti-Mubarak protesters to stand down. He has two inarguable reasons to stick with the dictator: fear and experience.

Even if the Muslim Brotherhood doesn’t take over, there is every reason to believe that a democratically elected Egyptian government will become more Islamist and more hostile to the country’s roughly 8 million Christians, who are overwhelmingly Copts. As a horrifying premonition, the Copts need look no farther than democratic Iraq, where the ethnic cleansing of Christians is still unspooling, slowly but inexorably.
02-11-2011 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: Here's a perspective not often discussed
(02-11-2011 01:32 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/2...rich-lowry

Quote:Hosni Mubarak can count on at least one loyal supporter. Coptic Christian leader Pope Shenouda wants the anti-Mubarak protesters to stand down. He has two inarguable reasons to stick with the dictator: fear and experience.

Even if the Muslim Brotherhood doesn’t take over, there is every reason to believe that a democratically elected Egyptian government will become more Islamist and more hostile to the country’s roughly 8 million Christians, who are overwhelmingly Copts. As a horrifying premonition, the Copts need look no farther than democratic Iraq, where the ethnic cleansing of Christians is still unspooling, slowly but inexorably.

But we freed the Iraqis from a bad guy, right?
02-11-2011 04:25 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Post-Mubarak, I think Egypt gets even worse as opposed to better. I hope I'm wrong on this, but this is the Middle East we're talking about. Tolerance and individual freedoms aren't their strong suits.
02-11-2011 05:45 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
even that late night liberal political comic raised this concern supposedly 85% of the population favor Sharia law
02-11-2011 09:07 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(02-11-2011 04:25 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
Quote:As a horrifying premonition, the Copts need look no farther than democratic Iraq, where the ethnic cleansing of Christians is still unspooling, slowly but inexorably.
Yes, we did.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 12:17 AM by Native Georgian.)
02-12-2011 12:16 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(02-11-2011 01:32 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/2...rich-lowry

Who knew that the bulk of the other 25 million Iraqis were also fundamentally bad people? Of course, since it was the society that produced Sadaam, that was actually pretty well known, but it was not clear that they were as bad as they have proven to be.
02-14-2011 02:32 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
America can save the world. We just need to spend a little more money. 05-stirthepot
02-14-2011 02:42 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(02-14-2011 02:42 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  America can save the world. We just need to spend a little more money. 05-stirthepot
If it means the difference between (say) Mubarek or the Shah, on the one hand, and (say) bin Laden or Khomeini, on the other hand, then it's money well-squandered.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2011 03:17 PM by Native Georgian.)
02-14-2011 03:16 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(02-14-2011 02:32 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

Who knew that the bulk of the other 25 million Iraqis were also fundamentally bad people? Of course, since it was the society that produced Sadaam, that was actually pretty well known, but it was not clear that they were as bad as they have proven to be.

I might choose a different word than "bad", but the point is well taken.

My earlier comment about 85% preferring Sharia law feeds into this...

We assume that when a "bad" leader is overthrown, he will be replaced in a "free" election with someone who thinks about freedom as we do... Unfortunately, the freedom they often seem to seek is the freedom to stone women for being raped and to kill anyone who disagrees with their view of the world. Iran (numerous times) Iraq, now Egypt... the list is VERY long. They say words to us like religious freedom and we (lead by the media) jump on it like dogs in heat, but they don't seem to mean it in ANY way like WE do.

It's the very reason I'm liberal in many ways and on many issues, but could NEVER be a Democrat. Too many mainstream democrats (like the right wing fringe they so often villify) only want the freedom to control MY freedom... and NOT freedom itself. I THINK this is the reason for movements like Perot and the Tea Party.
02-14-2011 03:17 PM
Advertisement

Mr. Peanut Offline
Banned

I Root For: American Worker
(02-14-2011 03:16 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(02-14-2011 02:42 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  America can save the world. We just need to spend a little more money. 05-stirthepot
If it means the difference between (say) Mubarek or the Shah, on the one hand, and (say) bin Laden or Khomeini, on the other hand, then it's money well-squandered.

CONservatives never met a war they didn't like. Let me guess, you never served in the military... of course not
02-14-2011 03:21 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(02-14-2011 03:17 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  We assume that when a "bad" leader is overthrown, he will be replaced in a "free" election with someone who thinks about freedom as we do...
I've never assumed that. Not with respect to Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, or anywhere else.

Quote:Unfortunately, the freedom they often seem to seek is the freedom to stone women for being raped and to kill anyone who disagrees with their view of the world. Iran (numerous times) Iraq, now Egypt... the list is VERY long.
There is some truth in that, although I don't think it happens as "often" as many Americans seem to believe. But for me, the key element is not whether they allow people to enjoy the freedom/lifestyle that we in America take for granted. It's primarily a matter of whether they (I) forsake the acquisition of atomic/nuclear weapons, and (II) permit Americans (and citizens of America's allies) to live in peace. Those are huge differences, in exchange for which I am willing to pay a high price, and to grant a lot of leeway in terms of their internal arrangements.
02-14-2011 03:38 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(02-14-2011 03:21 PM)Mr. Peanut Wrote:  
(02-14-2011 03:16 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

CONservatives never met a war they didn't like. Let me guess, you never served in the military... of course not

Vietnam - Democrat
Korea - Democrat
Bosnia-Herzegovina - Democrat
Kosovo - Democrat
WWII - Democrat
WWI - Democrat

One would think it wouldn't be wise to make such an asinine claim with something as prominent and wide-spread as Google on every single network-connect PC in the world, but alas, there's you. ....and yes, I did serve in the military.
02-15-2011 08:59 AM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.